General Role-Playing Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Krymner']About 20 hours into FFXII now and I still feel as if I've barely scratched the surface of the game.

How good is the FFXII spinoff game for the DS?[/QUOTE]

It's decent. I didn't finish it due to lack of interest, but it's certainly not a bad game. Not as good as FFXII PS2, in comparison at least.

I'm plowing through Chrono Trigger DS this weekend and looking to make Final Fantasy VI my next game. Is there any difference between the GBA remake and the SNES version?

Thanks for the Revanant Wings info. I've had my eye on a copy at a local used shop and I might pick it up. Is the story in line with FFXII PS2 or is it some kinda offshoot thing?

[quote name='mrchainsaw']I'm plowing through Chrono Trigger DS this weekend and looking to make Final Fantasy VI my next game. Is there any difference between the GBA remake and the SNES version?[/QUOTE]

From the FFVI Wiki concerning the GBA port:

It includes additional gameplay features and enhanced visuals, as well as a re-translated script that follows Japanese naming conventions for the spells and monsters, but it does not feature the full motion videos from the PlayStation release of the game. Four new espers appear in this re-release: Leviathan, Gilgamesh, Cactuar, and Diabolos. Two new areas include the Dragons' Den dungeon, which includes the Kaiser Dragon, a monster coded but not included in the original, and a "Soul Shrine", a place where the player can fight monsters continuously. Three new spells also appear, and several bugs from the original are fixed. In addition, similarly to the other handheld Final Fantasy re-releases, a bestiary and a music player are included. Interestingly, even in the Japanese version, the music player is in English and uses the American names, e.g. Strago over Stragus.[67] The package features new artwork by series veteran and original character and image designer Yoshitaka Amano. Additionally, a scene from prior releases of the game in which Celes is beaten is not present in this port.
The thing left out in the last sentence kinda upset me when I played thru it a few years ago, but its not a huge deal. The music is kinda watered-down compared to the original, and you may experience some slowdown in some of the battles, but overall its a pretty solid port.

[quote name='Krymner']Thanks for the Revanant Wings info. I've had my eye on a copy at a local used shop and I might pick it up. Is the story in line with FFXII PS2 or is it some kinda offshoot thing?[/QUOTE]

It's a direct sequel to FFXII. Vaan and Penelo are sky pirates and Balthier and Fran are also there. I didn't get far enough to flesh out the story since it's nearly impossible to play on such a small screen. I'd recommend Youtubing the cutscenes and saving your money, Krymner but diff'rent strokes I guess.

Just put in another 10 hours into FF XII. Now I understand how people can play this game for 100+ hours and still not be done. Most of what I did today was grinding and doing some sidequest hunts.

Anyone planning on getting that Final Fantasy IV Wiiware game this week?

And horray for FFVII coming to PSN. If I didn't have a disc copy I'd be all over it.

Has anyone else had any issues with disk 4 of Lost Odyssey just not reading? I did a little search and this doesn't seem to be that uncommon of a problem. If anyone faced this issue besides just replacing the disk how did you get around it or am I screwed. First day of vacation is rocking. :roll:

^ I never had a problem with Lost Odyssey. How did you buy your copy?

It must suck to get near the end only to have a software error. But most likely obtaining just the 4th disk may take some unethical steps.

I got it like a month ago new from a seller on Amazon. It looks fine, but from what I have been reading others have had this same problem. I sent a email to Mistwalker seeing if they will do anything but eh. Yeah I really don't want to do any shaddy shit just to get another copy of the disc so Im thinking ether order another copy or just say fuck it, but that will kinda bug me. Wanted to burn though some back log this week too

Went ahead and picked up that FFXII Revenant Wings. Not gonna start till I'm done with FFXII tho.

I did start Etrian Odyssey 2. Seems a bit harder starting out than the first one, but so far its the same solid dungeon crawler that the first one was. I like some of the new mapping options, but I still wish there was a little more depth to it.

I also sold some of my GBA RPGs (Golden Sun, Sword of Mana, Kingdom Hearts) to my cousin. Never much cared for Golden Sun, and I have beaten both Sword of Mana and Kingdom Hearts. However, I always feel sad later after selling or trading away RPGs, even if they were ones I didn't much like or had beaten. Not much sadness for other games, just RPGs.

[quote name='Moxio']Willard is wrong: Golden Sun/2 were amazing.[/QUOTE]
I need to get around to replay them one day.

[quote name='62t']Anyone else playing FFIV The After Years? Just completed the prologue, now on Rydia's chapter[/QUOTE]
I haven't even played FFIV yet... I have the GBA version still sealed. But how is the game anyway?

[quote name='Krymner']Went ahead and picked up that FFXII Revenant Wings. Not gonna start till I'm done with FFXII tho.

I did start Etrian Odyssey 2. Seems a bit harder starting out than the first one, but so far its the same solid dungeon crawler that the first one was. I like some of the new mapping options, but I still wish there was a little more depth to it.

I also sold some of my GBA RPGs (Golden Sun, Sword of Mana, Kingdom Hearts) to my cousin. Never much cared for Golden Sun, and I have beaten both Sword of Mana and Kingdom Hearts. However, I always feel sad later after selling or trading away RPGs, even if they were ones I didn't much like or had beaten. Not much sadness for other games, just RPGs.[/QUOTE]

Sword of Mana had the best GBA soundtrack ever!

Well, next to Castlevania: AOS

I'm wanting to get into an RPG badly but I want to play an RPG I've never played yet. I realized I've yet to touch many of the the more obscure PS2 RPGs like Mana Khemia 2, Ar Tonelico, Eternal Poison, Steamboat Chronicles, etc. I was even thinking about Wild Arms 5 if it was any good. What do you guys recomend?

I was also thinking about The Last Remnant. I heard mixed reviews but I'm so bored I was considering it.

Rod I think you would enjoy any of the NIS games you listed. I can not give an honest review of them because I have to admit I am a " fanboy " of their games. Haven't looked but have you checked out Infinite Undiscovery for a 360 rpg? Im going though it right now and am enjoying it. Story is pretty fast paced, combat is enjoyable, and has a nice little crafting system in it. On top of that I have read its only 20 hours plus to beat.

Did you already finish Devil Summoner 2?

I havn't finished Devil Summoner 2. Honestly I'm not enjoying it. I got to chapter 3 and was forcing myself to play it. I'm a little burnt out of the fusion process after beating Persona 4. I'll keep it and maybe come back to it later.

I heard I should stay far away from Infinte Undiscovery. It reviewed poorly and from what I understand Last Remnat is the better game.

I've never been a NIS fan, but I'll give em' another shot.

[quote name='Rodimus']I heard I should stay far away from Infinte Undiscovery. It reviewed poorly and from what I understand Last Remnat is the better game.[/QUOTE]
From what I hear it's not much better. But if you really want to check it out I'm sure it will hit $20 again at some point. I was thinking about picking it up myself but decided I would just wait and see how the PS3 version is.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Rodimus']I'm wanting to get into an RPG badly but I want to play an RPG I've never played yet. I realized I've yet to touch many of the the more obscure PS2 RPGs like Mana Khemia 2, Ar Tonelico, Eternal Poison, Steamboat Chronicles, etc. I was even thinking about Wild Arms 5 if it was any good. What do you guys recomend?

I was also thinking about The Last Remnant. I heard mixed reviews but I'm so bored I was considering it.[/QUOTE]

I enjoyed Wild ARMS 5 a lot.

I started playing Cross Edge. It's interesting, I don't know if I'll be able to finish it though.

While I didn't have the problem, I agree that they do not explain nearly enough in this game. As for saving, hit triangle on the over world, last option.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']While I didn't have the problem, I agree that they do not explain nearly enough in this game. As for saving, hit triangle on the over world, last option.[/QUOTE]
I completely missed that.... No big deal I was going to restart on Easy.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I wish I would have played on Easy, even Normal is hard as hell sometimes.[/QUOTE]
I started on normal but quickly got the feeling that I might want to go with easy.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I enjoyed Wild ARMS 5 a lot.[/QUOTE]

The only Wild Arms I ever beat was the first one. Wild Arms 3 looked fun but I never got around to it, and WA4 looked mediocore. Could you give me a mini review of WA5?

Ar Tonelico was really good. That being said you do have to appreciate moe to fully enjoy it. I also really like WA4. I have 5, but haven't finished it.

[quote name='Rodimus']The only Wild Arms I ever beat was the first one. Wild Arms 3 looked fun but I never got around to it, and WA4 looked mediocore. Could you give me a mini review of WA5?[/QUOTE]

The Wild ARMS series is one of my favorite RPG series along with Suikoden. 1 was definitely the best (although, a lot of people argue 2 was). The only problem with 4 was that it was really short, could be beat in about 25 hours.

I played 5 almost 2 years ago, so my memory is a little rusty. The battle system followed 4's battle system with the hexagon thing. I really enjoyed the battle system, it was definitely a bit more strategic than most turn-based RPGs. The characters and the story were pretty decent.

I've never played any of the Wild Arms games, but I have watched the anime, and wasn't too impressed with it overall but enjoyed the feel of the world itself. I'll eventually grab WA 1 off PSN someday. Are the games true sequels, or are they each unique like the Final Fantasy series?

Wild ARMs 4 was fun but really shallow, you could just blast away most of the bosses. 3 was my favorite in the series.

[quote name='Rodimus']I'm wanting to get into an RPG badly but I want to play an RPG I've never played yet. I realized I've yet to touch many of the the more obscure PS2 RPGs like Mana Khemia 2, Ar Tonelico, Eternal Poison, Steamboat Chronicles, etc. I was even thinking about Wild Arms 5 if it was any good. What do you guys recomend?

I was also thinking about The Last Remnant. I heard mixed reviews but I'm so bored I was considering it.[/QUOTE]

Do you have a list of games you have beaten? The Last Remnant looked alright but I read you can't even really issue commands to your team.

Do you have a list of games you have beaten? The Last Remnant looked alright but I read you can't even really issue commands to your team.

[quote name='willardhaven']Do you have a list of games you have beaten? The Last Remnant looked alright but I read you can't even really issue commands to your team.[/QUOTE]

It's probably better if I list the games I haven't beaten or at least intrested in. Anyways I've narrowed it down to:

Last Remnant
Tales of Abyss
Wild Arms 5
Ar Tonelica 2
Radiata Stories
Shadow Hearts II

Do any of the PS2 games I listed above support widescreen? I want to start something as early as tomarrow so I'm not sure if any of those are hard to locate. I'd like to hear everyone's opinions. I don't have much to do at work so I'll be spending all day researching for my decision.

[quote name='Rodimus']It's probably better if I list the games I haven't beaten or at least intrested in. Anyways I've narrowed it down to:

Last Remnant
Tales of Abyss
Wild Arms 5
Ar Tonelica 2
Radiata Stories
Shadow Hearts II

Do any of the PS2 games I listed above support widescreen? I want to start something as early as tomarrow so I'm not sure if any of those are hard to locate. I'd like to hear everyone's opinions. I don't have much to do at work so I'll be spending all day researching for my decision.[/QUOTE]

I would say Shadow Hearts II first. If you enjoyed the first one at all you owe it to yourself to see how the story ends, its really good imo. After that you can't go wrong with Tales of Abyss or Ar Tonelica 2. I would have to say the others you listed are average ( expect for Last Remnant havn't picked it up yet so no idea. )

[quote name='LostRoad']I would say Shadow Hearts II first. If you enjoyed the first one at all you owe it to yourself to see how the story ends, its really good imo.[/QUOTE]

That's the thing, I didn't like the 1st one or the 3rd one. But I always hear the SH2 was the best. Is it really all that diffrent?

Third one is shit. Should not have even been made. And no not really to be honest. It follows the same flow that was set and ends the story that the first one started. Is it better than the first one.. hard to say I can see why some would say it was but both where great imo, I like darker stories and this was up there.

Hell if you didn't care for the first one you can really just skip it though. I know you liked Tales games so go beat Abyss. It is easly the best tales game on the PS2, and Vesperia took some game play from it and improved upon it. I think that would be your best bet.

Eh thinking about it, we only had 2 tales games on the PS2 so that point it out, bottom line Tales of Abyss is hot shit. You won't go wrong with it.

After much research and reading of reviews I decided to get Wild Arms 5. Infact from the reviews I'm a bit surprised I didn't try it out sooner. The battle system seemed unique & intresting. I like puzzles in dungeons. I'm not sure about the story & characters but they all seemed decent from what I've seen. I know there's a brand new copy at my local GS. I'll probably go out tomarrow and pick it up.

Thanks to everyone who gave advice. All of it helped.

[quote name='Rodimus']After much research and reading of reviews I decided to get Wild Arms 5. Infact from the reviews I'm a bit surprised I didn't try it out sooner. The battle system seemed unique & intresting. I like puzzles in dungeons. I'm not sure about the story & characters but they all seemed decent from what I've seen. I know there's a brand new copy at my local GS. I'll probably go out tomarrow and pick it up.

Thanks to everyone who gave advice. All of it helped.[/QUOTE]
You know what? I'll join you in that playthrough. I have the game, but have yet to finish it. So lets see how we both end up liking it.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']You know what? I'll join you in that playthrough. I have the game, but have yet to finish it. So lets see how we both end up liking it.[/QUOTE]

Cool, we can compare notes. :) How far along are you?

[quote name='Rodimus']It's probably better if I list the games I haven't beaten or at least intrested in. Anyways I've narrowed it down to:

Last Remnant
Tales of Abyss
Wild Arms 5
Ar Tonelica 2
Radiata Stories
Shadow Hearts II

Do any of the PS2 games I listed above support widescreen? I want to start something as early as tomarrow so I'm not sure if any of those are hard to locate. I'd like to hear everyone's opinions. I don't have much to do at work so I'll be spending all day researching for my decision.[/QUOTE]

Tales of the Abyss is in my top 5 for PS2 RPGs, I suggest that when you finish Wild ARMs 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back