GGT 89 Brought to you by Beast Ice

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Chacrana']It just makes me happy that even if Gabe Newell is a fat fuck, he's anything but stupid. Steam is probably the best managed video game "platform" of all time.[/QUOTE]

I think at least part of that can be attributed to the fact that there is so much competition in the PC DD space. You have impulse, D2D, 'ea store'. Whereas with PSN+/Gold its just one company with no competition on the platform.

Steam isn't a "platform", it's just a distribution system. The costs of running and maintaining Steam are no where near what it costs to launch and support a piece of hardware like the 360 or PS3, not to mention the online services they utilize.

So yeah, not really a comparison there.

[quote name='BlueScrote']I guess I'm still seeing it as them taking away features from that would otherwise be available to all (like discounts and betas).[/QUOTE]

Uh... Don't know what consoles you've been playing but you have to pay to be a gold member to get the extra discounts from XBLA. XBLA deal of the week is gold only.

For example, everyone gets 30% off this week on Castle Crashers, Dead Nation, Ghost of Sparta, and Age of Zombies. PSN+ members just get an extra 20% on top of that (50% off the titles).

As uraizen says, it's a VIP/perks system.

[quote name='BlueScrote']I guess I'm still seeing it as them taking away features from that would otherwise be available to all (like discounts and betas).[/QUOTE]
You still get plenty of betas and discounts without it.

It's hard to half-ass pay-to-play online when it's not pay-to-play online.

[quote name='gunm']Steam isn't a "platform", it's just a distribution system. The costs of running and maintaining Steam are no where near what it costs to launch and support a piece of hardware like the 360 or PS3, not to mention the online services they utilize.

So yeah, not really a comparison there.[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure that MS has referred to XBL as a platform before, and that's what I'm referring to. Obviously I don't view steam the same way as a piece of hardware. I act dumb, but I'm not a tard.

[quote name='hankmecrankme']Ahem.[/QUOTE]

That's just a client for the distribution system. :cool:

Steam is great, it's just not the same thing as researching, developing, building, selling, and supporting an HD gaming/media playback/internet-capable consumer electionics device. Steam doesn't have to deal with retail, physical inventory, manufacturing costs, packaging etc etc etc so they can afford to blow out a sale once a year to everyone.

[quote name='gunm']That's just a client for the distribution system. :cool:[/QUOTE]
A platform can be software too. :cool:

But since some games have Steam integration, using Steam servers and having Steam achievements and Steam Cloud saving shit, it's basically the closest thing PC will get to XBL.

lol GFWL lol

Steam doesn't have to build, market, store, or support the PCs. They are living the digital dream so to speak.

I'm just saying there's a reason MS and Sony have to charge for their online "benefits" and Steam kind of doesn't. You can't compare Steam to those other online services for the reasons I explained.

And also, I'm not saying Steam isn't better for having lower overhead that they can pass along in the form of "free" this or that, or better discounts on this or that. On the other hand, I can't currently play Uncharted 3 or Gears 3 on Steam, so I'm stuck with hardware-based "platforms".

Plus I like blu-ray movies. :p

I was just shooting holes in your platform talk. That's it. :bouncy:

Platform = software, not just hardware. Only point I wanted to make.

iTunes = platform. DirextX = platform. etc.

None of this shit will matter anyway when we're all playing games on ONLIVE. @__@

[quote name='corrosivefrost']Uh... Don't know what consoles you've been playing but you have to pay to be a gold member to get the extra discounts from XBLA. XBLA deal of the week is gold only.

For example, everyone gets 30% off this week on Castle Crashers, Dead Nation, Ghost of Sparta, and Age of Zombies. PSN+ members just get an extra 20% on top of that (50% off the titles).

As uraizen says, it's a VIP/perks system.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, agreed. I think the reason people tend to complain more about PSN+ being not worth it is that vanilla PSN is much better than XBL silver.

[quote name='hankmecrankme']But bro, you own the rights to watch an interactive stream of it!! :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

Until the subscription ends. :cry:

[quote name='Cheska19']Im on Act 6.
I stopped playing for the moment when the fucking general pushed Trishka off the cliff. If she doesn't come back I'll hate the game forever.
[/QUOTE]

I'd love to spoil it for you, but I won't.

Corrosive and Joel already covered what I wanted to say, so... yea!

[quote name='hankmecrankme']I'm sooooooooooooo tempted to get PSN+. . . :cry:[/QUOTE]

I regretted getting PSN+ at first, now I take a look at all the shit I've gotten because of it and I don't anymore. I believe they're still running their "Buy 1 year, get 3 months free" promo too.

[quote name='gunm']Save yo funds bro, 'til the gigs pick up. ..[/QUOTE]

Ain't no gigs since ex-singer turned out to be an ego-tripping asshole douchebag. So friend and I recruited friend's bro on bass and we're working on music, hope to gig soon. Friend's going to try singing.

If anyone wants to audition to write lyrics and sing in a band, please apply in person.

[quote name='distgfx']
I regretted getting PSN+ at first, now I take a look at all the shit I've gotten because of it and I don't anymore. I believe they're still running their "Buy 1 year, get 3 months free" promo too.[/QUOTE]

I didn't realize PS+ people got extra discounts from stuff thats already discounted. Interesting. :whistle2:k

[quote name='distgfx']I regretted getting PSN+ at first, now I take a look at all the shit I've gotten because of it and I don't anymore. I believe they're still running their "Buy 1 year, get 3 months free" promo too.[/QUOTE]
They've been calling it a limited time offer since it started last summer.

[quote name='BlueScrote']I didn't realize PS+ people got extra discounts from stuff thats already discounted. Interesting. :whistle2:k[/QUOTE]

Like I said, Perks, bro.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']They've been calling it a limited time offer since it started last summer.[/QUOTE]

I know, they keep saying it'll end, but when? WHEN?! Still, might as well mention it.

[quote name='seanr1221']Joel, MS is taking action.[/QUOTE]

Hurry and spend the points before they disappear!

:whee:

Back when I got in on some "discounted"/"shady" points from people abusing the "gifting" system, I had a large amount of reserve saving them for future rockband purchases and content instead of blowing through them. I randomly had something like 3500+ points disappear. I actually called MS to bitch about them disappearing, but without the information of who paid for the points originally, they were "unable to do anything for me".

Some people like Rocko never had points disappear while others, like me, saw a chunk of their newly acquired points vaporize.

Point being, if MS is really "taking action" and there's a chance you might lose the points you got from this ordeal, spend them now. They can't revoke licenses, only credited points as far as I know.

[quote name='hankmecrankme']MS on the attack!!!

Crysis 2 MP is surprisingly fun.[/QUOTE]

I actually enjoyed the crysis 2 mp, although just like kz3 they cribbed heavily from Calladuty.

He did you a favor, which you'll realize when you play Dragon Age 2 and say to yourself "wow, this is pretty bad."

I wish Gears of War 3 came out instead of Dragon Age 2.

[quote name='whoknows']I wish they'd cancel Gears of War 3 and make a fun game instead.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='whoknows']I wish they'd cancel Gears of War 3 and make a fun game instead.[/QUOTE]

I just want to make sure nobody misses this post.

[quote name='whoknows']I can't help it has clunky controls and isn't fun.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='whoknows']I can't help it has clunky controls and isn't fun.[/QUOTE]

Yup... gotta make sure.

[quote name='seanr1221']Joel, MS is taking action.[/QUOTE] Where did you see that at?

[quote name='corrosivefrost']Hurry and spend the points before they disappear!

:whee:

Back when I got in on some "discounted"/"shady" points from people abusing the "gifting" system, I had a large amount of reserve saving them for future rockband purchases and content instead of blowing through them. I randomly had something like 3500+ points disappear. I actually called MS to bitch about them disappearing, but without the information of who paid for the points originally, they were "unable to do anything for me".

Some people like Rocko never had points disappear while others, like me, saw a chunk of their newly acquired points vaporize.

Point being, if MS is really "taking action" and there's a chance you might lose the points you got from this ordeal, spend them now. They can't revoke licenses, only credited points as far as I know.[/QUOTE] I would use them, but I'm kind of worried something worse will happen if I use the 2010 that's still sitting in my account. :(

[quote name='hankmecrankme']BANNHAMMERZ coming to get y'all. :whee:[/QUOTE] This is essentially my fear, I would hate to lose my LIVE account over this.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']Where did you see that at?

I would use them, but I'm kind of worried something worse will happen if I use the 2010 that's still sitting in my account. :(

This is essentially my fear, I would hate to lose my LIVE account over this.[/QUOTE]

It was on 1up and Kotaku.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back