FIRST REVIEW -- IGN: 9.5

http://psp.ign.com/articles/112/1129918p1.html

Here's the E3 trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K46Ad_G1XaE

And Gameplay:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aiUidGqWXM

IGN has it all:

[quote name='IGN']

May 4, 2010 - The God of War teaser website, Spartans Stand Tall, has, well, ended and a new PSP title has been revealed. God of War: Ghost of Sparta sees Kratos continue his adventure on Sony's handheld later this year.

God of War: Ghost of Sparta picks up after the events in God of War when Kratos ascends to power as a god. Developed by Ready at Dawn, the studio who brought you God of War: Chains of Olympus for PSP in 2008, the new game will be released in 2010.

"Excitement for the God of War franchise is at an all-time high and we're thrilled to continue that momentum with God of War: Ghost of Sparta," said Scott A. Steinberg, vice president, product marketing, SCEA. "This new adventure will showcase Kratos on PSP like never before in an experience that fans and newcomers can enjoy on the go, anytime, anywhere."

Not much else was revealed about the game. Eric Levine, SCEA PR Manager, noted on the official PlayStation Blog the story would reveal "the origins of lost worlds and finally answer long-awaited questions about Kratos' tattoo, scar, and family."

Expect to hear more about this title at E3 next month.

[/QUOTE]

Between this and Metal Gear Solid, 2010 is shaping up to be a good year for the PSP.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Sony blog announcement has a bit more info on the game:

God of War fans –

I’m pleased to share some exciting news involving our favorite Spartan warrior. Fresh off his incredible run in God of War III, Kratos will be coming back to PSP and PSPgo in God of War: Ghost of Sparta!

The last time we saw Kratos on the portable platform was in God of War: Chains of Olympus, a game that coupled stunning visuals with stellar gameplay and is still the highest rated PSP title of all-time on Metacritic.com. So what can you expect this time?

First of all, it’s developed by Ready At Dawn Studios, in close collaboration with SCEA’s Santa Monica Studio, so we have the same talented team that brought you Chains of Olympus — they know the franchise and know what it takes to create an amazing game. I can also tell you from first-hand experience that we are pushing the limits of what PSP can do with state-of-the-art visual technologies, higher resolution environments, and greater depths of scale. We’re also providing over 25% more gameplay, an improved weapon system, and new magical powers — all enjoyed anytime, anywhere.

Here are a few screens to give you a taste of the action…

As for the storyline, this new adventure will serve as a prequel of sorts, picking up where God of War left off. Ghost of Sparta tells the story of Kratos’ ascension to power as the God of War. In his quest to rid the nightmares that haunt him, Kratos must face his dark past to prove his worthiness to the Gods — a journey that will reveal the origins of lost worlds and finally answer long-awaited questions about Kratos’ tattoo, scar, and family.

Well, that’s all I can tell you right now, but we’ll have plenty more to share as we move closer to E3 and our release later this year, so stay tuned for more God of War: Ghost of Sparta news and be sure to keep an eye on SpartansStandTall.com and http://forums.godofwar.com for updates.
I still need to pick up the first PSP game, but I'm looking forward to see Ready at Dawn back on the PSP.

The first game was phenomenal and really a gem/stand out for the PSP. I really can't wait for this one. I love the title. It really sounds intriguing.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']The first game was phenomenal and really a gem/stand out for the PSP. I really can't wait for this one. I love the title. It really sounds intriguing.[/QUOTE]

I agree. For bringing a console series to a handheld, I thought they did a great job overall. I can't wait to pick this up, though I don't know if it will be at launch, or to wait for a $20 price point.

Thank God Ready at Dawn is working on it! I loved Chains and I never felt like they had cut a ton of stuff to put it PSP. Should be quality.

This is great news, I just hope try to add to some longevity to it this time. GoW is one of the best games on PSP but I wouldn't pay $40 for it.

[quote name='panzerfaust']This is great news, I just hope try to add to some longevity to it this time. GoW is one of the best games on PSP but I wouldn't pay $40 for it.[/QUOTE]

I'm the exact opposite here. I'd easily pay $40 for a good PSP game, with extra emphasis on the "good" part.

Chains may have been short but it was well worth the $40. I'm definitely up for this game, $40 or not.

The game looks great. I'm really intrigued as to why it's called the Ghost of Sparta... I know that's Kratos' nickname but I wonder how it relates to the game.

Well it's just that I never go back to these types of games after finishing them. So 7-8 hours is hardly worth $40 to me.

It depends on how much you love the game though I suppose. I paid full for Shadow of the Colossus because it was an experience that I'd never forget, even if it was only 8 hours long and I've only played it once -- where as God of War games are just really fun hack-n-slash games. The stories are really cool but the games don't draw me in enough for me to be itching to drop money on the next installment.

[quote name='panzerfaust']This is great news, I just hope try to add to some longevity to it this time. GoW is one of the best games on PSP but I wouldn't pay $40 for it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it was a bit too short.

[quote name='Yanksfan']I agree. For bringing a console series to a handheld, I thought they did a great job overall. I can't wait to pick this up, though I don't know if it will be at launch, or to wait for a $20 price point.[/QUOTE]

I wish I could buy any game at release, but I really can't purchase any game, let alone one at release. I've got a big enough backlog from this and the past generation to tide me over, though, which is good. I need to build some bankroll and make some money back. I'll probably get this around $20.

Sounds great, but I don't play my PSP much now. I wish these God of War prequels were ported to PS2.

I've played all the God of Wars, except for the GoW III since I don't own a PS3. I love the gameplay, movies, and story.. It is my favorite, that's why I'm so excited for this to come out. I'll purchase it immediately, but I'm hoping it has a long story. But of course quality comes first, I hope it's as good or better than the ones I played.
o.gif

Loved the first one, I just hope this one is actually more than a few hours long and has better bosses in it. And what the hell was with Sony just showing such a crappy clip with no game play at the press conference?

[quote name='KillerRamen']Amazon has a Ghost of Sparta Entertainment Pack listed, but no other information.

http://www.amazon.com/PSP-Limited-G..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1NFCNZ6MKJQ43XWD7VAN[/QUOTE]

Hmmm a new PSP system?

Ahh just did a search and it looks like just a red/black combo PSP system. Not close to as cool as the first one.
http://www.gamingbits.com/content/view/8071/1/

I just seen this video on gametrailers, a bit of a demo.

http://www.gametrailers.com/user-movie/ghost-of-sparta-developer/345851

Here's another video of Kratos beating the holy crap out of King Midas that I posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwRCJhhLBu4

It looks cool, but the length of the first one and the replay value make me question a full MSRP purchase on this.

Just posted the first look at the new PSP on our site. Here's a quick pic:

blackredangelback2.jpg

Note: no silk-screened image of Kratos this time around. To me that might be a minus, but I guess some people would buy this for the color scheme alone and not buy it because it has his mug on it, but who knows?

LOL at that King Midas clip. Looks great. Played the demo of COO but haven't opened the package for the full game yet. Need to get through the GoW collection first I think.

I'm glad that they didn't piecemeal the pre-order stuff to different retailers. I'm interested in the PSP bundle since it includes Chains of Olympus and Ghost of Sparta and I'm in the market for a new PSP, though the color scheme is a bit unappealing.

Edit: The PSN version of Ghost of Sparta comes with all of the pre-order DLC if you buy it the week it comes out.

i have to admit thats a pretty sick package they have there. some skins, theme, soundtrack and commentary track! i was already planning on getting this game day 1 and this just solidifies it. i still have to beat COO, im stuck on the pirate ship boss he keeps smackin me up.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Pretty sweet pre order bonuses. Seen it on amazon, not yet up at gamestop.

preorder.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I think it's up on GS now. Anyway, the pre-order bonuses are same across retailers. The bonuses are all download codes, so they're not packed in the game. The GoS PSP bundle will have the same bonuses too (at least from Amazon).

Guess I'll need to preorder this. I trust them when they say it's as long as Gow1-3. So the PSP bundle includes CoO too?! Damn, now I wish I waited. Oh well, I'm sure the BBS bundle will serve me good.

Heads up! I got an email today from playstation network with a code to download the ghost of sparta demo. So check your email you might be lucky.
The email says

Congratulations Spartan Army Member!
You have been granted the God of War(R):
Ghost of Sparta Demo

===================================

Congratulations! You have been selected to participate in
the God of War: Ghost of Sparta Demo experience.
Promotion code is valid till 11/02/2010

Not sure if this has anything to do with you getting platinum in GOW3, and revealing the site.

I got a code in my e-mail today for the demo. Only problem is that I don't have a PSP. So, PM me if you want the code. Maybe you can throw a code my way sometime in return.

EDIT: Someone PM'd me and I've given out the code.

[quote name='jh6269']I got a code in my e-mail today for the demo. Only problem is that I don't have a PSP. So, PM me if you want the code. Maybe you can throw a code my way sometime in return.[/QUOTE]

Someone told me you could play it on PSP or PS3, though im not sure that is correct. Maybe he just meant you could redeem it on either system.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Someone told me you could play it on PSP or PS3, though im not sure that is correct. Maybe he just meant you could redeem it on either system.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm, well, when you use your code, let me know. I still don't know if I should bother playing it b/c I'm probably not going to buy a PSP until I find out if the PSP 2 is coming soon. That GoW themed PSP bundle looks pretty darned sweet, but I just don't have $200 to spend on a system right now...

[quote name='jh6269']Hmmm, well, when you use your code, let me know. I still don't know if I should bother playing it b/c I'm probably not going to buy a PSP until I find out if the PSP 2 is coming soon. That GoW themed PSP bundle looks pretty darned sweet, but I just don't have $200 to spend on a system right now...[/QUOTE]

Eh i read on the god of war forums you can only play it on PSP. I wont be playing it till maybe monday.

jh6269 gave me a demo code. Awesome game... I mean, the demo is LONG. I hope the overall length of the game is at least double the first, but this will def. be a day one purchase for me.

I might have to give my code away, the person that has the PSP i was going to use this on only has a 32mb memory card, and i read its 93mb. I dont feel like buying a memory card, when ive already pre ordered the whole game. Just wish there was a way for me to play it. :(

With Ghost of Sparta and VC2, I am really thinking about investing in one of the newer PSPs which can hook up to a TV... I hate playing on the PSP when I'm not on the go (which I rarely am these days).

[quote name='Vinny']With Ghost of Sparta and VC2, I am really thinking about investing in one of the newer PSPs which can hook up to a TV... I hate playing on the PSP when I'm not on the go (which I rarely am these days).[/QUOTE]

Isn't that just the PSP Go? I thought the Go is the only one that has Blutooth... If so, that sucks because if the 3000 had Bluetooth, I'd seriously consider buying one. One thing I like about the Go is that you can hook it up to your TV and sync a DS3 up to it an play it on your TV.

I really hope Sony announces a PSP 2 during TGS. I really want to play some of these games, but I don't want to get burned if they announce a new model in a month or two.

[quote name='jh6269']Isn't that just the PSP Go? I thought the Go is the only one that has Blutooth... If so, that sucks because if the 3000 had Bluetooth, I'd seriously consider buying one. One thing I like about the Go is that you can hook it up to your TV and sync a DS3 up to it an play it on your TV.

I really hope Sony announces a PSP 2 during TGS. I really want to play some of these games, but I don't want to get burned if they announce a new model in a month or two.[/QUOTE]

The PSP 2000 and 3000 can hook up to TVs using composite or component using a special cable. I have the original PSP 1000 so I can't do it.

I don't know how the Go works but a lot of games aren't even available on the PSN so there's no way to play them on the Go.

[quote name='Vinny']The PSP 2000 and 3000 can hook up to TVs using composite or component using a special cable. I have the original PSP 1000 so I can't do it.

I don't know how the Go works but a lot of games aren't even available on the PSN so there's no way to play them on the Go.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's the only thing keeping me from getting a PSP Go--is that not all games are available on PSN. Otherwise, it'd be great to pair a DS3 up to your Go and play it on your TV, just like a console game.

I was all for getting the component cables to play on my TV... till I heard more about them. Games only fill the middle of the screen, with 4-way letterboxing. It's not a very large portion of the screen either. Only UMD movies fill the screen. It looks like this, just instead of the glass effect, it's solid black.

[youtube]_6JAVqmpDfY[/youtube]

just played the demo and whewwww the game looks awesome and plays like COO which is also awesome. i like the spartan shield and spear he has also. i need to really finish chains of olympus now. i put that on the back burner for way to long.

Finally got play the demo. It was great... I love the spear and shield since it's vastly different than any GoW weapon yet.

This looks amazing. I love Chains but I did find it a little short, I beat in only a couple of hours. I hope that they make this one a little more challenging.

[quote name='LoneLaser']This looks amazing. I love Chains but I did find it a little short, I beat in only a couple of hours. I hope that they make this one a little more challenging.[/QUOTE]

ReadyAtDawn says it'll be as long as 1-3, so 8-10 hours. Let's hope so, and that they don't pull any dick moves to increase the length and do it legitimately. I trust R@D will keep it legit, tho.

Any news on what the PSP Bundle's PSP will look like?
On amazon it says the art might change so I was just wonder what it'll look like when it comes close to the release.
I'm wondering if they'll will be an image on the back of the psp.

bread's done
Back