General Discussion for ATL CAGs In Memoriam Matthew Cherry

Status
Not open for further replies.

organicow

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
Hey guys, I figured since we totally hijacked that DS Lite thread to talk about everything from cider to live local music....we might as well have a dedicated thread for it. Especially since I think we definitely have the most robust discussions in the Southeast CAG forum!

I'll kick it off by describing my recent EB experience:

I hit the Northlake EB (the one with the cool manager) today to grab some B2G1 goodness. I ended up getting Marvel vs. Capcom 2 (XB), RE2 (GC), and RE3 (GC), all complete and mint for 86.65. Considering that MvC2 goes for $50-60 on ebay, I thought this to be a pretty good purchase! As I was leaving, the manager guy told me that the North Dekalb store had some rare shit right now too, and that I should check it out. What a nice guy!

Anyway, I f'n hate that EB, but I figured it was worth a trip (its not that far from home). I ended up getting complete mint copies of REZ (PS2), LoZ Promo disc (GC, the one with Master Quest), and Cubivore (GC) for $72.20. Cool.

I also got 3 used DS games (preparing for the Lite on Sun) for B2G1. All three of the games (Trauma Center, Advance Wars, and MarioKart) were complete. But, somehow, as the dipshit was ringing me up, the Trauma manual somehow disappeared from the box! Since they insist upon slapping those damned clear stickers on the edges at sale time, I didn't notice the missing manual until I was on the way home. Jackasses!! Well, they had another complete used copy, so hopefully they can help me out tomorrow....but I'm not counting on it.

In the meantime, this dude with a baby was trading in 20 Xbox games (and getting ripped off, I might add), and the clueless employees there couldn't seem to get it all worked out. That poor bastard must've been there for about 45 minutes, and still hadn't gotten the right trade in credit. UGH.

My two trips today really showed me how utterly opposed two EBs within a few miles of one another could really be. And that is why I always go out to Northlake!

/rant

On to more beer talk!! :cool:

The Douglasville BestBuy has two copies of Ratchet & Clank Size Matters psp 9.99 FRONTLANE as of this (monday) morning.

And the FYE in the Arborplace Mall has a few bins of 50% off games. Not all games are 50% off, just the ones in the bins.

(prices include 50% off price in system plus 10% for VIP membership)
brand new:
Clubhouse Games: 29.99/ 13.50
GBA Naruto Ninja Council 12.99/ 5.85
Wild Arms 5 10th Anniversary Edition 39.99/ 18.00

Used:
Eragon psp: 12.99/ 5.85
Innocent Life psp: 22.99/ 10.35

And volume 3 of The Prisoner, some Case Closed dvds and the Outkast cd with Hey Ya on it. They've got a deal, where you buy four used anythings (cds/dvds/games) and you get an extra 20% off. That doesn't stack with the 50% off games, but it did with the other stuff I found. :bouncy:

What's Juno that y'all are talking about? I'm guessing it's not related to Alaska, Mythology or that old email/ISP.

[quote name='Tybee']http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox_searchlight/juno/trailer/

Saw "No Country..." over the weekend. MAN that was good.

Also, The Swell Season at Variety Playhouse Saturday night was, like, the best concert ever. :drool::applause:[/QUOTE]
Ahhhh... well. I am a Frames fan, but I didn't hit that show, since I never actually saw ONCE. Also, it wasn't cheap. I'm sure it was great, though.

I saw Beowulf 3D and CAPTURED! By Robots at the EARL, instead. Both good fun. If anyone is considering Beowulf, don't even bother with a flat showing. 3D or nothing-- trust me on this.

[quote name='El Gray']Ahhhh... well. I am a Frames fan, but I didn't hit that show, since I never actually saw ONCE. Also, it wasn't cheap. I'm sure it was great, though.[/quote]

Egad! Really? How did you miss it? Between Landmark and the Plaza, it played for like 6 months. I too love the Frames, but I actually think Glen Hansard's work with Marketa Irglova is on a whole different level.

The DVD will be out on Dec. 18, I think. Definitely, definitely check it out. I think it's still my favorite film this year.

I saw Beowulf 3D and CAPTURED! By Robots at the EARL, instead. Both good fun. If anyone is considering Beowulf, don't even bother with a flat showing. 3D or nothing-- trust me on this.

I do want to see Beowulf 3D. Really enjoyed the 3D IMAX effects in "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix," and heard the 3D is far more impressive in Beowulf.

Does anyone know if the 3D version of Nightmare Before Christmas is still playing anywhere in town? The only place I saw it listed was up at Town Center, but seems like they wouldn't be able to show it in 3D. Maybe it doesn't matter because it isn't IMAX.

[quote name='Tybee']Egad! Really? How did you miss it? Between Landmark and the Plaza, it played for like 6 months. I too love the Frames, but I actually think Glen Hansard's work with Marketa Irglova is on a whole different level.

The DVD will be out on Dec. 18, I think. Definitely, definitely check it out. I think it's still my favorite film this year.

I do want to see Beowulf 3D. Really enjoyed the 3D IMAX effects in "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix," and heard the 3D is far more impressive in Beowulf.

Does anyone know if the 3D version of Nightmare Before Christmas is still playing anywhere in town? The only place I saw it listed was up at Town Center, but seems like they wouldn't be able to show it in 3D. Maybe it doesn't matter because it isn't IMAX.[/QUOTE]

I didn't want to go see ONCE alone, basically, and thus never saw it. Oh well.

As for the 3D movies, I think they can show 'em 3D anywhere that has a digital screen. We have a few in town (I learn of more every week-- AMC Mansell? WTF?), but seeing as how Beowulf is the biggest movie around right now, I'm pretty sure Nightmare's been pushed off any digital screens it might have still been on.

[this post made without bothering to check Fandango]

So, yeah, video games. Man, those things rule.

Oh, can someone check Fry's, and see if Contra 4 is $20?

I'm gonna hit TRU tomorrow, and try to buy 3 Zapper bundles for $50. I'll report back if it works.

[quote name='guinaevere']And the FYE in the Arborplace Mall has a few bins of 50% off games. Not all games are 50% off, just the ones in the bins.

And volume 3 of The Prisoner, some Case Closed dvds and the Outkast cd with Hey Ya on it. [/quote]hmm. not interested in the used stuff but I am intrigue at Love Below/Speakerboxxx. It's one of the three CDs I'd buy if I was going to buy a CD. I think I"ll buy a CD.

Nightmare Before Christmas was a 13 day engagement for the season. I highly HIGHLY doubt it's even showing anywhere.[quote name='El Gray']
I'm gonna hit TRU tomorrow, and try to buy 3 Zapper bundles for $50. I'll report back if it works.[/quote] what deal is this?

[quote name='Wolfkin']what deal is this?[/QUOTE]
Buy 2 get 1 free on Wii games at TRU this week. I'm going to test to see if the deal works on the Zapper Bundle. If so, I'll get 3-- one for me, 2 for friends. We'll pay about $18 each.

[quote name='Wolfkin']isn't the zapper bundle $20.[/QUOTE]
Supposed to be, but some stores are charging $25.

Can anyone else offer any reports on other TRUs in the area?

Northpoint is mostly picked over. I'd like to find Lego Star Wars or Fire Emblem or Metroid Prime 3. Would like to combine these with SMG and Medal of Honor Heroes 2 for friends.

Any Zappers found at TRU yet? Umbrella Chron?

[quote name='El Gray']Supposed to be, but some stores are charging $25.
[/quote]yes now that you mention it I recall reading about GS/EB charing $25.

Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving (and Black Friday if you availed yourselves of any deals). And here's a pro-tip: brining the turkey is key!

i'm in buckhead i was out there in theearly AM at BB wnet down to Target and then went to Circuit City where I was slamed by the crowd and couldn't find Zoolander anyway. it was good though. Got a DVD/VHS player for $50

[quote name='El Gray']I didn't want to go see ONCE alone, basically, and thus never saw it. Oh well.

As for the 3D movies, I think they can show 'em 3D anywhere that has a digital screen. We have a few in town (I learn of more every week-- AMC Mansell? WTF?), but seeing as how Beowulf is the biggest movie around right now, I'm pretty sure Nightmare's been pushed off any digital screens it might have still been on.

[this post made without bothering to check Fandango][/quote]
[quote name='Wolfkin']Nightmare Before Christmas was a 13 day engagement for the season. I highly HIGHLY doubt it's even showing anywhere.[/quote]
Oh ye of little faith. Nightmare Before Christmas 3D is still playing at Regal in Kennesaw. It should be playing at least through Tuesday, if not Thursday. Beowulf 3D is playing at AMC in Kennesaw as well.

[quote name='neocisco']Oh ye of little faith. Nightmare Before Christmas 3D is still playing at Regal in Kennesaw. It should be playing at least through Tuesday, if not Thursday. Beowulf 3D is playing at AMC in Kennesaw as well.[/QUOTE]
corrected i stand. I KNOW i read and heard it was only supposd to be 13 days. Too bad Kennesaw is way too far for me to travel because I really really like that movie.

[quote name='guinaevere']They turned this into a movie? Gad how freakin' long is it?[/QUOTE]

Is there a Cliff's Notes version for the movie like I read in high school for the book?

For anybody in the area, the Hollywood just north of Woodstock is now a Gamecrazy. I went in today and they had a hand-written sign saying they were a GC store. They've had a big display case up in the store for a few weeks now loaded with new games, systems and accessories. It doesn't look like it will be partitioned off separately like most GC stores but I'll take what I can get. There isn't any signage up yet but hopefully it will show up soon. Finally, an alternative to Gamestop. Sorry, Blockbuster/GameRush, you gave up last year.

[quote name='neocisco']For anybody in the area, the Hollywood just north of Woodstock is now a Gamecrazy. I went in today and they had a hand-written sign saying they were a GC store. They've had a big display case up in the store for a few weeks now loaded with new games, systems and accessories. It doesn't look like it will be partitioned off separately like most GC stores but I'll take what I can get. There isn't any signage up yet but hopefully it will show up soon. Finally, an alternative to Gamestop. Sorry, Blockbuster/GameRush, you gave up last year.[/quote]

Where exactly is Gamecrazy opening? Wouldn't you know it. A new option opening a month before I move over to alpharetta...

[quote name='kjauburn']Where exactly is Gamecrazy opening? Wouldn't you know it. A new option opening a month before I move over to alpharetta...[/quote]

The Hollywood on Hwy. 5 in the Publix shopping center which is right across from the beginning of East Cherokee Drive. It's actually in the Holly Springs city limits. It's being added to the existing store. They're not expanding the buidling, just adding the inventory and fixtures.

[quote name='neocisco']The Hollywood on Hwy. 5 in the Publix shopping center which is right across from the beginning of East Cherokee Drive. It's actually in the Holly Springs city limits. It's being added to the existing store. They're not expanding the buidling, just adding the inventory and fixtures.[/quote]

Okay I know exactly where that one is. Sister lives a few minutes from it. If they have a deal worth going for I will just swing by when I visit my nephew...

I remeber there being a GameCrazy on Sugarloaf Parkway and Five Forks Trickum in Lawrenceville. Never made it in and it was gone pretty soon after. Hopefully, they'll be adding one down here, as that's way too far of a drive for me. What sort of goofball live near Kennesaw? ;)

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Oh wow. I was thinking about moving to Holly Springs, that would just be a bonus.[/quote]

You should look at Woodstock instead. BTW interested in a house I have a extra one in woodstock for sale... ;)

I was pleased with my stop at CCity on Friday afternoon.

Red Steel - $10
SW Battlefront II PS2 - $10
007 Russia/Love PS2 - $5
Chappelle's Block Party DVD - $3
Patsy Cline CD - $6

...and a little bit of line-waiting.

Also got my $10 NYTimes Crosswords DS at Gamestop.
They were all out of SSX Blur for $15 @ BBuy when I got there. Oh well.

[quote name='Ubiiquitous']I remeber there being a GameCrazy on Sugarloaf Parkway and Five Forks Trickum in Lawrenceville. Never made it in and it was gone pretty soon after. Hopefully, they'll be adding one down here, as that's way too far of a drive for me. What sort of goofball live near Kennesaw? ;)[/quote]Never happened. Shortly after moving here, one of the many job apps I put out was to the GC "coming soon" at that Hollywood Video. It was supposed to be open in February that year and even as late as April nobody I asked at the HV knew what the deal was and if it was still coming or not... Glad I didn't hold out for that dream job!

The crazy part is that the GC never opened and HV barely used that space for a long time and finally started putting up sale racks in that area and tossing in boxes for storage apparently. Storage area on the sales floor, very classy. Anyway, that HV closed with the nationwide shutdowns a few weeks ago. I went there for the final day and was told that they were closed as some guy bought everything left. Went to the HV in Snellville when it had a few days left and was told the same thing. There were people in there shopping so I assume that the bulk buyer just beat me and they were letting other people get what they wanted before he got the rest. At least I got Deathrow when it hit $6 :)

[quote name='jdawgg76']Never happened. Shortly after moving here, one of the many job apps I put out was to the GC "coming soon" at that Hollywood Video. It was supposed to be open in February that year and even as late as April nobody I asked at the HV knew what the deal was and if it was still coming or not... Glad I didn't hold out for that dream job!

The crazy part is that the GC never opened and HV barely used that space for a long time and finally started putting up sale racks in that area and tossing in boxes for storage apparently. Storage area on the sales floor, very classy. Anyway, that HV closed with the nationwide shutdowns a few weeks ago. I went there for the final day and was told that they were closed as some guy bought everything left. Went to the HV in Snellville when it had a few days left and was told the same thing. There were people in there shopping so I assume that the bulk buyer just beat me and they were letting other people get what they wanted before he got the rest. At least I got Deathrow when it hit $6 :)[/QUOTE]

Ok, cool. Now I don't feel so bad about never going in. I drove by a bunch and saw the sign, so I just assumed it was up and running. I went into that same HV in Snellville about 3 or 4 weeks ago, I think, and it was wiped clean. Well, crappy sports games and stuff, but basically wiped clean.

Where abouts do you live? I'm right off 78 and Killian Hill.

Hey guys, I just found out my neice is wanting a Wii for Christmas, I know this is a long shot, but if any of you see a wii, please post in the thread. :)

Thanks

[quote name='TravistyOJ']Hey guys, I just found out my neice is wanting a Wii for Christmas, I know this is a long shot, but if any of you see a wii, please post in the thread. :)

Thanks[/quote]

CC and BB will both have it in the ads this Sunday so your best chance is early Sunday morning. There were 2 people camping out at 5am at my store last Sunday so get there at least by 7am, IMO.

[quote name='Ubiiquitous']Ok, cool. Now I don't feel so bad about never going in. I drove by a bunch and saw the sign, so I just assumed it was up and running. I went into that same HV in Snellville about 3 or 4 weeks ago, I think, and it was wiped clean. Well, crappy sports games and stuff, but basically wiped clean.

Where abouts do you live? I'm right off 78 and Killian Hill.[/quote]

Yeah, the last time I was in the store I only saw a handful of things that I was really interested in like D&D Heroes for Xbox and Apex and some DVDs like The Lone Gunmen complete series, but it would have to drop pretty low since you had to buy sets per disc. I figure TLG will be easy to snag cheap eventually.

I'm just down 5 Forks from the expired HV. Killian Hill is about as far as I go down 78 for the most part although I did stop by the Stone Mountain Target and found a As Is $5 360 Splinter Cell DA! Woulda posted that here, but it was the last one I saw.

I was just at the Northlake BB and they have have a big black cardboard box near the front of the store (not in the games area) with several copies each of Spiderman 3 (bleh), Pirates of the Carribbean (meh), and Sega Rally Revo (hmm). Hey, didn't SSR just come out a month or two ago? Anyway, all three are 9.99 along with a bunch of PS2 and PSP games.

[quote name='Mr. Wiggly']I was just at the Northlake BB and they have have a big black cardboard box near the front of the store (not in the games area) with several copies each of Spiderman 3 (bleh), Pirates of the Carribbean (meh), and Sega Rally Revo (hmm). Hey, didn't SSR just come out a month or two ago? Anyway, all three are 9.99 along with a bunch of PS2 and PSP games.[/QUOTE]

Hey, Wiggly, are those 3 games 360 games?? I know that they are kind of meh, but $9.99 is a steal if they're 360 games.

[quote name='jdawgg76']Yeah, the last time I was in the store I only saw a handful of things that I was really interested in like D&D Heroes for Xbox and Apex and some DVDs like The Lone Gunmen complete series, but it would have to drop pretty low since you had to buy sets per disc. I figure TLG will be easy to snag cheap eventually.

I'm just down 5 Forks from the expired HV. Killian Hill is about as far as I go down 78 for the most part although I did stop by the Stone Mountain Target and found a As Is $5 360 Splinter Cell DA! Woulda posted that here, but it was the last one I saw.[/QUOTE]

Cool. Good to see a CAG that's close by. If I see anything worth mentioning in the stores around us, I'll be sure to drop you a note.

I got a Wii on Black Friday for my dad at the Gamestop in Edgewood. There wasn't a line or anything, and I wandered in about 8am, an hour after they opened.

I would think you'd have a better shot there than at Best Buy.

The Edgewood Best Buy had Chocobo Tales for the DS for $10.

[quote name='Sideswiper']The Edgewood Best Buy had Chocobo Tales for the DS for $10.[/quote]i hear good things about Rocket Slime but Chocobo Tales is that even any good?

[quote name='Wolfkin']i hear good things about Rocket Slime but Chocobo Tales is that even any good?[/quote]
I remember a while back the Shipwrecks said on their podcast that Chocobo Tales was decent.

Oh, and happy belated Thanksgiving to everyone. Was anyone else at the Georgia/Georgia Tech game?

[quote name='Ubiiquitous']Cool. Good to see a CAG that's close by. If I see anything worth mentioning in the stores around us, I'll be sure to drop you a note.[/quote]And likewise for you, sir! You're really the only other CAG I can recall seeing post that's in our direct vicinity of the city. I'd say more cheap stuff for us, but I know there are a few lurkers out there.

Hey guys, I just found out my neice is wanting a Wii for Christmas, I know this is a long shot, but if any of you see a wii, please post in the thread. :)

Thanks

Too bad you didn't know and post a little sooner. I've seen a bunch recently. Some even lasted a week or two, but they're gone now. I'll keep an eye out for you.

I was just at the Northlake BB and they have have a big black cardboard box near the front of the store (not in the games area) with several copies each of Spiderman 3 (bleh), Pirates of the Carribbean (meh), and Sega Rally Revo (hmm). Hey, didn't SSR just come out a month or two ago? Anyway, all three are 9.99 along with a bunch of PS2 and PSP games.

SRR 10!!!!!!!!! Guess I know where I'm going on my break tonight. You sure SRR wasn't just dropped in there on accident or by a customer? Was it individually marked 9.99? Crossing my fingers there's a copy left. The demo was pretty good, but I'm a big rally fan and the reviews said this was like a next generation Sega Rally 2 which is a really good thing.

[quote name='jdawgg76']SRR 10!!!!!!!!! Guess I know where I'm going on my break tonight. You sure SRR wasn't just dropped in there on accident or by a customer? Was it individually marked 9.99? Crossing my fingers there's a copy left. The demo was pretty good, but I'm a big rally fan and the reviews said this was like a next generation Sega Rally 2 which is a really good thing.[/quote]

Yes, they were 360 games and there were 3 left of SRR with little yellow Best Buy price tag stickers on 'em. That was at around 7:30pm last night. Sorry for the late reply!

[quote name='Mr. Wiggly']Yes, they were 360 games and there were 3 left of SRR with little yellow Best Buy price tag stickers on 'em. That was at around 7:30pm last night. Sorry for the late reply![/quote]Thanks for the reply. I'll definitely head over there in a few with fingers crossed. . .

[quote name='jdawgg76']Thanks for the reply. I'll definitely head over there in a few with fingers crossed. . .[/QUOTE]

Thanks Wiggly!!!!!! I'll head there Thursday afternoon. I'm out-of-town right now....

jdawgg, if you take the last copy, so help me I'll hunt you down.....

Nah, j/k, hope you score!

Thanks Wiggly. SRR shipped October 9th and I really wanted it at MSRP so this was an amazing pick up.

Also saw Spiderman 3 360, DDR Universe, Pirates 360, Stuntman Ignition PS2, Flatout 2 PS2, NBA 08 The Life PS2 and AllPro Football PS3 for 10. Also had Guitar Hero 2 with guitar for 60, Halo Legendary Ed for 80, and the Halo Wireless headset for 46.

Pretty good clearance racks at Buckhead and Edgewood Target this week. I got Excitetruck and Trauma Center:2nd Opinion for $25 each at Buckhead last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back