GGT 204 will trample you on BF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy Turkey and Commerce Day!!

[quote name='Indignate']I brought it home with me and then took a small picture of it. Should I drink it all Hank? Huh? Huh?

1122120032.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Do it. Slam it. You'll thank me later. :cool:

No. You can group for heroics without much extra fuss, but you're limited to a couple flashpoints/warzones/space missions per week. Which is kind of silly, because space missions are lame and poop.

But there is nothing silly about this dialogue wheel. fuck this dialogue wheel.

[quote name='BlueScrote']GF copped dat ass creed as a christmas gift for me today. Also grabbed $15 Forza from the MS Store.[/QUOTE]

Almost forgot about Forza Horizon. Thanks, I grabbed that. It was like one of the few games left in stock right now. :p

Also picked up Dishonored for $25 @ BB (online) last night along with some other stuff as gifts. BB is on point 'cause they shipped that shit out this morning already. :cold:

[quote name='Indignate']You want to fuck it cuz it's so good?[/QUOTE]I don't normally use Human Revolution as a "Hey, guys. Stop. Just... do what they did, okay?" because I'm not really that big on the game, but sweet Jesus, people. If you're going to use a stupid dialogue wheel, just steal the one from Human Revolution. Theirs didn't suck. Everyone else? Yours sucks.

For example, there's a mission early on in Sleepin' Dawgs where you need to intimidate this street racer by smashing up his car with a tire iron. I'm smashing it up, dude shows up, I beat his ass. I then put him in the trunk of his own car and proceed to ram it with my truck until his car caught fire and exploded, with him in the trunk.

I think he got the message.

[quote name='gunm']It's really not as bad as you're making it out to be. :p[/QUOTE]
It's bad. It's taking something that's completely functional and saying, "Hey. You know what would be fun? If this was worse." That, I repeat for emphasis, is bad.

I guess it wouldn't be so big an issue if the writing and the dialogue didn't matter, but given how god damn much of the budget went to this thing, I think it's fair to say that yes, the writing and the dialogue are supposed to matter. Shit, the dialogue is The Big Distinguishing Feature. This is an MMO with the dialogue and the writing of a regular RPG, guys. That and lightsabers were basically the only things I got out of TOR's marketing.

Dialogue wheels are waggle controls applied to writing. Technically functional, and if you don't really give a shit about it, they might not give you problems. They can be applied with varying degrees of competency (I guess Human Revolution would be Skyward Sword in this comparison?), and if executed properly in the right setting, I don't really have a problem. But there is some serious Mario Galaxy manta-riding shit going on here, man.

Point of fairness: dialogue wheels exist to solve an actual problem. People don't like reading a line of dialogue and then hearing it spoken, so instead: paraphrased selections. And people don't like non-voiced dialogue anymore because it's kinda weird having a bunch of realistic-ish character models and a zoomed in camera and everyone's standing around like blocks, having conversations via subtitle. And people don't like having non realistic-ish character models and isometric cameras anymore because.

But in another point of fairness, copying Human Revolution's compromise model is pretty god damn easy compared to implementing good motion control in a game. I've been ragging on The Old Republic, but that's really just the latest incarnation. I could just as easily apply this to Dragon Age 2 or Alpha Protocol (which kinda-sorta has an excuse) or whatever, but I'm not playing those at the moment.

EDIT: And to answer any, "Well Jesus Christ, why are you playing it if all you do is bitch about it?"

1. Been waiting for KotOR 3 for a long god damn time. Not giving up easy.
2. There's some legitimately cool shit. See: earlier post about impromptu PvP.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='hankmecrankme']For example, there's a mission early on in Sleepin' Dawgs where you need to intimidate this street racer by smashing up his car with a tire iron. I'm smashing it up, dude shows up, I beat his ass. I then put him in the trunk of his own car and proceed to ram it with my truck until his car caught fire and exploded, with him in the trunk.

I think he got the message.[/QUOTE]

I heard he called you an asshole.

[quote name='hankmecrankme']For example, there's a mission early on in Sleepin' Dawgs where you need to intimidate this street racer by smashing up his car with a tire iron. I'm smashing it up, dude shows up, I beat his ass. I then put him in the trunk of his own car and proceed to ram it with my truck until his car caught fire and exploded, with him in the trunk.

Anger much?

[quote name='The Crotch']It's bad. [/QUOTE]

Weird, none of this bothered me at all when I was playing and I started prior to the game coming out as well as played through the initial month of launch.

[quote name='gunm']Weird, none of this bothered me at all when I was playing and I started prior to the game coming out as well as played through the initial month of launch.[/QUOTE]
Well, let me try and crystallize this.

You play Twilight Princess? Or Mad World? No More Heroes? Metroid Prime 3, Mario Galaxy, or Super Paper Mario? Though I could certainly make complaints about any of them, I more-or-less liked how those games handled, and I know a lot of y'all did not. Now, had you the option, would you have preferred to use a regular control scheme for those games?

If your answer is yes, then hey, cool, awesome. You don't like it when your interaction with a game is determined by what a couple crude accelerometers think you're trying to do. I don't like it when my interaction with a game is determined by what a couple vague words might mean, and I put a pretty high value on that particular bit of interaction.

I remember that. i killed the driver with the tire iron. then i failed the mission.

[quote name='distgfx']I thought he was holding back.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, at least he wasn't hanging around the Red Light district slamming girls into the interactive bits until the cops came just for shits and giggles.

Er...

Yeah....

[quote name='The Crotch'][/QUOTE]

Anger much?

[quote name='The Crotch']Well, let me try and crystallize this.

You play Twilight Princess? Or Mad World? No More Heroes? Metroid Prime 3, Mario Galaxy, or Super Paper Mario? Though I could certainly make complaints about any of them, I more-or-less liked how those games handled, and I know a lot of y'all did not. Now, had you the option, would you have preferred to use a regular control scheme for those games?

If your answer is yes, then hey, cool, awesome. You don't like it when your interaction with a game is determined by what a couple crude accelerometers think you're trying to do. I don't like it when my interaction with a game is determined by what a couple vague words might mean, and I put a pretty high value on that particular bit of interaction.[/QUOTE]

I'm in the same boat as you and like your waggle analogy. And while it is a bit weird to not have your dialogue voiced, I would take the Dragon Age 1 dialogue style over the Dragon Age 2 style because knowing what I'm saying is more important to me than hearing my character speak out loud.

[quote name='gunm']Ohhh, so if I don't like Dishonored, I can blame Josh?

Sweet.[/QUOTE]

Hell yes, it's his GOTY, so I expect nothing, but will still blame him.

[quote name='distgfx']Hell yes, it's his GOTY, so I expect nothing, but will still blame him.[/QUOTE]

I never said it was my GOTY! I do highly recommend it though and I hope you like it.

[quote name='ihadFG']I'm in the same boat as you and like your waggle analogy. And while it is a bit weird to not have your dialogue voiced, I would take the Dragon Age 1 dialogue style over the Dragon Age 2 style because knowing what I'm saying is more important to me than hearing my character speak out loud.[/QUOTE]
Oh, absolutely. But I go a bit crazier into the realm of "actually, could we just cut 90% of the voice work out of this game?" for RPGs. I prefer it when it's reserved to "punch up" important lines. I just turn subtitles on and skip through 90% of the spoken dialogue, anyway.

"Shepard, wh-"
"You ca-"
"When I w-"
"The only pers-"
"Wrex."
[quote name='gunm']Anger much?[/QUOTE]

You responded normally to my angry bit and made fun of the anger in my calm bit?

[quote name='ihadFG']I never said it was my GOTY! I do highly recommend it though and I hope you like it.[/QUOTE]

Well, you're not the only one who liked it, so it must be kind of decent at least.

[quote name='The Crotch']You responded normally to my angry bit and made fun of the anger in my calm bit?[/QUOTE]

I like the VA in SWTOR. :cry:

[quote name='The Crotch']Oh, absolutely. But I go a bit crazier into the realm of "actually, could we just cut 90% of the voice work out of this game?" for my RPGs. I prefer it when it's reserved to "punch up" important lines.
[/QUOTE]

One one hand, voice acting can really add to a game when it's good, but in reality, most of the time I just read the text and move on before even half the line has been spoken. At least in RPGs.

Even assuming good quality, I prefer minimalist voice acting, along the lines of the infinity engine games. See also: my desperate hope that Project Eternity doesn't suck, because "not much voice acting" was actually listed as a positive in that game's pitch.

Of course, if a game has less dialogue, or if it needs to convey information without slowing things down too much, then that's totally fine. But if it's an RPG with a shitload of dialogue and it wants you to sit around while you listen to it... well, no, I'm just gonna spacebar on through.
[quote name='gunm']I like the VA in SWTOR. :cry:[/QUOTE]
I said nothing bad about the voice acting in The Old Republic, save that developers seem to think that voicing the PC means they should do dialogue wheels. And again while not my ideal, that doesn't have to be something terrible, as Human Revolution showed.

I won't be that guy who buys a game and three weeks later enters a thread and complains about the game being $2 less.

[quote name='GUNNM']FF:T? I get to rage on my 3DS because I can't 4 star one winged angel on expert.[/QUOTE]

Yes. The other one is bad.

[quote name='GUNNM']I won't be that guy who buys a game and three weeks later enters a thread and complains about the game being $2 less.[/QUOTE]

But that's two big macs when the Broncos win.

[quote name='GUNNM']final fantasy theatrythm for $20 is gdlk[/QUOTE]

English, motherfucker. Learn to speak it.

[quote name='gunm']Almost forgot about Forza Horizon. Thanks, I grabbed that. It was like one of the few games left in stock right now. :p

Also picked up Dishonored for $25 @ BB (online) last night along with some other stuff as gifts. BB is on point 'cause they shipped that shit out this morning already. :cold:[/QUOTE]

Any groundbreaking online deals I should hop on?

[quote name='ihadFG']I think this is the post you are referencing:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10045122&postcount=226

And yeah, as a followup, it is one of my favorite games this gen. I have no major complaints with the game. It is a better Deus Ex style game than Human Revolution. And I really liked Human Revolution.[/QUOTE]

Dishonored looked pretty cool, but I'll wait until it's like $15 from GF. :bouncy:

the only good deals I've seen so far are dishonored for $25, Final fantasy theathrythm for $20, batman GOTY $20, DOOM 3 $20 and lollipop chainsaw for $12

[quote name='GUNNM']The way the world is I'm better off learning chinese at this point[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's a good point. ;)
Thanks for the heads up on the deals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back