General Fighting Game Thread IV Does 6.538 Billion Damage

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']snow?[/QUOTE]

I heard of it once. It's this cold white stuff that falls from the sky, kinda like rain. I could be wrong.

[quote name='Rodimus']I heard of it once. It's this cold white stuff that falls from the sky, kinda like rain. I could be wrong.[/QUOTE]

Ooooh, you mean this?

image102.png

got damn man... I found out at like 10am today about the Dave n Buster tournament, and it was already capped.

not that it matter... I dont even play fighting games anymore o_O

I only play competitive bayonetta now.

GG's to Beef tonight in SFIV. The matches where we played our Mains were pretty rad. Gouken stopping Cross-Ups is still stupid and I stand by my statement that Vega without meter (on wakeup) is TOO FREE.

Gotta stop throwing those fireballs on knockdown when Seth or Abel have Ultra :)

Seattle bound tomorrow with the Misses. Didn't realize it was past 11pm. Flight is in 7 hours and I haven't packed anything yet hahaha

GGs mang. I can throw fireballs, but I have to remember to charge them so that I can juuuuust get out of that Ultra range (against Abel, that is). And yeah, all Vega can do without meter on wakeup is 1) Backdash, or 2) Block. It's awful. I can't even step into the Vega Suggestion Thread in SRK anymore, because half of the people in there think that Vega DOESN'T need I-Frames on Scarlet Terror. It boggles the mind!

The Fuerte/Gief matches were fun too. I'm playing with Gief in tiny bits so I can get used to doing 360 motions for Tony Hawk. Still mainly concentrating on Gouken/Claw though.

fuck, if Gouken and/or Claw don't get any significant changes in Super (seeing as how they both have fundamental flaws in their moves), then I may have to switch mains permanently.

[quote name='Mr. Beef']GGs mang. I can throw fireballs, but I have to remember to charge them so that I can juuuuust get out of that Ultra range (against Abel, that is). And yeah, all Vega can do without meter on wakeup is 1) Backdash, or 2) Block. It's awful. I can't even step into the Vega Suggestion Thread in SRK anymore, because half of the people in there think that Vega DOESN'T need I-Frames on Scarlet Terror. It boggles the mind!

The Fuerte/Gief matches were fun too. I'm playing with Gief in tiny bits so I can get used to doing 360 motions for Tony Hawk. Still mainly concentrating on Gouken/Claw though.

fuck, if Gouken and/or Claw don't get any significant changes in Super (seeing as how they both have fundamental flaws in their moves), then I may have to switch mains permanently.[/QUOTE]

Definitely agree with you there even though I don't play Claw or Gouken. Wouldn't be surprised if they got some buffs, as the newest blog translation on SSFIV mentions they are definitely changes coming along. I was wondering why Abel seems to be getting so many buffs. I think he is fine the way he is.

Also Gouken's footsies are mehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

[quote name='distgfx']I think that'd be troublesome considering the systems everybody is getting them for will probably be split down the middle. I know almost everybody in the chat is getting it for the PS3, as am I.[/QUOTE]

True didn't even think about that.

I heard of it once. It's this cold white stuff that falls from the sky, kinda like rain. I could be wrong.

Ooooh, you mean this?

Enjoy your next hurricane you bastards.

[quote name='asianxcore']Definitely agree with you there even though I don't play Claw or Gouken. Wouldn't be surprised if they got some buffs, as the newest blog translation on SSFIV mentions they are definitely changes coming along.[/QUOTE]

From what I understand, Vega's claw has more durability (meh), his "overhead" is now an actual overhead (haha, finally), and his walldives are faster (intrigued, yet suspicious). While this is all well and good, I would trade all of that for I-Frames on Scarlet Terror.

Gouken is good, but only because of his damage output. Actually getting in there to utilize his extreme damage is another thing entirely. He has shitty links (can't link anything unless you use standing or crouching FP), he can't juggle properly from j. MP unless it hits once, and don't get me started on his Tatsu.

I explained it to Uraizen in the chat, but he really needs to not have his counters linked to Focus Attack.

[quote name='Mr. Beef']I explained it to Uraizen in the chat, but he really needs to not have his counters linked to Focus Attack.[/QUOTE]
what
that is broken tier

I think more FGT are gonna get it for PS3 since a lot of your Xbox's broke or got banned (then there's ReRo with his broken PS3). I'll be getting both versions so I can take on all challengers. :)

I'll be getting it on Xbox 360 since that's the only platform I have. I personally can't wait.

On a completely unrelated note I fucking hate Chun's jumping D+MK in ST, the priority on it is retarded. I have a friend that was doing the repeating pogo D+MK today and I couldn't for the life of me find a reliable counter to it with Honda. IT BEATS ALMOST EVERYTHING! I would think a reversal headbutt or sumo splash would counter it but they get stuffed. Maybe it's just a timing thing, guess I need to work on it or find a counter-pick.

Hey - I guess that's what I get for doing tick throws :lol:

Alright, who put the "abobo swim" tag on the thread? I DON'T HAVE IT IN FOR BILLY AND JIMMY LEE, NOR AM I MUTATED!!! THAT THIRD EYE ON MY FOREHEAD IS JUST A REALLY BIG PIMPLE!!!:headache:
:lol::lol::lol:

[quote name='BlueSwim']Alright, who put the "abobo swim" tag on the thread? I DON'T HAVE IT IN FOR BILLY AND JIMMY LEE, NOR AM I MUTATED!!! THAT THIRD EYE ON MY FOREHEAD IS JUST A REALLY BIG PIMPLE!!!:headache:
[/QUOTE]

bimmy-jimmy.PNG

[quote name='BlueSwim']Alright, who put the "abobo swim" tag on the thread? I DON'T HAVE IT IN FOR BILLY AND JIMMY LEE, NOR AM I MUTATED!!! THAT THIRD EYE ON MY FOREHEAD IS JUST A REALLY BIG PIMPLE!!!:headache:
[/QUOTE]Prolly ReRo. I swear he gots an Aboboner.

[quote name='kainzero']what
that is broken tier[/QUOTE]

i kno rite, betr make gief have ful skreeen lareet and mak roo have mvc2 super firebawlz

Anyone down for some TvC right now? Code is: 3910-9150-5664

I've been wanting to play for the last few hours but my internets been down...... fucking snow

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Mr. Beef']From what I understand, Vega's claw has more durability (meh), his "overhead" is now an actual overhead (haha, finally), and his walldives are faster (intrigued, yet suspicious). While this is all well and good, I would trade all of that for I-Frames on Scarlet Terror.

Gouken is good, but only because of his damage output. Actually getting in there to utilize his extreme damage is another thing entirely. He has shitty links (can't link anything unless you use standing or crouching FP), he can't juggle properly from j. MP unless it hits once, and don't get me started on his Tatsu.

I explained it to Uraizen in the chat, but he really needs to not have his counters linked to Focus Attack.[/QUOTE]

You mean having his Counters act more like Rock, Geese or Hibiki's in CVS2? That shit would be wack. Gotta give up something for being able to discourage Cross-Up's or Mixups you know you won't even to start.

Hell, Seth can be lame against Gouken and just zone him out, but where is the fun in that. The Counters on Wake-Up stop j.HP, his basic Cross-Up and so forth. Best thing I can do to Gouken on Wake-Up with Seth is not do anything, FADC Shoryu, really weirdly timed Headstomp and so forth.

i went to alex valle's wed night fights thing. damn everyone is so nice compared to the arcade where you give everyone these mad dog looks and bump into each other as you try to figure out who's next.

[quote name='Mr. Beef']i kno rite, betr make gief have ful skreeen lareet and mak roo have mvc2 super firebawlz[/QUOTE]
bad grammar aside,

his counter is quick(starts up quick, and ends quick), and you can backdash twice afterwards and get all your life back or take risks and play aggressive.

rock, geese, and hibiki, if they miss a counter, you have all day to combo them, they don't do as much damage (except hibiki's cc followup, but that's a special case), and you can also block/parry/JD in the air with the requisite grooves.

Kneejerk reactions aside, Gouken's counter is too flawed to be linked to the FA system. He can't use it when his health is too low, and it gets broken by Reversals and armor breakers. Why is it that when I read you like a fucking book, I get punished for it?

It just makes sense. Besides, people already have several ways to stop his counter. Empty jump ins, throws, baiting out the wrong counter, etc. It's not like it's the move to beat in SFIV. If it wasn't linked to FA, then Gouken would finally be able to counter Reversals, making his air parry finally usable as well. Yeah, there would be the situations where a Gouken might use counter on your wakeup, but c'mon, it's easy to stop that if you use the answers I listed above.

[quote name='Mr. Beef']Kneejerk reactions aside, Gouken's counter is too flawed to be linked to the FA system. He can't use it when his health is too low, and it gets broken by Reversals and armor breakers. Why is it that when I read you like a fucking book, I get punished for it?[/quote]
That doesn't make any sense.
If you read him like a book, you'd know you can't counter in that situation, just like I can't FA in that situation. The opponent is the one who read you.

It just makes sense. Besides, people already have several ways to stop his counter. Empty jump ins, throws, baiting out the wrong counter, etc. It's not like it's the move to beat in SFIV. If it wasn't linked to FA, then Gouken would finally be able to counter Reversals, making his air parry finally usable as well. Yeah, there would be the situations where a Gouken might use counter on your wakeup, but c'mon, it's easy to stop that if you use the answers I listed above.
Risk/reward for counter on reversal wakeup is skewed. After counter, you can get an instant setup for a fireball zoning game since you push them so far, and the threat of counter gives you something to worry about and increases Gouken's options. He'll be able to stand next to you as you get up and threaten counter or throw. It recovers really fast so that certain characters can't combo him. I'm sure that the window for the counter is so fat that you can early time a jump-in and be able to block when they land from the empty jump.

I just don't see why having an FA link is so bad.

Phrosty I won't be able to do it this weekend, forgot that is Valentine weekend and she is into this hallmark bs so yeah. Now Im off to drop a few grand on stupid shit.

The counter window isn't so big that I can throw out a counter super-early and expect a hit. Timing is still very much involved, and the post-lag from not getting anything from counter is longer than you think. Blocking after missing a counter is rarely a possibility, unless both players mess up spectacularly.

And I should get punished for using counter as it was meant to be used? "Hey, here comes an attack, I should counter it...oh wait, it's a tiger knee, looks like I'm fucked."

My opponent read me? IT'S A COUNTER. It should stop all attacks that aren't throws (although I'll concede that countering Ultras is just plain silly). Like I said already, the main use for a counter is that I'm using it to punish you because I predicted your attack. Making it linked to FA just hinders a move that already takes a lot of guess work to use properly.

[quote name='Mr. Beef']And I should get punished for using counter as it was meant to be used? "Hey, here comes an attack, I should counter it...oh wait, it's a tiger knee, looks like I'm fucked."

My opponent read me? IT'S A COUNTER. It should stop all attacks that aren't throws (although I'll concede that countering Ultras is just plain silly). Like I said already, the main use for a counter is that I'm using it to punish you because I predicted your attack. Making it linked to FA just hinders a move that already takes a lot of guess work to use properly.[/QUOTE]
I bolded everything that is YOUR opinion.

There is nothing in the game that says it SHOULD be a certain way. All we know is that it offers a very fast knockdown attack, linked to FA, and has enough wakeup frames for you to set up a close rushdown game or zoning game. That's it. We have no devlogs, no developer intent that it was supposed to counter everything.

To say you read your opponent is laughable when you don't even know the properties of your own move and say that it should be how you imagined it in your head.

I'm obviously not using it against armor-breaking moves, so don't go and assume that I am. The fact that it can be broken at all is the reason why I'm angered about this. I know I can't counter everything, and that's what bugs me. I'm not a counter-happy Gouken player here, but the fact that I lose one of my moves if I'm at low enough health, coupled with the fact that certain moves are just plain unstoppable due to a lousy design decision, just boggles the mind.

EDIT: Come to think of it, does anyone actually believe that giving Gouken an unbreakable counter would shoot him straight to the top? I can't think of any reason why anyone would get scared of unbreakable counter anyways.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='LostRoad']Phrosty I won't be able to do it this weekend, forgot that is Valentine weekend and she is into this hallmark bs so yeah. Now Im off to drop a few grand on stupid shit.[/QUOTE]

You're not the only one that forgot.. luckily I have the weekend off... *scrambles for ideas*.

[quote name='option.iv']SSFIV for the PS3, as I have no 360.

fuck that Gouken counter shit. What the fuck were they thinking giving Cammy a fucking Counter Ultra.[/QUOTE]

It's Capcom. I'm happy with some of the new Ultras but in general I wish they made all of them a little more viable. Could have added another layer to the game, as players would be have to be strategic in what Ultra to pick depending on who they play against, etc etc..

Does anyone really think you'd pick Seth's Ultra II over his free as hell Ultra I? Unless they change the properties of Ultra I for Seth, I'll rarely pick Ultra II unless I am fucking around.

Beef, I don't think Gouken would be top even with a Counter better than the one he has now. His normal suck compared to most of the cast, he main way to hit his Ultra clean has a tech window of like 10 years, and he's sort of a meter whore with little reward for it. Linking the Counter to FA makes sense though. Even just having the Counter out and change how another player plays. For me personally, the fact that it stuffs Seth's Dick Kick mixups and Crossups, discourage any sort of aggressive game I can pull out outside my corner shenanigans. Also it eats up j.FP. Also as kainzero mentioned, it pushes back way for rushdown opportunities and zoning opportunities. Shit is ugly.

Counter for lack of DP or reliable AA.

[quote name='Rodimus']gg BlueSwim. We were evenly matched for the last several games. Lets play again.[/QUOTE]GG's to you, as well!:D:D:D We definitely need to play again. That was a ton of fun last night! Loved the finish to that Alex & Zero/Ryu & Casshan match where we both had very low heath and Alex's super made him leap right over Ryu's Hadoken and hit him for the KO. I literally put the controller down and applauded. That was freaking epic!:applause::applause::applause:

So I got to play some of XBL's top players yesterday. Damn, now I know why they are up there. Death Note LK (Ryu) and x Sigfried x (best Seth I ever seen). I'll be trying to learn from them. Death Note has a great zoning game, his footsies are ok. Sigfried's Seth is unbelievably perfect, his cross up and mix up game is sick with it.

[quote name='option.iv']SSFIV for the PS3, as I have no 360.

fuck that Gouken counter shit. What the fuck were they thinking giving Cammy a fucking Counter Ultra.[/QUOTE]

:shock:

Time to re-learn Cammy!

I wouldn't mind the counter ultras (and in a similar vein, Vega's Super) if you didn't have to burn your meter just to use it and hope they hit you. It'd be a lot better if you could do the motion, counter pose, and if you get hit, it activates and eats meter.

It won't happen, but a guy can dream.

[quote name='BlueSwim']GG's to you, as well!:D:D:D We definitely need to play again. That was a ton of fun last night! Loved the finish to that Alex & Zero/Ryu & Casshan match where we both had very low heath and Alex's super made him leap right over Ryu's Hadoken and hit him for the KO. I literally put the controller down and applauded. That was freaking epic!:applause::applause::applause:[/QUOTE]

Thanks, that match was our best. I wish there was a record option cause that one was a keeper. That jumping super is difficult to pull off since you can't control the distance like you can in 3s.

About 4 or 5 matches in you must have turned on Super Saiyan mode cause you really ramped up your game.

[quote name='TLPRIME']Ohhh look what Jeff Gerstmann over at Giant Bomb got today... http://twitpic.com/12tcfc

What could this mean?!?! It's a mystery![/QUOTE]
For me it means goodbye Balrog, hello Dudley.

Nah, who am I kidding - I'll probably still stick with the 'Rog.

[quote name='Rodimus']Thanks, that match was our best. I wish there was a record option cause that one was a keeper. That jumping super is difficult to pull off since you can't control the distance like you can in 3s.

About 4 or 5 matches in you must have turned on Super Saiyan mode cause you really ramped up your game.[/QUOTE]My secret strategy was to use the first several matches to build up my power level and then unleash my energy for MASSIVE DAMAGE!!!:lol::lol::lol:

Anybody see this kick-ass, all-female Super Street Fighter IV trailer? ITS GOT CAMMY!!!:whee::whee::whee:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUYYLJaQPw0&feature=player_embedded

Gotta love how you can actually make out what's happening while still retaining the watercolor look from the other trailers.

Saw that video earlier today. It's fucking awesome.
If only they could make an movie like that, instead of the stupid Ties that Bond anime.

I hope these next 2 months go by fast, I can't wait for SSFIV. I don't know why they are waiting so long to announce the last characters, almost all rumors are already true, I just want to see them in action.

bread's done
Back