Gears of War 3 - Release Date Sept. 20

[quote name='KingBroly']Headshots is hard IF you don't have the proper gun. If everyone has a Retro, most likely it won't be done.[/QUOTE]

pistols work. Sometimes I dont even notice the challenges.

I'll do the challenges is they don't compromise the success of finishing the wave or me becoming a bullet sponge. scorching ppl or popping the flamethrower's tank is pretty easy, headshots can be a bit more nervewracking when everyone is shooting each other and in the back of your head you hear "BOOOOOM!"

[quote name='woodcan']Why is it that in public Horde matches nobody goes for the challenges except for the Chainsaw/Retro Lancer Charge challenge?

Even the 7 headshots challenge is not even hard. It's really easy to get the headshots with either the default or boltok pistol. That public Horde match I joined of yours yesterday 7th Number I was the only person who got any headshots and I would have gotten the challenge done myself if everyone else wasn't killing the enemies I was shooting at.[/QUOTE]

Yeah its kind of annoying that people dont go for challenges. Sometimes they dont even try to do the chainsaw one in the early rounds when its really easy. Then again the weapon drops i rarely use, maybe if its a boom or torque. If its mulcher, shields, or that new vulcan gun i wont use it. But the cash rewards are worth trying for.

So i ended up getting the Aficendo or whatever medal to onyx. Also boosted my rank from 71 to 75. Right now im doing the one where you can keep pressing the cole train run on whole grain sign while i browse the internet, since i dont have a rapid fire controller. For some reason when i tried it on the thrashball table it wasnt counting them all, i pressed it 100 times and maybe got half that? But the whole grain sign works fine. Not sure why that happens.

The headshot challenge is way harder than any of the others, especially in the later waves when you're barely managing to even stay alive. :) I usually don't even try for that one, but I find that my team almost always gets the other ones.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Yeah its kind of annoying that people dont go for challenges. Sometimes they dont even try to do the chainsaw one in the early rounds when its really easy. Then again the weapon drops i rarely use, maybe if its a boom or torque. If its mulcher, shields, or that new vulcan gun i wont use it. But the cash rewards are worth trying for.

So i ended up getting the Aficendo or whatever medal to onyx. Also boosted my rank from 71 to 75. Right now im doing the one where you can keep pressing the cole train run on whole grain sign while i browse the internet, since i dont have a rapid fire controller. For some reason when i tried it on the thrashball table it wasnt counting them all, i pressed it 100 times and maybe got half that? But the whole grain sign works fine. Not sure why that happens.[/QUOTE]

Arcade Stick + Wii Remote was my ticket to XP on that one.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Right now im doing the one where you can keep pressing the cole train run on whole grain sign while i browse the internet, since i dont have a rapid fire controller. For some reason when i tried it on the thrashball table it wasnt counting them all, i pressed it 100 times and maybe got half that? But the whole grain sign works fine. Not sure why that happens.[/QUOTE]

Try the piano in 1-1 instead because contrary to popular belief it does count every button press plus it's much faster than waiting for the Cole quotes to finish. Earlier this week I spent about 45 - 1 hr doing it while surfing the web and got around 1,000 done.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']Try the piano in 1-1 instead because contrary to popular belief it does count every button press plus it's much faster than waiting for the Cole quotes to finish. Earlier this week I spent about 45 - 1 hr doing it while surfing the web and got around 1,000 done.[/QUOTE]

I just did the piano 566 times (i had 1344/2000) and only gained 52. :/ Looks like its back to Cole train runs on whole grain baby, whoa! :whistle2:#

That medal is pretty weak. Regardless of how many times people play campaign, I don't see any other way of obtaining the Onyx medal or any of them without spending a lot of time pressing buttons over and over and over...etc. How/Why is this fun?

[quote name='The 7th Number']I just did the piano 566 times (i had 1344/2000) and only gained 52. :/ Looks like its back to Cole train runs on whole grain baby, whoa! :whistle2:#[/QUOTE]

the piano doesnt count each button press, i counted mine this morning too. I was roughly at half where i shouldve been for each press.

[quote name='KingBroly']Headshots is hard IF you don't have the proper gun. If everyone has a Retro, most likely it won't be done.[/QUOTE]
Down the enemy, then switch to your Snub Pistol. 2-3 shots to their head is a decapitation (especially if you active reload your Snub).

And yes, this always works. No need to rush around looking for Longshots when that challenge pops up.

The only 'impossible' one is when you have to Retro-Charge or Chainsaw, and you're using a Hammerburst. I'm too particular with my weapon skin to switch weapons for that one.

Also, it's probably common knowledge by now, but a Silverback counts as a Turret for the 7 Turret kills challenge.

[quote name='paz9x']the piano doesnt count each button press, i counted mine this morning too. I was roughly at half where i shouldve been for each press.[/QUOTE]
When using the Thrashball machine I noticed that if you didn't wait for the button prompt to show at the bottom of your screen it wasn't counting my presses. It would play the Cole Train voice-over, but since I had pressed it prematurely the count was off. That means you'll need to wait until the blue X button shows (seems that red B button prompts count as well, in certain situations), and then hit the button. Just gauge the pattern of it, and then you can switch to something else while casually tapping the button.

I got the doorman onyx. That brings me up to 10 onyx medals. Im only 26 horde challenges away from that onyx. I was playing horde tonight got to wave 21 before host quit, booted me back to menu.

Only campaign onyx medal i need is the 10x multiplier. But im not even going to go for that right now.

Oh and got to level 76.

[quote name='timesplitt']i tried act 2 chapter 7 with a second controller got to 10x. it didn't give me the force multiplier[/QUOTE]

i think when you reload the checkpoint it resets the multiplier.

Or you have to do it 10 times for the achievement. What i hate on Act 2 chap 7 is after you shoot the last barrage down, the reavers shoot at you. One little nick and it can turn your 10x into a full 9x meter. When that happens it pisses me off. LOL I mean how is a full 9x meter not a 10x!

For those of you who play online multiplayer matches, once you reach level 100 what will you do? Continue to play or just forget about the game? Not sure about buying dlc as I don't care for horde or campaign much and i'm halfway to getting that lvl 100 already. I don't see myself playing it more after I get there.

^
Currently, I'm level 91 and have 14 onyx medals. My goal is to get 30 onyx medals and the onyx skin for the Lancer (1940 kills at the moment). I might try to get the Golden Hunter after getting my 6,000 Lancer kills. Using different weapons will help keep the game interesting, changing my playstyle.

[quote name='popular penguin']Can you go into details? This interests me.[/QUOTE]

Turbo button on an Arcade Stick that's flat, then A or X button twice. X for Doorman on Campaign, A for boosting Last Man Out/Buttoned Up Ribbons.

Put a Wii Remote (Either a Standard Controller w/ no jacket or one with a WM+ in a jacket) on top of the selected button.

It's that simple.

why are people walking through my bullets? i cant move up two steps when being shot at. while others just stroll through my bullets to kill me. i mean im watching as they are being hit (blood and their shoulders twitch) but they get close enough and boom S.o.S'd. I S.o.S'd a guy as he was charging me and he whiffs thorough it to retrod me. infact i actually gnashed a guy and he chainsawd me. i watched as i was being killed by an invisible person.

Man i played some CTL tonight with a friend and it couldnt be more boring. Both leaders camping out with pretty much their whole team sticking by them. One or two would stray away to try to get the other leader. Whats worse is we were playing on sandbar and overpass one right after the other. We had to wait for sudden death a lot to get a match done and over with. Ive never been so bored playing Gears in my life. Then we played some warzone, dominated a team, they all left, continued to play against bots and zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz more boring.

interesting boosting methods...makes a lot of sense though.

edit: huh...seems with the Best Buy Mechanic Baird code fiasco, they sent me another set via email a week after release date. Let me verify if it's valid, then I'll make it available for trade in this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='The 7th Number']Man i played some CTL tonight with a friend and it couldnt be more boring. Both leaders camping out with pretty much their whole team sticking by them. One or two would stray away to try to get the other leader. Whats worse is we were playing on sandbar and overpass one right after the other. We had to wait for sudden death a lot to get a match done and over with. Ive never been so bored playing Gears in my life. Then we played some warzone, dominated a team, they all left, continued to play against bots and zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz more boring.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I started playing CTL last night with a team of 4 and 1 random, the random usually fucked things up for us but we usually would recover so basically we were always playing 4 on 5.

Playing on Mercy, holy fucking campfest. One round took an hour and me and a buddy basically had to kill their whole team to get to the leader, luckily that 2x over time means you pick up the leader and you win other wise it would have lasted longer.

I think CTL is a bullshit game type though, you can shoot through the leader and take all the damage, whats the point of picking the leader up other than making the game type more aggrevating than it needs to be? Just bring back guardian already.

Damn man, i have played 858 waves of horde and im at $1,450,347/$5,000,000 to get Big Money Onyx medal. That is seriously gunna take a long ass time. Thats like $1,690 dollars per wave. Going by that average, it will take me 2,100 more waves to get to $5,000,000.

Also i think from now on, when i watch NFL on sundays, im just going to let my game run on private matches to get the specific match type games played medals.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Damn man, i have played 858 waves of horde and im at $1,450,347/$5,000,000 to get Big Money Onyx medal. That is seriously gunna take a long ass time. Thats like $1,690 dollars per wave. Going by that average, it will take me 2,100 more waves to get to $5,000,000.

Also i think from now on, when i watch NFL on sundays, im just going to let my game run on private matches to get the specific match type games played medals.[/QUOTE]

im pretty close to the same pace. Im not happy about the xp nerf either, had some pretty good matches and was pulling maybe 2/3 of the xp i had in the past.

Confirmed: Best Buy sent me an extra set of Mechanic Baird DLC via email. It's valid, and available to the Gears in this thread.

If you've got the Savage Kantus or Savage Grenadier Elite; let's swap right away!! =)

Btw, how much longer, in terms of years, do we gotta grind til Gears 4 anyway? this idle stuff kinda bothers me, but if it's the only way....besides going blind. idk, throws off my stats, which I kinda like.

So i was playing a little private KOTH today. I had 1289 Lancer kills before, ended with 1570.

Playing time: 55 min
Kills: 281
Kills per round: 46

So if i averaged 280 kills per hour, it would take me 16 more hours to get Onyx Lancer skin. One thing thats good about KOTH is the bots will down guys and leave them alone for a few seconds, giving you an easy kill. Plus the enemy bots pay attention to other bots, or the ring more than you sometimes. Hardest part is having enough ammo, they sure like to drop gnashers, retro, and sawed offs. Barely any Lancers.

I was also trying to do a private match with 2 controllers to see if i could get some ribbons im missing, but it doesnt seem to work unless there are full teams. Which makes boosting for the "execute your nemesis" ribbon even harder.

Anyone who wants to go through waves 1-50 horde, please add me to your friends' list. I only need 21-50, but I'll start where-ever you want. I need some CAG buddies to play Gears with... don't really know anyone with the game sadly.

Debating on getting the "season pass." What do you guys think?

Its kind of funny how fast you can get to 100 in this game compared to Gears 2. I mean the game hasnt been out a month and people are already 100s. They should have made it where it would at least take 6 to 12 months to get to 100. I mean with how long it will take to get all these onyx medals, its not like you would be waiting on getting to 100 after you get all those medals.

Tonights been laggy, even though cliff said the servers were up. Some dude said i was lagging, i saw another guy lagging. I saw someone take a retro like a champ, i evade behind someone and get gnashered. All kinds of lag.

Hmmm i have 2 vengeful medals, i guess they do work 1 vs 1 in private. I didnt think it worked because at the end it said medals 0. I dont see how i got them any other way.

Well... tonight was certainly hilarious, frustrating and informative all at once.

- Epic implementing Wingman spawn points for King of the Hill was the second worst idea they have ever come up with... seriously. The SOS obviously shares the number one spot with Execution/Warzone losing two rounds and CTL replacing Guardian (IMO).

Try keeping a level head on Mercy when players on both teams LITERALLY. SPAWN. TOGETHER. less than a few feet across from one another because they not only share points, but the timer as well. Being molested by a barrage of rifle fire after a three trek step out of your spawn is TONS of fun. Especially when 3 - 4 guys spawn behind you at once after you pick up a power weapon or in the middle of a 1v1.

Now apply the same spawn protection you no longer have into the mix and well... let the rage consume you. I lost count of how many times I died repeatedly tonight due to such epic bullshit. It got worse when I realized campers perching on points give said point priority to their team. One guy managed to stay alive long enough so the rest of his squad would always spawn on HIM which conveniently happened to reside inches away from the next ring.

Lovely.

I mean... is it really that difficult to lock down spawn points that are currently OCCUPIED by someone like the opposing team for instance? I guess so. Whatever.

- Netting consecutive wins off host against host abusing teams with only you and a friend handed the task of carrying your clueless band of misfits to victory is truly a priceless affair. So many quitters, so much comeback king domination, so rewarding beating campers, Hammerburst mods, SOS scrubs and terrible wall bouncing 100s at their own game.

Still I must ask... where the fuck are my servers, Epic!? Jesus f*cking Christ am I sick to death of working so hard to beat near impossible odds every. single. game. Sheesh.

- I... totally forgot my last gripe. Oh, I remember now. The Overpass power weapon tweak is dangerously close to strengthening hill campers more than the original set up. Torque was a fine logical addition as a deterrent, but Boom? Seriously? Replacing both Hammer and Mortar for that? Ugh. Longshot would have been a much better choice. As it stands now only Boomshot surgeons like myself have a reasonable success rate of clearing people out. Mortar and Hammer brought a necessary risk/scare factor into play forcing campers to abandon posts for a few precious seconds. Usually scattering out in open into rifle fire and being spotted. Longshot would mitigate long engagements entirely. Not sure what they were thinking adding Boom into the mix at all.

7 more levels to go until I reach 100. I'm looking forward to Gold Omen. I got a chance to peep it in game a couple days ago and the omen is MUCH larger than I expected. Delightfully obnoxious, totally unexpected.

I got to level 78 tonight. Thanks to everyone quitting and leaving me with a bunch of bots. So i played for about an hour and a half against bots because apparently no one can join my games. But i didnt mind, getting 20-30 kills a game in TDM, all wins, and 5000+ xp each match helped me out a bit.

Im sick of the map rotation. I even asked Rod on twitter if they can fix it. Its like every 3rd map is one we played 2 maps ago. Checkout, Mercy, Checkout, Trenches, Mercy, Thrashball, Gridlock, Overpass, Thrashball..... its just annoying. Next time i play im going to write down what maps show up just to see. I played for like 2 hours tonight, and not ONCE did i play on Sandbar, only once played drydock. But gridlock, checkout, and old town seemed to pop up enough. I dont hate those maps, but wow when you keep playing them over and over it gets old.

Played for the first time yesterday and had a pretty good time. Granted I'm pretty awful at the game but once I left TDM and started playing the game type where it's 4 teams of 2 I had a lot more fun. The stupid sawed of shotgun is extremely annoying and isn't as prevalent in the other game type (or at least not when I played).

The guy on my team though was kinda being a little bitch. I guess I "stole" his kill so he decided to not play for 3 or 4 rounds. The Internet equivalent of throwing a hissy fit I guess. Luckily I managed to take down two teams with the scorcher. Totally lucky, but hey we still won!

I played for a good bit last night and I swear there were no dedicated servers. Gears3 definitely hides the lag much better than Gears 2, but I could tell it wasn't dedicated. :(

Torque Bow Tag is live, everyone starts with a torque, snub, smoke, and all pickups are torques. I havent played yet but i will asap, sounds like fun... hey at least they removed SOS! :D This most likely counts towards the socialite medal. GO GO GO!

I dont think they changed anything with the SOS, last night it didnt seem any different. In fact i dont even remember anyone "missing" me with a sos shot. I remember i downed someone with it, but was obviously shot before hand by someone else.

No SOS = pure bliss. TBT is undeniable proof how much fun an Old School playlist would be in this game. Since it's regular TDM though your leaderboard stats for each respective branch counts. I'd kill for a Boomshot or HoD version of this. They seriously should have made it a permanent game type for retail. ;(

[quote name='The 7th Number']Torque Bow Tag is live, everyone starts with a torque, snub, smoke, and all pickups are torques. I havent played yet but i will asap, sounds like fun... hey at least they removed SOS! :D This most likely counts towards the socialite medal. GO GO GO![/QUOTE]
I thought Ticker Tuesday was the next thing on the schedule? Was this a "surprise" event? Nice to see the Socialite achievement might not take as long as I originally thought.

[quote name='TehMuff1nM4n']I'm confused as to how he got them as codes. They are linked to your gamer tag as far as I remember.[/QUOTE]
I was wondering the same thing. I wonder if this is one of those things where you're actually buying the login info for the Live account that he played the beta on. (Which probably wouldn't work either, since IIRC you need a beta save file on your HDD to get the flaming weapons.)

Just finished a match of Torque-Bow Tag.

I thought I was bad with the sniper rifle, well I suck even worse with the bow, but the game was fun. At least, when everybody is using the bow. Seems like some peeps got frustrated and switched to the pistol for their main weapon. I can't complain too much though because we won our match because our last man standing switched to pistol and finished off the final 3 enemies.

Torque bow tag is pretty fun. The only thing i saw, and started to do myself, was rush with a smoke, tag them which insta downs them, then meatshield them. Its kind of cheap but oh well. What else am i going to do when i run out of torque bow ammo, and it seems to take forever for the pickups to respawn. Also i suck with the snub. But tagging them can be really hard, even if you are humping their leg, sometimes it doesnt seem to want to tag them. But i can get melee'd with a torque from 3 feet away.

I actually got a trick shot in one of the games. (headshot with torque that leads to a 2nd kill)

Here is a list of games i just played, all 12 in a row, without quitting out.

Overpass
Checkout
Thrashball
Hotel
Thrashball
Sandbar
Hotel
Checkout
Sandbar
Mercy
Thrashball
Hotel

So i had to play thrashball, hotel, checkout, and sandbar more than once, while i never even got to play old town, gridlock, trenches or drydock. If i play 12 matches i should have played every map there is. I dont know why they dont make it where it goes in order, all 10, then repeat.

Just ground out the remaining Number 1 medals I needed for the achievement using the "Grab what you need and keep moving" method (aka Act 2 Chapter 2). Once I get from 44 to 50 I'll have every achievement it's possible to get. :lol:

bread's done
Back