Gears Of War: Judgment - Lost Relics DLC out now VIP - 6/25 for Non VIP

^ I was watching a GOW 3 stream and someone kept crying about mods and hammerbursts and I didn't get what he was talking about. Now I does.

If grenades are used by hitting the LB button, how do you grenade tag in this game? And since it takes place before the first game, shouldn't the grenades not be able to become proximity mines?

And I'm confused by the Hammerburst comment. Why not just bring back the one from the 1st game? It actually was a burst fire weapon, had a set fire rate, moved up slightly with each shot fired, and makes sense chronologically.

[quote name='The 7th Number']CliffyB admitted If I could go back in time I would remove the sawed-off shotgun. Yes, I’m willing to admit when I’m wrong. [/QUOTE]

The casual audience must have greatly diminished from this game, so Cliff Bleszinski offers a vain olive branch to people who enjoy the series in the form of a hollow confession, while still gladly taking your money for that mistake.
Why not just update [some of] the playlists to remove the sawed-off shotgun? It's a much better action than saying, "Yeah, it was wrong... but oh well. I guess in the next full priced title we may address this issue. Now where are my Ferrari keys?"

[quote name='The Ebbtide']If grenades are used by hitting the LB button, how do you grenade tag in this game? And since it takes place before the first game, shouldn't the grenades not be able to become proximity mines?

And I'm confused by the Hammerburst comment. Why not just bring back the one from the 1st game? It actually was a burst fire weapon, had a set fire rate, moved up slightly with each shot fired, and makes sense chronologically.

The casual audience must have greatly diminished from this game, so Cliff Bleszinski offers a vain olive branch to people who enjoy the series in the form of a hollow confession, while still gladly taking your money for that mistake.
Why not just update [some of] the playlists to remove the sawed-off shotgun? It's a much better action than saying, "Yeah, it was wrong... but oh well. I guess in the next full priced title we may address this issue. Now where are my Ferrari keys?"
[/QUOTE]

eh, i dont think taking the sos out of gears 3 is the real answer. IMO SOS is only one of the few problems with Gears 3 MP. Also i dont think they would take out the sos in modes with it having to be a gun you need to onyx to get seriously 3.0.

It sounds like they are really going back to the old school way of gears. If you cant plant nades, i can live with that. As long as rifles arent OP, inks dont stun, there is no mantle kick, and they do something to the retro (adjust/remove). I still think the retro should be a bolt action type gun that is greater mid to long distances. Single shots for every trigger press. With the bayonet on the end, they can maybe add a CQC melee move, and keep the retro charge. I really am getting higher hopes for Judgments MP than i was a few weeks ago. But hopefully they have an option to change controls back to classic gears, for those who might not want to adjust to the new 1st person controls.

[quote name='dirtyvu']looks like People Can Fly's Gears of War: Judgment is going to be different The major change Chmielarz has brought to the Gears franchise is upping the ante on the challenge level. "The big idea behind the campaign was that we want people to fear the Locust again, like the first time you played Gears," Chmielarz told Ars Technica. "This game is all about challenge... we believe that the fun comes from being challenged and overcoming that challenge."[/QUOTE]

I think this will be a good thing. After playing so much Gears and multiplayer, most people probably don't fear the Locust anymore. Especially in Campaign, it became almost like mini-multiplayer skirmishes.

1) See Locust
2) Run towards Locust
3) Flip-Roll at Locust
4) Pop Locust with gnasher or SOS
5) Continue to dispatch more Locust with remaining clip
6) Reload or Flip-Roll away if other Locust are nearby
7) Rinse & Repeat

Smarter AI would be good; adaptive type. Just not the cheap infinitely re-spawning type please...

[quote name='Donut2922']Happy about Cliffy's take on SOS. Still worried about class based MP. I like to use the lancer/gnasher combo. Now I can't? :whistle2:([/QUOTE]

As far as i know its only been confirmed for Overrun mode. So it might not be in every mode. I can see class based mode being important for overrun though.

As much as I initially hated the sawed off(still not fond of it), I've come to hate the Retro a lot more. As quickly as that thing downs in medium and close range, I hope to God it doesn't make a return. It's single handily ruined Gnasher battles.

Don't forget the Retro Lancer's inconsistent charge option. Sometimes it impales with only a brief charge, sometimes it bounces off with a long rush at someone, sometimes it pulls a target in or toward the bayonet, and sometimes it still can get through a raised chainsaw attack from a Lancer.

It's crazy to comprehend that at Epic had actually considered applying a bayonet to the Hammerburst, too, similar to how it was in Raam's Shadow with the Sawed-Off Shotgun for the Elite Theron.

[quote name='The 7th Number']As far as i know its only been confirmed for Overrun mode. So it might not be in every mode. I can see class based mode being important for overrun though.[/QUOTE]

Oh I hope it's just on overrun mode only then. Thanks for the response.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Meh...not a fan of podcasts. Hope they do a write up later or that someone sums up the good bits ;)[/QUOTE]

Dont think they really mentioned anything worth while. Just that the game is faster than gears 3. Switching weapons, throwing nades, its faster than gears 3.

oh and overrun. like they havent mentioned that enough.

I think he sounded like there might be new info during comic con. Not too sure though.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Dont think they really mentioned anything worth while. Just that the game is faster than gears 3. Switching weapons, throwing nades, its faster than gears 3.[/QUOTE]
How is that possible? Ludicrous speed?

They already made everything faster in Gears of War 3. And the grenades explode before they even beep in Gears of War 3, unlike the previous two titles.

Well if you've played RE:ORC the way the pistol is being used sounds like what they did. You hold LB and you auto aim with the pistol and you just unload on the target. If I'm right than it'll be something like this @ :55-1:00 but I'm probably wrong.
[youtube]NYrHqIiL8Ks[/youtube]

[quote name='The Ebbtide']How is that possible? Ludicrous speed?[/QUOTE]
New control scheme-- Y button to switch between the two primary weapons, hold Y to brandish pistol, LB to throw grenade (no need to switch to it first).

[quote name='Ryuukishi']New control scheme-- Y button to switch between the two primary weapons, hold Y to brandish pistol, LB to throw grenade (no need to switch to it first).[/QUOTE]
That's not what my question meant. Thanks, though.

[quote name='GUNNM']Well if you've played RE:ORC the way the pistol is being used sounds like what they did. You hold LB and you auto aim with the pistol and you just unload on the target. If I'm right than it'll be something like this @ :55-1:00 but I'm probably wrong.
[/QUOTE]

That's what I was asking about. The animation of switching and swapping weapons in Gears of War 3 was already sped up from the previous titles. I just can't understand how it would get faster without looking...wrong.

The video you posted from ORC seems like it's bad design or poor animation on the studios part. It's weird to think that studios would move back to that. It's like how in Goldeneye your character simply lowered the weapon off screen to reload. I accepted that back then without thinking, but now it seems weird to not see a character reload and see variation in the animations either.

Just having a pistol appear in your hand would be jarring to me.

Hmm. I assumed by "faster" it just meant easier/less button presses to do things, not that they were actually speeding up the animations. It does seem like there's not much room to make them even faster than they already are!

So I see Marcus' skin from Gears of War 3 in the second video. I wonder if there will be classic skins to unlock.

But, wow, the ludicrous speed on weapon swaps is disappointing. Look at the first few seconds where the Baird player switches from grenades to the Lancer to the Gnasher. And later, at just after 35 seconds. The Cole player switches from whatever that new gun is to the Lancer without even being shown the animation during the mantle kick.

Hopefully they'll have a basic Horde Mode. And no season pass bullshit this time.

[quote name='The Ebbtide']So I see Marcus' skin from Gears of War 3 in the second video. I wonder if there will be classic skins to unlock.[/QUOTE]

I kind of wish they had only classic skins. It doesnt make sense to have Gears 3 marcus skin in a game that is set before gears of war 1. But then if we went by that logic we might not have a lot of characters. But it would be kind of cool if they stuck with a theme. But then again i wasnt really digging the idea of superstar cole before gears of war 3 came out and i didnt really have a big problem with it later.

[quote name='The Ebbtide']So I see Marcus' skin from Gears of War 3 in the second video. I wonder if there will be classic skins to unlock.[/QUOTE]
Be nice if all the character and weapon skins you have unlocked/purchased in Gears 3 automatically carried over into Judgment. After all it looks like it's running on the exact same engine/interface.

If they had classic hoffman in GOW 3 I would be using that. Everyone's armor in 3 is so shitty looking.

Not having to use d-pad makes this game look much more fluid but the thing that balanced SOS was the range you could have someone using Y to shoot lancer or whatever the button is and than if you get close enough hit X to instantly kill you with the SOS.
That new power weapon looks pretty scary.

Yeah i bought Rainbow, Thunderstorm, and Emultion skins for my guns, hope they carry over if the game does have gun skins. I didnt see any in those two videos, but i am guessing they will have them.

I saw in the 2nd video that it looked like there was no stopping power when he was charging with the retro lancer, while being shot by a regular lancer. I dont really like stopping power that much.

The Gold Weapons from Gears of War 2 carried over to 3, so it'd be nice to see the same for 3 to Judgment. But I'm expecting greed to win out...

Maybe exclusive skins will actually be exclusive this time.

And I forgot that it was a prequel and didn't even think about the Marcus skin being chronologically off. Hopefully they'll have classic skins for Cole and Baird, or really just everybody. I don't like the new outfit for Baird or the complete makeover for Cole.

Here is a new video of live action gameplay for FFA.

FFA you only start with a rifle and snub, i guess thats why the gnasher was a pickup weapon in one of the other videos. That kind of sucks, since gnasher is my main weapon.

Also noticed they still have the BS where you and the enemy can kill each other at the same time. -_-

Its kind of weird you can jump down big ledges now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uI3ho6X_6-M

So it went from a tactical 3rd person shooter to a hyper arcade shooter? This really doesn't look...right. I know it's a different studio, but I just can't 'get into it.'

On the plus side, they have the imulsion skin...so maybe they'll carry over.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Here is a new video of live action gameplay for FFA.

FFA you only start with a rifle and snub, i guess thats why the gnasher was a pickup weapon in one of the other videos. That kind of sucks, since gnasher is my main weapon.

Also noticed they still have the BS where you and the enemy can kill each other at the same time. -_-

Its kind of weird you can jump down big ledges now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uI3ho6X_6-M[/QUOTE]
He no-scopes and uses words like tryhard. :(

I don't blame them for trying to change the MP they've seen the top played MP games and its constantly fast paced MP games on top. Also the jumping off of tall areas did look weird maybe its something they remove.

I think in the old games they just never had ledges that high to drop from, so that may make it seem pretty strange. You could drop from ledges in the previous games, they just were usually a few feet off of the ground below. The drop in the shitty quality video at 2:58 is much higher, and there isn't any fall damage or stun to it, so if seems odd in a game. It's like he's even able to keep his roadie run going while in the fall.

And I'm glad I wasn't the only one wondering if he wasn't aware that sniper rifles tend to have scopes on them.

I'm still bothered that when he uses his snub pistol at 2:35 the shots are completely accurate and consistent, even while blind-firing in motion. That is what I mean by hyper arcade-y. The last game added so much to attract a more casual base (sawed-off shotgun, respawns, absurdly powerful Retro Lancer with an exploitable bayonet, Silverback in Horde, and even the defenses in Horde), and what was implemented detracted from the actual gamer base. This seems like more in the wrong direction for my interest.

Podcast http://epicgames.com/community/2012/09/epic-games-podcast-episode-8-jim-brown-on-judgments-ffa-mode/

One interesting thing they talked about was you cant plant nades on walls anymore. You can plant them on players though, and they are sticky so if you throw one and it hits someone it will stick to them. You also start the game with them.

You can chainsaw from a top ledge and fall down onto someone and kill them.

Breechshot is a non zoom high powered long distance rifle. It has a blade on the bottom so melee's really hurt.

Maps have more layers, ... up and down access to enemies, instead of the usual maps where they are flat and have flanks.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Everything is looking awesome! But still don't see the Retro :whistle2:([/QUOTE]

It was in one of the 2 videos above, that showed off FFA, its going to be in.

I'll be getting it at best buy due to all these bonuses and the $20 reward zone member certificate. Plus ffa modes are always my favorites so I'm really looking forward to that.

I wonder if the MS.store will be getting one of them..... well last time walmart and ms had the same skin. (SGE) I hope walmart gets Alex brand

Good im glad marcus is gamestop, otherwise we would have that many more females running around in mp with their super small hitboxes. Anya looks the same though, plus i hate her lol. I was leaning towards young dom but he doesnt look much different than classic dom. Ill probably go with alex brand, she looks cool, but i generally dont like being female characters. Their skinny bodies just dont look right when i use them. I tend to like the medium build characters like carmine, griffin, kim. Hopefully most of the MP skins are set in the same time line. But i tend to think the main four guys will be in the game no matter what, so young dom would just be an alternate skin where as alex brand could be her only skin if you pre order.

Not sure how the hammerburst will work. I mean will it be an advantage to those who pre order? Will people who dont pre order be able to unlock it in the game? Could be a cheap way of trying to get more people to pre order the game if the classic HB is the best gun in the game.

It is weird that Marcus and Dom are "de-aged" but Anya just looks like the exact same model from GOW3. It would have been cool to see her in some version of her grey military officer outfit from the earlier games.

I wonder if Marcus and Dom's voice clips will just be recycled from GOW3 since (presumably) they don't appear in the campaign so their voice actors wouldn't need to come in for a new session.

Besides saying the new weapon names they wouldn't need new voice one liners but I was also wondering why anya looked the same.

Will we see a younger hoffman? ^__^

[quote name='GUNNM']That's cool turned on gears of war 3 got 6 social events for doing nothing.[/QUOTE]

Yeah they automatically boosted everyone to 29/30 events since it's been such a clusterfuck for people attempting to get the achievement and figure out what events they need.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Yeah they automatically boosted everyone to 29/30 events since it's been such a clusterfuck for people attempting to get the achievement and figure out what events they need.[/QUOTE]

Should have just given everyone the award, why put them at 1 away?

bread's done
Back