GI JOE: Rise of Cobra! - GO SEE IT!!! BETTER THAN TRANSFORMERS 2!!!

I'm really liking Resolute so far, but did anyone notice in the third episode during Duke's opening speech that Shipwreck's hat keeps altering from being on his head to being off? Maybe it's just my attention to Shipwreck, but it's definitely a goof that they should have caught since they specifically show him taking off his hat at the beginning of the speech.

But, hey, at least he's not dead... yet.

[quote name='mykevermin']I'm kinda happy with that spoiler, actually, botticus.

I mean, there are better choices, but that wasn't so bad, was it?[/quote]
I thought it was pretty terrible, should have been the female Dial-Tone. But at least Roadblock is in this rather than Heavy Duty.

It could have been any number of folks:
Sci-Fi
Tunnel Rat
Jynx

and god only knows who else. I'm more angry that they killed off one of my favorite villains right at the beginning of the episode!

[quote name='ITDEFX']why is this web only?[/QUOTE]

CN is showing it Saturday night at 11 PM Central. Its an hour and a half

Personally, I've been digging what Warren Ellis has been doing to this universe

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='mykevermin']It could have been any number of folks:
Sci-Fi
Tunnel Rat
Jynx

and god only knows who else. I'm more angry that they killed off one of my favorite villains right at the beginning of the episode![/quote]That was rather unexpected. Though it's entertaining how it totally differs in style from the original cartoons, but they have plenty of references to what happened in those days.

I have some issues with voices or designs of some of the characters, but overall it's a lot better than I expected it to be.

I want to watch Resolute, but what's with this death of characters thing? They makin' it an animated Harper's Island or something?

[quote name='gunm']I want to watch Resolute, but what's with this death of characters thing? They makin' it an animated Harper's Island or something?[/QUOTE]

They killed off a lot of major characters in various comic arcs, so it's not really a new thing in the G.I. Joe universe. Female Dial-Tone is from the comics as well. If I remember right, when the G.I. Joe comics were resurrected, they kind of "killed off" the same Joe in that when he reported to be re-instated he was completely overweight and was not able to make the cut.

[quote name='fart_bubble']CN is showing it Saturday night at 11 PM Central. Its an hour and a half

Personally, I've been digging what Warren Ellis has been doing to this universe[/quote]

I am usually passed out by that time.

[quote name='tangytangerine']Probably due to each episode having a 5 min. run time.[/quote]

Remember when clone wars (2003?) came out. that was about 3-5 mins for the first season and that was on the network. You would think AS/CN would show more ads considering the new GI Joe Movie is coming out. But I am willing to bet that this show will be better than the movie :|

[quote name='shipwreck']They killed off a lot of major characters in various comic arcs, so it's not really a new thing in the G.I. Joe universe. Female Dial-Tone is from the comics as well. If I remember right, when the G.I. Joe comics were resurrected, they kind of "killed off" the same Joe in that when he reported to be re-instated he was completely overweight and was not able to make the cut.[/quote]

Hm, I followed the first 30 or so issues of the original with Larry Hama and and I don't remember anyone major dying, let alone that being a regular thing...I think I need to go find those comics or just check the archives online 'cause, I'm drawing a blank.

Oddly enough, that was one of the comics at the time that I was picking up regularly to read.

Edit: man, I'm really drawing a blank now because I can't even remember if I still own the comics! I swear I had every issue from #1 until like 40 or 50. I wonder if I sold off that part of the collection? Dang it. :p

[quote name='gunm']Hm, I followed the first 30 or so issues of the original with Larry Hama and and I don't remember anyone major dying, let alone that being a regular thing...I think I need to go find those comics or just check the archives online 'cause, I'm drawing a blank.

Oddly enough, that was one of the comics at the time that I was picking up regularly to read.[/QUOTE]

Back then they just killed off Green Shirts or characters without Nicknames. Later in the series, and in the more recent incarnations, is where the death tolls started rising.

Ohhh. I did stop reading well before the original series ended.

Crap, I think I did sell off my GI Joe comics. :/

I wonder if the comic Resolute continuity is the same as the cartoon. If it is, they're really limiting themselves with all the deaths in an hour series. If it isn't, they're going to be running dry on recognizable characters really quick for any potential future animated episodes. Already through Part 8 we've seen the ends of
Bazooka, Major Bludd, Roadblock and Gung-Ho (maybe), and Storm Shadow.
Yikes.

Re: Part 7,
what the hell was the deal with Roadblock becoming some sort of gleeful mass murderer?

Getting really OT now, but maybe the writer or director of Resolute saw Watchmen at the time they were doing the script?

I really dig the Resolute cartoon show. It really should get its own thread. I'm glad they are killing off people. But if it becomes an ongoing show, the can always have a 2nd version of the dead characters. I mean wasn't there like 3 cobra comanders in the various comcis? And has Destro always been the same guy?

And it could be just this first Pilot episode that has a high death count. Once it becomes an ongoing show you can kill off folks less frequently. I mean once people start dying left and right it kinda loses its shock value. That is until they kill off your favorite Joe.

Please done kill Tunnel Rat!

[quote name='KingDox']I really dig the Resolute cartoon show. It really should get its own thread. I'm glad they are killing off people. But if it becomes an ongoing show, the can always have a 2nd version of the dead characters. I mean wasn't there like 3 cobra comanders in the various comcis? And has Destro always been the same guy?

And it could be just this first Pilot episode that has a high death count. Once it becomes an ongoing show you can kill off folks less frequently. I mean once people start dying left and right it kinda loses its shock value. That is until they kill off your favorite Joe.

Please done kill Tunnel Rat![/QUOTE]

There's only been one Cobra Commander the entire run as far as I know. He's been presumed dead a couple of times and Fred VII masqueraded as Cobra Commander for awhile, but they've never out-right replaced him. Well, there was the whole G.I. Joe Movie fiasco, but Cobra-La generally isn't taken as part of G.I. Joe cannon.

Destro has always been the same guy as well, although, he has a son, Alexander, that has imitated him.

^I'm always fascinated by how fans of certain pop culture programs/types try to resolve narrative holes and the like.

So I'm curious what the boundaries of the GI Joe "Canon" are, in order to make it easy to rationalize away the inclusion of some characters. Tho' I always thought "Nemesis Enforcer" would have been a great name for a band that plays the jud-jud victory records style of macho man hardcore.

If we can arbitrarily write off characters, can we do away with Zandar and Zarana as well?

[quote name='mykevermin']^I'm always fascinated by how fans of certain pop culture programs/types try to resolve narrative holes and the like.

So I'm curious what the boundaries of the GI Joe "Canon" are, in order to make it easy to rationalize away the inclusion of some characters. Tho' I always thought "Nemesis Enforcer" would have been a great name for a band that plays the jud-jud victory records style of macho man hardcore.

If we can arbitrarily write off characters, can we do away with Zandar and Zarana as well?[/QUOTE]

Both of them play significant roles in some of the recent comics. Not to mention Zartan's daughter Zanya. If one has to go though, Zandar would be it. He's the least interesting of the bunch.

My boundaries for G.I. Joe "Canon" are the animated movie and will soon include this live-action film. Oh, and Sgt. Savage never existed, nor did the terrible cartoons following the animated movie. Basically anything I find uncool, that's not canon. :)

That's the funny thing - I bet you're not alone, and there are many, many Joe "aficionados" who would agree with you. Those who might say that "Eco Warriors" aren't really canon, or the Kingpin, etc. On the other hand, there are a large number of characters you'd likely find agreement on as being necessary - nobody could do w/out...well, most of the characters in Resolute. You could argue if, say, Rock n' Roll deserves a bigger part or not...but not whether or not he's expendable.

I don't recall the specifics of "the terrible cartoons following the animated movie," but I do recall them chopping up the movie into 0:22 minute bites that they showed as episodes.

So if I'm reading these posts correctly, "Resolute" is a 90-minute program that CN is chopping up online...that may become an eventual series?

I like to consider the original cartoons canon, and that's about it. Wasn't a comic fan. That means all the 82-94 toys are legit, considering the cartoons were just advertisements for them.

As far as Resolute goes, I believe it's always been intended as a one-shot deal to give fans something "more mature" (which apparently means lots of dead characters). I'm sure if they think they can make money off it, they'd look at producing additional animation.

[quote name='shipwreck']My boundaries for G.I. Joe "Canon" are the animated movie and will soon include this live-action film. Oh, and Sgt. Savage never existed, nor did the terrible cartoons following the animated movie. Basically anything I find uncool, that's not canon. :)[/quote]

I'm starting to think they're cherry picking characters in Resolute. Because there's no Serpentor, Sgt. Slaughter, General Hawk and others introduced in Season 2. For some reason, there's been no Dreadnoks either.

Man, Resolute destroys anything they've shown of the live action movie. Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow are pure ninja bliss.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']New trailer for the film:
http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b121828_rate-a-trailer_gi_joe_goes_boom.html

Actually looks like this movie will be fun.[/QUOTE]

The more I see of this movie, the less I want to see it. I can understand removing the costumes from the x-men but it worked then because the characters still had their trademark mutant power. So you still identified with them.

But with GI Joe and everyone (minus Snakeyes) in generic leather and kevlar body armor, I can't get excited about this movie at all. If you showed me a line up I bet I could ID the vilians just on hunches, but the heros? All of them are so god damn generic.

[quote name='KingDox']The more I see of this movie, the less I want to see it. I can understand removing the costumes from the x-men but it worked then because the characters still had their trademark mutant power. So you still identified with them.

But with GI Joe and everyone (minus Snakeyes) in generic leather and kevlar body armor, I can't get excited about this movie at all. If you showed me a line up I bet I could ID the vilians just on hunches, but the heros? All of them are so god damn generic.[/quote]

I agree... I will check out this movie for the effects only...and it won't be a midnight showing.

If this movie has a midnight showing I'll see it. Looks entertaining, which is what I look for in a movie.

I've never personally cared for G.I. Joe which is why I probably could care less it's not like the cartoon or whatever.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']New trailer for the film:
http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b121828_rate-a-trailer_gi_joe_goes_boom.html

Actually looks like this movie will be fun.[/QUOTE]

For those that liked the Transformers movie...

Besides the absurd plan to take over the world launched by Cobra, this just keeps getting further and further from G.I. Joe.

With the suits that give them super-human abilities and the cars that transform to launch missiles, are we sure they didn't get G.I. Joe confused with M.A.S.K.?

[quote name='mykevermin']If you think that trailer looked good, your taste in everything sucks.[/quote]

:rofl:

[quote name='shipwreck']For those that liked the Transformers movie...

Besides the absurd plan to take over the world launched by Cobra, this just keeps getting further and further from G.I. Joe.

With the suits that give them super-human abilities and the cars that transform to launch missiles, are we sure they didn't get G.I. Joe confused with M.A.S.K.?[/quote]

Damn... I can't believe you mentioned M.A.S.K.!!! That movie needs to be made PERIOD.

gijoeposter-full.jpg

Apparently the good/evil demarcation is the color of flaming herpes the females have.

Hmm... I'm on the fence, there's some parts of it that I thought were pretty cool and then I saw some of the actors and the first thing that came to mind is the Street Fighter movie...

I so hope the movie is not failtastic. I hate the fact that I have my hopes way higher than they should be. I try to go in expecting a mountain of crap and come out happy.

I haven't watched or seen anything past the cast pics.

Am I going to be saddened fellow CAGers?

[quote name='mykevermin']The tagline on that GI Joe poster should be "Hey, check out my ass!"[/QUOTE]

wrong film myke
megan_fox_transformers_motorcycle.jpg

Movie was actually good, I did not expect it to be any good, and was actually surprised I liked it. Sienna Miller as Baroness = :drool:.

[quote name='whoknows']I saw it.

Was better than I thought it would be. Absolutely better than Transformers was.[/QUOTE]
To be fair, the videos that peta shows of animals getting slaughtered was better then Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen.

wow.... i really can't believe it! So this is one of those rare "Bad trailers, but good movie"? Who would have guessed? Ok, I am convinced to seeing it after work today!

So many reviews I read seem to have settled on a simple tag line: Not as bad as you'd expect.

I don't know if I'm ready to drop $7 on it yet. But I may.

bread's done
Back