Ghostbusters (PS3) discussion thread

I picked the game up a couple of days ago and it has been an absolute blast so far.

I was worried the graphics were going to be terrible from all the PS3 vs 360 comparisons that have been going around lately, but the game looks fine to me.

Only issues I have with the game so far is the poor lip synching for some of the cut scenes, and the horrible checkpoint system. I decided to stop playing between missions while I was at the HQ and when I resumed my game I found myself at the beginning of the next level. I am pretty sure I missed a cut scene because of that...

Anyways I'd love to get together with some CAGs for some multiplayer sometime! :whee:

[quote name='NamPaehc']HA! That is odd... I was just going to post that if anyone gets tired of the movie music (which I saw complained about in other places) this game does support custom soundtracks via the XMB.

Hurry up and finish single player ya'll. I need me a good GB crew online![/QUOTE]

Custom soundtracks.....in a PS3 game? Ahhhhh how I wish they did that in GTAIV.

Does this have OFFline multiplayer at all? Or is it online ONLY multi? I'm sure it's probably in the first post, but I didn't see it when I checked the other day.

[quote name='jh6269']Wow, so the developers of Uncharted, MGS4, Infamous, and the developers of God of War III (and countless others) must have magical powers that defy the laws of physics!

Ok, so anyway, is the game good or not (gameplay-wise)? Is it really an 8 out of 10?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='HowStern']

@Osiris even still with the bigger memory footprint the ps3's XDR memory is running at 3.2Ghz as opposed to Xbox360 GDR3 RAM running 700Mhz.
So, the ps3 can obviously process the stuff much quicker it just needs a good dev, that understands the tech, behind the wheel.

Also, the PS3's footprint isn't as big as the article you posted said. It uses 84mb apparently not 96.

But it really doesn't matter since the processor is so fast.[/QUOTE]

The Playstation 3 has a more normal separate video and system RAM, but the GPU can pull textures out of main RAM too, so there's no reason it can't use just as many textures. And of course you've got games like Oblivion, Bioshock, Mercs 2, and Burnout Paradise (among others) where the PLaystation version is using higher quality textures....so pretty obviously it's just this developer that had an issue. And hey, that's okay, I mean not everyone's got the expertise maybe to get every system running the same. Is a bit weird though.

Regarding the RAM clock speed-you can't compare it. It's a different type of RAM. The Playstation 3 has a bit over double the memory bandwidth of the Xbox 360 counting both video and main system RAM (the main RAM has more bandwidth than the entire 360, and the video RAM is similar to the entire 360, if I'm remembering right). BUT of course the 360 has that fast 10MB cache for the GPU. An entire frame doesn't fit in there, but as the GPU uses that for part of a frame, it's not hitting the rest of the memory, so that helps it be more comparable to the PS3. In theory at least, the Xbox should have a harder time doing higher resolutions than the PS3, because the higher the resolution, the lower the effective memory bandwidth the system has, as the less of the frame is getting stored in that 10MB before getting swapped back to main RAM. For the PS3, the bandwidth available is the same either way, as it's always just drawing the frame buffer into the 256MB video RAM. (In practice though, the PS3 really isn't powerful enough to do 1080p with any regularity either.)

Can I just say, I hate the online mode where you have to trap ghosts to get more time... :bomb:

:lol:
Other than that, I could barely wrench any enjoyment out of the game when I didn't see any glowing embers and the fuzzy graphics. Seriously... I felt like I was playing the Ghostbusters on the Master System.
picture.php

Finally started this today and I am loving it so far. I haven't tried the multiplayer but I'd be up for playing it whenever.

So is the MP just messed up or what? mguiddy and I tried to do the invite thing with no luck. What we had to do is I started a match and he just looked for it. It worked out ok that way - only one time did some random person join. But ya - is there something I am missing here???

And yes, I got the Ghostbusters home space tonight. Wheeeeeeeee :D

[quote name='metaly']What the fuck? There's a separate friends list in-game for the multiplayer? I don't remember getting the Wii version.[/QUOTE]
Add me... my code is 4587-5428-5682-5442-5884-2215-9845-5418-5125-4154-4298-7418-3152

[quote name='NamPaehc']There are certain modes where you have to be organized or you will NEVER win. The distruptor protection rounds... You can't just keep killing the marshmallow golem over and over during downtown... Gotta freeze him and STAY AWAY from the distruptor to keep him off of it while picking off the mini's if you want to win.[/QUOTE]

Wow, thank you. Why haven't people figured this out, yet? I see people with millions of dollars earned, and they still fucking keep killing the golem and staying by the unit! Stop that!

[quote name='fuss']So is the MP just messed up or what? mguiddy and I tried to do the invite thing with no luck. What we had to do is I started a match and he just looked for it. It worked out ok that way - only one time did some random person join. But ya - is there something I am missing here???

And yes, I got the Ghostbusters home space tonight. Wheeeeeeeee :D[/QUOTE]

yeah there is a separate friends list , and you cant invite friends to ranked games. hope that gets patched.

[quote name='mguiddy']Add me... my code is 4587-5428-5682-5442-5884-2215-9845-5418-5125-4154-4298-7418-3152[/QUOTE]

That got a chuckle :lol:

EDIT: So if this doesn't integrate with the Playstation's friend's list, AND uses fewer textures, I think it's safe to say Terminal Reality doesn't have the Playstation down yet..

But...is this there first game this generation? I mean I'm not going to bash them or anything, because the important hing is it sounds like they actually pulled off a really competent Ghostbusters game, which is pretty awesome.

Does anyone have problems adding people to their ingame friends list? I tried adding xxx but said it was invalid. I was thinking they have to log into multiplayer before they can be added.

[quote name='mguiddy']Does anyone have problems adding people to their ingame friends list? I tried adding xxx but said it was invalid. I was thinking they have to log into multiplayer before they can be added.[/QUOTE]

I couldn't add him, either. Sounds like he needs to stop slacking off and play some multi. Although I tried a round with Dasflikko earlier and it crashed after about 30 seconds, so maybe he shouldn't be in a hurry.

[quote name='Wolfpup']But...is this there first game this generation? I mean I'm not going to bash them or anything, because the important hing is it sounds like they actually pulled off a really competent Ghostbusters game, which is pretty awesome.[/QUOTE]

The Azetlor battle got me wondering if this is a good game at all, but I think that was the exception and I was really frustrated by the end of it. The rest of the game has been a lot of fun. I

[quote name='metaly']The Azetlor battle got me wondering if this is a good game at all, but I think that was the exception and I was really frustrated by the end of it. The rest of the game has been a lot of fun. I

You definitely make a decent point, which speaks to the absolute horrid nature of movie games, which we are probably already all aware of. But I would think there are definitely movie-based games that outshine this. GoldenEye, the AvP series, and Chronicles of Riddick are a few I can think of. Spiderman 2 would definitely be up there, as well.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']You definitely make a decent point, which speaks to the absolute horrid nature of movie games, which we are probably already all aware of. But I would think there are definitely movie-based games that outshine this. GoldenEye, the AvP series, and Chronicles of Riddick are a few I can think of. Spiderman 2 would definitely be up there, as well.[/QUOTE]

GoldenEye.. knew I was missing something obvious. :)

[quote name='metaly']I couldn't add him, either. Sounds like he needs to stop slacking off and play some multi. Although I tried a round with Dasflikko earlier and it crashed after about 30 seconds, so maybe he shouldn't be in a hurry.

The Azetlor battle got me wondering if this is a good game at all, but I think that was the exception and I was really frustrated by the end of it. The rest of the game has been a lot of fun. I

I played through it this weekend too. I'm glad everyone else thought the Azetlor battle was terrible, I was afraid I'd be the only one. The other part that was ridiculously difficult was the stone angels from the last level.

SoCal and I played multiplayer for at least an hour last Saturday night and didn't have any crashing problems.

Tips for multiplayer:

READ the manual! On most maps there is at least one of the power-up pads that spawns special equipment and not just ammo. Figure out what does what and how/WHEN to use them.

Like the ghost shrinker. Don't just run and pick it up cuz it is there... Wait for there to be a swarm of enemies on the screen. Grab it at the end or right before a round can be a waste.

Also the shrinker, it makes them smaller so you do more damage but they hit just as HARD. They look cuter but hurt the same so be careful.

Pink slime makes certain enemies your FRIEND. Seen it work on all of the small creatures, and the thin 2 leg types. Doesn't work on the floating ghosts or the larger golems as far as I know. So use it to make the minis distract the others. And if you see a pink colored baddie, don't shoot it in the back because it is fighting for you (until it is the last one left ;) )!

The more streams on a ghost, the faster it goes into the trap. Plus, you get bonus points if you trap them as a team. Doesn't matter who'se trap you use, though there might be a slight bonus if you use your own. Not 100% on that.

I got plenty more, but I hope to use it with ya'll in-game hopefully.

I wish people would get that you do, indeed, make out better if you play as a team! Yes, I understand some of the achievements/trophies entail that you are the overall earner, but please, if you're just going for that shit, kill yourself. Play as a team. You'll have more fun and earn more money in the process. Oh, and REVIVE your damn teammates. Wow. I understand there are times when you are across a map and can't. But when you're the only guy left, and I'm right in front of you, revive me.

[quote name='metaly']You guys suck.

Let me get in on that next time.

The multiplayer. :cool:
[/QUOTE]
Pretty sure you got offline literally just as we started to play and came back online when we were stopping.

[quote name='Wolfpup']The Playstation 3 has a more normal separate video and system RAM, but the GPU can pull textures out of main RAM too, so there's no reason it can't use just as many textures. And of course you've got games like Oblivion, Bioshock, Mercs 2, and Burnout Paradise (among others) where the PLaystation version is using higher quality textures....so pretty obviously it's just this developer that had an issue. And hey, that's okay, I mean not everyone's got the expertise maybe to get every system running the same. Is a bit weird though.
[/QUOTE]

My guess is they didn't want to take the time to retrofit their game engine for the PS3. They could have at least hired some contractors or something and made it work w/o the 4 GB install and taking out content. It's not like I must have the pretty graphics to enjoy a game (I'm a Wii owner who just recently got a PS3); it's just the principle that I feel like they promised much more.

Anyway, I don't care, there are other great games out there that are worth the money. I went ahead and returned the game and got my $60 back and bought Oblivion (Game of the year Edition) and Rachet & Clank with the PS3 Greatest hits deal. I'm going to rent Ghostbusters, and if I like it, I'll buy it used for $30 or less.

The invite system in this is something else. We're trying to get a game going if anyone wants to hop on now now now!

[quote name='metaly']The invite system in this is something else. We're trying to get a game going if anyone wants to hop on now now now![/QUOTE]

Define "something else" :bomb:

Well I'm still trudging my way through the single player and I'm enjoying it so far (just got past the Cilil War part in the museum).
I only tired a quick few rounds with my friend of multiplayer in a private game.
Any interest in a CAG night? I can update the main post if anyone is interested.

Sorry I seem to keep missing you, Sinistar.

Got in some good games with Dasflikko and DD, though. Out of all the instant gametypes, Survival, Containment and Slime Dunk are probably my favorites. The other modes were kind of lame.

A game night might be cool but so far it's been pretty easy just grabbing one or two people online. I've just been setting up ranked matches and random people end up filling out any empty spots -- it definitely evened up the odds in Survival.

metaly and I encountered a neat little glitch during the mode where you have to protect the PKE disrupters.
While the last disrupter charging Stay Puft sent one or two little minions towards us then just sat there staring at us. :lol:

And yeah, Slime Dunk was fun. :cool:

And I don't think a CAG night would work... Just like every other game with limited online capabilities (BBC, Worms, Rockband, etc, etc).

I'm going to try to add some of you guys tonight. I'm currently in the process of running through and getting all the artifacts and PKE scans, but after that, i'm going ot be ready for some MP.

ugh... anyone else getting hit by this naaasty save file bug?!?!

I did a search on gamefaqs, it definitely appears to be a common problem.

I dont mind the graphical comparisons, I absolutely love this game regardless, but this bug does annoy me and I'm seriously thinking of trading my copy in for xbox version later on...

-EDIT-

did a search on gamefaqs board again for the xbox version.

ppl reporting similar problems...

-_-...

common bugs for all!

kinda... it's very YMMV.

basically yes, when u restart the game the only option is New Career... your save file disappears.

this can be remedied by going into Multiplayer option and exiting, magically your Resume Career option will come back.

however, some ppl have reported that while their career recovers, their artifact / ghost scan collection does not. Fortunately I have not lost any of that... yet...

One thing I did note tho, is that I was browsing the art gallery and I only had the 2nd and 3rd ones unlocked. I have beaten up to the 3rd stage and collected 100% on 2 and 3, so I assumed that's how to unlock the stage art gallery.

I went back to replay stage 1 to get my missing artifacts, then when I exited back to the title I didnt have any art galleries unlocked anymore!

I cant believe they can put so many problems into a game that I am enjoying so much... so depressing...

more info: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/search.php?search=save&board=944010

murphy's law...

in an attempt to recover my career save, I lost all my artifacts and ghost scans :cry:

I am not very happy...

-edit-

wow... I also now have $0...

but my upgrades are all still intact.

and my financial career overview still properly shows my damage & income.

seriously... fuck this game and its bugs :bomb:

Dang it! First Resident Evil 5, now this. I might as well just wait for greatest hits versions...

So I put in the pre-order code from BBY - kinda ticked it changed my in-game character... but the new online characters it ave me almost made up for it. Its better than the gamestop code I put in, that was worthless.

What did it change it to, and you can't change it back? I'm kind of iffy on these pre-order in game things...

Everytime i try to do a quick match in MP- i get an error message that says something about "Wrong Map Version" or something, anyone else experience that message?

I've been distracted with Red Faction, but I'd be up for some Ghostbusters multiplayer. Send me a PSN message if you want to get a group together.

I finished the campaign and I'm thinking of going back to get all the ghosts/artifacts I missed. Anyone know if I can do "Replay Mission" and scan just the ones I missed, or do I have to scan everything again? I've heard it was kind of buggy.

[quote name='metaly']I've been distracted with Red Faction, but I'd be up for some Ghostbusters multiplayer. Send me a PSN message if you want to get a group together.

I finished the campaign and I'm thinking of going back to get all the ghosts/artifacts I missed. Anyone know if I can do "Replay Mission" and scan just the ones I missed, or do I have to scan everything again? I've heard it was kind of buggy.[/QUOTE]

No, you can just replay the mission sections to get all scans, artifacts, and water fountains which is what I did (even though I missed only like 1 of each). After you get them, you can load right back to the main menu and go to the next one.

bread's done
Back