God of War:Ascension Out Now

[quote name='kiwimonster']I want to play as the giant fucking cyclops.[/QUOTE]

id like to use that bible guy and some of the diff types of skeletons. the skeletons always remind me of jason and the argonauts.

[quote name='camoor']A prequel is always going to be a little part letdown.

Kratos will fight the Roman gods on PS4. And lo what a good time that will be.[/QUOTE]

id like to see him throw down with the norse or african deities. of course if he goes up against thor im sure youd get to keep his hammer as a weapon.

[quote name='camoor']I think it's pretty retarded that Kratos killed Zeus before we even met Apollo, Artemis, Dionysius or Demeter. These were pretty major Greek gods.[/QUOTE]

yeah zeus should have been the very last to die and there are plenty of god/godesses and titans left he could kill but now its like whats the point? theyd probably all be too busy fighting over whats left of olympus.

a steady build up though the hierarchy of gods and goddesses would have been better.

Hmm interesting.

I'm slightly optimistic. I love that they are trying to do something fresh for the franchise by adding MP. A lot of games become too repetitive with multiple sequels and become stale. I have some concerns how my button mashing-guilty pleasure can pull off MP though. I certainly hope that Todd Papy does not fuck up this beloved franchise for me.

Wow so i just found out that two days ago on the Playstation blog they announced a collectors edition of GOW Ascension.

What you get...

- 8" Kratos Statue
- Steel Book Case
- Official game soundtrack (digital)
- PS3 Dynamic Theme
- PSN Avatar Pack
- Double XP points for Multiplayer
- DLC pass to download all future DLC releases at no extra cost

All this extra goodness for only 79.99, i cant even believe you get all this for a mere $20 dollars more. I am definitely getting the CE!

.... and pre ordered from amazon.com :D

Here is a nice video of people who got hands on the E3 demo. It sounds like they are making combat even better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVXNqBnL-KA

PS. can someone edit the topic title. Since its all together "War:Ascension(Kratos" when i searched for any God of War Ascension threads this didnt show up. :/ Maybe God of War: Ascension. also release date is march 12, 2013

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='thefurrypanda']and a pass for all the dlc to come out...it'll pay for itself with just that. Pre-ordered.[/QUOTE]

I dunno man... remember, they charged you $40 for essentially a cheap plastic box and a cheapo artbook with GoW3. For $20, they'll probably give us a shitty generic steelbook imitations, a tiny 2" figurine, and the DLC (which will only be nice if the MP is actually good) will likely end up being a few tiny levels, weapons and skins.

[quote name='fatmanforlife99']Well they already said the figure is 8 inches not 2. Dont know where you got that from.[/QUOTE]

That was a hell of a typo...:lol:

I have been using an old phone as a calculator all day, and as phones have their number pads in an opposite order than the number pad on a keyboard, when I pressed the spot for '8' on my keyboard number pad (thinking of my phone's number pad layout), it was actually a '2'.:p

[quote name='Thomas96']I wish this game was coming out this year.[/QUOTE]yeah but I'd rather them take there time & get it right + maybe the extra time will allow for a vita cross play option.

There is a game you can play on http://godofwar.playstation.com/rise-of-the-warrior/1/

if you play you can win special items, early access to the beta, and a free month of PS+

Even in the depths of hades -- i would remember who i am (right side) answer is ...
Megaera

Perhaps it is I who am prisoner (guy) answer is ...
Arrow

Perhaps it is I who am prisoner (tablet) answer is ...
The Giver

So, what did everyone think of the SP demo? I liked it but in some parts, it felt like the camera angle was zoomed out too much, making it difficult to see where Kratos was. I get that the developers want to show off the levels but geez...

I thought it felt too repetitive in most areas. Just waves after waves of the same enemies. The part where you are trapped in the box, i could hardly tell where i was half the time. And the end boss fight just felt like i had to do the same thing over and over. I love god of war, its the reason i bought a PS3, and i think Ascension will be great, but the demo was just a little repetitive.

Sweet, im getting the collectors edition. Do you know if the steel book case will be as tall as regular PS3 cases? From the view of inside the case it looks short, but from the outside it looks like a normal size dvd case.

im currently playing through GOW3 and im loving it! played the demo for ascension and i really like the new art style its really colorful and as always super fun to play, the GOW combat never gets old but there milking the story for everything its worth. this is essentially a prequel to a prequel if im not mistaken right? this takes place before chains of olympus which took place before GoW1.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Sweet, im getting the collectors edition. Do you know if the steel book case will be as tall as regular PS3 cases? From the view of inside the case it looks short, but from the outside it looks like a normal size dvd case.[/QUOTE]

I am not sure, it looks bigger than the nomal PS3 case.

[quote name='sublime90']im currently playing through GOW3 and im loving it! played the demo for ascension and i really like the new art style its really colorful and as always super fun to play, the GOW combat never gets old but there milking the story for everything its worth. this is essentially a prequel to a prequel if im not mistaken right? this takes place before chains of olympus which took place before GoW1.[/QUOTE]

Yes, it takes place before all other GOW games. 6 months after he kills his wife and daughter.

The collecter's edition is worth the extra 20 bucks for all of the extras you get.

I like that trailer, didn't know Ellie Goulding covered "Hanging On."

I agree that it feels like they are spinning their tires a bit, considering this is the third prequel in the series. I suppose that's not too out of the ordinary in Star Wars terms, but here it just doesn't feel like it is adding anything substantial to the story. I think I'm ready for them to take future GoW games in a new direction.

I'm still thinking if the CE is worth it. I don''t mind waiting for the game to be cheaper. I forget price trends on the GoW games...

The demo was pretty shockingly mediocre for me. I've played through the entire series outside of Ghost of Sparta (also platinumed 3) but this felt pretty stale for the first time. The grapple is a decent addition for crowd control, but the loss of framerate was really noticeable for me, especially coming off of Metal Gear Rising. The enemies and boss in the demo were just not that fun to fight and I actually did lose track of Kratos during the prison section. The sense of scale is nice, but it doesn't really matter when you're still fighting in a small box and has lost some of its "wow" factor after the Poseidon opening 3 years ago.

I might have been spoiled playing the kings of the genre the past few months with DMC 1, 3, Ninja Gaiden Plus and Revengeance, but will definitely be waiting for a substantial price drop on this.

[quote name='telemundus']The demo was pretty shockingly mediocre for me. I've played through the entire series outside of Ghost of Sparta (also platinumed 3) but this felt pretty stale for the first time. The grapple is a decent addition for crowd control, but the loss of framerate was really noticeable for me, especially coming off of Metal Gear Rising. The enemies and boss in the demo were just not that fun to fight and I actually did lose track of Kratos during the prison section. The sense of scale is nice, but it doesn't really matter when you're still fighting in a small box and has lost some of its "wow" factor after the Poseidon opening 3 years ago.

I might have been spoiled playing the kings of the genre the past few months with DMC 1, 3, Ninja Gaiden Plus and Revengeance, but will definitely be waiting for a substantial price drop on this.[/QUOTE]

Couldn't have said it better myself. Give a series 3 prequels and it begins to lose its luster. In Ascension, we'll be playing through a portion of Krotos' story that we've already been given the abridged version of... we'll again be exploring the central theme of vengeance with gameplay that's pretty identical to that of its predecessors. That just doesn't excite me at all and i really wish the folks at Sony Santa Monica had worked on a new IP instead. That said, it's still God of War and i'm sure i'll get around to playing it eventually.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Cool amazon added 10 dollars credit when you buy the regular or CE. :)[/QUOTE]
deal just gets better and better. So, really 70 for the collectors.

I picked up a standard copy on Wednesday from Kmart (the register allowed the early sale) and I'm just getting around to play it now (Saturday).

It includes the Last of Us Demo (not live yet) and two characters for PS All-Stars (Zeus and Isaac Clarke)

Edit: Also Sessler has a pretty retarded review up on youtube. I agree with some of his points but he uses this game to take a stance on video game violence against woman due to one scene and a trophy title "bros before hos"

Wow that extra $10 credit is awesome! Since I used the $5 off Facebook Promo they had a while ago on it, I am getting the Collectors Edition for basically $65.

[quote name='GBAstar']I picked up a standard copy on Wednesday from Kmart (the register allowed the early sale) and I'm just getting around to play it now (Saturday).

It includes the Last of Us Demo (not live yet) and two characters for PS All-Stars (Zeus and Isaac Clarke)

Edit: Also Sessler has a pretty retarded review up on youtube. I agree with some of his points but he uses this game to take a stance on video game violence against woman due to one scene and a trophy title "bros before hos"[/QUOTE]

Yeah, calling a woman a whore after stomping her face in and being rewarded for it, NO BIGGIE

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVgjdeX9ejs

Here's the controversial scene. The trophy name is referring to Orkos coming to the aid of Kratos rather than his mothers. There's nothing there about Kratos calling her a whore before/after killing her and
she doesn't even die.
[/QUOTE]

*sigh*

The trophy is calling them whores, not Kratos. And just because she gets up after he's done with her doesn't change the fact that he meant to kill her and thought he did, and then the game says "YEAH fuck THOSE WHORES, THANKS BRO" and gives you an award. The scene/Kratos' actions aren't really out of line with the GoW franchise; it's the title of the trophy that adds the misogynistic undertones and credits them to the player.

Imagine if Resident Evil 5 had an achievement called "Gone Lynching" for wiping out a Majini village.

The article itself isn't the greatest but seriously, read the comments: http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/Nate...s_on_GoW_Ascension_Trophy_Bros_Before_Hos.php

[quote name='MetalSlugger']*sigh*

The trophy is calling them whores, not Kratos. And just because she gets up after he's done with her doesn't change the fact that he meant to kill her and thought he did, and then the game says "YEAH fuck THOSE WHORES, THANKS BRO" and gives you an award. The scene/Kratos' actions aren't really out of line with the GoW franchise; it's the title of the trophy that adds the misogynistic undertones and credits them to the player.

Imagine if Resident Evil 5 had an achievement called "Gone Lynching" for wiping out a Majini village.

[/QUOTE]

This guy gets it.

The article itself isn't the greatest but seriously, read the comments: http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/Nate...s_on_GoW_Ascension_Trophy_Bros_Before_Hos.php[/QUOTE]

I must of missed it (I've played through the game already by the way) where the furies are called whores....

I do remember getting a trophy entitled "Bros before hoes" though

Not exactly on the same level as lynching taking place in Africa. Good try though.

The article itself isn't the greatest but seriously, read the comments: http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/Nate...s_on_GoW_Ascension_Trophy_Bros_Before_Hos.php[/QUOTE]
If you want to go completely off the deep end of reasonable discussion about this, then have fun. I've never seen anybody take the phrase "Bros before Hos" so seriously and literally when it's about a dude helping out another dude over a woman, usually a girlfriend, wife, or family member. I've never heard that phrase used in the sort of malicious way that you are suggesting that it's being used here.

The trophy is earned after the cutscene where Orkos helps Kratos escape, not after the fight where he's killed the Fury. If that was their intention, you'd get it right after the killing blow. It's not calling her a whore unless you want it to do that.

Im another one in the non plussed category. Same with Assassins Creed, I fear it'll be just more of the same but look a little neater and offer 2 or three minor gameplay additions.

I was just playing Tomb Raider and was awarded the trophy Widowmaker for killing 40 guys with a shotgun. The game specifically rewarded me for murdering human males in a certain way. If only they had named the trophy "Chicks before Dicks" we could have incessant bitching on both sides right now. All of the weird, angry, "feminist" rage over the smallest things in gaming lately is pretty disgusting, and gives actual feminism a bad name. It reminds me of all the crazy shit PETA does to make themselves a laughing stock, like chastising Mario Bros for the Tanuki suit.

bread's done
Back