GFW Live Weekend deal: Batman AA 75% off

NutManIV

CAGiversary!
Details here...

So it should end up being $12.50. Much better than the GamersGate deal.

EDIT: Major Nelson has confirmed that this deal will be available in ALL regions that have Games on Demand support.

Last edited by a moderator:
GFWL is totally different from original Xbox Live. It's not going anywhere since it is tied into X360 Live. Original Xbox Live is not tied into GFWL in anything other than friends list.

I'm a steam whore, but since this game is GFWL anyway so achievements are tied to xbox it doesn't matter much to me in this case. Plus I have MS points to spend w00t.

I already had GFWL installed from Bioshock 2, so it should be pretty easy to get to purchasing and downloading I hope. Is there further DRM aside from GFWL? I haven't looked at it yet. Also how's it play via keyboard mouse? I played halfway through 360 before having to return it. I don't have a USB connect for my 360 controller..

one question about purchasing from GFWL, will the game be tied to my GFWL account so I can re-d/l in the future etc? How can I go about backing it up to restore later? Sorry used to the steam benefits =) $12.50 comes out to about how many MS points btw?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Wildcat1080']Does this have GFWL achievements?[/quote]

Yes.

I'm on the "wish this was on Steam" boat too, but this is still tempting.

Still don't get why. You still have to run GFWL with this game. You can re-download and reinstall at any time, from what I understand it has the same DRM.

I like Steam and they get a lot of my money. Just don't see an advantage on this particular deal.

Not trying to be argumentative. I guess I just have no allegiance for where my cheap ass dollars go :)

(Not to mention the fact I've got a bunch of MS points I can buy this with if I want to. MS points I've bought over time for at least 25% off, making this potentially an even better deal...)

[quote name='aznguyen316']I already had GFWL installed from Bioshock 2, so it should be pretty easy to get to purchasing and downloading I hope. Is there further DRM aside from GFWL?[/QUOTE]

I think it has SecureROM both places from what I've seen. GFWL generally allows up to 5 installs per month, so I don't think that will bother me too much.

Well, they'll likely give you a product key.

You can always try plugging that product key into Steam, and seeing if it will add the game to your account.

Unlike console wars, I think most people agree that Steam is superior and reliable, not that everyone cares about that enough to use it exclusively. But it's not the only reason that I use it exclusively, and I don't really have an "allegiance" to Steam. It's just that I would prefer to have all my games in one place, and with the backlog that I have, I can afford to be picky about that. Steam will probably have a decent sale for this by the time I would have gotten around to it, anyway.

[quote name='tony72']You can always try plugging that product key into Steam, and seeing if it will add the game to your account.[/QUOTE]
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-WUSF-3601

Eh. I just go with what's cheapest. I have a few games from GamersGate and Gog simply because they were cheaper than or unavailable on steam.

[quote name='playing mantis']Anyone thinking about buying this GFWL game should read the forums, it's a nightmare.[/QUOTE]

I've got several GFWL games and have had no problems so far associated with GFWL. I haven't purchased one from there, but have several GFW and GFWL titles.

For the money, I'll take the risk and actually download directly for this one. Great game, great price.

Examples of these "nightmares?" I find a lot of people seriously have issues working with computers when it comes to anything beyond e-mail, browsing, and productivity, so I take a lot of complaints with a grain of salt. Ever read "reviews" on Newegg? Yeah...

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Examples of these "nightmares?" I find a lot of people seriously have issues working with computers when it comes to anything beyond e-mail, browsing, and productivity, so I take a lot of complaints with a grain of salt. Ever read "reviews" on Newegg? Yeah...[/QUOTE]

My computer is harder to turn on than my PS3 ... would that be considered an "issue?" ;)

I already had this on Steam, but I went ahead and downloaded the free DLC on GFWL and, for anyone who cares to know, it works just fine on my Steam copy.

Will bite on this, thanks OP!! Was gonna try to score a physical copy at target clearance but doubt they will make it past $24 before being snatched up. This way I get a copy for the price I wanted to pay, since alreayd having it for 360. More gamerscore please!!

[quote name='MannishBoy']Yes.

Still don't get why. You still have to run GFWL with this game. You can re-download and reinstall at any time, from what I understand it has the same DRM.

I like Steam and they get a lot of my money. Just don't see an advantage on this particular deal.

Not trying to be argumentative. I guess I just have no allegiance for where my cheap ass dollars go :)

(Not to mention the fact I've got a bunch of MS points I can buy this with if I want to. MS points I've bought over time for at least 25% off, making this potentially an even better deal...)

I think it has SecureROM both places from what I've seen. GFWL generally allows up to 5 installs per month, so I don't think that will bother me too much.[/QUOTE]
I just like being able to keep all my drm and "game library" in one simple, fluid place like Steam. Less to install.

I want this though. I'll probably bite.

[quote name='LegendK7ll3r']I'm guessing around 5AM (EST), that's their usual update time.[/QUOTE]
That makes sense. Thanks

[quote name='mokmoof']for anyone who cares to know, it works just fine on my Steam copy.[/QUOTE]

How did you get it to work? Does it automatically integrate into Steam when you download the DLC, or it is more involved than that?

5:30, discounted on the website but on in the client.

Anyone know if you can load this as a non-steam game or do you have to go through the GFWL client? Its nice having one list o'games.

[quote name='thetruelokre']i noticed the sale runs through 10am on the day it ends...most likely will update about 10am est[/QUOTE]
The promo site said 10 AM PST. That would be 1 PM EST.

[quote name='Wildcat1080']I just like being able to keep all my drm and "game library" in one simple, fluid place like Steam. Less to install.

I want this though. I'll probably bite.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, having everything centralized is really my only reason for being "loyal" to Steam

I thought about it, I'm totally with the whole "I want it on Steam" thing, especially to have my entire library in one place, BUT since the game *requires* a GFW install anyway, I guess it isn't that big of a deal, for this game.

I'll wait and see if Steam matches and then decide which client I want the game on, right now I may just jump ship from Steam.

Do all GFWL titles do auto patch updates like Fallout 3 did when connected to LIVE? If not, that would be the only reason to wait for Steam to match for me. Since I'm a lazy bastard when it comes to patching games.

As far as the Apple-ish cult following. When I first installed Steam quite a while ago, I didn't realize at first what exactly it was, and uninstalled it after beating the game, as I hated resident memory background programs.

But after I got back into consoles and that almost instant play feeling, I became comfortable with GFWL and Steam, etc that had clients to auto patch from title screen or even better in Steam's case, auto update in the background before you even think about playing the game.

I do buy games from where ever though for download, cheap ass takes precedence if its a reputable site. But around the holidays, you definitely got to wait to find out what Steam's sales are if the other sites time restrictions allow you. Steam has EARNED their following with their marketing and deals / deal matching.

[quote name='smoger']i dont even think you can use MS points on GoD games on the 360 either..[/QUOTE]
Yes, you can actually.

[quote name='loomis1975']I do buy games from where ever though for download, cheap ass takes precedence if its a reputable site. But around the holidays, you definitely got to wait to find out what Steam's sales are if the other sites time restrictions allow you. Steam has EARNED their following with their marketing and deals / deal matching.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I buy primarily from steam on downloadable games. If I had the exact same price between D2D, Impulse, and Steam I'd always buy Steam. But since this is a GFWL game and requires GFWL anyway, I'll be fine buying it there. If I want it in my Steam list, I can add it. It just won't be in the same install folder.

I guess personally I just don't understand not buying it if it's anywhere other than Steam. I do see the convenience, but not enough for me to not ever look elsewhere.

Question: MS has a history of abondoning fialed products (xbox 1, no games for years, now no LIVE anymore). So in 2-3 years when Games for windows Live fails (err, I'm firmly in this camp that this will fail) will there be ways to play this? get it in some form i can keep?

I know, STEAM has the same possible problems, but as a succesfull system (at least right now) i dont think its going away for several years.

GFWL could be dead as a duck in 1-2 years (opinion only, but its on life support right now as we speak), and then what?

[quote name='clok1966']Question: MS has a history of abondoning fialed products (xbox 1, no games for years, now no LIVE anymore). So in 2-3 years when Games for windows Live fails (err, I'm firmly in this camp that this will fail) will there be ways to play this? get it in some form i can keep?

I know, STEAM has the same possible problems, but as a succesfull system (at least right now) i dont think its going away for several years.

GFWL could be dead as a duck in 1-2 years (opinion only, but its on life support right now as we speak), and then what?[/QUOTE]

If you buy this game from Steam, it still requires GFWL. Just like Fallout 3, etc.

Have there been bumps in the road in GFWL titles? Yes, definitely. I'll point to the Gears of War DRM problem that had to do with a date bug. They patched it very quickly from what I remember (although you have to manually download the patch based on what was wrong).

But again, this is $12.50. How much are you really risking? Two fast food meals, or maybe a movie ticket + snack vs getting to play a great game right now :)

WTF... There's a giant ad showing the game for 75% in Games For Windows, but when you click on it, it still shows up as $49.99. Get your act together!

Okay, it's showing up at the correct price now, but errors when I try to purchase it. Maybe because of the 3pm ET thing. Sheesh!

[quote name='heavy liquid']Okay, it's showing up at the correct price now, but errors when I try to purchase it. Maybe because of the 3pm ET thing. Sheesh![/QUOTE]

You can tell they haven't done this much.

[quote name='MannishBoy']You can tell they haven't done this much.[/QUOTE]
Give em time. Microsoft is new to the software game I hear.

I've already beaten it on the 360, but I can't pass up owning it for $12... the game ran okay on my laptop last time I tried the demo on Steam, here's hoping I don't waste my money here.

[quote name='NutManIV']The price will not be live until 3 PM EST.[/QUOTE]
Um. It's live now.

[quote name='KLind']Um. It's live now.[/QUOTE]

I see the ad for 75% off when I sign into GFWL, but clicking it brings me to Bioshock 2, so it seems to still be a work in progress.

[quote name='gsrce']I see the ad for 75% off when I sign into GFWL, but clicking it brings me to Bioshock 2, so it seems to still be a work in progress.[/QUOTE]
Weird it was just working for me. I hate that you can't pay with points AND credit card. I'm 60 points short :\

Any promo's giving out 160 point codes?

[quote name='KLind']Give em time. Microsoft is new to the software game I hear.[/QUOTE]

To be fair, they don't sell a ton of PC software directly to consumers. And definitely don't do a lot of PC game sales.

And I just bought it, although if you go in through the GFWL client, the main screen still says $49.99, if you click to buy, the cart shows it for $12.49 (or 1000 MS points). I used discounted points that I'd been hording.

[quote name='loomis1975']Do all GFWL titles do auto patch updates like Fallout 3 did when connected to LIVE? If not, that would be the only reason to wait for Steam to match for me. Since I'm a lazy bastard when it comes to patching games.[/QUOTE]
What he said.

On patches, if I'm not mistaken Fallout 3 I think told me when I started the games when there was a patch. I don't think it happens in the background, because the GFWL client doesn't stay resident all the time like Steam wants to do.

I bought Batman yesterday on GamersGate. I wish I waited until today - could have saved $7.50 and wouldn't have had the 16 hour download. GamersGate is the slowest download spped ever.

[quote name='MannishBoy']On patches, if I'm not mistaken Fallout 3 I think told me when I started the games when there was a patch. I don't think it happens in the background, because the GFWL client doesn't stay resident all the time like Steam wants to do.[/QUOTE]

Yea, it was built into Fallout 3. GFWL didn't seem to be driving the patches at all. The one thing I will correct, is that GFWL did in fact stay resident while playing Fallout 3. You were able to hit the HOME key at any time to pull it up in game, send a message to friends, etc.

One question I have though: Is Batman through GFWL like Fallout 3 where you actually get achievements linked to your Live account? This would be a bonus.

bread's done
Back