GI JOE: Rise of Cobra! - GO SEE IT!!! BETTER THAN TRANSFORMERS 2!!!

Myke, you probably wouldn't like this film. Just sayin.

And does that mean you were bothered with Memoirs of a Geisha all taking place in Japan but mostly acted by Chinese actors?

The Snake Eyes vs. Storm Shadow scenes were awesome. I also loved the "red shirt"-ness of the neo-vipers.

In reply to Myke's over sensitivity to "asian stereotypes" I'd rather have a competant Korean playing a Japanese character than a crappy Japanese in the role just to make sure people aren't offended. Theater and movies have a long history of playing someone they aren't. The cast him because he was the best, not because he had a certain background, the end.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Myke, you probably wouldn't like this film. Just sayin.

And does that mean you were bothered with Memoirs of a Geisha all taking place in Japan but mostly acted by Chinese actors?[/QUOTE]

Yup. Except I didn't see Memoirs, I do recall that...wasn't Zhang Ziyi the main character in the film?

RvB, the reason I'm "oversensitive" is because it's fucking ridiculous. Koreans ≠ Japanese ≠ Chinese. It's the interchangeability of Asians to American audiences. Maybe, in the movie, they explain that he is Korean. But I doubt it. Remember the few people who cried and whined that Michael Clarke Duncan was "Kingpin" in...was it Daredevil? I can't remember. Yeah. That sort of thing. We don't want people making inaccurate ethnic generalizations, except when we want to pretend like we don't know any better.

Either way, that's all *I'm* going to say about it - back on topic about this movie.

Thrust, I thought Iron Man was fantastic fun when I saw it the other week - does that have any bearing on whether or not I'd like GI Joe?

[quote name='mykevermin']
Thrust, I thought Iron Man was fantastic fun when I saw it the other week - does that have any bearing on whether or not I'd like GI Joe?[/QUOTE]

No..... Its like... I had the best hamburger the other week. Would I like the hamburger the same if shit was mixed into it?

Avoid this one Myke.

Alright, two more thoughts on the movie after more thinking:

The Snake Eyes vs. Storm Shadow scenes really are good. Probably the best action sequence in the whole movie.

The accelerator suit were not needed. Until proven otherwise, I firmly believe the accelerator suit were incorporated into the film because the director/writer/whoever is in charge wanted mutant-like powers for the Joes. If Storm Shadow and Snakes Eyes can do the things they do without accelerator suits, then there's no reason the other characters can't. Someone needed to tell the director G.I. Joe =/= X-Men. The only saving grace for this is that the suits are only prominent for one action sequence and one small part in the beginning and then they fade into the background and hopefully into oblivion.

Grr. Okay. Now terrorists have a bomb and are heading to Paris to use it, right? G.I. Joe must bring out the big guns for this battle. How many troops do they send? How many jets and jeeps and tanks and things?
Five.

Five tanks?
Five people. But they rent a van.

fuck YOU.
I mean, I'm assuming. They're in a perfectly nice white van with no technological upgrades at all, such as one might rent at Enterprise.

FUUUUCCCKKK YOOOOUUUU
Look, it makes more sense when you realize they're only chasing after two people in an SUV.

:rofl:

I think this was the same website where I read a summary of Transformers 2 that was similar in style and equal in pointing out the ridiculous plot. "Stupid summer action blockbuster" must be codeword for "plot holes? who gives a shit?"

[quote name='mykevermin']Yup. Except I didn't see Memoirs, I do recall that...wasn't Zhang Ziyi the main character in the film?[/quote]
Yep that was her. The only japanese person in that movie was ken wantanabe.

RvB, the reason I'm "oversensitive" is because it's fucking ridiculous. Koreans ≠ Japanese ≠ Chinese. It's the interchangeability of Asians to American audiences. Maybe, in the movie, they explain that he is Korean. But I doubt it. Remember the few people who cried and whined that Michael Clarke Duncan was "Kingpin" in...was it Daredevil? I can't remember. Yeah. That sort of thing. We don't want people making inaccurate ethnic generalizations, except when we want to pretend like we don't know any better.
Yeah I'm getting pretty sick of Australians playing American historical figures myself ;)

Thrust, I thought Iron Man was fantastic fun when I saw it the other week - does that have any bearing on whether or not I'd like GI Joe?
Eh, no. I think it's safe to say that Iron Man is a GOOD movie. GI Joe isn't a good movie, it's a FUN movie. I don't know how to explain it much better. It's a fun movie in the sense that you are on a fun house ride drunk, you won't leave the ride feeling entertained in a stimulated way, you'll leave the ride giggling about the cool shit you saw.

Just replace "drunk" for "pretending your 10".

the reason I'm "oversensitive" is because it's fucking ridiculous. Koreans ≠ Japanese ≠ Chinese.

You're not the only one. It annoys me too.

My wife & I noticed alot of cultural inconsistencies in the Tokyo flashback scenes. First off the scene is established in Tokyo but when the camera zoom down to reveal a young Snake Eyes rummaging through garbage the signs are in Chinese and look more like Hong Kong. The giant "asian style bulding" that he sees in the distance looks more Chinese, plus there isn't a building like that in the middle of Tokyo anyways. And finally Japanese monks don't train in martial arts, again that's more of a Chinese thing.

While each one doesn't do much harm, as a whole it makes Americans internationally ignorant into thinking everything asian is the same.

[quote name='thrustbucket']
Eh, no. I think it's safe to say that Iron Man is a GOOD movie. GI Joe isn't a good movie, it's a FUN movie. I don't know how to explain it much better. It's a fun movie in the sense that you are on a fun house ride drunk, you won't leave the ride feeling entertained in a stimulated way, you'll leave the ride giggling about the cool shit you saw.

Just replace "drunk" for "pretending your 10".[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've not seen (and probably won't see) G.I. Joe, but that's pretty much my take on such movies.

I saw Transformers 2 and enjoyed it as I knew to just shut off my mind, not worry about the plot and have fun watching shit blow up for a couple hours. I have no desire to see it again, but no regrets about going to see it on the big screen.

But I can only stomach such movies very once in a great while.

The Asian actor thing doesn't really bother me much. I've never heard my Taiwanese girlfriend complain about it either. I don't think it's a hollywood thing either as we've watched some Chinese and Taiwanese films set in those countries and she's noted that an actress was Korean or Japanese etc. It's probably just more a result of trying to use famous actors, or actors the director/producer knows, etc. rather than anything racial/ethnic. But as I've said many times I'm not particular interested or concerned with that kind of stuff unless it delves into outright discrimination.

[quote name='thrustbucket']

Just replace "drunk" for "pretending your 10".[/QUOTE]
I didn't love Iron Man, but yeah, I tend to agree with that assessment. And my wife enjoyed it, so that can't be a bad thing.

[quote name='Rodimus']Who was Brendon Frasier supoosed to be?[/QUOTE]

GI Generic.

And yah, Hollywood could give two shits about making cultural distinctions between races, particularly non-whites. I gave up getting upset over that stuff a while ago. :p

[quote name='gunm']GI Generic.

And yah, Hollywood could give two shits about making cultural distinctions between races, particularly non-whites. I gave up getting upset over that stuff a while ago. :p[/QUOTE]

Just non-whites? What about all the English and Australian actors who play Americans?

[quote name='lawdood']Just non-whites? What about all the English and Australian actors who play Americans?[/QUOTE]

And they get non-Australian and non-English actors to play those roles even more. I didn't say "just non-whites", so I'm not sure what you're trying to counter me on, but my point is Hollywood doesn't give a shit. Anyway, that's the last OT I'll go on this one.

I thought the part where they weaponize the warheads was hilarious. The film makers obviously don't know what a particle accelerator is or how weaponization works but hey, neither does anyone watching the movie!

I agree with the overall sentiment here: Not a great movie, but fun. I really liked Snake Eyes throughout. Maybe it was just that I knew the actor was the same guy who played Darth Maul, but he was totally cool. The fight with Storm Shadow and his ride on the car were some of the highlights of the movie. Also Scarlett, but for... other reasons.

[quote name='SpreadTheWord']I thought the part where they weaponize the warheads was hilarious. The film makers obviously don't know what a particle accelerator is or how weaponization works but hey, neither does anyone watching the movie!
[/QUOTE]

What about the fact that they only weaponized one warhead but all three magically were weaponized.

bread's done
Back