GFW Live Weekend deal: Batman AA 75% off

NutManIV

CAGiversary!
Details here...

So it should end up being $12.50. Much better than the GamersGate deal.

EDIT: Major Nelson has confirmed that this deal will be available in ALL regions that have Games on Demand support.

Last edited by a moderator:
The good news is, a key from any Games for Windows Live works. If you see a Games for Windows Live title on clearence for $5, buy them all up. Never hurts to have spare keys. I've got about 5 keys that have never been used. Used one from Resident Evil 5 on my Flatout Ultimate Carnage through Steam because I was initially unaware of the 15 rule and kept installing/uninstalling for space. I was told by a tech support guy about that when I ran into the 15 activation. He said the key is more of a token for online then it is to install the game, that is why they are seen as universal.

[quote name='z3razerviper']I have esclated to their upper management about 3 times times about the issue and they have confirmed it. You can also find info on it in the GFWL forums[/QUOTE]

So you're saying that their staff is lying on their forums?

[quote name='Viper45']So you're saying that their staff is lying on their forums?[/QUOTE]

If you dig around over there, there is some talk about a 15 key limit before a phone reset in posts about Bioshock 2.

*shug*

That's clearly not what the mod posted, but I'm not too upset for what I paid. Unfortunately seems to be the way of the PC gamer these days.

[quote name='Viper45']So you're saying that their staff is lying on their forums?[/QUOTE]

No i am saying they try to confuse the subject. If you bring it up in the forums they start talking about secruom activations that also exist on many GFWL games not GFWL activations. Google

"Can't sign in because you've exceeded the usage allowed by your product key. Please enter another product key"

and read up on the
fun GFWL truly brings to us PC gamers :roll:

So what I'm getting from this is there are two layers of DRM: a 5 activation limit per month Securom limit, and an overall 15 activation limit total from GFWL.

I didn't think DRM could get any worse. Thanks, Microsoft :wall: and thanks for the information guys. Definitely not so gung-ho about buying this now.

[quote name='Actionhank']Now I am back on the fence with Batman. Probably should just get the disc-copy[/QUOTE]

If I'm understanding this right, the 15 activation limit is for GFWL titles, not just Games on Demand titles. Meaning the disc version will have the exact same limit. It just might have different SecuRom limitations.

Seriously. Is this a joke? I mean... what the hell? I wonder if the Steam version has an additional activation limit. It'd be like a triple layer chocalate cake, except the brown stuff definitely is not chocolate.

Download got stuck at 100% for a while. Nothing changed when I restarted the computer. So now I have to download it all over again.

Bravo MS. Bravo.

[quote name='Viper45']So what I'm getting from this is there are two layers of DRM: a 5 activation limit per month Securom limit, and an overall 15 activation limit total from GFWL.

I didn't think DRM could get any worse. Thanks, Microsoft :wall: and thanks for the information guys. Definitely not so gung-ho about buying this now.

If I'm understanding this right, the 15 activation limit is for GFWL titles, not just Games on Demand titles. Meaning the disc version will have the exact same limit. It just might have different SecuRom limitations.

Seriously. Is this a joke? I mean... what the hell? I wonder if the Steam version has an additional activation limit. It'd be like a triple layer chocalate cake, except the brown stuff definitely is not chocolate.[/QUOTE]
I am pretty sure the steam version does have the same activation limit. I could be wrong though. I am thinking this because I have had to enter gfwl keys on some steam titles when I would first play them.

Steam titles that have GFWL do have the same restriction. Honestly I don't think 15 is all that bad of a number. I do think it is stupid to be there in the first place, but the only reason I even hit the 15 was because I had it on my desktop and laptop and kept uninstalling/reinstalling it and logging into the game and not ever really playing it. If I needed spare space Flatout was the first to go. I finally quit the practice of launching every game and access the GFWL component right after install. Helps me conserve activations.

[quote name='Viper45']

Seriously. Is this a joke? I mean... what the hell? I wonder if the Steam version has an additional activation limit. It'd be like a triple layer chocalate cake, except the brown stuff definitely is not chocolate.[/QUOTE]

Good point, used on the PS3 then for me (same as AC2). Although I will probably be busy with Napoleon Total War for some time and Bad Company 2.

You should see the steam page for Bioshock 2. 3 forms of DRM:

GFWL + Securom + Steam Client itself. Excellent

I agree it shouldn't be there in the first place. But I seriously doubt it'll ever be a problem for me, especially if the keys are universal like others are suggesting. I have 5 GFWL games. which would give me 75 installs across the 5 games, and that's before the 1 time reset for each key bringing the grand total to 150 installs for 5 games. I really don't think I'll ever use that up. And for your disc based GFWL games, that activation would only apply for Live access. so if you havae disc based GFWL single player game and don't care about achievements then just save the activation code for the online or digital download games. Yea, limits suck, but the limit is so ridiculously generous that it'll never be an issue.

Now off the DRM issue. What do you think the other games on sale for the month will be. I'd say Resident Evil 5 is almost a given.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know it works that way on the Steam and Disc based version. I don't have a game through the GFWL client, so I'm unsure as to if it's automatic.

[quote name='Lord Jezo']So I got this new GFWL client, there is no way to see your friends list or message them?[/QUOTE]

Not from the client only. You can do it in any game. Press alt+Home to bring it up.

[quote name='Grimm Fandango']Not from the client only. You can do it in any game. Press alt+Home to bring it up.[/QUOTE]

Wow.

Microsoft is really dropping the ball on that one.

Yea, they really need to improve the interface if they want GFWL to be more popular. You can't even enter party chat, that alone makes me pick up the 360 version when I can.

[quote name='Lord Jezo']Wow.

Microsoft is really dropping the ball on that one.[/QUOTE]

Yeah it does suck. I'd just enter a free game like Tinker and just sit on the main menu to do whatever.

[quote name='chris100185']Yea, they really need to improve the interface if they want GFWL to be more popular. You can't even enter party chat, that alone makes me pick up the 360 version when I can.[/QUOTE]

That is annoying. I want to play PC games sometimes and chat with my friends on 360, but can't do it with parties. Why is that so hard to add if the can do the direct chat?

And GFWL should work even when you aren't in a GFWL game if you want to chat with people on Xbox Live.

Got in on this. Just adding to the warnings about the speed - download was really slow taking several hours, and now after downloading the automated installer is running quite slowly too.

I went ahead and bought it late last night. It downloaded as fast as I could have wanted, it only took about an hour and a half. It was in the middle of the night though, so the traffic may have been low.

I think the automatic installer takes so long because it first extracts the installer from a series of *.cab files, and then executes the installer. Takes twice as long as a normal install would.

So wait, if you can use any key, does that mean I can buy Batman for 12.50 and then download Bioshock 2 and use the key from Batman to authenticate it?

If so, :hot:

I didn't have a single problem downloading or installing. Game runs and looks amazing on my computer, all settings to the highest and a constant 35 FPS or more. Benchmark shows I'm capable of reaching 151FPS on 1680 x 1050 as well, which is quite good.

The only thing I dislike, and it has nothing to do with A.A., but as someone else pointed out, there are no parties on GFWL. Which, really makes me not want to use it. I have to have my 360 on, and have GFWL disconnected from Live just so I can talk and play at the same time. It's quite annoying.

I also don't see why you can't be on PC and 360 at the same time. But oh well, hopefully they improve the service.

[quote name='xilly']So wait, if you can use any key, does that mean I can buy Batman for 12.50 and then download Bioshock 2 and use the key from Batman to authenticate it?

If so, :hot:[/QUOTE]
If I'm reading that the way you are meaning it, that would be piracy and wrong.

[quote name='jp0213']If I'm reading that the way you are meaning it, that would be piracy and wrong.[/QUOTE]

Which is why I'm asking, because holy cow is that a fumble on their part if that works.

[quote name='jacklhill']I have noticed a few folks asking whether you can make a physical backup. I found a very easy work around that allows you do this. First download the game, making sure you know where you are saving it. Make sure you do not install the game using the GFWL client. Go into the download folder containing the game. It will be split in a number of parts. Use winrar to extract the original install folder. Find the install exe in the binaries folder. Grab the key from the GFWL client. Use the install exe. Use your key to make the DRM happy. Then however you wish, backup the install folder. Done.[/QUOTE]

Worked like a charm thanks for the tip. :)

Game runs smooth as silk and looks awesome on my pc. :applause:

[quote name='MannishBoy']Yes. They actually show up as different titles. Something like Fallout 3 will show up as "Fallout 3 (PC)" or similar. I think I've played titles that have both PC and Xbox versions. Gears of War and Fallout 3. Gamertag is TheMannishBoy if you want to look.[/QUOTE]

People wondering about the achievements, these just show up as another title with the exact same name as the 360 version. So I've got two "Batman: Arkham Asylum" achievement games listed. One if you click into it then click the name at the top of the achievement list page hyperlinks to the Xbox 360 page for the game, the PC one doesn't hyperlink from the name at all.

So it doesn't have the "(PC)" denotation like Fallout 3 does.

I need some advice, does anyone think the pc version at target will drop to around $12 tomorrow? I would prefer to have the disc version, b/c if gfwl becomes defunct I won't be able to play it anymore.

If it's $24 right now, then yes there is a chance it will drop. Mine still had it at $34 so since this deal is only good till Monday I bit. Goodluck to you if you try to wait but I did not want to risk it and not end up with the game at all.

[quote name='dallascowboys']I need some advice, does anyone think the pc version at target will drop to around $12 tomorrow? I would prefer to have the disc version, b/c if gfwl becomes defunct I won't be able to play it anymore.[/QUOTE]

We've discovered that when you buy the Games on Demand version, you can make a back-up of the game's install files and copy down your activation code. By doing that, you can install the game completely separate from the GFWL Marketplace client, meaning it's basically the disc version without the disc. I've already done it, so if GFWL's content servers go down, it won't affect me at all. Both versions use the in-game GFWL overlay, but that's different.

Refer to this post for more information: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6892375&postcount=145

Since it was CAB files, yeah - I figured you could install those files w/out G4WL, as long as you back them up.

Sweet.

If I realized after you do the install that G4WL was going to murder the CAB files, I would've done the back-up disc(s) for the CAB files first myself! :eek:P Little late now, as I found out the hard way on Saturday morning - but that's okay. Maybe next time.

Awesome game so far, BTW.

As a side note, I just realized something quite awesome about Microsoft Points. Stacked deals.

i.e. The points I used to buy this came from a 1600 points card that I paid $12.50 for. So instead of the $12.50 this game was supposed to cost, I actually paid around $7-8.

You all probably already knew about that :p

A side note related to this topic:
Hoping to use my wireless Xbox 360 controller for the game on my PC, plugging in a Play-and-Charge cable. Is this possible? I've heard it involves some poking and prodding of the device driver to get it to work.
Regardless, I'm thinking of getting the wired controller with the Xbox accessories sale going on over on Amazon.

[quote name='namepl']A side note related to this topic:
Hoping to use my wireless Xbox 360 controller for the game on my PC, plugging in a Play-and-Charge cable. Is this possible? I've heard it involves some poking and prodding of the device driver to get it to work.
Regardless, I'm thinking of getting the wired controller with the Xbox accessories sale going on over on Amazon.[/QUOTE]

No you need the wireless pc adapter I think ms discontinued it however.

bread's done
Back