General Role-Playing Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='depascal22']Did you dislike Final Fantasy XII as well? I think I gave FF a second chance just because I liked Vagrant so much.[/QUOTE]

Good guess, I do not like XII.

I dunno, I pretty much hated Persona 2 as well. The battles in Nocturne and Persona 3 are so much better. The story for 2 seemed more interesting (I didn't finish it) than 3's.

I didn't finish Persona 2 because I could never beat the Joker in the TV studio. He kept casting that spell that would make one person become him and start causing havoc. Sadly, I still have to play P3.

[quote name='willardhaven']Breath of Fire IV
Chrono Cross

What have you already played?[/QUOTE]

Beat both of those. I've played most of the more popular PSX RPGs, save for a few which I've tried and not gotten too far at all (Suikoden II, earlier Personas, etc.)

[quote name='Rodimus']If ya got the cash:
Suikoden II
Persona 2
Valkyrie Profile

FF9 was the best PS1 FF game.[/QUOTE]

I don't think I'd say the best, but 9 was really solid.

[quote name='willardhaven']I think I'm one of the only people in this thread who didn't like Vagrant Story.[/QUOTE]

Make it two. Although I still own it, so maybe I'll go back and give it another chance some day.

Beat Chrono Trigger for the first time. I probably would have liked this a lot more if I played it back in the day, but it's worth getting at least a few more endings with. Now to start playing Cross...

I tried finishing the Obelisk in Nocturne today. Got pretty past save point D when a Succubus nailed my protagonist with a Death spell. It sucks having to go back but I like the challenge of this game.

I also like how there are so many random encounters. It means less grinding since every dungeon turns into one big grind.

[quote name='willardhaven']I didn't get far in Nocturne, it's a dense game though. It manages to be a lot of fun despite the random encounters.[/QUOTE]
Same here. I'd love to play some more of Nocturne but it just demands so much of my time...

Last edited by a moderator:
True. I think I may put it down for a little bit tho or I feel as if I'm gonna get burned out.

I may either play DQ VIII, FF XII, or maybe Enchanted Arms.

I liked Final Fantasy XII but I didn't like DQVIII at all. I'm usually a sucker for old-school turn based RPGs but something about DQVIII just rubbed me the wrong way.

Too slow? Really? All you do is set your Gambits and the computer takes the boring shit out of fighting: constantly selecting attacks/spells. If it's too slow, can't you just set the game speed higher?

It was more the sheer size of things... for example the Sand Sea, it took ages to walk through all those similar areas just because you have to stop every few feet and battle with some Jawas. I'll get back to it eventually, but I wasn't a big fan. The towns were lame too, half the people couldn't even talk.

That was because the towns had SO MANY people that being able to talk to all of them would be downright retarded. I mean, did you see how big Rabanastre and Archades were? If everyone could talk you'd be flooded with "X" button notifications.

Quick question: how necessary is it to have played the first SMT Devil Summoner game to play the second? Are they direct squeals which follow the same character/ events? Or are they more like the Persona games- each being its own standalone story?

The story in FFXII was not interesting (to me) at all. I enjoyed the gambit system to an extent, but after a while it really felt like the game was playing itself. A friend poured over a hundred hours into that beast while I was staying with him, and it was literally the same BS the whole way through. No thanks, I'll wait for XIII.

I'm about 5 hours into FF XII. So far the story is really interesting, and I've gotten used to the gameplay. What really frustrates me most is the inverted camera controls, but I guess I'll just have to get used to it. The combat is just overall "okay" but nothing special. The game world seems like its going to be pretty massive. Seems like its gonna be a fun adventure.

Is there a world map in Chrono Cross? I'm on the main map just outside the beach where you meet Leena at and I can't find a world map.

[quote name='Krymner']I'm about 5 hours into FF XII. So far the story is really interesting, and I've gotten used to the gameplay. What really frustrates me most is the inverted camera controls, but I guess I'll just have to get used to it. The combat is just overall "okay" but nothing special. The game world seems like its going to be pretty massive. Seems like its gonna be a fun adventure.[/QUOTE]

When I came back to it a few weeks ago to finally finish of the story and the last dungeon, I began leveling up and doing a bunch of sidequests, thinking I had been to every area in the game.

I hadn't even set foot in like 3 whole zones, and they were all big as hell, I was totally surprised because I didn't remember how goddamn huge the world was.

I didnt like FF12 much when i first started playing it, in fact i gave up on it and then later returned to it. Once i did, i read a FAQ on how to properly use the gambit system and i flipped loved every single second of it from that point till the end of the game. Great story too. One of my fav Final Fantasy games ever created.

I got really hooked on FFXII's battle system at first, before I even got a second character. So I got pretty burned out on it by the end.

[quote name='Flak']Is there a world map in Chrono Cross? I'm on the main map just outside the beach where you meet Leena at and I can't find a world map.[/QUOTE]

The world expands as you progress through the game. It'd s very linear game.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']I've made up my mind to finish the Xenosaga games. I've owned all three for a couple years now, and it's about time I actually play them.[/QUOTE]

3 is the best one of the bunch, although it has the most-standardized battle system of the three.

I enjoyed my playthru of the Xenosaga series last year. They aren't the best PS2 JRPGs out there; the stories could get kinda weird and/or boring at moments and the battle systems took time to get used to (especially 2) but I don't consider my time wasted. As its been said, Xeno 2 is the worst of the trilogy, but thankfully its also the shortest. I think I finished it in ~20 hours, and that's including about 75% of the useless sidequests.

FFXII has me. I'm still frustrated with the camera, but everything else is fun. Not ready to say FFXII > FFX yet, but its getting there.

I just couldn't get into the first Xenosaga and my opinion of the series dropped even more when I heard it was going from eight games to three.

so I'm playing Devil Summoner 2.

~3 hours in, pretty dang fun, tho I jus gotta say...

omg this game's music is faaaaaaaantastic!!!! so. good.

it's very jazzy style... yet still sounds like SMT stuff.

oh yeay... Fragile!!!

[quote name='JEKKI']so I'm playing Devil Summoner 2.

~3 hours in, pretty dang fun, tho I jus gotta say...

omg this game's music is faaaaaaaantastic!!!! so. good.

it's very jazzy style... yet still sounds like SMT stuff.[/QUOTE]

:puke:

They need to keep Meguro away from that synthesized horn.

[quote name='pete5883']Don't get me wrong, I love the LP3, LP4, and all of the Linkin Park soundtracks. Just not the Devil Summoner soundtracks.[/QUOTE]daaang man... maybe u should change your name to abe5883, coz u're like Abraham Linkin or something...

I beat the first three Riders in Nocturne. Now I get to go to the Third Kalpa in the Amala Network. I also beat the optional boss in Shibuya that you get to fight after you clear the Obelisk. He's really tough since he casts Diarahan every turn he takes damage. Bright Might, Counter, the Physical attack up spell are the only ways you can beat that dude and you better be above level 50.

[quote name='JEKKI']daaang man... maybe u should change your name to abe5883, coz u're like Abraham Linkin or something...[/QUOTE]
:rofl: Jekki, don't ever change.

About 20 hours into FFXII now and I still feel as if I've barely scratched the surface of the game.

How good is the FFXII spinoff game for the DS?

I actually thought Revenant Wings was really bad because they squeeze way too much into such a small screen. You basically have to micromanage your teams in real time and that becomes nearly impossible when you have a several allies and a dozen bad guys on the screen.

To me, playing FFXII: Revenant Wings wasn't that fun. It's similar to Halo Wars in that it's a watered-down RTS when compared to something similar on the PC. If you don't mind how console-based RTS games play, then you may enjoy FFXII: RW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back