GOG Deals Thread

Man I remember Wizardry 8. Some of those battles literally took hours. I loved that game way back when but I honestly don't know if I would have the patience for it now. Even in those days the Rapax castle in particular made me want to go  :fridge:

I kind of wish someone would do a new (non-Anime) Wizardry but then if they did it would probably be some lazy retro grid crap and require UPlay. :p

Wizardry series weren't 75% on a recent sale?
No, the Wizardry games have only been available on GOG for a month or two. Besides any preorder discount that they might have had (and I'm not even sure the games had a preoeder discount) this is the first time that the games have been on sale on GOG.

Oh and thanks to keithp for posting the deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn!  I missed this deal!  I loved the Wizardry series... oh well, will wait for another sale.

Realms of the Haunting, done! I vaguely remember it, but the reviews seem good. And I'm a sucker for these sales at a price of my morning joe.

Now to port it to my phone on DosBox Turbo.....

On a Game & Watch?
I honestly have to idea what you're talking about. In the game's directory, there's a "config" exe. Open it, check "Full screen (True color)" or "Full screen (High color)" and you're done.

As with most older fighting games, the resolution isn't all that high, but the spriting and animation is so well done that it still looks great.

I honestly have to idea what you're talking about. In the game's directory, there's a "config" exe. Open it, check "Full screen (True color)" or "Full screen (High color)" and you're done.

As with most older fighting games, the resolution isn't all that high, but the spriting and animation is so well done that it still looks great.

Is it even 640 x 480? That's what I'm getting at.

lol,

I've always wondered if you caught my little improvisation in this post a few months back. You copied it verbatim into the OP, but I was never quite sure if you did it unwittingly, or if you had a giggle over it while you did so.
To be honest, I just copy and paste as fast as I can before going back to catching up on all the other threads. ;)

It's foreskin though!

That's how they spell it in Germany.
tumblr_inline_mglodxXXiv1qmr00d.gif

16:9 and 16:10 = widescreen resolutions, which implies that you'd be using mods to bring the old "square" resolutions (like 800x600) up to speed with current high res widescreen resolutions (like 1920x1080). Not only are these mods changing the aspect ratio, they're also making the game crisper and clearer.
Now this I just don't understand at all. If you take a game that was designed square (800x600), and display that game in widescreen, its just stretching the image. Everything would be seriously distorted and look like crap. It would be like taking a TV show from the 80's, which was shot 4:3 for standard TV's and viewing it in widescreen. It will look like crap as all its doing is stretching the frame to fit widescreen. That's why it puts black bars on the sides if you want to really view 4:3 in widescreen. The information simply isn't there to be able to frame it widescreen, not without zooming into the image and doing some serious cropping.

So again, I just don't understand this at all. It continues to go right over my head. Where are these mods that are supposedly able to do this?

Now this I just don't understand at all. If you take a game that was designed square (800x600), and display that game in widescreen, its just stretching the image. Everything would be seriously distorted and look like crap. It would be like taking a TV show from the 80's, which was shot 4:3 for standard TV's and viewing it in widescreen. It will look like crap as all its doing is stretching the frame to fit widescreen. That's why it puts black bars on the sides if you want to really view 4:3 in widescreen. The information simply isn't there to be able to frame it widescreen, not without zooming into the image and doing some serious cropping.

So again, I just don't understand this at all. It continues to go right over my head. Where are these mods that are supposedly able to do this?
That's called scaling. The mod changes the resolution completely, so the "information" IS there. The game isn't simply being stretched. Here's the guide I used to mod the game. There's a lot of stuff there, and you don't have to do it all, but it's not too difficult and results in the best version of BG1 and 2 around (yes, better than that silly "Enhanced" edition that you can buy on Steam).

And if you don't believe me, [customspoiler= here's a screenshot ]
bgmain2011-02-1422-10-fm79.png
[/customspoiler] taken at 1920x1080. (Click it to make it bigger.)

Actually, even with movies, the information is there in many instances.  That is unless we're talking '50's and earlier,  stuff filmed straight for TV viewing or using 35mm or similar practices.

Actually, even with movies, the information is there in many instances. That is unless we're talking '50's and earlier, stuff filmed straight for TV viewing or using 35mm or similar practices.
Sure if you actually go back to the film and do brand new scans. That's just common sense as cameras don't shoot 4:3. That was simply an image ratio created by the people making TV's. Paramount did this with the original Star Trek series.

That's called scaling. The mod changes the resolution completely, so the "information" IS there. The game isn't simply being stretched. Here's the guide I used to mod the game. There's a lot of stuff there, and you don't have to do it all, but it's not too difficult and results in the best version of BG1 and 2 around (yes, better than that silly "Enhanced" edition that you can buy on Steam).
Its not that I don't believe you, I just had never heard of it before and had no clue what you were talking about. It would have saved a HELL of a lot of time if the original poster had just mentioned this in the first place. How he would expect people to know what he was talking about simply from posting 16:9 is beyond my understanding. I thought he was talking about upgrading my monitor, which made even less sense as he didn't even know what monitor I owned, lol. I am still not sure I understand how this works but I will definitely give it a look. Thanks for the heads up!

Its not that I don't believe you, I just had never heard of it before and had no clue what you were talking about. It would have saved a HELL of a lot of time if the original poster had just mentioned this in the first place. How he would expect people to know what he was talking about simply from posting 16:9 is beyond my understanding. I thought he was talking about upgrading my monitor, which made even less sense as he didn't even know what monitor I owned, lol. I am still not sure I understand how this works but I will definitely give it a look. Thanks for the heads up!
Resolution mods aren't all that uncommon in the PC gaming community, so the vagueness goes hand in hand with that. Good luck getting things in order though.

Sure if you actually go back to the film and do brand new scans. That's just common sense as cameras don't shoot 4:3. That was simply an image ratio created by the people making TV's. Paramount did this with the original Star Trek series.
Um, no. Cameras shoot on the film they are designed for. 35mm film has a native aspect ratio of 3:2. Widescreen film is done with anamorphic lenses (which squish the images horizontally) on the camera and projector. Widescreen films really got their start in the '50s when TV was first threatening cinema.

Classic Gem Promo

60% Off Omikron: The Nomad Soul - $3.99

Fun Fact: I've owned this game for the Dreamcast since 2000, and I've yet to put it in the disc tray, let alone play it.

I've bought ir on launch, only because David Bowie and Reeves Gabrels xD. The game is really good

Um, no. Cameras shoot on the film they are designed for. 35mm film has a native aspect ratio of 3:2. Widescreen film is done with anamorphic lenses (which squish the images horizontally) on the camera and projector. Widescreen films really got their start in the '50s when TV was first threatening cinema.
Actually, silent film had a standard aspect ratio of 4:3, or 1.33:1 (as does Super35 4-perf). When sound tracks were added to the film, the image frame had to be adjusted, and the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences decided on an image frame with an aspect ratio of 1.37:1, known as the "Academy Ratio". Thus the NTSC TV standard chose an aspect ratio of 4:3 as it was the same, or close to the same, as the aspect ratio for most films.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_ratio

When cinemas switched to widescreen, they tried a lot of techniques, but the two standards that developed was either anamorphically squeezing a 2.35:1 - 2.40:1 image onto the 1.37:1 frame, or cropping the 1.37:1 frame, typically to 1.66:1 or 1.85:1.

Note that I'm talking about standards for 35mm film. You could theoretically shoot a wide range of aspect ratios and image frames on 35mm film. However, most films stuck to the standards because that was what could be realistically projected on the most screens. For example, while most 35mm film standards run the film vertically through the camera and projector, VistaVision was shot running the film horizontally through the projector, at an aspect ratio of 1.66:1. However, most movies shot in VistaVision were projected from prints made to standard vertical 35mm film. As far as I know, there was never a film standard with a 3:2 aspect ratio.

In regards to transferring old TV shows and movies to HD, it's true that typically those that were shot on 35mm film had more detail on the film then could be shown in standard definition (SD) TV. Going back to the film sources and retransfering them to an HD format thus regains detail. However, these new transfers can't get an new image outside of the original image frame, so in most cases, changing the aspect ratio (say from 4:3 to the 16:9 of HDTVs) isn't possible without losing some image.

For video games, it's very different, since in most cases there's no pre-defined image, and most of the on-screen image is rendered on-the-fly. This is how games offer different resolutions. They take all the individual elements and render it for the given resolution as the game is running. So modifications like higher detail texture packs and higher resolutions are possible. The game simply takes the new elements and generates it for a new resolution.

For a change in aspect ratio in the game, it's a bit more complicated, but typically because of the UI. The UI may have been designed to fit a 4:3 frame, so rendering it in 16:10 or 16:9 may cause a UI element that is intended to appear in a corner to appear more in the middle of the screen. Still, mods are possible to re-arrange the UI for a new aspect ratio. As far as rendering in a new aspect ratio goes, the closest comparison to film would be some of the CGI Pixar films, such as A Bug's Life, where they went back an re-rendered some shots for the 4:3 "Full Frame" DVD of the film. in this case, the computer elements were always there out of frame, they were just re-rendered for the new aspect ratio.

Classic Gem Promo

60% Off Omikron: The Nomad Soul - $3.99

Fun Fact: I've owned this game for the Dreamcast since 2000, and I've yet to put it in the disc tray, let alone play it.
I've got it for Dreamcast (never played it, natch), but I think I got it on PC and only played a little because I was confused by the gameplay. I don't think I could face the blocky graphics after playing modern games.

Actually, silent film had a standard aspect ratio of 4:3, or 1.33:1...
Most of this is covered in this great video: http://vimeo.com/68830569

Weekend deal

60% Off Adventures From Daedalic

Deponia - $7.99
Deponia 2: Chaos on Deponia - $7.99
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout + Harvey's New Eyes - $7.99
Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav, The - $7.99
The Night of the Rabbit - $11.99
Whispered World, The - $5.99
A New Beginning - Final Cut - $3.99

Note: These games were on sale during the summer sale. It was a stacking sale, so it was 50% off per game, or 75% off if you bought each game in the bundle. If you only want a few games from this collection, this is a better deal.

There's a "pick 5 games for 80% discount" too. Too bad I already have most of them on Steam
Yeah, I was working on an update to my post when you posted this. It probably deserves it's own post though, so I'll just do it here.

Special promo

80% off High 5 Promo

Basically, you pick 5 games from the following list and you save 80%. A sort of Build-A-Bundle if you will. Price listed is after discount.

Alan Wake's American Nightmare - $2.00
Alan Wake - $5.00
Blackwell Bundle - $3.00
Torchlight - $2.00
Primordia - $2.00
Tiny and Big: Grandpa's Leftovers - $2.00
Zafehouse: Diaries - $2.00
Miasmata - $2.00
Strike Suit Zero - $4.00
Evoland - $2.00
Puddle - $2.00
Driftmoon - $3.00