General Role-Playing Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Flak']Dear lord the Black Omen (Chrono Trigger) is taking forever. All I want is the white gemstone but I'm up to the giga mutant and still nothing.[/quote]
What level is your party? In all of my (first) playthroughs, Omen was super easy. You better have been Charming Speed Tablets off the wall bosses.

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']I'd be very surprised if the PS3 version ever made it stateside. Of course if it did I'd probably pick it up again.

And I heard alot about Cross Edge... but nothing good about it.[/quote]

I have a strong feeling it will, there are a lot of people willing to double-dip for the extra content (if it's exclusive), and no real competition until 2010.

I just got through Kabukicho Prison in Nocturne without a guide. I just turned it into a big grinding party and literally went through every door, climbed every ladder, and checked every dead end. I did that and I captured alot of new demons to fuse them. This game has got me hooked.

[quote name='willardhaven']I have a strong feeling it will, there are a lot of people willing to double-dip for the extra content (if it's exclusive), and no real competition until 2010.[/quote]
I don't know, The Tales series have never really sold well in the US. And I hear the numbers for ToV weren't great...

[quote name='Mr. Beef']What level is your party? In all of my (first) playthroughs, Omen was super easy. You better have been Charming Speed Tablets off the wall bosses.[/quote]
I made it through. Everyone's a little over 50. The fights weren't difficult, it's just the dungeon is effing long. Thanks for the tip about charming, I'll have to take Ayla with me next time.

[quote name='willardhaven']It's not a blockbuster, but it made them money. Same with Eternal Sonata.[/quote]

Where'd you hear that? Not being skeptical, just curious.

Honestly, just common sense. If a game sells 100,000 copies (ToV) it earned the company money. Translating a game is alot cheaper than developing one.

oh final fantasy tactics advance 2, you are so sly

ffta2.jpg

[quote name='depascal22']I just got through Kabukicho Prison in Nocturne without a guide. I just turned it into a big grinding party and literally went through every door, climbed every ladder, and checked every dead end. I did that and I captured alot of new demons to fuse them. This game has got me hooked.[/quote]

Have you went through the Kapala's yet? Even with a guide that place was intimidating to go to. So unforgiving.

There was only one door I never entered. I needed the Pixie that you recruit at the very begining of the game. Most likely she either evolves into Queen Mab or you fuse her which is fine, but I accidentally got rid of her.

[quote name='Rodimus']Have you went through the Kapala's yet? Even with a guide that place was intimidating to go to. So unforgiving.

There was only one door I never entered. I needed the Pixie that you recruit at the very begining of the game. Most likely she either evolves into Queen Mab or you fuse her which is fine, but I accidentally got rid of her.[/quote]

I'm still fighting the Onis in the Ikekuburo Tunnel. Luckily, I kept my High Pixie that I got in the hospital in Shibuya. Her Lucky Find skill has come in handy and I've kept her decently leveled up so she can heal the party in a pinch.

^ Oh god I hope so. They've shown interest in getting the license from the series to publish some games. But it could also be Growlanser, which I hope is not the case.

Picked up a copy of Shadow Hearts to play after I finish Nocturne.

Nocturne is so much better now that I have the guide. It's saving me alot of time since I'm not getting caught by bosses without the right Magatama equipped. I love how you can summon new demons but I really wish there was a way to change Magatama mid-battle. It's not a big deal now but I was getting murdered by some bosses before the guide.

Holy hell getting lumicite in CT is a bitch and a half. Can't wait to sterilize my hands of Lost Sanctum, what a shitty dungeon. Unless you love climbing mountains a million friggin' times. Hope the Dimensional Vortex isn't as terrible.

So this hunt for lumicite is driving me batshit certified. I was told Milennia Woods in 600 AD was the easiest place to find it, and it's only appeared once for me and poofed before I could do anything.

Do I have to progress through Lost Sanctum at all before I can turn in lumicite? I'm thinking I'll just do the Dimensional Vortex next playthrough and get the lumicite then, I hear the Wonder fuckers are more common there.

whoo! goal for the weekend... beat Grandia II!

I think I'm almost there, jus gotta make time for it.

just in time for Raidou!!!!

also... Super Robot Wars for DS is real good.

if u like a type of battle system where u gotta press a lot of buttons, like Mario RPG, Shadow Hearts, or Legend of Dragoon, then u will enjoy this battle system.

the dialog in this game is also fantastic!!

[quote name='Rodimus']My memory of CT is fuzzy. What was lumicite again?[/quote]
It's used in one of the new dungeons, Lost Sanctum, to make the elemental aegis. You have to get it from a wonder rock.

Grandia II is taking fooooorever!!

like, 27 hours already... and I was jus less than 20 when I started again on friday >_<

anywayz... I got this!!

2s6q1xe.jpg

Ys Oath in Felghana!! excitement indeed!!

I wish I hadn't made the mistake of starting up Oblivion while I'm playing through Tales of Symphonia. I've been so busy with the former that I've started to neglect the latter, which is a shame because ToS really lives up to the hype.

I'm at the beginning of the second act right after
it turns out the whole world regeneration journey was just a trap laid out my those angel guys.

[quote name='Flak']It's used in one of the new dungeons, Lost Sanctum, to make the elemental aegis. You have to get it from a wonder rock.[/quote]

I don't think I ever did that and I completed all the bonus dungeons. Was this required to complete the dungeon?

[quote name='Sparta Omni']Grandia II is amazing.[/quote]

I'll second that, I loved the battle system and it's still in my top 5 all time rpg's. I just started Tales of Vesperia and it's got a small Grandia 2 vibe. The gods also smiled on my this weekend, I picked up a complete/very good Panzer Dragoon Saga. I got my Saturn working yesterday so I got my next two games lined up!

[quote name='Rodimus']I don't think I ever did that and I completed all the bonus dungeons. Was this required to complete the dungeon?[/quote]
Nope, it's not required to complete it. I'm just OCD for a complete item encyclopedia. I'm gonna try a few more times to find a wonder rock tomorrow and if not I'll just start a new game and when I can access both new dungeons I'll report back on my findings.

[quote name='Flak']So this hunt for lumicite is driving me batshit certified. I was told Milennia Woods in 600 AD was the easiest place to find it, and it's only appeared once for me and poofed before I could do anything.

Do I have to progress through Lost Sanctum at all before I can turn in lumicite? I'm thinking I'll just do the Dimensional Vortex next playthrough and get the lumicite then, I hear the Wonder fuckers are more common there.[/quote]

I gave up. The new dungeons suck. It's not worth getting 100% item collection in my opinion. I just played though them once, got all the chests and went straight to NG+ to get the endings.

I do have low expectations for the recently-announced Lunar: The Silver Star PSP remake.

lunar.jpg

Not sure if the PSP is the ideal platform, but since it seems to be getting a crap-ton of classic RPG remakes, it doesn't really surprise me. One thing I'm not too thrilled about is the last two words in this press release:

This latest version, Lunar: Harmony of Silver Star, will feature not only updated visuals, but an all-new user interface, along with new art and new music.
In other RPG news, I'm still plodding thru SMT Nocturne, although I haven't gotten to put much time into it recently because of work and other stuff. Damn real life gettin in the way of my RPGs.

Why does all the RPG greatness come out on PSP? Anyways I loved the first Lunar. It's the most cliched RPG in every sense, but for some reason it's okay. Maybe cause it's the first one I played that introduced those cliches. Still have my Galleon boxing hand puppet too..... somewhere.

What CAG's are getting Cross Edge in 2 weeks? This will be my first NIS game, so I hope I don't dislike it horribly. I own Persona 3 FES/4 but I haven't played either one yet so I don't have too much experience on the Atlus side of things either.

[quote name='MSUHitman']What CAG's are getting Cross Edge in 2 weeks? This will be my first NIS game, so I hope I don't dislike it horribly. I own Persona 3 FES/4 but I haven't played either one yet so I don't have too much experience on the Atlus side of things either.[/QUOTE]
I'll probably hold off on it unless I hear great things about it. I really don't need to waste more money on RPGs when I have 4 or 5 sitting in my backlog.

[quote name='MSUHitman']What CAG's are getting Cross Edge in 2 weeks? This will be my first NIS game, so I hope I don't dislike it horribly. I own Persona 3 FES/4 but I haven't played either one yet so I don't have too much experience on the Atlus side of things either.[/QUOTE]
I've had it preordered for awhile now, but then again I pick up every NIS or Idea Factory game. Sprite whore here.

It's very final fantasy-ish, but it's a very depressing and emo-like story, but it's to be expected with what the whole story is about (being immortal).

Nothing epic, but overall a decent game, I wasn't a fan of the characters though.

[quote name='Sparta Omni']It's very final fantasy-ish, but it's a very depressing and emo-like story, but it's to be expected with what the whole story is about (being immortal).

Nothing epic, but overall a decent game, I wasn't a fan of the characters though.[/QUOTE]

There are a lot of 360 owners touting it as the one of the best rpg's they have ever played. Maybe they have nothing to compare it to other than Blue Dragon?

It really is an excellent game, it just suffers from some poor character design issues and a slow pace in battle and story at times.

I'd say its definitely worth a purchase and playthrough.

i was thinking of gettin LO but heard about alot of problem with the disk be damage. so i decide i still to TOV for now and try to find other good rpg

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']It's not as good as Tales of Vesperia.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='heavyd853']It really is an excellent game, it just suffers from some poor character design issues and a slow pace in battle and story at times.

I'd say its definitely worth a purchase and playthrough.[/QUOTE]

This.

[quote name='Sparta Omni']This.[/QUOTE]

I'll see how it goes then. The game should be here in about 2-4 days. Tales of Vesperia and Star Ocean are in the que next.

I didn't like Star Ocean 4 that much. The voice acting is horrible, character models look like dolls , switching disks is pain in the ass if you doing optional quest, and story is dreadful. The only bright side is combat system, yet it's still not quite as polish as Tales' series.

I might've ruined Lunar SSS for myself by playing Lunar Legend. Then again the voice acting quite possibly could have turned me off if I played the PS1 version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back