GGT #59: Love worth dying for? "But heed this, the price you pay may be heavy indeed"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just thinking about hooking my DS or PSP up to the amp last night. That work alright? Doesn't seem like the headphone jack -> Aux input is a great way to go, but it's pretty much the only way I guess.

I can't decide if I should sell off my complete copy of Chrono Trigger from 1996 now.. It's got such sentimental value..

[quote name='daroga']I was just thinking about hooking my DS or PSP up to the amp last night. That work alright? Doesn't seem like the headphone jack -> Aux input is a great way to go, but it's pretty much the only way I guess.[/QUOTE]

what I did (mostly because I had the cables I needed) was use a male to male (so gay!) 3.5mm cable, hook that into a 3.5mm coupler, have a Y-splitter on the other end that has the Red and White stereo inputs, and then I had those stereo cables plugged into the receiver. So it's kinda a messy solution, but when I was playing Crisis Core, at least, it made a ridiculously huge difference. Do it.

[quote name='jer7583']I can't decide if I should sell off my complete copy of Chrono Trigger from 1996 now.. It's got such sentimental value..[/QUOTE]

Honestly, I'd wait to see how good the port turns out.

[quote name='Chacrana']I really wish I could get someone to fork over a DS debug unit for me, so I could play DS shit on the TV. I have literally zero interest in playing the game on the go. At least I can hook the thing up to my fancy pants sound setup, though.[/quote]
When I had the debug unit at work I never played on the TV. The whole dual screen thing didn't turn out so well. I was annoyed enough when we had to videotape some bugs -_-;

Screw these fancy pants sound setups.
Hifi headphones FTW!

[quote name='kainzero']When I had the debug unit at work I never played on the TV. The whole dual screen thing didn't turn out so well. I was annoyed enough when we had to videotape some bugs -_-;

Screw these fancy pants sound setups.
Hifi headphones FTW![/QUOTE]

I've gotta get nicer headphones at some point. My Sennheiser EH350's are like... okay, but they're not mind-blowingly awesome.

But still, getting good bass outta a PSP or DS game is kewl.

I have these extremely stupid looking headphones that came with an MP3 player and yet, even though they look stupid they fit perfectly into my ears.

I'd always wanted to play Chrono Trigger as I never got around to it back in the day....

But at the same time I LOVED Final Fantasy 3 on SNES, but couldn't get into the GBA port at all. Just didn't age well for me. Too many random battles etc. So I'm worried CT would just be another game I'd play for 5 or 6 hours, never touch again and just end up on Goozex.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I'd always wanted to play Chrono Trigger as I never got around to it back in the day....

But at the same time I LOVED Final Fantasy 3 on SNES, but couldn't get into the GBA port at all. Just didn't age well for me. Too many random battles etc. So I'm worried CT would just be another game I'd play for 5 or 6 hours, never touch again and just end up on Goozex.[/QUOTE]

Not even close. Chrono Trigger eschews a lotta the stuff people don't like about RPGs, including random encounters.

nyprimus4: Nice pickups! ^_^

jer: I was thinking the same thing, but I always come to the same conclusion, I never get rid of any of my old games ;(

I really should sell two of them at least. I have 3 of them in mint/complete condition :x It is one of my favorite games of all time!

JEKKI: Content on HK and JPN PSN is similar, but not the same. I'd just do some brave adventuring and mash buttons out and hope for the best! lol.

Daroga: I can't stop looking at your awesome looking signature... RR you did a great job with it...

----

I want to know. Based on people who have played through both... What do you think?

Final Fantasy VII or Chrono Trigger? Which one was the better experience. Initial playthroughs.

My vote goes to Chrono Trigger.

By the way, friends lists are awesome... sorta. It's like facebook with people i don't know!

Actually I don't even have a facebook :(

Thinking about playing Metroid Prime 1 later today.

[quote name='MarkMan']Final Fantasy VII or Chrono Trigger? Which one was the better experience. Initial playthroughs..[/QUOTE]
For me, that's almost akin to asking a parent which kid of theirs do they like best DDD:

[quote name='Chacrana']Not even close. Chrono Trigger eschews a lotta the stuff people don't like about RPGs, including random encounters.[/QUOTE]

May have to check it out then.

Random encounters killed FFVI advance for me. Couldn't explore at all as it was just a battle every few steps.

If CT doesn't have that (and doesn't require level grinding which is my other major pet peeve) I may check it out.

Naw, the game's pretty easy, so there's no level grinding, and you can definitely explore without fighting every 5 seconds. There's a reason it's so highly regarded.

[quote name='MarkMan']

Final Fantasy VII or Chrono Trigger? Which one was the better experience. Initial playthroughs.

My vote goes to Chrono Trigger.[/QUOTE]
My vote goes to Chrono Trigger as well. It's no contest really.

Aw, I'm the only guy in the GGT who didn't care for FFVII. It wasn't bad by any means, but I just couldn't get into it. I ended up just watching my friends play it. /hides

But yeah, I take CT over FFVII. :p

MM: Didn't RR do an awesome job? I love it. It's almost like Sonic, Mega Man, and Mario all became part of the Electroplankton-styled world. It's weird and great.

Speaking of good sound, playing MM3 last night on the PS3, I was amazed by how much bass was in some of that synth music. I mean, it's not explosion, rock the pictures off the wall stuff, but even the non-remixed stuff has a good vibe going for it.

I'm back and forth on picking up the MMX collection now. I like the original a lot better, but I do like X1 for sure. But, I have the remake on the PSP...

Oh, and Chrono Trigger >>>>> FF7 on initial play through. CT aged a lot better too, since I played CT for the first time just like... 3 years ago?

Man, I love Mega Man X-X5... some of my favorite stuff ever.

And ReRo did do a fantastic job on that sig. I really don't know how it could be better.

Chrono Trigger is the perfect RPG.

~15 hours long with many endings, many sidequests, no random encounters, and..

MITSUDA!

I've owned about 4 copies of the SNES game over time, but always kept my original, complete copy I got from wal-mart for my 13th Birthday or so.

I don't know why people get all hot and bothered about CT's "lack of random battles." In some places, you couldn't avoid them anyway. Like, once you walk past this line, you're in a battle. How is that any better than "once you take 10 steps, you're in a battle, but it looks random"?

Still CT beats FFVII. I played CT long enough that I should've gotten all the endings, but I didn't because I lent it out to assholes who erased my save files.

A good thing about CT being ported again is that a lot of gamers that never played it (especially in Europe) and a lot of gamers who don't remember the game, will get to experience it again.

Chrono Trigger is fucking awesome. I'm surprised at the opinions of people that played both games. I thought FF VII would get more love. But really, CT is where its at... :p

Sorry TMK.

[quote name='pete5883']I don't know why people get all hot and bothered about CT's "lack of random battles." In some places, you couldn't avoid them anyway. Like, once you walk past this line, you're in a battle. How is that any better than "once you take 10 steps, you're in a battle, but it looks random"?
[/QUOTE]

Because only a few parts of the game are like that, and there aren't as many battles to be fought. It also helps that fighting is more fun than in other RPGs... you fight on the map and battles are quick.

Oh and, when did everyone play CT and FF7? I'd like to think playing them and enjoying them based on when you played them can play a role into how much you enjoyed them.

For both of them, I played through them when they first came out. So both of them have the wow/revolutionary factor still instilled within me...

[quote name='Chacrana']I've gotta get nicer headphones at some point. My Sennheiser EH350's are like... okay, but they're not mind-blowingly awesome.[/quote]
I bought Grado SR80's. Yeah I've posted that like a billion times, but I still love them. I'm also not big into audio but ever since I got these I'm hearing things in songs that I didn't even know were in there.

The best way I can describe them is that they're really clear, bright, and detailed. The other high end headphones that I've listened to are my dad's Shure SE210s which had a much more powerful bass than mine, but they weren't as bright as the Grados. Also, the Grados are sometimes uncomfortable and hurt my ear after a while, but sometimes they're not. I don't get it.

Of course, these headphones are optimized for listening to music, not necessarily for watching movies or playing games. It seems like the popular one for playing games is the Senn HD555.

But yeah. It's a strange feeling when I play a DS game and listen to it with the speakers and then I put on the headphones and think "Man, this is what it was supposed to sound like?" It definitely got to me with Advance Wars Dual Strike...

[quote name='Chacrana']Because only a few parts of the game are like that, and there aren't as many battles to be fought. It also helps that fighting is more fun than in other RPGs... you fight on the map and battles are quick.[/quote]

Yes! That is another thing I liked... seamless integration... one thing that I always found odd in FF7 was that the character models were different for overworld and battle and dramatically different in CG. Obviously that's a given based on the game engine and stuff. But I really like consistency and CT had that shit down hard.

[quote name='MarkMan']Oh and, when did everyone play CT and FF7? I'd like to think playing them and enjoying them based on when you played them can play a role into how much you enjoyed them.

For both of them, I played through them when they first came out. So both of them have the wow/revolutionary factor still instilled within me...[/QUOTE]

I played through Chrono Trigger back in 95 or 96, but I couldn't get past Masa and Mune. fuck them! To Hell!

But I finished it in 2001 when I lost my Downs.

Final Fantasy VII... I played that back in 1998, but I couldn't get past Jenova on the ship that went from Junon or whatever it was. And then I couldn't get past the cave in Red XIII's village. fuck all them. To fucking Hell!

But I finished it in 2002.

So I dunno, given the span over which I played those games and that I wasn't bothered by the visuals at any point, I'd say they aged well. CT more than FFVII.

I'm glad people like the new sig and avatar I did for Daroga... I kinda want to update mine now :lol:

eventually I'll be more open to doing requests once I get a few things out of the way. I'm totally down for doing anything really.

also just downloaded SC on XBLA... genna play that for a bit and unlock all achievements pretty quickly. Also got blue dragon today for $8, but I won't really be playing it... it's going to net me $15 so it's um.. yeah a tool. In my CAG blog I'll be posting artwork like I do on my regular blog that I have in my sig.

:p

[quote name='MarkMan']Oh and, when did everyone play CT and FF7? I'd like to think playing them and enjoying them based on when you played them can play a role into how much you enjoyed them.

For both of them, I played through them when they first came out. So both of them have the wow/revolutionary factor still instilled within me...[/quote]

I played FF7 AFTER FF8. I got a TV + PS1 in my room shortly after FF8 came out. That Christmas I spent so many hours playing FF7 and 8. I played Chrono Trigger for the first time on PS1 when Final Fantasy Chronicles came out. I wish I didn't trade it :(

FFVII was my first RPG (summer of 2000); I loved it, and have been hooked on JRPGs ever since. Chrono Trigger I played via emulation some years later, and was blown away.

From a purely objective standpoint, I'd say Chrono Trigger is the better game. For its overall impact on me, FFVII wins hands-down. However, as far as the initial experience goes, it's hard for me to pick one over the other.

Nice! I'm going to download Soul Calibur when I get home from work today... You ever think about putting up some Tekken art RR? ^_^

Chacrana: yea man, Masa Mune are bitches, the first time I died in CT back in the day was cuz of those two idiots... ARGH! I remember it well too cuz I forgot to save before going up that stupid mountain! Silly me...

Mega Man sure is mean in Daroga's sig though. I mean, Mario is just trying to jump up on the ledge, but Mega Man is going to shoot him in the face!

I thought they were friends :whistle2:(

Oh yeah, CT vs. FF7.

I played both on release.
Initial playthrough, I'd have to give it to FF7. As a young impressionable 8th grader I was easily wowed by the graphics, the battle system (with multihits to break the 9999 barrier), summons, and the scenario design (not necessarily the story). Oh and Golden Saucer.

But nowadays I have to give the edge to CT. When I replay CT, the scenario design and the character design are a lot deeper than I could've hoped to understand when I was that young. I'm also really fascinated by time travel and putting that in the game was great... oh, and New Game+. The battle system was quick and simple to understand and I love the endgame because of how they integrate the sidequests. They point you in the direction of where to go to start them and they integrate it with the character's story... it doesn't feel like one giant power up quest. And man, the scenarios are great. Frog's flashback sequence when you get the Masamune is classic.

In the meantime, FF7 has aged poorly. The graphics are just terrible now and I've also come to realize how atrocious the overall story is.

Excellent points kainzero. I forget how old I was but I think I was in the 9th grade when I played FF7 and when CT came out I was 13 or so...

Games were so much more WOW back in the day ;(

[quote name='Chacrana']Man, I love Mega Man X-X5... some of my favorite stuff ever..[/quote]
I loved X-X5 and I thought X6 was ok... but then I just replayed X6 a few weeks ago and wondered what I was thinking.

Also, I downloaded Soul Caliber about an hour ago. There is nothing like replaying SC only the be reminded of how bad you are at 3D fighters... but atleast I'm having some fun.

Dude, I fuckin' know. It's really weird, coz I'm usually more excited for old games than new ones. Chrono Trigger's this years big game now that MGS4 is out, and last year it was Dracula X Chronicles that was more exciting than anything the whole year.

[quote name='MarkMan']Nice! I'm going to download Soul Calibur when I get home from work today... You ever think about putting up some Tekken art RR? ^_^
[/QUOTE]

never even thought about that >_<

maybe... :)

I wanna work on some original art before I do another "fan-art" :lol:

after I do that I'll probably do a tekken piece now that you mention it... and then whatever the hell else.

Now that I think about it, I also got my ass kicked by Masa and Mune. I might still have the SNES strategy guide around here somewhere...

I can't wait until FFCC Ring of Fates is over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back