God of War III -- Gen. Discussion

OK ive been playing GOW1 and GOW2 to get myself better acquainted with the story all over again. Now the Kratos story line is pretty easy to follow. But im not really sure about the whole Titants vs Gods story/ The great war story. Or better yet, Titans and Gods roles in greek mythology altogether. I know it kind of talked about the titans vs gods story in GOW2 (cronus and zues). Is there a good site that i can read that would help me better understand this, and where theses two groups of people stand in Greek Mythology, but not steer me away from the god of war story? Also i havent played chains of olympus yet, i dont know if that talks more about the titans vs gods story or not.

Just played the demo and have to admit I was disappointed. It seems like a solid game and I'm sure there will be some fancy bosses and more of the action the fans know and love -- but I've played this game years ago, and I can't do it again.

Really unhappy with hack-n-slash games this gen -- developers don't seem to be trying very hard to push them to a new level.

Hope you guys enjoy it though.

Here's the midnight store opening for Best Buy.

And just so there's no confusion, you'll want to show up on Monday night, March 15, and wait for the clock to strike 12 midnight — Tuesday, March 16.

Best Buy

ALABAMA
Hoover
Oxford

ARIZONA
Casa Grande
Flagstaff
Goodyear
Paradise Valley
Thunderbird Rd
Tucson
Yuma

CALIFORNIA
Arden Fair
Auburn
Beaumont
Chino Hills
Citrus Heights
Clovis
Compton
Corona
Culver City
Culver City Westfield
East Orange
Elk Grove
Fairfield
Folsom
Fresno
Fullerton
Irvine
Mission Viejo
Natomas
Northridge
Otay Ranch
Pasadena
Pleasant Hill
Redding
Roseville
Santa Clarita
Santana Row
Torrance
Tracy
Tustin
Vacaville
Victorville
Westwood
Woodland
Woodland Hills

COLORADO
Grand Junction
Parker
Westminster

CONNECTICUT
West Hartford

DELAWARE
Christiana
Wilmington

FLORIDA
Clearwater
Daytona Beach
Fort Myers
Gainesville
Jacksonville
Jensen Beach
Millenia Mall
N. Palm Beach
Orange Park
Pembroke Pines
Winter Garden

GEORGIA
Canton
Gainesville
Gwinnett

ILLINOIS
Addison
Bolingbrook
Butterfield Road
Carbondale
Champaign
Deerfield
Evanston
Harlem and Irving
Mundelein
N. Avenue
Orland Park
Oswego
Rockford
Springfield
Tinley Park

INDIANA
Apple Glen Cross
Bloomington
Valparaiso

IOWA
Cedar Rapids
Davenport
Des Moines II

KANSAS
Olathe

LOUISIANA
Lafayette
Veterans Blvd.

MAINE
Portland

MARYLAND
Germantown

MASSACHUSETTS
Cambridge

MICHIGAN
Chesterfield
Farmington Hills
Flint
Grand Rapids II
Gratiot
Rochester Hills
Saginaw

MINNESOTA
Apple Valley
Blaine
Maple Grove
Rochester South
Shakopee

MISSOURI
Battlefield
Columbia
Mid Rivers Mall
Watson Road

MISSISSIPPI
Tupelo

MONTANA
Billings
Missoula

NEVADA
Carson Valley
Centennial
Maryland Parkway
Reno
Sparks
Summerlin

NEW HAMPSHIRE
Nashua

NEW JERSEY
Eatontown
Manalapan

NEW MEXICO
Santa Fe
W. Albuquerque II

NEW YORK
Clarence
Hartsdale
Riverhead
Union Square

NORTH CAROLINA
Asheville
Carolina Mall
Charlotte RiverGate
Gastonia
Waynesville
Wilmington

OHIO
Canton
Chapel Hill
Colerain
Dayton Mall
Elyria
Fairfield Township

OREGON
Clackamas

PENNSYLVANIA
Century III
Harrisburg East
No. Hills Village
Oxford Valley
Pittsburgh Mills
So. Hills
State College
Wyomiss/Reading

SOUTH CAROLINA
Charleston
Columbiana Mall
Greenville
Summerville
Two Notch

SOUTH DAKOTA
Sioux Falls

TENNESSEE
Hickory Hollow
Mt Juliet
Nashville West
Rivergate

TEXAS
Bastrop
Gulfgate
Heritage Trace
Hulen
Mesquite
Midland
North Arlington
North Irving
Pasadena
Ridgmar
South Fort Worth

UTAH
Riverdale
Washington

VIRGINIA
Christianburg
Leesburg
Roanoke
Virginia Center Commons

WASHINGTON
Everett
Lacey
Olympia
Puyallup
Seattle-Northgate
Tukwila

WISCONSIN
E. Madison
La Crosse

WYOMING
Casper

So i had some fun with the demo.
Will this game have an easy mode.
Cause while I like the game some parts were to hard for me.
The chimera was beast and i kept dying.

Thx a bunch

^ wow, i suck at games, but the demo was piece of cake... Well, there's an Easy mode on GoW I and II, so there should be one on III.

Question, the Ultimate Edition will have the regular version of the game inside the Pandora's Box right? I'm thinking about picking up at midnight and return it when the Amazon order comes. It will be a problem if the UE's game cover is different or have no bar codes on the back :lol:

[quote name='Serpentor']^ wow, i suck at games, but the demo was piece of cake... Well, there's an Easy mode on GoW I and II, so there should be one on III.

Question, the Ultimate Edition will have the regular version of the game inside the Pandora's Box right? I'm thinking about picking up at midnight and return it when the Amazon order comes. It will be a problem if the UE's game cover is different or have no bar codes on the back :lol:[/QUOTE]

In the pictures ive seen the UE cover is darker than the regular cover. It also says Ultimate Edition on the cover. Check it out...

Standard cover - UE Cover

As for the demo, the only part where i died was flying through the tunnel at the end, or possibly falling to my death. After i played the flying part a few times, i would replay the demo and beat that on the first try. I still plan to play on easy the first time. I play games like this more for the experience, rather than the challenge. But im sure the game will be loads of fun and ill replay it on a harder level, and ill have the Challenge of Olympus to give me a good challenge haha.

God of War 3 - MINOR SPOILER (but it was easy to assume would be in the game)
God of War III director Stig Asmussen initially wanted to cut the topless ladies from the game. They need to have a purpose, Asmussen though, that was other than eye candy. "It was more a debate between me and several of the story writers," Asmussen told website UGO. "I was like, 'I'd rather not have it in there at all.'"
What is the point? Asmussen wondered. If they were going to keep the nude mini-game in, they had to serve a point. In the past, the scenes were used to establish Kratos as a "man's man" who got what he wanted. Feeling that they would be damned if they did and damned if they didn't, Asmussen decided they would add the scenes, but give them thrust.
"We make it more than it's been in the past, but we also give it more of a purpose," said Asmussen. "It's not just you going in there, finding some corner and having sex with somebody. It's something that guides you through the story. You get information and more than just a fluff moment."
The mini-game apparently involves Kratos, "a goddess and a couple other people".
Source Kotaku

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='The 7th Number']In the pictures ive seen the UE cover is darker than the regular cover. It also says Ultimate Edition on the cover. Check it out...

Standard cover - UE Cover

As for the demo, the only part where i died was flying through the tunnel at the end, or possibly falling to my death. After i played the flying part a few times, i would replay the demo and beat that on the first try. I still plan to play on easy the first time. I play games like this more for the experience, rather than the challenge. But im sure the game will be loads of fun and ill replay it on a harder level, and ill have the Challenge of Olympus to give me a good challenge haha.

God of War 3 - MINOR SPOILER (but it was easy to assume would be in the game)
God of War III director Stig Asmussen initially wanted to cut the topless ladies from the game. They need to have a purpose, Asmussen though, that was other than eye candy. "It was more a debate between me and several of the story writers," Asmussen told website UGO. "I was like, 'I'd rather not have it in there at all.'"
What is the point? Asmussen wondered. If they were going to keep the nude mini-game in, they had to serve a point. In the past, the scenes were used to establish Kratos as a "man's man" who got what he wanted. Feeling that they would be damned if they did and damned if they didn't, Asmussen decided they would add the scenes, but give them thrust.
"We make it more than it's been in the past, but we also give it more of a purpose," said Asmussen. "It's not just you going in there, finding some corner and having sex with somebody. It's something that guides you through the story. You get information and more than just a fluff moment."
The mini-game apparently involves Kratos, "a goddess and a couple other people".
Source Kotaku
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the game cover pics and the spoiler! Woohoo, finally there's a purpose :)

[quote name='Bavgate']I can't believe how good this entire game looks. They've REALLY upped the graphics since the E3 demo.[/QUOTE]

Me either. I watched when they show it off on Gametrailers TV. Which is also on the site. It has the best looking graphics I've seen for a PS3 game. Maybe even ever.

[quote name='jman619']Me either. I watched when they show it off on Gametrailers TV. Which is also on the site. It has the best looking graphics I've seen for a PS3 game. Maybe even ever.[/QUOTE]

I agree, the scale of the graphics are amazing. However, the gameplay remains the same as the others. Maybe good for some ppl, but i'll just wait on this one.

[quote name='Supplice']However, the gameplay remains the same as the others. Maybe good for some ppl, but i'll just wait on this one.[/QUOTE]

Having just finished the Collection there is obvious improvement through the three titles. The movement and combat is much more smooth and refined with each progression.

I'm definitely going to pick this up at the midnight release.
I don't usually buy games at full price, but i managed to convince my roommate (he's into Greek mythology and spent the past few weeks watching me beat gow:collection) to split the cost with me.

Newest official playstation magazine gave it a 5/5 (as you would expect :p )

A few interesting things from the review, though

regarding length:
reviewer's play through was 15 hours, said it remained entirely fun the entire time, and that the game contained only 1 QTE that felt noticeably out of place/broke immersion

regarding the game's cons:
their two listed negatives are one section of the game containing boring puzzles, and that the final battle is disappointing gameplay-wise (not story-wise)

Saw a guy on craigslist in my area saying he will have several copies in stock tomorrow but he wants $90. I asked him for pics and he told me tomorrow so we'll see. Is it possible stores are starting to receive the game already?

[quote name='dabomb505']Saw a guy on craigslist in my area saying he will have several copies in stock tomorrow but he wants $90. I asked him for pics and he told me tomorrow so we'll see. Is it possible stores are starting to receive the game already?[/QUOTE]

Could be. Journalists haven't gotten the retail version yet, but Sony might have at their GDC party next week.

[quote name='dabomb505']Saw a guy on craigslist in my area saying he will have several copies in stock tomorrow but he wants $90. I asked him for pics and he told me tomorrow so we'll see. Is it possible stores are starting to receive the game already?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, its very possible. It all depends on when the publisher decides to ship out. Its not unusual for stores to get games in a week or two early.

the hype is getting to me... someone give this game GOTY honors... I gotta stay off the internet for a couple of days.

Just played through the demo...am I the only one who had nostalgic flashbacks on Battletoads when Kratos is barreling through that shaft (mind you, no where near as hard as Battletoads).

anybody get release date shipping on the ultimate edition from amazon? its not an option for mine so i just took the one day shipping.

[quote name='lewchief']anybody get release date shipping on the ultimate edition from amazon? its not an option for mine so i just took the one day shipping.[/QUOTE]

I have the ultimate edition from amazon with 1 day shipping and when i view open orders, it says estimate delivery date, March 18th. Though im hoping for it on the 16th or 17th!

I had been procrastinating finishing the demo, but I gave in after reading this thread.

So, I played Dante's inferno for about an hour before the GOW III demo...and...
There's a reason why GOW is the standard. That little demo had more polish than a lot of what's in EA's game.

[quote name='dragonjud']I had been procrastinating finishing the demo, but I gave in after reading this thread.

So, I played Dante's inferno for about an hour before the GOW III demo...and...
There's a reason why GOW is the standard. That little demo had more polish than a lot of what's in EA's game.[/QUOTE]

I haven't played Dante's inferno, but DI seems like it was trying to emulate what was in GOW 2 or even 1, while GOW 3 is trying to take it up a notch. I've heard that the core gameplay of the two games are similar, but GOW 3 has amazing sense of scale, and the graphics look amazing in GOW. At least that's what I've read on Joystiq and heard in the Giant Bombcast.

[quote name='The 7th Number']I have the ultimate edition from amazon with 1 day shipping and when i view open orders, it says estimate delivery date, March 18th. Though im hoping for it on the 16th or 17th![/QUOTE]

im hoping for the same thing as well.

I'm not trolling...seriously...but I don't quite get the hype about this game. Yes, it looks great, but so do pretty much all of the AAA titles on either the PS3 or 360. The gameplay seems fairly standard with nothing groundbreaking, and while that's fine, I'm failing to see how or why GOW III is so special.

I didn't play either of the prior games, so perhaps that's the problem? Again, I'm not trolling...I am just really curious if I'm missing something here since everyone else seems so excited. I'd hate to miss out on a great game just because the demo isn't intriguing me.

Thanks,
Endaar

[quote name='Endaar']I'm not trolling...seriously...but I don't quite get the hype about this game. Yes, it looks great, but so do pretty much all of the AAA titles on either the PS3 or 360. The gameplay seems fairly standard with nothing groundbreaking, and while that's fine, I'm failing to see how or why GOW III is so special.

I didn't play either of the prior games, so perhaps that's the problem? Again, I'm not trolling...I am just really curious if I'm missing something here since everyone else seems so excited. I'd hate to miss out on a great game just because the demo isn't intriguing me.

Thanks,
Endaar[/QUOTE]

If the demo wasn't intriguing, then let it go. It's not that you're missing something. That's God of War, and you don't like it. Go play something you enjoy.

[quote name='Endaar']I'm not trolling...seriously...but I don't quite get the hype about this game. Yes, it looks great, but so do pretty much all of the AAA titles on either the PS3 or 360. The gameplay seems fairly standard with nothing groundbreaking, and while that's fine, I'm failing to see how or why GOW III is so special.

Thanks,
Endaar[/QUOTE]

Id suggest you buy/rent god of war collection and start with GOW1. If you play that it might hook you in. Honestly i didnt start playing this series till GOW1 was a greatest hits on PS2, and thought id give it a shot when i was bored and wanted to spend some cash. Since then, ive been a huge fan. Im not sure the GOW3 demo really captures what this series is all about. To someone who never played the old games, it could be just a few little battles and no real meaning behind it. You might have to play through one of the older games to see it in full.

Thanks,
Endaar[/QUOTE]

This just means you are dead inside.

I finished Dantes Inferno and it is a joke compared to god of war series, let alone 3. I am hoping to score a early copy of GOW3, i got GOW collection almost 2 weeks early, lets see if lightning strikes twice!

[quote name='dragonjud']If the demo wasn't intriguing, then let it go. It's not that you're missing something. That's God of War, and you don't like it. Go play something you enjoy.[/QUOTE]

you hit it right on the head. if the demo didnt grab you then either gow isnt the game for you or maybe for you this is one of those games you need to play because the demo didnt do the game justice. gow isnt for everyone just like alot of games arent for everyone. you could always try renting it once its released if youre still curious about it but if youre not just look for something else you may like.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Endaar

Personally, since I never owned a PS2, I never played the GOW series. Actually, I really hated the game before I even knew anything about it. Somehow, I decided to give it a chance, and got hooked on the GOW Collection. I'd start with the collection, and if you get hooked, then you'll be as excited for the 3rd game as all of us are. One thing that I have to say about the first game, is that Kratos stars out like a figure that has no history, I had no attachment to the character. However, once you get most of the story, then it starts to make sense.

[quote name='xxDOYLExx']Saw the review in gameinformer. Both the main review and second gave it a 10.[/QUOTE]

the review is out

Thanks,
Endaar[/QUOTE]

I liked the God of War games but I also agree with your view on this (at least the demo).

It's going to be fun, it's going to be solid -- but I just don't see how it's very special. I booted up that demo and I ended up playing the same game I played years ago.

It'd be a fun rental because of all the epic boss fights and finishing moves, but I think it's a shame to see that once again, developers aren't taking this type of genre to a new level.

[quote name='panzerfaust']I liked the God of War games but I also agree with your view on this (at least the demo).

It's going to be fun, it's going to be solid -- but I just don't see how it's very special. I booted up that demo and I ended up playing the same game I played years ago.

It'd be a fun rental because of all the epic boss fights and finishing moves, but I think it's a shame to see that once again, developers aren't taking this type of genre to a new level.[/QUOTE]

youre welcome to your opinion but how do you know what is or isnt in the game outside of what was in the demo? each game has been consistently bigger than the ones before it and gow3 just based on the demo is bigger in scale and detail. whats it it dont know and i dont want to know until i get my copy but youre kind of over generalizing the game based on your opinion. looking at soe of your other posts on gow3 you seem to have some kind of weird hangup about the game.

Having to kill an enemy 3 times is pretty slick. Plus it having different attacts based on what animal head is left is nice. Not really extremely "ground breaking" but its still pretty sweet. Im sure there are things in the game they havent shown us yet that make this a more advanced GOW game.

[quote name='lokizz']youre welcome to your opinion but how do you know what is or isnt in the game outside of what was in the demo? each game has been consistently bigger than the ones before it and gow3 just based on the demo is bigger in scale and detail. whats it it dont know and i dont want to know until i get my copy but youre kind of over generalizing the game based on your opinion. looking at soe of your other posts on gow3 you seem to have some kind of weird hangup about the game.[/QUOTE]

I've clearly stated in my posts that it's going to be a solid game, and fans should enjoy it.

I don't know what's in the game, you're right -- but I think we all know very well how this game is designed and that it's a very familiar design at that.
It's going to be everything that's expected of it. More of that God of War action that everybody loves all in awesome HD visuals.

I'm just a minority that is indeed hung up over GoWIII because after years of waiting for this amazing franchise to make the jump to the "next generation" of gaming, all I got was more or less the same game I was playing before.

I just have higher expectations. Don't mean to intrude on the hype machine.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Having to kill an enemy 3 times is pretty slick. Plus it having different attacts based on what animal head is left is nice. Not really extremely "ground breaking" but its still pretty sweet. Im sure there are things in the game they havent shown us yet that make this a more advanced GOW game.[/QUOTE]

Well yeah it's going to have a bunch improvements over its predecessors, it's a sequel after all. More moves, more weapons, new enemies, bigger bosses.

It's hard to explain where I'm coming from I guess. I mean, look at a gameplay video of God of War 2 -- now imagine going back in time and wondering how awesome a God of War III on the next PS3 could be. Fast forward to today and you're playing that demo.

It's just not that impressive to me. Ah well...

bread's done
Back