GI JOE: Rise of Cobra! - GO SEE IT!!! BETTER THAN TRANSFORMERS 2!!!

I saw it and it has moments that try to be funny but if you aren't paying attention you will miss it. I liked the story though so it isn't that bad.

[quote name='ITDEFX']I really wonder if there is a "Knowing is half the battle" line in the movie...[/QUOTE]

The answer lies within
Yes, in fact more than one.

I saw it last night and was very much entertained. I thought it was going to be terrible after all of the awful trailers, but it is much better than those elude to. Obviously, you know what you're getting into by seeing a G.I. Joe movie so don't expect the world's greatest action movie, but I think a lot of people will be pleasantly surprised and satisfied with it. My biggest complaint is with the design choice of Cobra Commander and I bet that will be most people's as well.

Still, if you're in the mood for an entertaining action movie then go see it.

damn it all now youre all making me curious about this crap film. guess its all about going in with the lowest expectations possible..........question if snake eyes and storm shadow had light sabers do you think they could beat the jedi?

I'm going to see it today can't wait as I ate this shit up as a kid. Every morning before school was GI Joe and I had ALL the toys thanks to my allowance and begging my mom every time we hit a store lol. Glad to hear people are liking the movie. :)

i loved the movie, great mix of action and backstory, and i'm a huge G.I. Joe fan. I have most of the Marvel comics and tried to get most of the 25th anniversary line. Been picking up Joes since '00. Had a handful growing up. The story makes sense, although not 100% true to what I know the history was, but that's why it has broader appeal, cuz if you don't know G.I. Joe, you can still enjoy this movie. Made me check out Gamestop and possibly pick up the game for full price, but then I saw the $50 price tag and put it back.

I'm pretty stoked to see it myself. At minimum, I'll at least see Sienna Miller in skin tight spandex as Baroness. :drool:

[quote name='lokizz']damn it all now youre all making me curious about this crap film. guess its all about going in with the lowest expectations possible..........question if snake eyes and storm shadow had light sabers do you think they could beat the jedi?[/QUOTE]

Well seeing as Snake Eyes is Darth Maul, and we know what happened to him - no.

Action like a motherf'er! Yahoo says the run time was 118 minutes so figure 103 of those as action scenes. Then a lil dialogue/story just to confuse your senses. Go wanting to have fun and enjoy a scenematic adventure and you'll be satisfied. Don't go to this looking to wrap your mind around a great tale. Better than Transformers by far and had a pretty good looking preview for a new Scorsese DiCaprio movie called Shutter Island.

Edit: and Luke good call on not buying the game, it looks horrible!

Well I just came back from watching it....and I actually liked it!!!

Good
-Special Effects, especially the under water battle!! about freaking time!! I think at one point the star wars prequels were suppose to have an underwater battle but the canned that idea.

-The Cobra backstory

-The appearance of the USS FLAG! Loved it!!

-Knowing is half the battle line!! Only 1/3rd of my crowd actually recognized it :)

-No sex/gross jokes (like in tf2)

The Bad
-The Barreness switches sides :(....or did she? 0.o
-The Barreness' brother is Cobra Commander??!?!?
-Don't like his mask...what was the purpose of it?
-Snake Eyes killed Storm shadow!!
-Cobra Commander and Destro being captured and put into some weird prison at the end...Cobra Commander always escapes!!
-Delta 6 Suits.....lame.

The story does leave the door opened for a sequel considering the following:
-The Barroness can still be controlled by the nanomites...
-Zartan is the president.
-Dr. Mindbender is out there.

Can anyone confirm any cameos? I was hoping to see Shipwreck and Lady J but no go :(

So I guess Covergirl is dead?

So it's official. Corney Trailers, but good movie! Thumbs up!

Last edited by a moderator:
They have a clip of him in the previews so... They lie about how bad he is?

Only way I'd watch this is to see the chicks otherwise. No thanks.

He says three words in the previews. If that's what you want to base it off of go for it.

I'm not trying to convince you to see it because I don't care if you do or not. I'm just saying that he's not bad in it.

[quote name='VipFREAK']Nobody noticed a Wayan in this movie? That can't be good.[/QUOTE]

Well as long as he isn't smoking a joint, then it's all good.

^Pretty much...

Since it's painful anytime he opens his mouth it's 3 words too much... To be honest I thought it was Nick Cannon. Which... isn't any better.

Speaking of which what character does Wayan play? I don't remember anyone that retarded in the cartoon.

I really think a lot of people are turned off by the trailers because the majority of them seem to focus on the Accelerator suits. They do play a substantial role in the movie, but it's not what makes the Joes into G.I. Joes. The suits play their role for a nice long action seen or two and that's all you see of them. I think a lot of people are watching the trailers and think Duke is going to be running around the entire time in a mech-suit.

I saw it as the director again taking liberties and adding on some stupid crap for flash. The equivalent of this in Transformers is that they take an hr to transform...

This did not rape my childhood like I thought it would.

It is actually decent summer blow everything up film. The story was passable, the actions was fast paced but managed well, and there was a lot of nods to the old cartoon.

Not the best thing ever, but I didn't go away from this with a sick feeling of my childhood being destroyed like Transformers did to me.

This actually TRIED to mix new ideas with old school feel.

EDIT: Oh and the 5 second cameo of Brendan Fraser as "Generic G.I Joe" guy was funny. Especially when I read he just wanted to be in a film of his favorite cartoon ever. He didn't care if he was an extra. Haha

He won some points with me for that.

He's busy hating something he hasn't seen so font sizes help his argument.

Wayans is Ripcord in the movie and was surprisingly decent. They do kinda have him as the screwball sidekick when he and Duke first join GI Joe but it works and he takes care of his business.

[quote name='rodeojones903']Do the guns fire lasers?[/QUOTE]

Ummmmmm kind of....

They set it up that Cobra and Joe have weapons that is a good 20 years ahead of anything we use now. So Joe uses bullets, but has crazy gear. Cobra uses these sonic laser-ish type guns that jack you up pretty good if they hit you.

I think they did this because laser guns were considered the coolest high tech weapon back the 80's. Now they had to change things up. The new stuff fills the non pure laser guns very well.

I really enjoyed the film. I think it is a great way to make relevant a somewhat forgotten series. The only part I didn't like was when Rex put on his Cobra Commander helmet. Perhaps it is because I became familiar with Levitt's honestly great Cobra Commander voice, and, what I thought was a modern adaptation of the 'Cobra Commander' look, but I did not like the character for the brief moments after he put on the Cobra Commander helmet and used that odd, lower-toned voice.

Outside of that one complaint, I thoroughly enjoyed this film adaptation. Sure, they could have used the Marvel or Devil's Due comic book stories, but the film adaptation works. Oh, and this is perhaps the first time I ever liked Marlon Wayans in a film. He is a bit toned-down, not overwhelming, and works well in this role. That alone blew my mind.

My bro-in-law saw it last night and said he fell asleep through a lot of it. I didn't quite understand that given those who are saying it is mostly action and little, if any, story. Anyway, I'll probably see it next week.

if you go in with no to negative expectations you might be surprised by it..........i still feel dirty for liking it............

Saw this last night.

It's a shame how Paramount is treating this. Really shitty trailer. Few critic screenings, etc. There were only like 20 people in my theater with me on OPENING NIGHT! I feel bad for the filmakers for how Paramount has handled this. I doubt we will see a sequel if the same thing happened nation wide. And that's too bad.

They didn't try to inject tons of storyline and character development where there isn't any and it isn't welcome (ahem....Transformers....ahem) - so it never pretends to be more than it is: 200 million dollar movie based on kids toys.

This is easily Stephen Somers best film - for those that can stomach his approach to begin with. My wife knows nothing about Transformers or GI-Joe, her comment coming out of the movie was "That was a lot better than Transformers 2, the action was a lot more enjoyable".

GI-Joe: Rise of the Cobra is not a GREAT movie. It's not even a GOOD movie. It is, however, a FUN movie, for sure. When did having fun at the movies become bad?

Oh and I just got back from The Perfect Getway. It was good. Go see it. Don't think you know what it's about from that shitty trailer either.

I just wish people that made these kind of movies kept the original costumes. Would X-Men have been *worse* if they did? I think not. This movie pulled the same shit, giving them all crappy outfits.

Megatron should have been a gun too. That's what ruined Transformers before I actually watched it (watching it just ruined it tenfold), the fact Megatron looked like a stagmite and a wheelwell icicle fucked and had a baby.

This was not a fun movie for me. Characters where nonexistent, just a bunch of names running around. Special effects and comedy was straight out of 1999.

Story was just dumb... everyone slipped into flashbacks to give us so plot point that we could of figured out if you thought for one second. You know your in trouble when Marlon Waynes gave the best acting performance.

[quote name='crazytalkx']I enjoyed the movie, despite the shallowness of the plot, and terrible special effects. Fun movie overall.[/QUOTE]

The special effects in the beginning looked something out of a PS1 cutscene..but it got better towards the end and got into 360 type cutscenes :)

It was a damn good movie which I enjoyed a lot. Glad I saw it. Oh and on the way home I stopped at walmart to pick up the first season of gi joe on dvd!.

Nope. Transformers 2 was actually truly fun and enjoyable to watch, a masterpiece in my mind.

GI Joe was a mess of bad cgi, bad acting and dialogue, and it turning into a star wars ripoff at the end

[quote name='Microshock']Nope. Transformers 2 was actually truly fun and enjoyable to watch, a masterpiece in my mind.[/QUOTE]

Sarcasm?

Pretty soft opening for GI Joe... 56 million... probably won't make back it's 175 million dollar budget domestically.

Does Destro ever get silver in this?

[quote name='DestroVega']Sarcasm?

Pretty soft opening for GI Joe... 56 million... probably won't make back it's 175 million dollar budget domestically.

Does Destro ever get silver in this?[/QUOTE]

Umm no. Not sarcasm, Transformers is probably one of the best and most enjoyable movies ive ever seen, I thought GI Joe would have the same kind of fun, but theres only one truly fun action scene in the whole movie!

And yes at the end Destro gets a silver face

Not having really watched the animated series and only having one or two of the toys when I was a kid, I went into this with little to no expectations, and it still managed to be extremely disappointing. Even for a summer popcorn flick, this was shallow, stupid, and poorly acted. Channing Tatum needs to change careers and just be a judge on So You Think You Can Dance because if he went on So You Think You Can Act, he wouldn't make it very far. I haven't seen Transformers 2, so I can't compare it, but I didn't find it very fun at all. The only pluses: Ray Park kicking ass as Snake Eyes and Sienna Miller looking hot as hell as Baroness.

The same thing happened when Transformers came out. It was a shitty movie from top to bottom and everyone insisted it should get a free pass because of the "summer popcorn flick" label. A shitty movie is a shitty movie, regardless of the season.

At best this is a below average\average movie. It's better than TF 2(what isn't?) but still, nothing really stands out at all. At least TF 2 had the Optimus Prime forest fight. The characters just don't have any real personalities to them. I'm not a hardcore fan but I did love watching the cartoon when I was a kid and I don't remember the characters being this bland. Of course, this could just be bad memory on my part. Plot is nothing to talk about. The special effects really fluctuate. There's moment where it looks like a low budget movie.

My biggest problem with this movie is which the changes they made to some of the characters and I'm not talking about their looks. Snake Eye's mouth really did look stupid though. I won't spoil it with specifics but I really did not like what they did to Baroness and Cobra Commander. The Joes were too bland so there's not much to say about them.

The acting was ok except for the guy playing Duke. He really should not have had a lead role. His action parts are fine but in a few of the slow parts, he just awful. IMO, the best actor in the movie was Storm Shadow. I say this simply for the fact that his English wasn't that bad. It wasn't perfect but considering this guy is a foreign actor who probably doesn't even speak English, it could have been worse. His English was a lot better than Jackie Chan, Jet Li or Chow Yun Fat. I kind of wanted to say Snake Eyes but then he doesn't have much screen time nor is there a lot of acting done by the guy playing this part. Some prop must go to Sienna Miller too. For how much screen time she gets, there wasn't any moment that was cringe worthy. In fact, if you wanted to be objective, she might have been the best actor of the whole cast.

[quote name='Microshock']Umm no. Not sarcasm, Transformers is probably one of the best and most enjoyable movies ive ever seen, I thought GI Joe would have the same kind of fun, but theres only one truly fun action scene in the whole movie!

And yes at the end Destro gets a silver face[/QUOTE]

This is classic. :rofl:

I may go see it - but some folks whose taste I trust are the ones panning it above (having seen it, mind).

The trailers really scream "here's some shitshow paint-by-numbers action movie we're circumstantially going to call GI Joe."

I'm still perturbed that they cast a Korean man to play a Japanese character. Nothing like th' old "all orientals look alike" stereotype coming to play in 2009, isn't there?

I wasn't a fan of skinny bloke Destro either. I saw Iron Man for the first time the other week, and thought that the dude who captured Tony Stark early in the movie was a spitting image of what a live-action Destro should look like. But maybe the skinny scotsman pulls it off.

MV5BMTY1NTMyNjY5N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTUxMTg0Mg@@._V1._SX500_SY335_.jpg

Faran Tahir. FFS, look at that dude. DESTRO.

bread's done
Back