Gears of War 3 - Release Date Sept. 20

I'm pretty much hopeless at the competitive gametypes. I'll play some for fun once in a while but for the most part I like to stick to the modes where I can make an actual contribution to my team. :)

I've had pretty good luck playing public Horde with randoms. Beaten 1-49 twice and 1-50 once. If someone drops out I just send invites to everyone on my friends list playing Gears until I get a bite.

No way in hell am I going to grind 3,000 matches for each gametype. Going for Seriously 3.0 is the biggest time suck. Instead of double xp events, Epic should make double medal events (1 TDM match counts as 2 for the medal).
My goal is to get the Embry Star (30 Onyx medals) and the Onyx skins. Aiming for Seriously 3.0 is unrealistic.

[quote name='hustletron']Ryu we are already friends, we should get some games in too.[/QUOTE]
Sounds good man.

[quote name='popular penguin']No way in hell am I going to grind 3,000 matches for each gametype. Going for Seriously 3.0 is the biggest time suck. Instead of double xp events, Epic should make double medal events (1 TDM match counts as 2 for the medal).
My goal is to get the Embry Star (30 Onyx medals) and the Onyx skins. Aiming for Seriously 3.0 is unrealistic.[/QUOTE]
Seriously 3.0 is way beyond ridiculous. Even with boosting/idling in addition to normal playing, 18,000 versus matches seems like it would take months or years. Not to mention the things like executing your nemesis and destroying a tagged grenade that happen so rarely in normal play that they are practically begging to be boosted. Oh, and don't forget playing through the campaign 16 times in arcade mode, because playing a game's campaign 16 times is a totally natural thing to do. :lol:

played a bit yesterday and it seems the hidden lag is worse than ever. I write "hidden" since I am not teleporting and shots are using up ammo. Guys just aren't dying as much when I point blank the SOS or gnasher, and the lancer is racking up downs as much. had to join someone's game until I finally started racking up points but there was still some hidden lag.

I hope Epic fixes servers and has some kind of indication as to whether or not the current match is hosted via p2p or server.

also CAGs fr me (gt is exactly the same as my CAG id) and spam invites; I might even join!

After hearing your feedback, we have reduced the gib range of the Sawed Off Shotgun in Gears of War 3 and it no longer gibs farther than the gnasher, effective today. We want to thank you for your helping us to make Gears of War 3 the best of the series.

So basically it's back to being a "melee" weapon?

I was never successful in getting a kill at long range so nothing new for me i guess.

I didn't notice any real difference playing earlier today, but will fire up a private soon to see what's real. I also heard they decreased the xp gains by 40%. I assume that would account for the slow down I mentioned in the mid 80s.

[quote name='hustletron']I don't recall you mentioning idling in private matches I only said something because I was under the impression you were doing it in pubs and because it sucks for the people like me who actually enjoy playing multiplayer and then we have 1 or 2 people doing nothing, it's literally playing 3 or 4 against 5.

I agree the requirements are ridiculous and if Epic doesn't change that then they're dumb too, regardless of what you do with your game, it's your game and to each their own, it's just aggrevating losing because you're outnumbered every round.

So I retract my statement towards you and being dumb, but enough people idle in pubs for me to make that assumption and those people are fucking dumb.[/QUOTE]

I never said it was public matches either. I still don't know why you'd assume it was public matches. For one thing, it kicks you automatically for not participating and it takes less than five minutes of idleing for it to happen. And if I did it in public I'd have to sit through the entire game while in private match I can set it to one round, one minute and complete hundreds of matches in my sleep.

I also have a higher chance of getting wins and 100% less hate mail in private. Only a moron would try to idle for medals in a public match.

You, sir, have insulted my honor. I challenge you to a duel.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']I also heard they decreased the xp gains by 40%. I assume that would account for the slow down I mentioned in the mid 80s.[/QUOTE]

Well, that sucks. At least I made it to level 87 before the xp cut, assuming it started today.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Does anyone know, can you prestige the medals, like can I earn the XP bonuses again by building another 1000? That would be nice. :lol:[/QUOTE]
You do get it again, but only for hitting the Onyx level...again. No repetitive XP for the Bronze, Silver or Gold redundancies, just for hitting Onyx. This only seems to apply to Onyx levels where you accumulate over time, and not the single play through ones for Campaign or Horde.

Also, when you Onyx it again it imposes a number over the medal. So, since I have Field Engineer Onyxed twice, there is a 2 over my medal.

And don't forget that they are modifying Vengeful for Title Update 2, lowering it's requirement. Don't be surprised if over the next year they lower the requirements to hit Seriously 3.0 in order to keep the community active and copies from being sold as used.

[quote name='bs000']I never said it was public matches either. I still don't know why you'd assume it was public matches. For one thing, it kicks you automatically for not participating and it takes less than five minutes of idleing for it to happen. And if I did it in public I'd have to sit through the entire game while in private match I can set it to one round, one minute and complete hundreds of matches in my sleep.

I also have a higher chance of getting wins and 100% less hate mail in private. Only a moron would try to idle for medals in a public match. Thanks for immediately assuming I'm a moron.

You, sir, have insulted my honor. I challenge you to a duel.[/QUOTE]

I don't know if I would go as far as to say you're a moron, but you're idling for make believe points too as opposed to playing for them like most people would "normally". Not my style and I wouldn't do it, but like I said in a prior post, to each their own.

I wouldn't know where to begin as far as trying to idle for medals so I feel my assumption was valid.

[quote name='The Ebbtide']You do get it again, but only for hitting the Onyx level...again. No repetitive XP for the Bronze, Silver or Gold redundancies, just for hitting Onyx. This only seems to apply to Onyx levels where you accumulate over time, and not the single play through ones for Campaign or Horde.

Also, when you Onyx it again it imposes a number over the medal. So, since I have Field Engineer Onyxed twice, there is a 2 over my medal.

And don't forget that they are modifying Vengeful for Title Update 2, lowering it's requirement. Don't be surprised if over the next year they lower the requirements to hit Seriously 3.0 in order to keep the community active and copies from being sold as used.[/QUOTE]

I hope they do reduce the Seriously 3.0 stuff.

I was gonna get on tonight....but I'm downloading the Ghost Recon Online beta so I probably won't be on tonight.

In case you didnt see it, @Hammerofwynn said that the liquid green skins that you can get via jack in the box, will become available for download on xblm for 320 ms points on January 3rd. Glad i got mine for free.

[quote name='GUNNM']I'm surprised they didn't charge to use Griffin[/QUOTE]

Seriously, they are really going to town with the nickle and diming us.

I had EastX buy me some drinks so I eventually got 1 green skin set code, I paid over 320 but I don't mind since it went to a fellow CAG. I wouldn't have bought it for 320 MSP regardless.

[quote name='Pirate331']Do us all a favor and break your copy in half.[/QUOTE]
GOW3 is serious business.

I know for a fact bs is pretty solid in the game. We played a bunch of TDM matches earlier. You can't begrudge someone for simply trying to find a way to get through some of the tedious bullshit requirements for Seriously 3.0. I don't see how its any different than people replaying the same chapter over & over in arcade with an idle second controller for those medals. I know he's a completionist, & I know he has all (or close to it) of the achievements in the previous GOW games.

Personally I have no intention of getting Seriously 3.0. I am however idling for that stupid Battle Mistress Onyx because I'm fucking tired of hearing Queen Myrrah.

[quote name='hustletron']It seems like the general population of CAGs on Gears enjoys Beast and Horde more than competitive, I typically play competitive more than Beast/Horde but I'd like to change that and try and power through all 50 waves in 1 sitting sometime if anyone has a group they play with usually.[/QUOTE]
I like both personally. I'm awful at the competitive stuff but I'm trying to get better. Having a group of people who communicate and make callouts makes a huge difference so I wouldn't mind playing with some CAGS. I also wouldn't mind getting a group for Insane Beast w/o failing. I know you can't play on Insane in matchmaking, but I can't EVER get a game of Beast. Plus I need more Wretch kills for the Instagib :lol:

anyone playing tonight and sandbar randomly had a flamethrower where boom/digger is and a boom down at oneshot? weird.

also, not related to gears but what was the update for on xbox today? seemed like a bigger than usual update but didnt seem to change anything

I was playing horde today on public, and we were on wave 30. From wave 11-30 i was using the silverback, and it was going great. So we are on wave 30, 3 enemies left, host quits. We get the loading screen, the game starts up again.... on wave 10. Also silverback is locked, i dont have enough cash to buy it again. So i was going to quit when Ryukushi sent me an invite ......

So i joined Ryukushis horde, he was playing hustletron9000. We had 1 brumak left, and i was the only one alive at the time. We were playing on hotel. So i was going around the side of the hotel to go in the side door while the brumak was chasing me from the back. So i go in, get to a corner and turn around waiting for the brumak to appear in the doorway. All of a sudden i hear something behind me to the left... i turn around and BRUMAK!!! Somehow he teleported into the hotel behind me. I didnt know the locust had this type of technology. :D

[quote name='The 7th Number']I was playing horde today on public, and we were on wave 30. From wave 11-30 i was using the silverback, and it was going great. So we are on wave 30, 3 enemies left, host quits. We get the loading screen, the game starts up again.... on wave 10. Also silverback is locked, i dont have enough cash to buy it again. So i was going to quit when Ryukushi sent me an invite ......

So i joined Ryukushis horde, he was playing hustletron9000. We had 1 brumak left, and i was the only one alive at the time. We were playing on hotel. So i was going around the side of the hotel to go in the side door while the brumak was chasing me from the back. So i go in, get to a corner and turn around waiting for the brumak to appear in the doorway. All of a sudden i hear something behind me to the left... i turn around and BRUMAK!!! Somehow he teleported into the hotel behind me. I didnt know the locust had this type of technology. :D[/QUOTE]

For me when the host quits it goes back to wave 1. Seems like an odd thing for Epic to put in there on purpose.

On a side note they should have brought back social horde

[quote name='yankeessuck']On a side note they should have brought back social horde[/QUOTE]

I don't remember this, explain it to me. Isn't it just searching for a random horde party?

But yeah, Hotel sucks because it causes the Brumak to glitch a lot.

[quote name='iNFiNiTE HORiZON']anyone playing tonight and sandbar randomly had a flamethrower where boom/digger is and a boom down at oneshot? weird.

also, not related to gears but what was the update for on xbox today? seemed like a bigger than usual update but didnt seem to change anything[/QUOTE]
According to Major Nelson, it was just a regular maintenance update. Probably some prep for the new dashboard update.

After a few hours of Versus with a friend of mine I can confirm the changes are ONLY visible on dedicated servers. Since every game we played on was P2P the SOS was unchanged. Same for the power weapon tweaks to Sandbar and Overpass; nothing changed.

On that note it's time for me to take another detour from multiplayer before I punch the nearest old lady in the face. We lost count of how many matches we won paired up with useless bots against quitters and incoming players off host. After the seventh match in a row of the game deliberately shoving EVERY new player on the OPPOSING TEAM we couldn't take it anymore. Pretty f*cking ridiculous how the team with LESS people is the last to fill up regardless of the game stats. Bad enough we confirmed host migrates in Social (been a nagging suspicion of mine since launch week)

I appreciate Epic at least trying to resolve some of the gaping problems in their game, but man... do I hope they are keeping track of them all. Crank the f*cking bots up to Insane please. Ugh. Oh, and separate those characters skins from the DLC while you're at it. I still want Bernie. That is... assuming you aren't going to charge $10 - $20 tag for the privilege. Btw when are you going to give me Alex damnit? ;'(

[quote name='The 7th Number']We had 1 brumak left, and i was the only one alive at the time. We were playing on hotel. So i was going around the side of the hotel to go in the side door while the brumak was chasing me from the back. So i go in, get to a corner and turn around waiting for the brumak to appear in the doorway. All of a sudden i hear something behind me to the left... i turn around and BRUMAK!!! Somehow he teleported into the hotel behind me. I didnt know the locust had this type of technology. :D[/QUOTE]
Yeah, that was super bizarre. For a minute I thought the game had spawned a second Brumak.

I was playing CTL where my team of bots went against a guy and his guest. 9/10 matches one of them is leader, so they always stick together. However, I'm leader 0/10 of the time. I pretty much had 0% chance of winning because my leader decides to challenge the team alone & get captured. My bots are so dumb. When I was in ghost cam, I found my leader aiming at the sky. I could only imagine how long he was looking at the sun, burning his virtual retinas. Other times, my bots are having staring contests with walls or camping 100 meters away from the battle. Once, I saw my leader stand in front of a wall and down himself with a Boomshot by shooting the wall as soon as the enemy got close.

Man horde did it again, joined a buddies game, host quits on round 20 when i have silverback, game picks new host, silverback locked, end up on round 10. So everyone started quitting after that.

Silverback is awesome for getting point man ribbons. Every time i have the silverback im almost guaranteed the point man ribbon unless someone mans a turret and gets more kills. So if you are looking to get those ribbons, without boosting it, thats a pretty nice way to get them.

I still need to reach max in Turrets, Decoys, and Silverback. Im about 50% through silverback. When i play horde publicly, its pretty much the only thing i buy now. Once i get that done, i think 2nd level is the max, ill go back to buying dummies/turrets.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']After a few hours of Versus with a friend of mine I can confirm the changes are ONLY visible on dedicated servers. Since every game we played on was P2P the SOS was unchanged. Same for the power weapon tweaks to Sandbar and Overpass; nothing changed.

On that note it's time for me to take another detour from multiplayer before I punch the nearest old lady in the face. We lost count of how many matches we won paired up with useless bots against quitters and incoming players off host. After the seventh match in a row of the game deliberately shoving EVERY new player on the OPPOSING TEAM we couldn't take it anymore. Pretty f*cking ridiculous how the team with LESS people is the last to fill up regardless of the game stats. Bad enough we confirmed host migrates in Social (been a nagging suspicion of mine since launch week)
[/QUOTE]
I really wish it would give SOME sort of indication of when you're on dedicated servers or on P2P.

The other thing is the way the game balances teams is ridiculous. I'd say a good 60-70% of the games are landslide victories. You either get lucky & have all solid players on your team or unlucky & have bots/idiots/people who don't communicate. When you do finally get a good team, it rebalances everything the next game. I realize its to kind of compensate for bots, but people usually leave right before the match starts anyways - meaning a higher chance of getting stuck with bots.

[quote name='Indignate']I don't remember this, explain it to me. Isn't it just searching for a random horde party?

But yeah, Hotel sucks because it causes the Brumak to glitch a lot.[/QUOTE]

Yeah and you could join in progress. It was perfect for people who wanted to play for 5 minutes or for 2 hours.

I have an extra Liquid Green weapon skin code, if anyone wants to trade for a Mechanic Baird code (my friend has been looking for one). If I get any more codes after that one I'll probably put them up for any CAG who wants one. :)

[quote name='MtlTom']I really wish it would give SOME sort of indication of when you're on dedicated servers or on P2P.

The other thing is the way the game balances teams is ridiculous. I'd say a good 60-70% of the games are landslide victories. You either get lucky & have all solid players on your team or unlucky & have bots/idiots/people who don't communicate. When you do finally get a good team, it rebalances everything the next game. I realize its to kind of compensate for bots, but people usually leave right before the match starts anyways - meaning a higher chance of getting stuck with bots.[/QUOTE]

The sad thing is they did a better job of notifying us of server status via the news com in the main menu during the beta than they have in retail. May have been late by a day or two, but it was there. If you aren't following them on Twitter or lurking the official forums you're shit out of luck when it comes to reliable info.

Now that I've had a chance to play on a server connection for a few games today (Sandbar had the power weapon swaps - Oneshot and Digger are gone; Boom now alternates with HoD spawn and the main hill replaced Boom/Digger with a permanent Scorcher) when the SOS range nerf works it's appreciated. Does a decent job of mitigating a free kill for roadie running scrubs, but a simple shot delay would have probably made everyone happy. The problem is when people started quitting the nerf magically disappeared. The SOS went back to the same rage inducing 10 feet gib range. They seriously need to get to work on that TU2 update because as it stands even on server the changes aren't 100% consistent.

I really appreciate the effort from Epic. If they keep this up and nerf the nickle and diming next I'll feel comfortable buying DLC. I won't touch the Horde pack though if the character skins aren't available outside of it. A shame as I wanted to play Azura as a MP map ever since I reached it in campaign.

The latest post about the sawed off on Joystiq indicates that the change is only in ranked matches. Which makes me wonder Quick Match = P2P / Ranked = dedicated servers?

[quote name='LinkinPrime']The latest post about the sawed off on Joystiq indicates that the change is only in ranked matches. Which makes me wonder Quick Match = P2P / Ranked = dedicated servers?[/QUOTE]
Link?

Do you mean this: "f you're looking to avoid the Gears shotgun frustration fest®, head into a "ranked match" instead of "quick match" to reduce the odds of being shredded."

They're just meaning that the lancer is used a LOT more than the shotguns in ranked versus quick match.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']The latest post about the sawed off on Joystiq indicates that the change is only in ranked matches. Which makes me wonder Quick Match = P2P / Ranked = dedicated servers?[/QUOTE]

Yes and no.

It's honestly random because both are affected by servers. Ranked is supposed to have priority over Social, but this is by no means a guarantee you won't be assigned to a player connection playing on it. There are plenty of ways to tell you're on P2P especially if you're a GoW 2 vet, played in the beta and retail during launch week. When you've been trained for 3+ years to identify lag the differences become pretty dramatic. Of course the lucky legion of morons who swear they have never played on P2P in this game will call you an ignorant noob with a terrible connection. Despite the fact you have a better k/d, w/l, watch your teammates lag whilst roadie running in ghost cam and then stomp them in the next game when host migrates to your side.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wta5Icmc9so

in social games, the guns which get the most kills...

45% - Gnasher
27% - SOS
16% - Lancer
8% - Retro
4% - Hammerburst

Im a little surprised the Lancer isnt higher. Im glad they finally nerfed the SOS, because this shows its too powerful.

Nice video Broly.... i might do that before they have a chance to patch it, not sure if they will though. I think im close to those onyx medals anyway so it wont take long.

I already have onyx King of COG. Survivalist and Number 1 i only have 79/120 and 80/120. And i only have those on silver so 2 more levels to get. Nice that they are close together.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think they need to have everything non-game type specific Medal related add up in every game type. For example, if Campaign kills were included, my Lancer kill count would automatically increase by 3,036. I was at 500+ or so. Otherwise, the best thing to do is KOTH, Casual Bots, 240, 15 rounds to win. You get 45-55 Kills per round.

I doubt they can patch checkpoints in Campaign, so have at it. I wish I saw the video before I traded it in
BatmanBatmanBatman
, but when the GOTY edition comes out next October or so, I'll be sure to try it out. I'll be sure to keep the Game Installed on my HDD, too. Just in case Microsoft screws up the update and allows games to be played without the disc.

for some wpn kills it would be as easy and reloading a checkpoint and pulling the trigger at some unlucky group of polyps. i think part of the biggest issue is players want to max out everything so quickly and the game isn't even a month old yet. this was a big complaint in Reach...while I do admit Seriously 3.0 is certainly insane in it's requirements but grinding out medals is definitely a part of the draw for Gears replayability.

it seems epic is listening so, i'm sure they'll accommodate the players and address things like the inhuman requirements and make them more doable.

[quote name='100xp']for some wpn kills it would be as easy and reloading a checkpoint and pulling the trigger at some unlucky group of polyps. i think part of the biggest issue is players want to max out everything so quickly and the game isn't even a month old yet. this was a big complaint in Reach...while I do admit Seriously 3.0 is certainly insane in it's requirements but grinding out medals is definitely a part of the draw for Gears replayability.

it seems epic is listening so, i'm sure they'll accommodate the players and address things like the inhuman requirements and make them more doable.[/QUOTE]

Weapon Kill Medals exclude Campaign and Horde at the moment.

[quote name='KingBroly']Weapon Kill Medals exclude Campaign and Horde at the moment.[/QUOTE]

yarrr...for some reason I thought horde was included. you do however get credit for kills etc in private matches no? vs bot? (boring and tedious as that is may seem after a while)

[quote name='hustletron']I'm sad we made it to 48 and then everyone left ;([/QUOTE]

wow...but if you someone hosts they can start at wave 48 next time right? or does that gimp your fortifications and starting money?

I'll be down for some Horde/Beast next week. I have a business trip and some JitB drinks to buy because they dont have them where I live.

[quote name='hustletron']I'm sad we made it to 48 and then everyone left ;([/QUOTE]
Yeah sorry buddy. I was the host so it was I who pulled the trigger after that last wipe. :whistle2:# One of the non-CAGs playing had told me that he was getting too tired to continue playing and I was starting to feel the same way. It just wasn't meant to be. Next time though!

I did that trick in act 2, chapter 2. It took about an hour for me to finish those 2 onyx medals off. I still need Afaciendo or whatever it is called in onyx. LOL. But i ranked up from 69-71 in the process and my score was about 28,000 per round. I just redid that level on insane, Mutators super reload, enemy regeneration, and must active reload. Got to the end without dying, single player, and get 128,516 points each time. Just wanted to see if it would boost my rank up faster.

I just passed 340/500 for onyx medal i still need. Completing arcade chapters is what i think its for. Each time takes about 30 seconds to do and reload. So another 80 minutes and it will be done LOL. Not sure im gunna do that now.

Last night i had a weird glitch in horde, i was doing a private horde with a buddy to help him get the achievement. Anyway we both died in a wave, i restarted the wave and he respawned but i was stuck in camera mode like i was dead. So he ended up dying because he was alone. Then i restarted the wave again and instantly it said we both died. Then restarted it again and it was back to normal. But i dont know why it did that.

Why is it that in public Horde matches nobody goes for the challenges except for the Chainsaw/Retro Lancer Charge challenge?

Even the 7 headshots challenge is not even hard. It's really easy to get the headshots with either the default or boltok pistol. That public Horde match I joined of yours yesterday 7th Number I was the only person who got any headshots and I would have gotten the challenge done myself if everyone else wasn't killing the enemies I was shooting at.

[quote name='woodcan']Why is it that in public Horde matches nobody goes for the challenges except for the Chainsaw/Retro Lancer Charge challenge?

Even the 7 headshots challenge is not even hard. It's really easy to get the headshots with either the default or boltok pistol. That public Horde match I joined of yours yesterday 7th Number I was the only person who got any headshots and I would have gotten the challenge done myself if everyone else wasn't killing the enemies I was shooting at.[/QUOTE]

Headshots is hard IF you don't have the proper gun. If everyone has a Retro, most likely it won't be done.

bread's done
Back