God of War Collection PS3 (+FREE GOWIII DEMO!) 36.99 FSS + ECA DISC at Amazon

If this becomes a Big seller, I expect other publishers to re-release their PS2 games on the PS3 as well.
This can also turn into an easy way for Sony to avoid needing backward compatibility, AND get people to double dip on PS2 games that they want to play on the ps3.

in for one preorder.

These are the best games ever made for the PS2*. Upgraded? With trophies? Yes, please.

*my opinion, which in this instance is correct

[quote name='Hardware']I understand the concern. I was just playing GoW2 on a 32 LCD in progressive and widescreen mode on PS2. To be honest that was even good enough for me. It didn't blow me away, but it seriously was probably the best looking PS2 game I ever seen. I believe that's only 480P stretched so 720P should definitely be acceptable. Dec 31st? DAMN! Was hoping for it sooner. In for 1.[/QUOTE]

thanks... dunno that i'll jump on this immediately since I've played both but, might wait to grab it used to add to collection and replay at some point... sounds like the graphics should be alright especially with their enhancements

[quote name='sunnysky']If this becomes a Big seller, I expect other publishers to re-release their PS2 games on the PS3 as well.
This can also turn into an easy way for Sony to avoid needing backward compatibility, AND get people to double dip on PS2 games that they want to play on the ps3.[/QUOTE]
Ico and Shadow of Colossus come to mind... Will be getting this (already owned I and II on the PS2) I want the trophies :) FYI, there is a possibility that there are two Platinum trophies in this collection (according to the interview). the only drawback is that, there's no sub (most likely no, since the PS2 versions don't have them to start with, but we'll see).

Anyone have this show up in their gold Box yet? I have GOW3 pre-ordered, but don't think I've seen it show up there yet. Hope I didn't miss it. It seems like if it something shows up once it's likely not to again.

Cool deal.

Anyway you know what I hate about this thread? No less than a couple of weeks ago, if even that long, someone started an Amazon pre-order deal thread and it was handily shunned by people because the 'deals weren't significant enough to have it's on thread. Discounts were too little'.

Now look what we have here.... we got some hypocrites running around that's for sure. With those people it wasn't about how big the discount was but actually, how popular the game is. I'm gonna go give that old thread a much needed boost.

[quote name='2&2']Anyone have this show up in their gold Box yet? I have GOW3 pre-ordered, but don't think I've seen it show up there yet. Hope I didn't miss it. It seems like if it something shows up once it's likely not to again.[/QUOTE]
Yes, it was added Saturday to the quick picks list and I got it on Sunday. Read the FAQ in my sig for some pointers if you like.

[quote name='FurryCurry']Cool deal.

Anyway you know what I hate about this thread? No less than a couple of weeks ago, if even that long, someone started an Amazon pre-order deal thread and it was handily shunned by people because the 'deals weren't significant enough to have it's on thread. Discounts were too little'.

Now look what we have here.... we got some hypocrites running around that's for sure. With those people it wasn't about how big the discount was but actually, how popular the game is. I'm gonna go give that old thread a much needed boost.[/QUOTE]
In all honesty, neither of the threads are needed, but since this technically is a deal people use it as an excuse to post about the game. It's silly, but this thread is more popular than the thread I made when the collection was first announced simply because it's in a less popular forum.

[quote name='dcm1602']I guess all the old movies from the 70s/80s/90s that are now on bluray must have been originally made in 1080p also ?[/QUOTE]

Actually film has a much higher resolution the problem is it degrades over time and dust and grime give it those flaws. Honestly god of war 1 and 2 in 720 p make me happy but 3 better be in 1080p or i am going to be pissed.

[quote name='z3razerviper']Actually film has a much higher resolution the problem is it degrades over time and dust and grime give it those flaws. Honestly god of war 1 and 2 in 720 p make me happy but 3 better be in 1080p or i am going to be pissed.[/QUOTE]

I honestly can't tell that much of a difference between 720p and 1080p, and I know I'm not alone in that. Just for reference I have a 42" 1080p TV, and I sit about 10ft away when I play. Besides, 720p games can still look really good, like Uncharted, Metal Gear Solid 4, and Killzone 2 which all run natively in 720p and look amazing. The only 1080p game I have is Ninja Gaiden Sigma, and yes that looks great, but it's not like if a game is 720p it looks crap.

1080P is more noticeable (compared to 720P) on displays above 60 inches. If you used a projector, for example, it'd be quite a difference.

With that said, z7rhrhr is probably going to be disappointed. Running a game at that resolution takes horsepower, so the environments or effects have to take a hit. I doubt they're going to give up detail that everyone could see just to say that God of War 3 looks extra-sharp on displays that hardly anybody can afford.

How the fuck do people get cool stuff in their gold box? Mine's never anything but watches, razors, tools, and stupid shit.

Why aren't they offering a massive discount on this for owners of the PS2 versions? This is ridiculous.

These aren't NEW games. They're upscaled versions of existing games. It took a LITTLE work to upscale their textures, but when compared to MAKING the games to begin with?

They really ought to be providing a way to discount this to people who already bought the games.

Replacing textures is NOT a big job, especially when they more than likely still have the original high-res textures (which would have had to be down-sampled for use in the PS2 games). If you don't believe that, I've got a bridge to sell you.

In the end, this is just another way to squeeze more money out of the consumer, and still look like a benevolent big-brother for providing you with high-res graphics.

[quote name='sanderdaniels81']Why aren't they offering a massive discount on this for owners of the PS2 versions? This is ridiculous.

These aren't NEW games. They're upscaled versions of existing games. It took a LITTLE work to upscale their textures, but when compared to MAKING the games to begin with?

They really ought to be providing a way to discount this to people who already bought the games.

Replacing textures is NOT a big job, especially when they more than likely still have the original high-res textures (which would have had to be down-sampled for use in the PS2 games). If you don't believe that, I've got a bridge to sell you.

In the end, this is just another way to squeeze more money out of the consumer, and still look like a benevolent big-brother for providing you with high-res graphics.[/QUOTE]
Or it's a way to get a ps2 game onto the ps3, and get people who never played god of war hyped up to play god of war 3.

Well, that sucks, just picked these up for PS2 to play on my PS3, I wonder how much better they will look, that is tempting.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']How the fuck do people get cool stuff in their gold box? Mine's never anything but watches, razors, tools, and stupid shit.[/QUOTE]
Might I humbly suggest you read my FAQ? :)

Or it's a way to get a ps2 game onto the ps3, and get people who never played god of war hyped up to play god of war 3.

Perhaps, but once again this comes back to the point that they should be providing a HUGE discount for people who've already purchased the PS2 versions.
(As in, I should only have to pay 10 bucks for an upscaled version of two games that I've already paid for).

[quote name='sanderdaniels81']Perhaps, but once again this comes back to the point that they should be providing a HUGE discount for people who've already purchased the PS2 versions.
(As in, I should only have to pay 10 bucks for an upscaled version of two games that I've already paid for).[/QUOTE]

Or more like no one cares about you? I can't believe you are complaining when the compilation is already being sold for cheap. You are not their target audience. You already owned the games and dont' want to re-buy it so good for you. This collection is for those who haven't played it or don't mind paying for the games all over again.

Your complaints are just about as valid as someone complaining that they should personally receive a discount on select Blu Rays because they already own the DVD version of the movie.

I hear this game have Trophies!!! I love Trophies!!! give me Trophies and I will give you my Social Security # and Credit Card info

[quote name='hmbtnguy'] Your complaints are just about as valid as someone complaining that they should personally receive a discount on select Blu Rays because they already own the DVD version of the movie.[/QUOTE]

Actually, a lot of blu-rays have rebates for owners of the dvd version. Take Braveheart and Gladiator for example.

[quote name='rpnguyen']Actually, a lot of blu-rays have rebates for owners of the dvd version. Take Braveheart and Gladiator for example.[/QUOTE]

Yes I know, but those are rare. What he is asking is to get a compilation disc for $10 which is absolutely absurd. Sure it'd be a nice bonus to have the rebate, but it's not something to complain about as a rebate is a gift and not the norm.

Your complaints are just about as valid as someone complaining that they should personally receive a discount on select Blu Rays because they already own the DVD version of the movie.

Actually that's a legitimate complaint. The media companies claim that you are buying the right to view the IP, NOT the actual media. But when they RE-CHARGE you for an upscaled version of IP you've already paid to watch, this raises some issues over whether they're able to legitimately say it's the right to view the IP that you paid for.

Why? Because the only key differences between the two versions they're charging you for are the RESOLUTION and the MEDIA. Does changing the resolution make it an entirely new IP? I think you'd find a great majority who don't think it does.

In that case, the only difference is the MEDIA on which they're selling it, which creates a strong case for the fact that it's the MEDIA they're charging you for, not the right to view the IP.

If that were the case, then you'd be in a position to make as many copies as you want.

They need to decide what they're actually charging you for. The right to view the IP or the actual media.

Until they do, I think you'll find there are plenty of people like me who are fed up with RE-BUYING the SAME MOVIES AND GAMES because of a change of platform or media.

This should NOT be the norm.

Paying a LITTLE bit for an upgrade in resolution is understandable, but charging full price for previous purchasers is just stupid and infuriating.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you already have or played the previous versions and don't think this is fair, than don't buy it. Just because you bought the PS2 version of the game doesn't entitle you to anything but what you paid for at the time...:roll:

[quote name='Vinny']If you already have or played the previous versions and don't think this is fair, than don't buy it. Just because you bought the PS2 version of the game doesn't entitle you to anything but what you paid for at the time...:roll:[/QUOTE]
But but but... what can I whine about on the Internets then?!

Your paying for updated textures and TROPHIES and a PS2 game (for those that have no Backward Compatibility) ... did I say Trophie support - hey its $30ish bucks!

[quote name='sanderdaniels81']
Until they do, I think you'll find there are plenty of people like me who are fed up with RE-BUYING the SAME MOVIES AND GAMES because of a change of platform or media.
[/QUOTE]

No one is telling you to rebuy the games. If you want to have the convenience of not plugging in a console you no longer use, then by all means rebuy it.

When you buy a game or movie, you are buying it for that specific console and format. What you are asking for is that if you buy a game for the PS3, you should then be entitled to get that same game for all other platforms current and future for free. Considering that these old titles are released with upgrades and often times additional content and special features, they cannot be considered the same exact IP.

Am I against the idea of buying the license and having the ability to play it on every platform imaginable? Heavens no. But these companies are in a business. If that were the case they would never release old games and movies because there would be very little profit made since everyone with the old versions can upgrade. Hence we would no longer get these nice upgrades.

I have both original PS2 games, love them and cant wait to play them again in High Def. I am about to use the gold box trick and order it. I think its worth it seeing as how they are great games. Anyone who complains should take an economics class or a dose of reality. If people will pay for it, someone will charge for it. Such is life. No one is entitled to anything.

Thanks OP for the heads up.

Let me ask you something. Why do companies pursue legal action against the people who host ROMs for older systems, which are no longer manufactured?

If you paid for the game and still have it, but can't obtain a working system on which to play said game, is it wrong for you to download a ROM for that game and play it on an emulator?

What if the company has RE-RELEASED that SAME game on a current gen platform? They'll tell you that your only legal route is to buy the game for a current system, in order to be a law-abiding citizen. If you are using emulators to play ROMs of games you've LEGITIMATELY PURCHASED, they claim you're breaking the law, and are a "bad guy".

If they're going to try to RE-SELL THE SAME GAME OVER AND OVER on different platforms, then they'd damn well better drop the laws against emulation for games you've already purchased.

[quote name='bleak']Down to $34.99... my order has yet to price adjust...[/QUOTE]
Does anyone have proof of this or got the markdown? I'm about to raise hell on Amazon for not updating my order and violating their pre-order price guarantee but since I can't verify it myself I'd like to have proof first.

[quote name='rpnguyen']I honestly can't tell that much of a difference between 720p and 1080p, and I know I'm not alone in that. Just for reference I have a 42" 1080p TV, and I sit about 10ft away when I play. Besides, 720p games can still look really good, like Uncharted, Metal Gear Solid 4, and Killzone 2 which all run natively in 720p and look amazing. The only 1080p game I have is Ninja Gaiden Sigma, and yes that looks great, but it's not like if a game is 720p it looks crap.[/QUOTE]

On my 40 inch you can really tell the difference in deadspace. Looks MUCH better in 1080p.

So now Sony is going to start re-releasing PS2 games on BR discs to further suck money out of people, rather than allowing a BC patch for original copies of the PS2 games to work on PS3's?

Good going. I'll wait till this hits clearance in 6 months and buy it for what it's worth, which to me is about $5 at most. I played both games when they were out on PS2 and while they were pretty damn good, I'm not about to rebuy them on some fuckin' BR disc to make Sony further money.

[quote name='z3razerviper']On my 40 inch you can really tell the difference in deadspace. Looks MUCH better in 1080p.[/QUOTE]
Depends largely on the game. For instance, I didn't find that GTA 4 looked much better in 1080p, but it gave a larger viewing area which was nice. On the other hand, MGS 4 made a bigger visual difference in 1080p.

Remember that it's 1280x720 resolution (probably smaller than the computer monitor's resolution that looking at right now) versus 1920x1080 resolution (probably better resolution than your monitor). This is a pretty ridiculous jump in number of pixels (about 920,000 vs over 2 million). This is the basis for why one title can make a big difference in 1080p where another makes very little: It depends on texture quality, models, and especially these in comparison to whatever HUD is used. Those extra pixels may or may not show you any additional detail depending on what's actually being shown, and most games are intended to look fantastic at 720p, so 1080p takes a back seat and gets a minor boost.

Certain Blu-ray movies versus their DVD counterparts can really show this, especially in still or slow-moving shots where the cameraman got the focus just right. Facial shots and aerial shots are good examples. On the other hand, normal cinematography won't really impress you visually in Blu-ray vs DVD.

EDIT: Just as an extra tidbit, take another look at that "over 2 million pixels" figure above. You know 2 megapixel still cameras, right? Quality ones, not your camera phone. It's one of those nearly 30 times per second. That's a lot of effing detail.

EDIT 2:
Oh, and PS2 owners may want to try a component video cable (Red, blue, green cables + red and white audio) instead of the usual composite (yellow, red, white) if they're noticing crappy visuals on their HDTV. Composite cables are a surprisingly poor method of picture transmission, but this isn't widely known. You can get the component cable for cheap ($5-ish) from places like Monoprice (but that particular site has high shipping, so find something else to order, like speaker wire).

EDIT 3: ... Actually I think the PS3 comes with one that might work with the PS2.

Last edited by a moderator:
And thus we see the reason that Sony got rid of BC...

Makes it harder to re-sell the "enhanced" editions of the games if people can just play the PS2 version with auto-upscaling (and auto-upscaling can do an EXCELLENT job on its own of enhancing the resolution, even without hi-res textures - especially when it's only going up to 720p).

What's next, the Metal Gear upscaled enhanced PS3 compilation?

WAHhh I wanna be a Whiner too, WHAAA I wanna trade in my PS2 and pay 10 dollars to get a PS3 WHAAA not fair WHAAA

[quote name='Kandal']WAHhh I wanna be a Whiner too, WHAAA I wanna trade in my PS2 and pay 10 dollars to get a PS3 WHAAA not fair WHAAA[/QUOTE]

Because someone has a different opinion of something makes them a whiner? :roll:

Oh wait...I forgot that Sony is infallible and can do no wrong. Sorry. Lemme bow out of this thread and let the 'thank you Sony' praise-a-thon continue.

Indeed. I can't help but laugh at the people who are okay with practices like charging people for CLOTHING in a game, and other ridiculously moronic DLC nonsense that took 30 seconds for someone to make.

You're nothing more than a wallet to big companies like this. Thus the reason you see things like "limited installations" DRM nonsense.

They don't trust you. They don't like you. They like your money, and if you don't make demands of THEM, they'll make demands of YOU with policies like this - or charging you extra money for the content that should have been included with the original game in the first place.

Status Quo? Hell no.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']So now Sony is going to start re-releasing PS2 games on BR discs to further suck money out of people, rather than allowing a BC patch for original copies of the PS2 games to work on PS3's?

Good going. I'll wait till this hits clearance in 6 months and buy it for what it's worth, which to me is about $5 at most. I played both games when they were out on PS2 and while they were pretty damn good, I'm not about to rebuy them on some fuckin' BR disc to make Sony further money.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, definitely a shrewd business move on their part, especially since it means they can still move PS2 units. One downside (if this takes off) is it will kill collector's value on sleeper hit, rare games (see MvC2). Otherwise, it's great for people who missed out or otherwise wouldn't revisit older games.

[quote name='Jodou']Does anyone have proof of this or got the markdown? I'm about to raise hell on Amazon for not updating my order and violating their pre-order price guarantee but since I can't verify it myself I'd like to have proof first.[/QUOTE]

I can't verify the price... but I will say that I've had things preordered and the price drop for an hour or 2 and I still the the price change on my preorder automatically... it can take up to 24 hours tho... so I don't think you have to worry quite yet...

[quote name='Afflicted']I can't verify the price... but I will say that I've had things preordered and the price drop for an hour or 2 and I still the the price change on my preorder automatically... it can take up to 24 hours tho... so I don't think you have to worry quite yet...[/QUOTE]
Oh, that's right. Good call.

Obviously, this is not a deal for some, but for God of War fans? This is a big plus! All of I and II are on one disc and even the bonus contents on II are on it :) Best of all, it's in HD and with trophy supports... So, to say that it's a rip off is a totally understatement. As a gamer (even say, i can't afford it), i rejoice with this new idea, i.e. releasing last gen's game in HD. This is something you can't simply compare to films, because in order for the games to work, the games themselves have to be "coded" for HD (and obviously, some tweaking is required).

If with BC, you only get the upscaled version and NO trophies... Think about this, do we have something like this on the Xbox platform? You know, Xbox games converted to HD for the 360 and come with achievements?

It's a new direction (milking money, yes, but look at the different version of the movies we see now a day... Extended Edtion, Unrated Edition etc...). Honestly, for video games, the most you probably see is two editions (greatest hits or platinums don't really count, but there are exceptions, like DMC GH, which is slightly superior than the original version).

Again, stop bitching and just enjoy this. It's not the same as BC, because it's a superior version (provided that they didn't screw it up :lol: but again, from the interview, some of the guys doing this converstion project were on the original GoW II project, so they know what's important and what's not).

I'm still seeing $36.99, not $34.99 :(

[quote name='Serpentor']Obviously, this is not a deal for some, but for God of War fans? This is a big plus! All of I and II are on one disc and even the bonus contents on II are on it :) Best of all, it's in HD and with trophy supports... So, to say that it's a rip off is a totally understatement. As a gamer (even say, i can't afford it), i rejoice with this new idea, i.e. releasing last gen's game in HD. This is something you can't simply compare to films, because in order for the games to work, the games themselves have to be "coded" for HD (and obviously, some tweaking is required).

If with BC, you only get the upscaled version and NO trophies... Think about this, do we have something like this on the Xbox platform? You know, Xbox games converted to HD for the 360 and come with achievements?

It's a new direction (milking money, yes, but look at the different version of the movies we see now a day... Extended Edtion, Unrated Edition etc...). Honestly, for video games, the most you probably see is two editions (greatest hits or platinums don't really count, but there are exceptions, like DMC GH, which is slightly superior than the original version).

Again, stop bitching and just enjoy this. It's not the same as BC, because it's a superior version (provided that they didn't screw it up :lol: but again, from the interview, some of the guys doing this converstion project were on the original GoW II project, so they know what's important and what's not).

I'm still seeing $36.99, not $34.99 :([/QUOTE]

Trophies suck and I don't have an HDtv, so why not just allow for a patch for those who already have the game to download so we can play the normal disc versions of these games we have already?

As for being a fan of the series, I was up till the cliffhanger ending of part 2. Now, when/if part 3 comes out, I'm waiting till either a friend buys it and I can borrow it for a week or it drops to a clearance price of $20 or less.

I'm actually surprised they're not charging more for this. It seems like a good deal to me. I mean, I could easily get 20 bones for my PS2 versions, then we are talking like 15 bucks to pre-order (Even less if you get it used later). I think updated HD visuals, both games conveniently placed on one disc, and trophy support is well worth the ~15.00 premium.

[quote name='Serpentor']
I'm still seeing $36.99, not $34.99 :([/QUOTE]

I think it was $34.99 for only a short time. But maybe it'll go back down again at some point?

bread's done
Back