Gears Of War: Judgment - Lost Relics DLC out now VIP - 6/25 for Non VIP

All the guns are labeled "toys"... and they're neon colors. I kind of want that purple Gnasher. And they have "Chicks Dig the Baird" shirts, awesome!

I'm sure it will show up sooner or later, very odd that its only for girls. I went with the Onyx on impulse, but I really want the Baird armor.

Xbox Rewards offer this month is 80 points back on a 240 point Avatar purchase, for anyone considering splurging on some Judgment gear. :)

[quote name='GUNNM']So over run is like crazy king from halo meets beast mode? Sounds shitty if this game is $60 I might have to skip this game.[/QUOTE]

it's only $60 if you pay MSRP w/out a preorder incentive GC.

I'm guessing Karen Traviss isn't involved at all? Between 3 games and 6 books, nothing has ever been mentioned about Baird/Cole getting into trouble. Also, if this is supposedly 15 years before Gears 1, then it's before E-Day which makes no sense as both Baird and Cole joined the COG army AFTER E-Day.

fucking chronology and canon. Who needs 'em?

[quote name='The 7th Number']Hopefully this works.

Facebook link to Judgment app. Watch the trailer there and SHARE TO GET FREE BAIRD GOGGLES FOR YOUR XBOX LIVE AVATAR!! I did it and it worked.

Looks like they have Gears Judgment Avatar gear in the store now
.... Wait.. why do they have weapons? I thought they couldnt do that anymore? Lancers???? LOL.

[/QUOTE]
You know whats funny they said no more guns but the very next day they come out with a toy gun avatar items. You have a machine gun, a rifle and pistols but they're purple and green so they won't be confused for real guns. :roll:

Those are some atrocious colors for the gears of war weapons.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']And they have "Chicks Dig the Baird" shirts, awesome![/QUOTE]
There's already one under Gears of War 3 avatar items, if anybody wants one. Too bad the goggles are over his eyes, though, unlike how he usually wears them above his eyes. I even made a fake account on facebook just to sport these things...sad...

The game is set 14 years before Gears of War, just after E-Day. Marcus was in jail for 4 years at the start of Gears of War. The real odd thing is that while Cole looks younger, I guess, Baird looks the same. Either he never ages, or is just a vampire.

But I always assumed that Cole and Baird join the COG long after E-Day, not directly after it. That's why I assumed Marcus and Dom were surprised to encounter Cole in the war when they find him in the first game. You'd figure they'd be aware of a pro-athlete in the war if he enlisted right after the war started.

They really did just take beast mode and instead of AI counterparts now its COG. I really hope they don't eliminate GOW 3's MP

Well it'll be interesting. Hell people still play GOW 1 online so its not like GOW 3 will be dead.

Also just got my game informer magazine today with Baird cover and it has like 5-6 pages on the game. The story sounds pretty good.

I've played thousands of waves of Horde; I've barely touched Beast. Game modes where you play as the monsters against the hero characters don't really appeal to me generally. So as cool as the COG stuff looks in Overrun, it's hard for me to get excited about it because for every COG round, I'd have to slog through a Locust round.

I'm not sure if I should hope for Judgment to have its own Horde mode or not though. It could offer some cool improvements and variations to Gears 3 Horde, but splitting the current Horde audience in half could be disastrous. It's already tough to find a good group in Gears 3 Horde sometimes.

IDK what to think of judgment I don't feel the hype that I had with GOW2&3. maybe closer to release and with more info I will come around.. but right now.. I'm happy they are giving us another story/more of the story.

Yeah I personally don't care either I'm not a fan of baird or cole. We'll see what happens come next year we'll probably get to see more hoffman which is cool

I'm definitely excited for Judgment. While I love the smoothness and fluidity of Gears 3, I don't enjoy the game play nearly as much as I did in Gears 1 and 2. I'm really hoping they go back to the roots of the series and make the focus on close quarter combat.

[quote name='I OU a Beatn']I'm definitely excited for Judgment. While I love the smoothness and fluidity of Gears 3, I don't enjoy the game play nearly as much as I did in Gears 1 and 2. I'm really hoping they go back to the roots of the series and make the focus on close quarter combat.[/QUOTE]

Can i get an AMEN!?

Sadly i see this title going beyond gears 3, more towards bulletstorm. I think the hardcore CQC gnashers of war days are long behind us. They want to sell games, and make money.

No way...I mean, it seems like that's where they're headed, and I guess there was some backlash from 3...but man, 3 is the best multiplayer game I've ever played. I've spent more time on this game than any other MP game. 461hrs to date, according to Rapr. I really hope they don't stray too much from 3. I'm still hoping the Retro and SOS show up! :pray:

A rumor hit the web yesterday that they're already working on Gears 4 with UE4 for the next gen Xbox, but I doubt anyone knows for sure.

Here is a fun little interview with rod and the voice of baird. Nothing too revealing. But they do mention how you can declassify parts of the campaign that will make it harder. And it sounds like the whole campaign is going to be them at trial remembering what happened, and sometimes they remember wrong, which makes the game different when you play it more than once. something like that idk. But it sounds interesting and i like that i can play the campaign more than once and it wont be the same thing.

http://www.g4tv.com/videos/58920/gears-of-war-judgment-e3-gameplay-demo/

[quote name='squishface']I must have missed something about marcus not being there? So i guess cole was done playing thrashball ?[/QUOTE]
Yeah this is after he left thrashball and just joined and btw from what I read declassified parts of the story is you doing challengers like kill tickers or fight boomers kinda like horde if I understand correctly in the campaign

In this IGN interview with Rod, he says (around 4:10) how People Can Fly are mainly doing single player and they (Epic) are mainly doing multiplayer. I still dont know which way epic is going to go with the MP, but i wish they would say. Are they going back to gears 1-2 style, or opposite direction? I mean with the game going back to the past, and they have said the campaign is more like gears 1, you would think they would revert back to gears 1-2 style MP. Maybe even bring back a lot of the gears 1-2 MP maps. But then i see things like a mauler spinning a boomshield in Overrun and that just makes me think they are making the game even more silly, and casual. Could be just for balance though. From what ive seen, the Rooftops map seen in Overrun looks pretty CQC, no real wide open spots. I can assume from previous games that this is a map that all modes would use? They never had special maps for special modes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afyQ_VDkMS4&feature=g-u-u

[quote name='squishface']I must have missed something about marcus not being there? So i guess cole was done playing thrashball ?[/QUOTE]

Marcus wouldn't have been busted out of jail until later. Remember, he's got a life sentence and is rotting in jail for a long time

My [Baird] Informer arrived today and it had some interesting info about the game. It showed an image of Cole carrying a Sawed-Off Shotgun, so expect that to return.

The idea of off the record elements in the campaign sound like they're really trying to give it replay value, and it seems like they realize that the Gears of War titles really don't have solid story telling ability, as it's repeatedly mentioned in the article that Epic and People Can Fly are greatly reducing the use of cut scenes in the game, and are instead just trying to contain it to within the game information.

I want to like the OverRun idea, as it does sound like a neat experiment, but as I replay Bulletstorm I can't help but feel the same concern I have with that title. OverRun sounds like the sort of game where if you don't have competent players working with you it won't be fun, and will be overwhelming to poor players. I stopped playing Gears of War 3 because the Horde community was terrible, quitting after a few rounds, not working together, and often lacking intelligence to stay in cover in a cover based shooter. This is what bothers me when I look at OverRun. If people don't work together, this could be disastrous.

It's an unfair criticism, as it really isn't a game developers fault for a community not being able to work as a team, but I just find that same problem in games I play online. The idea of being dependent on a team medic to revive me, a soldier to get ammo to other players, a scout to alert players to enemies and an engineer to setup defensive bots seems like a lot to ask in a game that's usually full of people rushing to get the first killl, racing for the best weapon, or intentionally stealing kills because of inability to get their own. Even though Gears of War is a tactic team shooter, rarely do games in it feel like it truly is team based.

I know I shouldn't judge it, and I really hope they do an open beta or demo of it, similar to how they did Gears of War 3's beta, just so that people can truly feel if it's right or not. But I can help but feel like it's out of place in a game like this.

[quote name='Dark Rider']I have to say that I absolutely loved GoW3. However, I am not one bit excited for this game. Anyone else feeling this?[/QUOTE]

Im excited for the campaign. It sounds good to me. Also with different difficulties makes the stories a little different. So if you want the true story you have to beat it on the hardest difficulty. Also more enemies and less cut scenes is fine by me. I however am not really excited about the Overrun mode.

Interesting that they're talking about upping the difficulty. I'm going through Gears 1 again with my brother right now on Hardcore, and it's definitely on a different planet than 2 and 3 in terms of difficulty. Tough as nails, I don't even want to know what Insane is like.

Are you using the Hammerburst? If not, it's a great weapon because of how accurate it is, especially when used for blind fire. A few trigger pulls tends to take down most Locust soldiers, and a wretch is usually down in one burst. It also has a fairly easy active reload to nail, and allows you to hold a lot spare ammo for it.

Also, if you have trouble during the Junker vs Kryll part, something to note is this strategy;
When you're first driving down the expressway, stop and let the gunner kill all the Kryll in the first few areas. Just drive in bursts, letting the spawn triggers activate the Kryll, let the gunner kill them all, then proceed forward a little bit more until a few more spawn. They always follow the same pattern, so if you die just remember where they spawned from, and try and listen to Chaps and Dom, as they tend to tell you where to look when the Kryll attack. After you get off the roadway, go through the loop around and get back on, ignore the gun. Instead, just keep driving, and race to the end of the expressway. Try to avoid turning and hitting objects, and just keep taking direct paths, with only slight turns if you can. If you stop you'll get overwhelmed by the abundance of Kryll, and have to restart the whole area. It might take a few tries, but you'll get what I mean if your gunner tries to shoot light at the Kryll in the second area, as the Junker can't speed up fast enough to get away.

Yeah, I've been mostly using the Hammerburst for range and the Lancer in CQC situations. Not that the chainsaw is all that useful since you lower it after getting hit by a slight breeze, and also the unavoidable explosion and cringe after sawing a lambent Wretch basically guarantees your subsequent death if there's anyone else around. I hate Wretches so much.

That was our strategy at the driving part-- basically just memorize where the kyrll appear from (I was on the turret). Took us 4-5 tries probably. The worst thing was the last section you're talking about-- the first time we got that far, we tried standing and fighting, advancing slowly, until dying finally. The next time we were just like F this, slam on the gas and try to get through. We got like an inch farther than where we had died the previous time and triggered the ending cutscene. :cold:

Honestly, I love Gears but I didn't think we needed another after the third. I'd really rather People Can Fly be developing Bulletstorm 2, because the first one was awesome.

[quote name='Dark Rider']I have to say that I absolutely loved GoW3. However, I am not one bit excited for this game. Anyone else feeling this?[/QUOTE]GoW2 was the height for me. GoW3 was fun for a short time.

Not buying this game most likely.

I will not be buying, I was always about competitive MP and horde was just an extra I didn't really play too much, this seems like they are focusing on another horde mode.

looks like People Can Fly's Gears of War: Judgment is going to be different (a la Infinity Ward vs Treyarch). I'm not sure how I'll like the changes...

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/06/judgment-is-not-your-usual-gears-of-war/

People Can Fly has also revamped the control scheme in Judgment to reflect the game's faster, more lethal nature. Weapons can now be swapped with a single button tap, or a press-and-hold move to switch to pistols. "We had three [Gears] games using a certain control scheme and it seemed to be working pretty well, considering the sales," said Chmielarz, "but once we put [the new control scheme] in the game and experimented with it, it took us like five minutes to realize this was the way to go."

Multiplayer is also seeing a bit of an overhaul in Judgment through a new team-based multiplayer mode called Overrun, which pits human COG players protecting a generator against Locust players trying to destroy it. Overrun is Gears' first class-based multiplayer mode, featuring new character types, each with its own unique weapon sets and abilities: medics that can heal companions, engineers that can put down protective turrets, and so on. While COG players work to repair and maintain pre-placed barbed wire fortifications around the generator, Locust players will earn points through damage, unlocking the use of familiar Locust creatures including Tickers, Wretches, Grenadiers, the Kantus, Bloodmounts, Corpsers, Serapedes, and Maulers during the match.

"The beautiful thing about Overrun is the synergy effect of combining the classes," Chmielarz noted. "We have the Ticker and the Ticker has this ability to eat a grenade. Somebody from COG throws a grenade, the Ticker quickly eats it, the team is saved, but then when [the Ticker] explodes, obviously that explosion is so much more powerful. So I was playing against our guys at [People Can Fly] and I saw the strategy of the opposite team was that they started with a Grenadier throwing their own grenade, had the Ticker eat it, had the Grenadier kick the Ticker in the butt so it actually goes over the fortifications…and then you have this rocket charging towards your generator with a grenade in its belly."

Judgment's story, setting, and presentation mess with the established Gears formula as well. The game tells the story of Baird, fellow franchise star Augustus Cole, and the rest of Kilo Squad fifteen years before the first Gears of War. Kilo Squad is on trial for treason and various other court-martial offenses, and each level of Judgment follows Baird's testimony during the trial.

This overarching story has a direct effect on the way gameplay will evolve through multiple playthroughs. Playing through a level once will give players the "classified" version that Baird first recounts in court. After that, players will have access to an unclassified version, which better reflects Baird's unvarnished recollection of the battle. Chmielarz said the "unclassified" playthrough will add crucial narrative details, different enemy types, and additional challenges like weapon set limitations or time limits. For example, Baird's "classified" recollection may have neglected to include the fact that a mech had been available to Kilo Squad during an engagement, but the mech will be there in the second, "unclassified" playthrough.

Chmielarz said that Judgment will feature more Locust simultaneously on screen than in any previous Gears game. Their behavior will be determined in part by the smart spawn system (S3), a new AI setup that analyzes player performance and location and uses that information to decide where enemies will spawn and what tactics they'll use. Thanks to S3, the developers said that players won't be able to learn and exploit patterns in the levels and that no two playthroughs of a level will be the same.

The major change Chmielarz has brought to the Gears franchise is upping the ante on the challenge level. "The big idea behind the campaign was that we want people to fear the Locust again, like the first time you played Gears," Chmielarz told Ars Technica. "This game is all about challenge... we believe that the fun comes from being challenged and overcoming that challenge."

changes in judgment sound good. no stopping power, and old school hammerburst FTW! No more kids with rapid fire modded controllers ruining the game!

Gameplay Changes

Now that we’ve covered all of the classes and abilities in OverRun, we are going to discuss something that everyone wants to know about the new multiplayer, how the gameplay has changed. Before we go into these changes, please be aware that OverRun and Judgment are not complete or finalized and that everything is subject to change at any point in time. We’ve mentioned several small changes, like changes in respawn times, weapons, etc, but we are going to post everything that we know that was in Gears of War 3 that isn’t as of right now in Gears of War Judgment. So here is the list of changes to the gameplay for Judgment!

• First Person Control Scheme: Epic and People Can Fly removed the clunky D-Pad for weapons swaps for several good reasons. In the campaign with the large amount of Locust on the screen, you need to change you weapons quickly and decisively. The D-Pad didn’t always register a user pulling our their pistol, and pulled out a smoke grenade instead. The new controller scheme allows for quick weapon swaps and trust us it works fantastically. It allows for faster gameplay and for your weapons to be changed out almost instantly.
    • Left Bumper (LB) For Grenades: This change is also to streamline the gameplay, gamers will no longer be forced to use an animation to stand up and pitch grenades. They can be thrown out quickly from cover, and if you hold down the LB you can aim the arc without exposing yourself to the enemy.
    • Stopping Power is Removed: We can confirm that stopping power was not in OverRun. The Lancer Assault did not slow down your opponents when they were rushing towards you. That is all we can say about this for right now.
    • Hammerburst Must Be Burst-Fired: We mentioned this in the portion about the Kantus. The Hammerburst can no longer be used like the Gears of War 2 or 3 Versions, where you could use rapid-fire controllers or fan the trigger normally. If you single fire the weapon, your shot will be accurate and without a kick, but if you shoot it quickly, aka fanning the trigger, it will recoil ridiculously high on the fourth shot. This weapon will require a lot more skill in Judgment.
    • Soldier Class Will Not Have Boomshot By Default In OverRun: As we mentioned above, Boomshot is overpowered and will be swapped out for an unannounced weapon before the release.
    • Longshot Now Hold 4 Rounds Per Clip: Epic has increased the round count to make the Longshot a more effective weapon for OverRun.
    • Control Sensitivity: Judgment as of right now has the same sensitivity settings as Gears of War 3, though this could be subject to change in the future. Our staff wasn’t aware we could change the settings, so we all played under default.
    • Frag Tags: Though we attempted to tag grenades during our session of OverRun, with the new control scheme we aren’t sure if they are going to be a part of OverRun. This is subject to more confirmation and change in the future.

http://www.gearscon.com/2012/06/gears-of-war-judgement-full-review/

bread's done
Back