GFW Live Weekend deal: Batman AA 75% off

NutManIV

CAGiversary!
Details here...

So it should end up being $12.50. Much better than the GamersGate deal.

EDIT: Major Nelson has confirmed that this deal will be available in ALL regions that have Games on Demand support.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='WormFOODx']Yea, it was built into Fallout 3. GFWL didn't seem to be driving the patches at all. The one thing I will correct, is that GFWL did in fact stay resident while playing Fallout 3. You were able to hit the HOME key at any time to pull it up in game, send a message to friends, etc.[/quote]

I meant resident and updating things when you were NOT in the game itself. Steam by default stays resident whenever Windows is running, periodically looking for Steam client and game updates.

One question I have though: Is Batman through GFWL like Fallout 3 where you actually get achievements linked to your Live account? This would be a bonus.

Yes. So you can double dip with 360 Batman achievements. Any game labeled "Games for Windows Live" has this type of support. Straight "Games for Windows" games (no Live) don't. (Crysis, etc)

[quote name='WormFOODx']One question I have though: Is Batman through GFWL like Fallout 3 where you actually get achievements linked to your Live account? This would be a bonus.[/QUOTE]

Yes it does. I'll be playing through to see if my video card makes it look any better and to get some more achievements.

Can anyone tell me how GFWL Games on Demand works? I see the client which gives access to the marketplace, but I don't see anything that resembles a "My Games Library". Does it not have one like Steam? How do you access your games after you buy them?

[quote name='Viper45']Can anyone tell me how GFWL Games on Demand works? I see the client which gives access to the marketplace, but I don't see anything that resembles a "My Games Library". Does it not have one like Steam? How do you access your games after you buy them?[/QUOTE]

Start-Programs-Games. Not like Steam.

While I already have Batman: AA on Steam (got it for $17 not long after it was released), this is a great deal. I can't wait to see what the next games will be because I have 3600 MS points on my account that haven't been touched since I got rid of my 360 two years ago.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Examples of these "nightmares?" I find a lot of people seriously have issues working with computers when it comes to anything beyond e-mail, browsing, and productivity, so I take a lot of complaints with a grain of salt. Ever read "reviews" on Newegg? Yeah...[/QUOTE]
I'll take a few complaints as PICCs (problem in chair complaints), but if you look through the forums it's just riddled w/ crashes, and issues from different users. 3/7 stickies are software problems, and the pattern continues for pretty much the entire forum. IMO that's enough for me to pass on this deal.

[quote name='saturnotaku']While I already have Batman: AA on Steam (got it for $17 not long after it was released), this is a great deal. I can't wait to see what the next games will be because I have 3600 MS points on my account that haven't been touched since I got rid of my 360 two years ago.[/QUOTE]

Heh, GFWL doesn't have a ton of games to chose from, so I bet we can guess what the March deals will be.

GTA4, RE5, Red Faction Guerilla, maybe Dirt 2...

Maybe a lesser discount on Bioshock 2 at the end?

[quote name='jrhawk42']I'll take a few complaints as PICCs (problem in chair complaints), but if you look through the forums it's just riddled w/ crashes, and issues from different users. 3/7 stickies are software problems, and the pattern continues for pretty much the entire forum. IMO that's enough for me to pass on this deal.[/QUOTE]

Batman AA is a special case, a lot of the issues you'll read about on forums are the copy protection kicking when it detects a pirated copy. The protection doesn't stop you from playing, but it will make it impossible to progress in the game.

[quote name='Lord Jezo']Can I redownload a game in the future with GFW[/quote]

Yes.

or install on multiple machines like I can with Steam?

It's SecureROM. Think GFWL's setup allows for 5 installs a month and can have an install deactivated using a tool. Think AA on Steam requires the same from what I've read.

went ahead and bought it. Using MS points = no tax, plus free "night" DLC just made me go okay =) and the confirmation of being able to re-d/l etc. I'll just add it to my steam list and it'll be exactly the same =) just no hours.

k it's going now..

Mine is d/l two insane night map packs, descriptions are the same but one is 267MB other is 116MB... ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='KLind']It's been "Calculating Download Size" for an hour now. Is that normal?[/QUOTE]

Mine's up to 30%, although it's slowed down a lot since it started. Think they may be getting hammered.

[quote name='MannishBoy']Start-Programs-Games. Not like Steam.[/QUOTE]

So apart from the actual purchase and download, it's no different from installing the boxed version? Is there a way to back up a hard copy of the game on your own (like you can do with Steam) as well as save your product key (if there is one)?

Sorry for all the questions, I'd really like to get in on this deal but I want to know what I'm getting into first.

I agree with Viper45. This is a good question. Also glad I waited until this date to purchase a game that is finally at a reasonable price.

[quote name='Viper45']Is there a way to back up a hard copy of the game on your own (like you can do with Steam)[/quote]

Don't know. And it's not mentioned on Wikipedia.

as well as save your product key (if there is one)?

You can see your key in the download window. There is a Game activation key (which I don't see one in this case yet on my download) and a Live Activation key (which I can see already).

You could also launch the game from the client download window I just saw (I had downloaded Tinker for free). But that's not very easy to do, so I still say you'd launch from Start 99% of the time.

The demo ran pretty well at mid-high from Steam, so I went ahead and bought it... just going pretty slow, but like others said, servers are probably getting raped.

[quote name='Viper45']So apart from the actual purchase and download, it's no different from installing the boxed version? Is there a way to back up a hard copy of the game on your own (like you can do with Steam) as well as save your product key (if there is one)?

Sorry for all the questions, I'd really like to get in on this deal but I want to know what I'm getting into first.[/QUOTE]

Can't say for sure, but seeing as how the game downloads into a folder first as a file, and then after it finishes it will let you "install" so I think if you copy that file - that's like backing it up. And stick it back in there and maybe GFWL will see it and let you just install? Dunno though haha

[quote name='MannishBoy']I meant resident and updating things when you were NOT in the game itself. Steam by default stays resident whenever Windows is running, periodically looking for Steam client and game updates.

Yes. So you can double dip with 360 Batman achievements. Any game labeled "Games for Windows Live" has this type of support. Straight "Games for Windows" games (no Live) don't. (Crysis, etc)[/QUOTE]

So to get this right, is this like Red Faction Guerilla where i can get 1000 points on 360 and 1000 on pc? In other words can i potentially end up with 2000/1000 gamerscore for this game in my profyle? Is so i'll bite. Thanks for any insight, google was no help.

[quote name='meta460085']So to get this right, is this like Red Faction Guerilla where i can get 1000 points on 360 and 1000 on pc? In other words can i potentially end up with 2000/1000 gamerscore for this game in my profyle? Is so i'll bite. Thanks for any insight, google was no help.[/QUOTE]

Yes. They actually show up as different titles. Something like Fallout 3 will show up as "Fallout 3 (PC)" or similar. I think I've played titles that have both PC and Xbox versions. Gears of War and Fallout 3. Gamertag is TheMannishBoy if you want to look.

For those who want it with Steam, you can always add the shortcut. Fallout 3 ran fine with the Xbox live interface and the Steam one at the same time. I imagine this game will be the same.

When I had to redownload my Fallout 3 DLC it took an excruciating long time. The GFWL client is very wonky and it makes it difficult to tell if you need to cancel a DL or restart it or if that even works. Regardless, those DLC weren't on sale and the DL time was very slow. I did some google searching and GFWL forums mods would say it might be to do with your router but I just think the DL times suck in general.

If I don't find the game on Target clearance decent price I'll pick it up over GFWL ugh.

[quote name='MannishBoy']Yes. They actually show up as different titles. Something like Fallout 3 will show up as "Fallout 3 (PC)" or similar. I think I've played titles that have both PC and Xbox versions. Gears of War and Fallout 3. Gamertag is TheMannishBoy if you want to look.[/QUOTE]

Thnx dude, at work now but will check out your profile when I get home!

wealp, i've been sitting on the fence all day and while i was going back and forth...i accidentally clicked on "confirm purchase"

guess i was meant to pick this one up today after all...

this is an awesome price. Glad to see Microsoft running these sales.

I already beat it on 360 but ordered it anyways. Wish they had some more dlc for the pc version.

[quote name='smoger']i dont even think you can use MS points on GoD games on the 360 either..[/QUOTE]
press Y when on the buy it part of the game markey place. it will switch to MS points.

[quote name='meta460085']So to get this right, is this like Red Faction Guerilla where i can get 1000 points on 360 and 1000 on pc? In other words can i potentially end up with 2000/1000 gamerscore for this game in my profyle? Is so i'll bite. Thanks for any insight, google was no help.[/QUOTE]

Yes, they count as separate games. You can get 2000 gamerscore if you have both. But they show up on your gamercard as separate games.

If you get the Japanese one too, you can get 3000! :)

[quote name='yamayama']Yes, they count as separate games. You can get 2000 gamerscore if you have both. But they show up on your gamercard as separate games.

If you get the Japanese one too, you can get 3000! :)[/QUOTE]

Now you're just being ridiculous

I'm serious. You obviously need a JP or Asian console to play the JP version though.

You can check x360a for proof of stackable achievements lol...

Anyways, I shall be purchasing this soon. :)

Wow, I was 40% done and the download just failed. Now I'm back at 0% and I have to start all over again. What a horrible service.

Wow, this runs and looks great ... even having played the PS3 version, the graphics are just so much sharper and crisper on the PC. Totally worth picking up at this price, even if you already have it on a console.

[quote name='etcrane']Wow, this runs and looks great ... even having played the PS3 version, the graphics are just so much sharper and crisper on the PC. Totally worth picking up at this price, even if you already have it on a console.[/QUOTE]

Does it play well with mouse and keyboard?

[quote name='etcrane']Wow, this runs and looks great ... even having played the PS3 version, the graphics are just so much sharper and crisper on the PC. Totally worth picking up at this price, even if you already have it on a console.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I've got a modest system (Q6600, Win 7 64, GTX260) and it runs great at 1900x1200 with everything turned up to max (including PhysX) except AA.

Smoke and cobwebs look nice that I suppose are the PhysX stuff because I don't remember them on Xbox.

[quote name='Actionhank']Does it play well with mouse and keyboard?[/QUOTE]

Seems to, but I went back to 360 controller since I was used to that from playing through on Xbox.

[quote name='Actionhank']Does it play well with mouse and keyboard?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I plugged in my 360 controller, actually didn't try it with the keyboard. It just felt more natural with this type of game I guess? I'm sure the keyboard commands work well though, but in case anyone is looking for a wired 360 controller, Target has been clearancing them out the past few weeks and any wired 360 pad will work with your PC once you download the drivers from MS.

It does play well in the sense that it's not just another sloppy Xbox to PC port. You know the kind - where all the onscreen control prompts ignore the fact that you're possibly not using an Xbox 360 controller? I played the demo with mouse/keyboard, it seemed fine to me.

This is a great PC game that plays well with the keyboard and mouse. It looks beautiful running with 8xAA at 60 frames per second. I never played with a controller but found the mouse to work super well for camera control and combat. One of my favorites of 09. Hope next week's deal is just as good.

I have noticed a few folks asking whether you can make a physical backup. I found a very easy work around that allows you do this. First download the game, making sure you know where you are saving it. Make sure you do not install the game using the GFWL client. Go into the download folder containing the game. It will be split in a number of parts. Use winrar to extract the original install folder. Find the install exe in the binaries folder. Grab the key from the GFWL client. Use the install exe. Use your key to make the DRM happy. Then however you wish, backup the install folder. Done.

[quote name='MannishBoy']Yes.

It's SecureROM. Think GFWL's setup allows for 5 installs a month and can have an install deactivated using a tool. Think AA on Steam requires the same from what I've read.[/QUOTE]

GFWL non ssa keys are max 15 total forever with no revoke. You can call an beg ms to give you a new key and they will only do it 1 time then tell you to repurchase the game again

[quote name='z3razerviper']GFWL non ssa keys are max 15 total forever with no revoke. You can call an beg ms to give you a new key and they will only do it 1 time then tell you to repurchase the game again[/QUOTE]

Here's the quote from their forum by the GFWL Mod:

Mahjong WisdomThere have been a lot of questions about how we will be handling DRM on our new Games on Demand service, so I am going to try to help clarify things a bit:

SecuROM – Some of our titles (see below) will be using this DRM feature which allows for Five activations a month on any hardware. The key is tied to your account, so as long as you are logging in on your account you can install this program up to 5 times in a month (not just 5 times total).

Server Side Authentication – A feature introduced in Games for Windows – LIVE 3.0 which publishers can use at their own choice. This feature will tie the LIVE Access Key to your Windows Live ID and the Gamertag associated to it. Games for Windows – LIVE Server Side Authentication only affects your ability to log into the LIVE service, and the LIVE Access Key for such titles can be re-used after several installations.

Standard SecuROM® = 5 activations/month on any hardware.

Fallout 3
Resident Evil 5
Street Fighter IV
Battlestations Pacific
Kane & Lynch
Section 8
Viva Pinata
Juiced 2
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Mahjong Wisdom
Where's Waldo

Server Side Authentication (SSA) Titles:
Section 8
Dirt 2
Tinker
Mahjong Wisdom
Where's Waldo

These lists are incomplete as of now, but I or another member of the LIVE team will be updating this list as more titles are added to our catalog. And we’re working on methods to make it more clear what the activation limits are.

Thanks for your patience!

Like I said in my post above. 5 activations per month for this title on any hardware. They use two types of DRM.

[quote name='jacklhill']I have noticed a few folks asking whether you can make a physical backup. I found a very easy work around that allows you do this. First download the game, making sure you know where you are saving it. Make sure you do not install the game using the GFWL client. Go into the download folder containing the game. It will be split in a number of parts. Use winrar to extract the original install folder. Find the install exe in the binaries folder. Grab the key from the GFWL client. Use the install exe. Use your key to make the DRM happy. Then however you wish, backup the install folder. Done.[/QUOTE]

Thanks a ton man, it's looking like buying this game from Games on Demand is almost no different from buying the retail version. I'm definitely gonna get in on this deal now.

[quote name='z3razerviper']GFWL non ssa keys are max 15 total forever with no revoke. You can call an beg ms to give you a new key and they will only do it 1 time then tell you to repurchase the game again[/QUOTE]

[Edit: Looks like MannishBoy beat me to it!] How do you know that? This post from one of the GFWL team members doesn't mention anything about that. That'd be a pretty horrible thing to "forget" to mention in their DRM policy, eh?

[quote name='Viper45']Thanks a ton man, it's looking like buying this game from Games on Demand is almost no different from buying the retail version.

[Edit: Looks like MannishBoy beat me to it!] How do you know that? This post from one of the GFWL team members doesn't mention anything about that. That'd be a pretty horrible thing to "forget" to mention in their DRM policy, eh?[/QUOTE]

I have esclated to their upper management about 3 times times about the issue and they have confirmed it. You can also find info on it in the GFWL forums

bread's done
Back