GGT #83 is DRM Free!

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='MarkMan']Late to reply to this but...

Any reason behind the doubts? The ones pictured are nothing like the ones we have now. The one we are currently making is something that will appeal to the majority of the gamers based on our research/testing.[/QUOTE]

Personally, I think the controllers look kinda on the bulky side. I think ideally, the controller would use an Xbox 360 pad's form factor (maybe slightly larger horizontally), and have a Saturn-style d-pad and 6 larger-than-normal buttons on the face. The key for the buttons apart from the size is that they don't hurt your fingers if you go arcade-style/claw-style on them - I'd like to see buttons that feel like they're slightly loose and react to a slight touch so that the buttons feel really responsive.

I'm buying the stick already - I made up my mind about that. But if this controller is off tha hook, too, I'll buy like 4.

[quote name='MarkMan']Late to reply to this but...

Any reason behind the doubts? The ones pictured are nothing like the ones we have now. The one we are currently making is something that will appeal to the majority of the gamers based on our research/testing.[/quote]

Just to quote what you said:

Too early to say, but when they're done of course I'll give my honest opinion.

I don't wanna steer gamers wrong. But my goal is to make everything the ideal level of quality fit for the SF series.

It's makes them sound like an afterthought. Not to mention, you were boasting about the arcade sticks from day 1 and saying how great they'll be. The pad not getting the same kind of attention is kind of offputting, especially when you don't seem to be as sure of the quality as you were with the arcade stick.

Didn't he say that about this time he would be putting more focus into the pads to make sure they're really good?

Street Fighter

[quote name='hankmecrankme']I'm thinking I'm going to sell a bunch of shit to GS or on CAG to help pay for my SFIV stick. I need to compile a list of all my crap that I don't want.[/quote]

Feel free to pm me. ;)

Force Unleashed is coming soon, and I'm not going to lie, I'm pretty excited for it. The demo was pretty fun.

Also, beat Condemned 2 a few nights ago and WTF were they thinking. The game is all awesome, and then they fuck it up with the "twist" in the story they do at the end. Luckily thats for the last hour of the game, if even that long. Still...WTF?!?

distgfx: ahhh, It was probably my wording.

But be assured that the controller is just as important as the arcade sticks. While we did have priority on the design of the sticks first, now I'm focusing on the controller.

[quote name='MarkMan']distgfx: ahhh, It was probably my wording.

But be assured that the controller is just as important as the arcade sticks. While we did have priority on the design of the sticks first, now I'm focusing on the controller.[/quote]

Ah, alrighty then, good to know. Just one question, the art on the pads themselves aren't system specific, are they? Like, Ryu isn't only for the 360 pad, is it? Just curious.

[quote name='whoknows']Force Unleashed is coming soon, and I'm not going to lie, I'm pretty excited for it. The demo was pretty fun.
[/QUOTE]

:rofl:...ill warn you right now, RENT IT! a certain GGTer can back me up on this

[quote name='refusedchaos']:rofl:...ill warn you right now, RENT IT! a certain GGTer can back me up[/QUOTE]

You say rent it based on what?

Just curious.

[quote name='MarkMan']No, they're not.[/quote]

Oh thank god!

[quote name='refusedchaos']:rofl:...ill warn you right now, RENT IT! a certain GGTer can back me up on this[/quote]

Yes, that same certain GGTer told me the same stuff.

[quote name='whoknows']You say rent it based on what?

Just curious.[/QUOTE]

played it yesterday at meh broski's house...it was exactly what i expected, they took what was in the demo and stretched it into a entire game...same shit over and over and OVER!

[quote name='refusedchaos']played it yesterday at meh broski's house...it was exactly what i expected, they took what was in the demo and stretched it into a entire game...same shit over and over and OVER![/QUOTE]

Doesn't seem that bad.

Besides, it's not an FPS...I seem to give more credit to games that aren't these days.

Most importantly, the game is costing me about $25 so I'm good with getting it.

[quote name='whoknows']Most importantly, the game is costing me about $25 so I'm good with getting it.[/quote]

Oh, then it's ok to buy it.

[quote name='whoknows']Doesn't seem that bad.

Besides, it's not an FPS...I seem to give more credit to games that aren't these days.

Most importantly, the game is costing me about $25 so I'm good with getting it.[/QUOTE]

the ONLY good part about the game is the last part....but im telling ya, rent it...its very repetitive

[quote name='refusedchaos']the ONLY good part about the game is the last part....but im telling ya, rent it...its very repetitive[/QUOTE]

As long as the gameplay is fun I'm fine with that. The combat seemed pretty good from the demo.

[quote name='whoknows']As long as the gameplay is fun I'm fine with that. The combat seemed pretty good from the demo.[/quote]

As long as you're paying only $25, then it's worth it alone
for pulling a star destroyer right out of the sky.

[quote name='distgfx']As long as you're paying only $25, then it's worth it alone
for pulling a star destroyer right out of the sky.
[/QUOTE]

alas! the GGTer is here!

The thing about it is, the combat in the demo was already deeper than a certain other highly overrated action game, and I assume the combat only gets better as you get further in the game...right?

[quote name='whoknows']The thing about it is, the combat in the demo was already deeper than a certain other highly overrated action game, and I assume the combat only gets better as you get further in the game...right?[/quote]

Well, yes, the combat does get better than the demo.

[quote name='distgfx']Well, yes, the combat does get better than the demo.[/QUOTE]

Then I think I'll be happy with the game. Action games are the kind of games I enjoy most, so I think I'll enjoy this one.

Dang it, I think I'm going to order Yakuza 2 from Amazon. Markman & Chac, you are to blame. The rest of the GGT isn't free from guilt either.

Someone mentioned there's a story recap from part 1 in 2?

[quote name='daroga']Dang it, I think I'm going to order Yakuza 2 from Amazon. Markman & Chac, you are to blame. The rest of the GGT isn't free from guilt either.

Someone mentioned there's a story recap from part 1 in 2?[/QUOTE]

Order it.

You won't regret it. It's only $30 and way better than most $60 games these days.

By the way, Deus Ex 1 is still awesome. It's like 8 years old, but doesn't feel archaic outside of the graphics. One of the best games ever - it's trooth. Hopefully Good Old Games gets this game at some point, because more people need to play it. It's better than whatever else they're wasting their money on.

I'd pick it up in a heartbeat over at GOG. I loved Invisible War back when it came out, and apparently it sucked, so this has to be good.

Speaking of picking up, is a complete Powerstone 2 worth 15 bucks or so? There is an auction for it ending in 4 hours at fleabay, and I'm thinking about bidding.

[quote name='DarthPuma']I'd pick it up in a heartbeat over at GOG. I loved Invisible War back when it came out, and apparently it sucked, so this has to be good.

Speaking of picking up, is a complete Powerstone 2 worth 15 bucks or so? There is an auction for it ending in 4 hours at fleabay, and I'm thinking about bidding.[/QUOTE]

On Power Stone 2, yeah, I'd say so. It's a fun game, and the price is right.

Invisible War isn't anything like the original game, though. The original Deus Ex is a lot more RPG than IW was... sorta like Bioshock, though the RPG elements are much more prominent in Deus Ex. The story is also damn good. And so is the soundtrack.

But yeah, when people talk about services like GOG being a great way for people to play the stuff they missed out on - they're talking about games like that.

[quote name='daroga']The rest of the GGT isn't free from guilt either.
[/quote]
Psh, I most certainly am. I've just been sitting here playing Radiant Dawn (51 hours :shock:). Only 1 more chapter + endgame to go!

Picked up my RB2 just now. Hopefully I'll have time to play tonight.

I'm definitely in for the SFIV stick, but if those pads are any good, I'll pick up one of those too. I like the idea of a Saturn-style d-pad and button layout in the 360 controller form-factor. I wouldn't make it any bigger size-wise, though.

[quote name='botticus']Psh, I most certainly am. I've just been sitting here playing Radiant Dawn (51 hours :shock:). Only 1 more chapter + endgame to go![/quote]Verdict? GUILTY!

I just fired up Persona 3 FES the other day to start a New game+. And I noticed I put 91 hours into that game... I can't even think of the last game I put that much time into.

Chac, why did you say you don't like Giants? I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Graphics have help up incredibly well, and the gameplay is fun. Reminds me of Ratchet and Clank with a keyboard and mouse.

Bid 10 bucks on Powerstone. I know I'll get outbidded but whatever.

Decision time, if my 5 dollar GC comes in, do I order Crysis or Yakuza over at Amazon? Not really sure how well I can run crysis, the original ran around 20-30 ish in the demo on normal.

[quote name='DarthPuma']Chac, why did you say you don't like Giants? I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Graphics have help up incredibly well, and the gameplay is fun. Reminds me of Ratchet and Clank with a keyboard and mouse.

Bid 10 bucks on Powerstone. I know I'll get outbidded but whatever.

Decision time, if my 5 dollar GC comes in, do I order Crysis or Yakuza over at Amazon? Not really sure how well I can run crysis, the original ran around 20-30 ish in the demo on normal.[/QUOTE]

Giants just felt kinda bland and repetitive after a while. I mean, it wasn't awful or anything, but I didn't feel especially compelled to play more than 10 minutes of it...

I'd say Yakuza over Crysis, just because it's different. Though for the price of a 360 game (less if you have a CC around you), you could have both. And then you'd be really happy.

uh oh! first review from OXM magazine out for Silent Hill

http://silenthill5.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4205

"Very good things come to those who wait, bludgeon, and patiently endure the sixth chapter in the Silent Hill series. But right from its plodding start Homecoming's stab in the soupy fog does itself no favors by committing a number of grievous sins. From its leaden, cheap-shots-aplenty combat to its wild-goose chase through gray, same-y hallways filled with useless, placebo doorways to a story that takes much to long to get off the ground, its entire first half feels like a death march through a clunky hot mess. Yes, we get that we're Alex Shepherd, a discharged soldier hot on the trail of his mising brother. In his path is a spaced-out mom and his mysteriously deserted hometown of Shepherd's Glen - a town with the motto "Where family comes first" rather than the more appropriate "Where broken locks and respawning enemies come first.". And we appreciate that there's something bigger and more sinister going on behind the occult-happy scenes that somehow involves the dark neighboring city of Silent Hill."

"But Homecoming puts all the intrigue and genuine spooks on hold until its second half, which genuinely ramps up the creep factor. And thankfully, by then, you may have gotten a grasp on the games revamped combat scheme - one that forces you to avoid as much conflict as possible due to quick enemy patterns and a somewhat slow-to-respond dodging/counterattack mechanic that usually ends in your taking cheap hits galore. Put those fights in cramped corners with a protagonist that controls to much like circa 2000, Lara Croft-ian tank, and we've suddenly got the urge to punch our TV set in low-hanging you know whats."

"But the good... no, great news is that Homecomings second half saves its bloodied bacon by more thoughtfully pacing out enemy encounters, giving you more than just one health drink and one box of pistol rounds to survive, and cranking up the foreboding atmosphere to breaking point. Once this happens, you'll immediately know - and from that moment on, it's a tense, bloodcurdling trip to tear the curtains off of Alex's unhappy, plot-twisty ride into hell. Sure your enjoyment relies heavily on whether you guess the story's big end reveal in the first 30 minutes (we didn't), but Homecomings half-hidden, melancholy little heart is shown only to those who look past its incredibly M-rated gory kicks and often frustratingly lopsided, questionably balanced exterior."

- Francesca Reyes

Score: 6.5
The Verdict
+Gotta love that super-creepy atmosphere
-First half feels uneven and unbalanced
-Cheap hits and respawning enemies? Argh!
?Isn't joshua too old to be drawing like a 4-year-old? Just sayin'

personally... SH gameplay has always been ass so I can care less...

I only care about baseball bats n shyt and monsters with which to bludgeon with said blunt objects.

and if the overall game is good then I'm all for it!!

[quote name='Chacrana']Giants just felt kinda bland and repetitive after a while. I mean, it wasn't awful or anything, but I didn't feel especially compelled to play more than 10 minutes of it...

I'd say Yakuza over Crysis, just because it's different. Though for the price of a 360 game (less if you have a CC around you), you could have both. And then you'd be really happy.[/quote]

I'd buy both if I wasn't saving for the wallet raping holiday season. Even though I'm gonna limit myself to 4 full priced games, it's going to be a bitch.

Do I really need to play Yakuza if I have a DC with shenmue coming in in a week? They seem pretty similar.

[quote name='DarthPuma']I'd buy both if I wasn't saving for the wallet raping holiday season. Even though I'm gonna limit myself to 4 full priced games, it's going to be a bitch.

Do I really need to play Yakuza if I have a DC with shenmue coming in in a week? They seem pretty similar.[/QUOTE]

Yakuza is way better than Shenmue IMO.

Also, I may get flamed for this but........
I thought Shenmue got kind of boring

'Evening GGT! Just got in a little while ago. There were some unexpected delays, but I (and my husband) did meet up with Kendal. Had lunch, then went to Nintendo World, Book-Off, Kinokuniya, and then took the subway to Video Games New York in the Village. Fun times, and lots of stuff bought (my husband got me The Art of Gyakuten Saiban! :D).

Oh and daroga, Kendal got you something very adorable at Ninty World ^_^

[quote name='JEKKI']uh oh! first review from OXM magazine out for Silent Hill

"Very good things come to those who wait, bludgeon, and patiently endure the sixth chapter in the Silent Hill series. But right from its plodding start Homecoming's stab in the soupy fog does itself no favors by committing a number of grievous sins. From its leaden, cheap-shots-aplenty combat to its wild-goose chase through gray, same-y hallways filled with useless, placebo doorways to a story that takes much to long to get off the ground, its entire first half feels like a death march through a clunky hot mess. Yes, we get that we're Alex Shepherd, a discharged soldier hot on the trail of his mising brother. In his path is a spaced-out mom and his mysteriously deserted hometown of Shepherd's Glen - a town with the motto "Where family comes first" rather than the more appropriate "Where broken locks and respawning enemies come first.". And we appreciate that there's something bigger and more sinister going on behind the occult-happy scenes that somehow involves the dark neighboring city of Silent Hill."

"But Homecoming puts all the intrigue and genuine spooks on hold until its second half, which genuinely ramps up the creep factor. And thankfully, by then, you may have gotten a grasp on the games revamped combat scheme - one that forces you to avoid as much conflict as possible due to quick enemy patterns and a somewhat slow-to-respond dodging/counterattack mechanic that usually ends in your taking cheap hits galore. Put those fights in cramped corners with a protagonist that controls to much like circa 2000, Lara Croft-ian tank, and we've suddenly got the urge to punch our TV set in low-hanging you know whats."

"But the good... no, great news is that Homecomings second half saves its bloodied bacon by more thoughtfully pacing out enemy encounters, giving you more than just one health drink and one box of pistol rounds to survive, and cranking up the foreboding atmosphere to breaking point. Once this happens, you'll immediately know - and from that moment on, it's a tense, bloodcurdling trip to tear the curtains off of Alex's unhappy, plot-twisty ride into hell. Sure your enjoyment relies heavily on whether you guess the story's big end reveal in the first 30 minutes (we didn't), but Homecomings half-hidden, melancholy little heart is shown only to those who look past its incredibly M-rated gory kicks and often frustratingly lopsided, questionably balanced exterior."

- Francesca Reyes

The Verdict

I only care about baseball bats n shyt and monsters with which to bludgeon with said blunt objects.

and if the overall game is good then I'm all for it!![/quote]

Interesting... will have to try it out for myself though. A reviewer's definition of cheap often means "I suck at it." I'll take this with a grain of salt.

What's rock band 2's PS3 date?

I've talked myself out of new instruments. Doesn't really seem like they're worth it, and that's 130 bucks saved for stuff.

- Francesca Reyes

The Verdict

and if the overall game is good then I'm all for it!![/QUOTE]

That's disappointing... hopefully it's just OXM that thinks it's getto. I guess if 5 sucks, I could always get 3...

whoo~!!! done with my studies for the day!!

the rest of today's todo list:

-pushups/situps/squats sets
-shower & eat
-make a sandwich for tomorrow
-load new music into usb drive to listen to at work (Ayumi Hamasaki discography)
-take notes of which chapters I left off of in my mangas so I can read online at work
-play another stage in DMC4!

today has been a very productive day ^_^b jekki's life!!

So, I have to say my favorite part of Dawn of Sorrow is definitely the weapon synthesis. I find myself soul farming to get the souls I need to increase weapon X or weapon Y.

fuck, dude, the wind's going fucking crazy here. Power just when out a couple times, cable's fucked up, and I'm pretty sure there's a decent sized fire going on somewhere, the alarm just went off and a bunch of trucks zoomed by.

- Francesca Reyes

The Verdict

and if the overall game is good then I'm all for it!![/QUOTE]

funny since SH 2 got 7s and 6s and its a instant classic

EDIT: FaceBreaker 7/10 :rofl: ok, im totally ignoring this review now

Got that Yakuza 2. Won't be able to play it yet, since i have to fix a computer for somebody that a friend knows. At least I'm getting paid for it.

Protip: Don't go dumpster diving on the internet unless you have antivirus and spyware protection. And even then, it's a risk.

[quote name='refusedchaos']EDIT: FaceBreaker 7/10 :rofl: ok, im totally ignoring this review now[/QUOTE]

Too high or too low?

As for the SH5 review, I'll wait on it. I love horror games, but it wasn't looking so hot last time I checked on it.

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']fuck, dude, the wind's going fucking crazy here. Power just when out a couple times, cable's fucked up, and I'm pretty sure there's a decent sized fire going on somewhere, the alarm just went off and a bunch of trucks zoomed by.[/quote]

Power went out again right after I posted that.

Sha-zam.

[quote name='DarthPuma']So we established that Yakuza 1 does not need to be played before Yakuza 2, no?[/QUOTE]

No. Play the first game first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back