General Fighting Game Thread #48 Turbo - !quote 16 ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='MiniB0ssBattle']My SE fightstick gets stuck sometimes when I move to the right. Do i have to break in my joystick or something?[/quote]

Call Madcatz. Your stick might be defective. They'll be making an official announcement soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='suko_32']TE sticks on amazon is supposedly supposed to ship on the 20th. Hurry up![/quote]

Cant wait to scalp that shit up on ebay.
Then buy an HRAP EX or keep on using mah pad.

Does SFIV let you do PPP moves with only two buttons? I set my triggers to 3P/3K last night and I felt all dirty (even though using a default 360 pad is a perfectly legitimate reason haha).

on a different note, they seem to have some fun combo mechanics in this. More permissive than SF2 series but certainly way more restrained than a Vs. title. I haven't done MUCH with it yet, but I was just playing around with Ken in training for a bit. Can most special moves be canceled into supers? I assume you have to be on the ground in most cases... it seemed like I was able to cancel a Fierce DP into a Super DP as long as it was during the first couple of hits (i.e. punching the guy in the gut before he actually jumps and spins). And I couldn't cancel a hurricane kick into anything, which I'm guessing is because he's technically airborne while he's doing it??

Also I may have read the term wrong (damn tiny txt on my SDTV) but what's up with "Link Combos"? Is that when you cancel a normal attack into another normal attack (I noticed Ken could do this with MP->HP)?

[quote name='BustaUppa']Does SFIV let you do PPP moves with only two buttons? I set my triggers to 3P/3K last night and I felt all dirty (even though using a default 360 pad is a perfectly legitimate reason haha).[/quote]

PP would likely register as either an EX move or a super move (if you had enough meter). Pretty sure you need to hit all the buttons.

Took me a while to catch up on all the posts, Library internet FTW.

Loving this game and I wish I had a stick to make it more enjoyable, the blister won't let me play on my d-pad, now I wanna open my fightpad :(

[quote name='Knoxximus']ARRRRGH!! I'm paying the price for my addiction by cramming for an hour this morning!! BAH!!

,,,,at least I unlocked Sakura and Dan for my trouble, though on more than one occasion I was ready to throw my stick through my TV while fighting Seth. Sheez![/quote]

Tell me about it. Took me 9 tires to beat Seth. I hate how it's not a tough fight, but more avoiding cheap teleportation spamming.

fuck. THIS SHIT. My store got their SFIV shipment delivered to the incorrect store! How does that shit happen!?Now my options are to wait until tomorrow, or ask the parents for a ride once one of them gets home from work. FFFFUUUUUUU---

i wanna get a new tv. i'm trying to play NCAA college hoops and the text is hard to read, so i think it's time to upgrade.

a small tv will be fine though, looking at something in the 22-27" range. i always hate shopping for technology because i have to research a bunch of crap

anybody have an easy button for me?

[quote name='GuardianE']I'm assuming you have the PS3 CE, which seems to be harder to come by?

You may want to try to contact someone like Sven on Capcom-Unity.com. Or create a thread in the Ask Capcom section of Capcom-Unity. They're pretty good about answering. Maybe they'll ask you to send in a picture of the codeless slip of paper and they'll give you a new code. I would try that, personally.

http://www.capcom-unity.com/ask_capcom/go/forum/view/7371/17181/Ask_Capcom[/QUOTE]

Don't contact Sven, he'll be all "I'm not helping you because you didn't buy Okami, Zack and Wiki, or DMC4 PC. We'll open up our customer service if you guys pass the next test -- Dead Rising Wii."

[quote name='GuardianE']If you bought it at Gamestop, I know some of them won't let you return guides... although I'm sure if you're adamant enough they'll buckle. Hopefully they won't care.

I'll probably only pick up the guide because it's pretty. And even then at a discount. Likely at a penny.[/QUOTE]

The guy returned without a fuss, thankfully. I was afraid he'd be like "but look at all these, this is supposed to be sealed." The scary part is, I totally knew the guy from this gamer gathering I used to go to at community college (which was as sad as it sounds.) It didn't hit me until I left the store though. I heard that basically everyone who used to attend the gathering dropped out of CC because of WoW. awkward :(

I would wait for it to penny out or $5.00 or something cheap. I guess the frame data is worth that much. Along with such insights as "The Hadoken is a very good move for Ryu and Ken."

I played Balrog for a bit yesterday... I actually liked playin' as the dude a lot, and I think I might finally be starting to understand how to play a charge character. I dunno, I just like the way that son moves in 4... a lot more than in 2 at least.

Playing on a stick probably helped, as well.

[quote name='kainzero']a small tv will be fine though, looking at something in the 22-27" range. i always hate shopping for technology because i have to research a bunch of crap

anybody have an easy button for me?[/quote]

There are quite a few nice 26" 720p LCDs out there for about $300-350. Best Buy has a Toshiba and a Sharp for pretty decent prices, though I'm sure you can grab something online cheaper. I'm pretty sure the Toshiba was on sale for $329 when my father and I looked at it on Sunday...Also, the new Sony models are starting to hit stores, so last year's models are dropping fast. And if you have a Sam's membership, they have a 26" vizio in the same price range...

Today, I'm playing find data for my econometrics model. But luckily, the survey of consumer finances has everything I need. It's funny - there's some dudes on this survey who had $250,000 of credit card debt. Like, there were only 5 of them, but there were a shit ton of people with outrageous amounts less than that. At some point, a ghangsta hasta call it quits on them cards!

There were also dozens of people who had completed fewer than 3 years of school, which was troubling in its own way.

Anyway, I still don't own SF4, and I won't until Friday. :(

Totally rad ideas for stick art I have tho. Lizardlick is backed up probably still?

[quote name='ninja dog']Don't contact Sven, he'll be all "I'm not helping you because you didn't buy Okami, Zack and Wiki, or DMC4 PC. We'll open up our customer service if you guys pass the next test -- Dead Rising Wii."[/quote]

lol, Sven's always answered my questions. But putting up a general question should stimulate some answers from someone there.

I haven't taken a peek inside the guide, as its sealed wherever I see it, but it does look abysmally thin.

[quote name='Ronin317']There are quite a few nice 26" 720p LCDs out there for about $300-350. Best Buy has a Toshiba and a Sharp for pretty decent prices, though I'm sure you can grab something online cheaper. I'm pretty sure the Toshiba was on sale for $329 when my father and I looked at it on Sunday...Also, the new Sony models are starting to hit stores, so last year's models are dropping fast. And if you have a Sam's membership, they have a 26" vizio in the same price range...[/quote]
i'll probably buy online to avoid sales tax... now i gotta find a place though.

but $329 for 26" that's decent, i'll go check it out today when i pick up sf4.

Yah, I thought it was 800 and realized they're probably backed up as fuck. 900 = don't expect shit for a while.

But it's not like I have the stick yet, either.

[quote name='kainzero']i wanna get a new tv. i'm trying to play NCAA college hoops and the text is hard to read, so i think it's time to upgrade.

a small tv will be fine though, looking at something in the 22-27" range. i always hate shopping for technology because i have to research a bunch of crap

anybody have an easy button for me?[/QUOTE]No "easy" button but I can at least share what I've come across in my own research (I'm about to buy a TV too!)

As a fighting gamer I assume you will want to keep LAG as low as possible, so here's what you should keep in mind:

- Most lag is caused by post-processing done by the TV itself. If you have an Xbox 360, try to have it outputting in the same resolution as the TV. The 360's scaler won't lag like a TV would, so that takes the workload off the TV.

- general consensus seems to be that plasmas lag less than LCDs

- consider what kind of inputs you will need. For example, I was gonna go for a Panasonic until I realized most of their models don't have a VGA input, or at least not a VGA input that accepts 1080p. Probably not an issue for you since 1080p really shouldn't be necessary for a 27" screen, but I'm just saying do careful research on the INPUTS!

that's what I got, hopefully it gives you some tidbit of info you can work with!

BTW, Uppa, you shouldn't go with a Samsung plasma because they aren't as good as Panasonic's.

Anyway, I dunno how good a $350 LCD's going to be. Are you just using this thing for gaming? I'm tempted to recommend a computer monitor instead if you already have a sound setup to use... I can pretty much guarantee that you'll get far better picture quality for the same price.

[quote name='Chacrana']BTW, Uppa, you shouldn't go with a Samsung plasma because they aren't as good as Panasonic's.

Anyway, I dunno how good a $350 LCD's going to be. Are you just using this thing for gaming? I'm tempted to recommend a computer monitor instead if you already have a sound setup to use... I can pretty much guarantee that you'll get far better picture quality for the same price.[/QUOTE]Well I was basically sold on Panasonic already, but the VGA issue is literally the only thing holding me back. What would you say is the main problem with the Samsungs?

dang I called gamecrazy, still dont got the CE yet.

I also really want either sum ice cream or a smoothie rite now,

of which I currently have neither... nor do I have the means to obtain one as I am currently stuck at work.

I hate work!!!!

lol.

not a good day today, I really wish I had sum ice cream or a smoothie to make me feel better...

:cry:

[quote name='SmallWind']Balrog Army![/QUOTE]lol fukkyn Balrog army...

it's like that one song,

I'm slim shady yes I'm slim shady all u other slim shady are jus slim shady so wont the real slim shady please stand up please stand up please stand up.

yeay that song is aiite.

[quote name='BustaUppa']Well I was basically sold on Panasonic already, but the VGA issue is literally the only thing holding me back. What would you say is the main problem with the Samsungs?[/quote]

Also, keep in mind that Plasma uses far more electricity than LCD. (and LCD uses more than projection...) not sure if that's a concern for you...

Might I suggest looking for a deal on Pioneer, if you're going plasma? I might be able find out where my buddy got the deal on his, and post it later.

[quote name='Ronin317']Also, keep in mind that Plasma uses far more electricity than LCD. (and LCD uses more than projection...) not sure if that's a concern for you...

Might I suggest looking for a deal on Pioneer, if you're going plasma? I might be able find out where my buddy got the deal on his, and post it later.[/QUOTE]I pay a FLAT rent to my landlords with all utilities included, so I don't give a funk about electricity! I'd be interested in a Pioneer as long as it's 50" and accepts 1080p over VGA... that's like my make-or-break qualification right now.

[quote name='ninja dog']HRAP EX on the way. I hope it's in-de-struct-ible.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='BustaUppa']Well I was basically sold on Panasonic already, but the VGA issue is literally the only thing holding me back. What would you say is the main problem with the Samsungs?[/QUOTE]

The picture quality just isn't as good. I admit, I'm more of a videophile-type than most, but yeah.

So what's the VGA issue? No 1080p over it or something? There's like 3 HDMI inputs and 3 component inputs, so I didn't think that was a problem... I just use my Dreamcast on VGA anyway (which looks awesome.)

[quote name='Ronin317']Also, keep in mind that Plasma uses far more electricity than LCD. (and LCD uses more than projection...) not sure if that's a concern for you...

Might I suggest looking for a deal on Pioneer, if you're going plasma? I might be able find out where my buddy got the deal on his, and post it later.[/quote]

Well, as screen size increases, the energy efficiency ratio starts to get more and more similar between LCDs and Plasmas. So basically, the larger your set, the power consumption between the two formats aren't as disparate.

I say buy what looks good to you in the largest and most feature-filled format you can afford.

[quote name='gunm']I say buy what looks good to you in the largest and most feature-filled format you can afford.[/quote]

Which is why I'm rocking a 60" Sony SXRD that was only $1600 with a 4 year warranty...Calibrated, the picture can't be beat. Sure, it's wider and not wall mountable, but fuck it.

[quote name='Chacrana']The picture quality just isn't as good. I admit, I'm more of a videophile-type than most, but yeah.

So what's the VGA issue? No 1080p over it or something? There's like 3 HDMI inputs and 3 component inputs, so I didn't think that was a problem... I just use my Dreamcast on VGA anyway (which looks awesome.)[/QUOTE]Yeah I couldn't find a Panasonic model with a VGA port that took 1080p. Most of them maxed out at 1080i or just didn't have a VGA port to begin with. Some were also limited to odd resolutions like 1280x1024 or 1366x768, which I assume would then require some scaling by the TV which I'm trying to avoid.

[quote name='gunm']Well, as screen size increases, the energy efficiency ratio starts to get more and more similar between LCDs and Plasmas. So basically, the larger your set, the power consumption between the two formats aren't as disparate.

I say buy what looks good to you in the largest and most feature-filled format you can afford.[/QUOTE]cool man that's what I'm trying to do!

[quote name='B:L']Best Buy: "Oh we guarantee that SFIV will be in stock BY 2pm. So we CAN'T sell it until 2pm!"

fuckING RETARDED.[/quote]

Well, at least they have the game on hand. My BB doesn't even know if they'll get their shipment in at 2pm today!

[quote name='BustaUppa']No "easy" button but I can at least share what I've come across in my own research (I'm about to buy a TV too!)

As a fighting gamer I assume you will want to keep LAG as low as possible, so here's what you should keep in mind:

- Most lag is caused by post-processing done by the TV itself. If you have an Xbox 360, try to have it outputting in the same resolution as the TV. The 360's scaler won't lag like a TV would, so that takes the workload off the TV.

- general consensus seems to be that plasmas lag less than LCDs

- consider what kind of inputs you will need. For example, I was gonna go for a Panasonic until I realized most of their models don't have a VGA input, or at least not a VGA input that accepts 1080p. Probably not an issue for you since 1080p really shouldn't be necessary for a 27" screen, but I'm just saying do careful research on the INPUTS!

that's what I got, hopefully it gives you some tidbit of info you can work with![/quote]

Hey man. I'm playing my games on a computer monitor. Its an Acer 24in LCD. Currently using an HDMI to DVI converter from the xbox to the monitor. Is this a good setup?

[quote name='Japakneez']Hey man. I'm playing my games on a computer monitor. Its an Acer 24in LCD. Currently using an HDMI to DVI converter from the xbox to the monitor. Is this a good setup?[/QUOTE]oh I'm hardly the one to ask... but based on my recent research I'd imagine the converter could be a trouble spot. And I guess see if your monitor can do one of those 1080 resolutions.

I suggest going to AVSforum and playing around with their google search, I've been doing a lot of that lately!

[quote name='SmallWind']:whee: Got my CE(s) at BB.[/QUOTE]

Nice! Can't wait to get some games in against that Cammy.....and fucking El Fuerte.

Even though I went out of my way to get a copy yesterday, the GS I pre-ordered at hasn't even called me. One of my friend pre-ordered at that place, so I hope at least they have his copy today.

[quote name='BustaUppa']oh I'm hardly the one to ask... but based on my recent research I'd imagine the converter could be a trouble spot. And I guess see if your monitor can do one of those 1080 resolutions.

I suggest going to AVSforum and playing around with their google search, I've been doing a lot of that lately![/QUOTE]

HDMI dvi converters are passive it just changes pinouts. That setup will be based on whatever the input lag and response time are which is hard to tell with just a brand name.

[quote name='BustaUppa']oh I'm hardly the one to ask... but based on my recent research I'd imagine the converter could be a trouble spot. And I guess see if your monitor can do one of those 1080 resolutions.

I suggest going to AVSforum and playing around with their google search, I've been doing a lot of that lately![/quote]

[quote name='BULL_Ship']HDMI dvi converters are passive it just changes pinouts. That setup will be based on whatever the input lag and response time are which is hard to tell with just a brand name.[/quote]

Yeah its just a cable that starts out as HDMI and ends in DVI. I was thinking it was basically the same thing as running a VGA connection.

I thought i read somewhere that an LCD monitor is better than TV as long as the ms was low. I think mine is 4ms. Then they went into all this tech talk that just confuses me :whistle2:#

I ended up going with the 360 version. I will be getting the PS3 version as well sometime soon. Please change OP thanks. Whoever wants to play send me a FR.

[quote name='Japakneez']Yeah its just a cable that starts out as HDMI and ends in DVI. I was thinking it was basically the same thing as running a VGA connection.

I thought i read somewhere that an LCD monitor is better than TV as long as the ms was low. I think mine is 4ms. Then they went into all this tech talk that just confuses me :whistle2:#[/QUOTE]

Yah but there is a difference between lag time and response time. Basically you have to do the tests yourself to figure out what it is (Basicly you use dual output on you pc and take a picture of the monitor and a crt monitor) Chances are the monitor you got is good enough just make sure you are running the xbox at 1920 x 1080 (closest res to your monitor) to minimize the work load of the monitor's scaler.

[quote name='B:L']Best Buy: "Oh we guarantee that SFIV will be in stock BY 2pm. So we CAN'T sell it until 2pm!"

fuckING RETARDED.[/QUOTE]

That sounds like the guy at TRU today: "You can't return that Gamecube at this store because we don't have any in stock any more."

ummm, I bought the last two from the store, so that means I can't return it...wtf?! :lol: luckily the manager let me do it.

fuckING RETARDED.[/quote]
The best buy around me had it yesterday and was sold out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back