God of War III -- Gen. Discussion

I've had the God of War collection for about a month now, wrapped and sealed straight from Amazon (couldn't pass up the $20 PSN credit). Yesterday evening I got the opportunity to pre-order the game for approximately $32.00, so once again.. couldn't pass up the great deal.

I enjoyed the first game immensely, except toward the later half when combat sites became incredibly repetitive (I believe it was the high number of enemies, but the low complexity of the actual fights). Hopefully tonight I'll get the chance to sit down with the Collection and finally start 2.

Though I'm curious, for those of you that have actually played the demo, when comparing this game to other action games like Bayonetta, how in-depth is the actual gameplay? Does it complexity scale well throughout the difficulty levels? I'd love to check for myself, but for some reason my PS3 refuses to connect to the PSN through my dorm's firewall. (But for some reason 360 works just fine.)

Definitely not as in-depth as Bayonetta, but other than that, it does everything else MUCH better. But honestly, Bayonetta's combat system is to me like a fighting game. While there is much more depth (e.g. way more moves & advanced techniques) only a few of those moves are useful/practical.

I'd say Bayonetta raised the bar, and honestly there're a few things it simply does better (based on the demo). Bayonetta's story is complete nonsense, but you cannot really fault the rest of the game for it.
Each game deserves to played on its own merits, but honestly I'd still play Bayonetta again if I had to choose just one (based on videos, the demo, and my enjoyment of Bayonetta).

I don't know what all the hype is over Bayonetta, I played the demo and the character feels like she has no weight. When you hit something, it doesn't feel like you really hit the enemy. God of War at least gets the controls right and feels much more solid than Bayonetta.

Finished up the game so I can work on my review, which the embargo is over at 12 PM EST on Monday for those that want to see the flood of online reviews.

Regarding length:
Whoever said it took them 15 hours to beat it must have been wasting a lot of time or something to take that long. I finished in 10 hours with full health, mana, and item bars and just short of fully upgrading the last weapon.

[quote name='jh6269']I don't know what all the hype is over Bayonetta, I played the demo and the character feels like she has no weight. When you hit something, it doesn't feel like you really hit the enemy. God of War at least gets the controls right and feels much more solid than Bayonetta.[/QUOTE]

Note that all my comments were based on the superior x360 version, and not the crap that they put out for the ps3.

As far as Bayonetta, the demo only provides you with an idea of how over the top the game is. It does not give you a real sense of the depth and variety the game offers.

Looks to be doing well on a lot of fronts. GameSpot gave it a 9, and 1UP gave it an A, and EuroGamer gave it a 9. I was planning on getting the game anyway, so it's nice to see critics are enjoying it as well. I've been told that the GameSpot review somewhat contains spoilers, so be cautious there and take reviews with a grain of salt like always.

I'm not going to understand the people whining about the familiarity of the controls. It's God of War. It's the 3rd (4th) game in the series. It doesn't make sense to change it.

Every reviewer should know that the core gameplay will remain the same, so if they complain about it at the end...well i don't know.

My Twitter account is getting buzz that a few Stores have broken Street date for God of War 3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoRs0w2-2wc

I know my local Gamestop recently got a shipment in of God of War 3. I heard the music in the back break room, and they let me watch a little bit of Gameplay.

I know they get in trouble BUT only if they register the sale, they opened their own copy and will register the sale on March 16, but nothing stops them from playing early.

[quote name='JoeBlo']My Twitter account is getting buzz that a few Stores have broken Street date for God of War 3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoRs0w2-2wc

I know my local Gamestop recently got a shipment in of God of War 3. I heard the music in the back break room, and they let me watch a little bit of Gameplay.

I know they get in trouble BUT only if they register the sale, they opened their own copy and will register the sale on March 16, but nothing stops them from playing early.[/QUOTE]

better be careful with that i recall an instance of someone going out of their way to narc on someone for playing games before release date at a gamestop. but if i remember correctly some of that was due to unrequited attraction to said female worker.

gotta say i wish i was playing it now so i envy those who are. damn this week is going to be so long and its going to be even harder to avoid spoilers.( already found out one that im happy to know)

No spoilers here but they are defenitely playing the game at the MIami Gamstops.

Also I called my local TARGET and they also have complete stock ready to go.

For sure some will break street date, Heck, I remember back when MGS4 Launched and some guy bought an entire PS3 MGS 4 combo like 1 week early.

Its too bad there are no God of War 3 official launch parties like Microsoft had for Halo 3, I got to hang out with cool Microsoft Xbox 360 staff and Bungie staff got a bunch of autographs, they had Officlal Microsoft parties in Miami.

Sony is so cheap they don't do any special events for the gamer community.

I got all the 7-Eleven cups and the special codes.

I would like to have seen a special god of war 3 Ps3 combo set.

[quote name='JoeBlo']Its too bad there are no God of War 3 official launch parties like Microsoft had for Halo 3, I got to hang out with cool Microsoft Xbox 360 staff and Bungie staff got a bunch of autographs, they had Officlal Microsoft parties in Miami.

Sony is so cheap they don't do any special events for the gamer community.

I got all the 7-Eleven cups and the special codes.

I would like to have seen a special god of war 3 Ps3 combo set.[/QUOTE]

? I have seen all over about a GoW III thing in San Fran (http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=339854217878&ref=mf)... not to mention a few Sony sponsored things I did when I lived in LA.

Assuming Gamestop has the B2G1 coming up soon that's been rumored to take place before the Gamedays sale kicks off, I may cancel out of my pre-order for God Of War 3 since I can wait to play it as it'll only get cheaper from MSRP.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Assuming Gamestop has the B2G1 coming up soon that's been rumored to take place before the Gamedays sale kicks off, I may cancel out of my pre-order for God Of War 3 since I can wait to play it as it'll only get cheaper from MSRP.[/QUOTE]

You're expecting a first party AAA exclusive title to get Cheaper? How long do you plan on waiting? And for it to be available at gamestop during a buy 2 get 1 free deal?

[quote name='wildcpac']You're expecting a first party AAA exclusive title to get Cheaper? How long do you plan on waiting? And for it to be available at gamestop during a buy 2 get 1 free deal?[/QUOTE]

Thing is, I know games always get cheaper. Some may take a while(Heavenly Sword, Uncharted), but who cares? I get enough game deals on the cheap that I can afford to be patient.

But hey, if you want the bragging rights to say you played X or Y game before other people you know, so be it.

It's just not a big deal for me to get a game that from the demo plays exactly like the other two games in the series(yawn).:roll:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']It's just not a big deal for me to get a game that from the demo plays exactly like the other two games in the series(yawn).:roll:[/QUOTE]

It actually plays smoother, not exactly the same. It has very subtle differences. I know what you mean, but it is an evolution of 1 and 2, not a revolution.

I've had it pre-ordered about 2-3 times now, though I think the other two were only $5 down, while this is a full pre-order. But just from checking Gamestop's site, I see that Demon's Souls, Battlefield: Bad Company 2 and a couple other recent releases still marked $55 used are in stock.

Hmmm....ONE title for $63.59 total(that'll collect dust once I'm done with it) or THREE for just $40 more?

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I've had it pre-ordered about 2-3 times now, though I think the other two were only $5 down, while this is a full pre-order. But just from checking Gamestop's site, I see that Demon's Souls, Battlefield: Bad Company 2 and a couple other recent releases still marked $55 used are in stock.

Hmmm....ONE title for $63.59 total(that'll collect dust once I'm done with it) or THREE for just $40 more?[/QUOTE]

I am not trying to be a dick, but are there any day 1 purchases of games you like?

[quote name='fatmanforlife99']I am not trying to be a dick, but are there any day 1 purchases of games you like?[/QUOTE]

Grand Theft Auto IV(once I got used to the controls), Little Big Planet and Mercenaries 2(till I realized how many frickin' glitches are in the game).

I don't understand why people Pre-order?

unless its for some Special Gift Card like $10 back from Amazon. Its not like they will run out.

Regardless even Gamestop does not respect its Pre-orders, I remember during the Gears of War 2 Fiasco, where they had shipping problems. I went to a store which did get some, I called the District Manager and he authorized the store Manager to sell me a copy. Which no doubt had to belong to someone else.

So I would never Pre-order, unless its with Amazon.com where you get $5 off MSRP plus a $10 Gift card back and No Tax and Free shipping. Basically you are saving $20, before any trade ins.

Or with Amazon.com for Super SF4 where you get Free Extra Costumes.

You would imagine the Biggest Games Retailer GS to have something like that for customers but they don't.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Grand Theft Auto IV(once I got used to the controls), Little Big Planet and Mercenaries 2(till I realized how many frickin' glitches are in the game).[/QUOTE]

You bought Mercenaries 2 on day 1, and hesitate about God of War 3? That's insane.

If you didn't buy on day 1, I could understand that. But clearly QUALITY trumps QUANTITY.

[quote name='JoeBlo']I don't understand why people Pre-order?

unless its for some Special Gift Card like $10 back from Amazon. Its not like they will run out.

Regardless even Gamestop does not respect its Pre-orders, I remember during the Gears of War 2 Fiasco, where they had shipping problems. I went to a store which did get some, I called the District Manager and he authorized the store Manager to sell me a copy. Which no doubt had to belong to someone else.

So I would never Pre-order, unless its with Amazon.com where you get $5 off MSRP plus a $10 Gift card back and No Tax and Free shipping. Basically you are saving $20, before any trade ins.

Or with Amazon.com for Super SF4 where you get Free Extra Costumes.

You would imagine the Biggest Games Retailer GS to have something like that for customers but they don't.[/QUOTE]

actually they had a deal going where you could get free next day shipping on gow3 if you preordered it by a certain time. and on top of that they were doing that deal where you trade in 2 games from some list and you got the game for 20 bucks.

its reasons like that that people buy games from gamestop. when they suck they suck but when they have deals like the extra 50% trade in credit and some of their other deals its worthwhile to do business with them.

another reason people are preordering with them is that character skin. of all the ones for the game the gamestop exclusive one looks the best.

Here are some more reviews... website link

Damn some website called gameplanet.co.nz gave it an 8.5 out of 10. Thats the lowest ratings ive seen, as all the rest are usually above 90 of 100/4.5 of 5. I didnt read the review...havent read any..but i dont mind look at the overall score they give the game. Not that it matters to me, im getting it anyway. :)

[quote name='flameofdoom666']You bought Mercenaries 2 on day 1, and hesitate about God of War 3? That's insane.

If you didn't buy on day 1, I could understand that. But clearly QUALITY trumps QUANTITY.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='Serpentor']Merc 2 as a day one buy :shock: Was it $10 on day one or something?[/QUOTE]

Actually, it was that I enjoyed the first game and I expected the second one to be just as much fun. I also had some credit at both Blockbuster and Gamestop that I got via trading in super cheap clearance games for 2-3 or more times what I paid.

Had I known how much of an abortion Mercs 2 was going to be in comparison to the first game in the series, I would've waited for some price drops.

As for quality over quantity, I'd personally much rather have a library of older titles versus overpaying for ONE current title. But yeah, Mercs 2 on day one was a huge mistake. Since then I typically wait for reviews and hands-on gameplay videos before I bother buying.

Although, I did make an exception to that rule 6 months ago with Demon's Souls, with disastrous results.:cry:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']As for quality over quantity, I'd personally much rather have a library of older titles versus overpaying for ONE current title. But yeah, Mercs 2 on day one was a huge mistake. Since then I typically wait for reviews and hands-on gameplay videos before I bother buying.[/QUOTE]

A current title isn't always better. However, in GoW III's case- it is a quality title.

I try to only play quality titles. To me, I buy 5-6 games at launch a year, or so. These titles, in my eyes, are the best of the best. o me, they are not even in the same category. With that said... I do buy some lesser-quality games, but I don't even compare the two.

You said you would rather get 2 games, than one- which I can understand... but when quality comes into the picture- I think this is a bit flawed.

Am I missing something?

[quote name='flameofdoom666']A current title isn't always better. However, in GoW III's case- it is a quality title.

I try to only play quality titles. To me, I buy 5-6 games at launch a year, or so. These titles, in my eyes, are the best of the best. o me, they are not even in the same category. With that said... I do buy some lesser-quality games, but I don't even compare the two.

You said you would rather get 2 games, than one- which I can understand... but when quality comes into the picture- I think this is a bit flawed.

Am I missing something?[/QUOTE]

You buy 5-6 titles at launch a year and are on CAG?:cry::roll: That goes against the CAG mantra of get 'em cheap, doesn't it? Then again I've broken that rule before too.

Actually though, I said I'd rather get the 3 games during the B2G1 than one MSRP NEW release that I'm paying full price for anymore, even though it means I have to go to Gamestop to get them.:puke:
I have no problem with waiting a while to play the current games I may want to play, simply because I don't want to spend anywhere near MSRP on games anymore after the fiasco with Mercenaries 2.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']You buy 5-6 titles at launch a year and are on CAG?:cry::roll: That goes against the CAG mantra of get 'em cheap, doesn't it? Then again I've broken that rule before too.

Actually though, I said I'd rather get the 3 games during the B2G1 than one MSRP NEW release that I'm paying full price for anymore, even though it means I have to go to Gamestop to get them.:puke:
I have no problem with waiting a while to play the current games I may want to play, simply because I don't want to spend anywhere near MSRP on games anymore after the fiasco with Mercenaries 2.[/QUOTE]

I am getting GoW III Ultimate Edition. I beleive that it will be a rarer CE, but I am risking that. It was $90.00 on Amazon, and I complained about the regular edition getting a $10 credit, and not the UE- so I got a $5 credit. I think that is a decent deal for a day 1 CE.

I tend to buy my games new only, except for rarer titles- so its harder for me. $20 is my sweet spot for games I really want, and sometimes $30 is good for me too. I recently got the Resident Evil 5 CE new for $30. I think that was a pretty good deal. I am dying for the Assassins Creed II Master Edition, but $80 is too much for that. I have 4 locals stores with it, so I am keeping tabs on it. The same thing goes for the Bioshock 2 CE. $100 is insane.

God of War is my exception for CE's inflated prices.

[quote name='flameofdoom666']I am getting GoW III Ultimate Edition. I beleive that it will be a rarer CE, but I am risking that. It was $90.00 on Amazon, and I complained about the regular edition getting a $10 credit, and not the UE- so I got a $5 credit. I think that is a decent deal for a day 1 CE.

I tend to buy my games new only, except for rarer titles- so its harder for me. $20 is my sweet spot for games I really want, and sometimes $30 is good for me too. I recently got the Resident Evil 5 CE new for $30. I think that was a pretty good deal. I am dying for the Assassins Creed II Master Edition, but $80 is too much for that. I have 4 locals stores with it, so I am keeping tabs on it. The same thing goes for the Bioshock 2 CE. $100 is insane.

God of War is my exception for CE's inflated prices.[/QUOTE]

Aside from a few games over the past 5 years at CAG, I mainly buy my games used or when they're super cheap on clearance. I'm not really a collector, so I don't need 90 billion things sitting around collecting dust.

But if that's your thing, then so be it.

Just finished GoW II, was significantly better than the first. The ending was incredibly unsatisfying though, but I guess thats what III is for.

[quote name='helmet']Just finished GoW II, was significantly better than the first. The ending was incredibly unsatisfying though, but I guess thats what III is for.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was glad I hadn't played it stand alone. I played through I & II recently with the collection. I would've been a little miffed if III wasn't coming out so soon.

When i first beat GOW2 when if first came out, the ending was unsatisfying. But now that god of war 3 is coming out soon, when i seen the ending again, it made me pumped for GOW3.

[quote name='flameofdoom666']Everything looks SO much better, except for Helio's head. To me, it seems a tad bit worse.

It is amazing what six months can do for a game.[/QUOTE]
The demo's probably closer to a year old by now due to how far in advance of the show they had to start working on the demo.

Just pre-ordered the ultimate edition from walmart.com they are still taking orders fyi. Although if it ships will be another story...

[quote name='The 7th Number']When i first beat GOW2 when if first came out, the ending was unsatisfying. But now that god of war 3 is coming out soon, when i seen the ending again, it made me pumped for GOW3.[/QUOTE]

That was the one thing that had me irked about GOW2, was that damned cliffhanger ending. Then, on top of that, the sequel is 'only on Playstation 3'.

I still have it pre-ordered, but I'm hoping someone gets info about a B2G1 coming up this weekend at GS. If so, bye bye GOW3 pre-order.:D

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer'] on top of that, the sequel is 'only on Playstation 3'.

[/QUOTE]

why should it have been released on the wii or the 360 too ? im glad they waited to put it on the ps3. that way theyd have the tech to make a really amazing game. the scale of each game increases alot with each version so much so that they needed the ps3 to make the game the way they really wanted to. they could pull a nintendo and do one per console life how theyve been known to do with their flagship titles. and you know damn well if they had released gow3 on the ps2 and it wasnt up to your "expectations" you along with alot of the other gow haters would be whining about how shitty it was and what a letdown it was.

they waited and gave the game the time and attention it deserved to come out with an optimal product that would make fans of the series happy. if the fact that it was released on the ps3 bothers you so much dont buy it hell maybe youll get lucky and they will release a gow collection for the ps4 with all 3 games on one "insert future game medie name here".

bread's done
Back