GOG Deals Thread

Pretty good sale, but I didn't pick up anything. Hopefully Deponia will hit as a normal sale during the year. I guess they're doing something right as I passed it up on Steam so that I can grab it on GoG.

[quote name='n64ra']Am I the only one that was sad that they just rehashed the individual deals after having the full lot early on?[/QUOTE]

Nah, you aren't. It was a crappy decision on their part. The whole "75% off only if you buy the full bundle" thing was crappy too, although some bundles didn't require you to buy the whole thing to get 75% off. I'm actually really glad the sales are over, now we can get back to the regular weekly sales.

The GoG winter sale was a flop in my book. The only thing I bought was XII because it was going to be pulled (and is better than my $0.90 PS2 version). The bundles were too large and included too much stuff I didn't want or stuff I own from elsewhere (e.g. the bundle with Giana, I owned three of the games from recent indie bundles). I'd probably have bought more with their normal sales (or slightly enhanced).

[quote name='asheskitty']The GoG winter sale was a flop in my book. The only thing I bought was XII because it was going to be pulled (and is better than my $0.90 PS2 version). The bundles were too large and included too much stuff I didn't want or stuff I own from elsewhere (e.g. the bundle with Giana, I owned three of the games from recent indie bundles). I'd probably have bought more with their normal sales (or slightly enhanced).[/QUOTE]

I agree. There are quite a few games on the site I'd buy at 75% off but the only ones that showed up in the sale were in bundles with a bunch of crap I didn't want.

[quote name='asheskitty']The GoG winter sale was a flop in my book. The only thing I bought was XII because it was going to be pulled (and is better than my $0.90 PS2 version). The bundles were too large and included too much stuff I didn't want or stuff I own from elsewhere (e.g. the bundle with Giana, I owned three of the games from recent indie bundles). I'd probably have bought more with their normal sales (or slightly enhanced).[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the bundles were tough due to owning parts of them on other services. I did grab Chronicles of Riddick cheap, though. Cheaper than it has been on Steam plus none of the horrific DRM. That makes the sale a win in my book.

I for one thought it was a kickass sale. 75% off anything on GOG is stellar, naturally. That I owned almost nothing in the 75% off bundles was a blessing, as I was able to score gobs of games at absurd prices. The only bundle that wasn't the greatest value proposition for me was the Cyberpunk/Steampunk bundle since I already have Anachronox and have Deus Ex/IW through Steam... and I still would have purchased it if I had more money to throw around.

Being paid weekly, I managed to score bank account infusions just in time to bite on the midway and end-of-sale deal reprisals, so I'm grateful for those and wish they'd pop up more often elsewhere (hello, Xbox). So my total haul is as follows:

Duke 3D of course
Bullfrog bundle
Sierra adventure bundle
Might & Magic bundle
Dungeons & Dragons bundle
XIII
Feeble Files
Little Big Adventure 2

I wish they had Steam-style flash deals on individual games. There were several titles I had planned to pick up during this sale that I passed on in favor of massive discounts on bundles. Maybe next time...

[quote name='n64ra']Am I the only one that was sad that they just rehashed the individual deals after having the full lot early on?[/QUOTE]

You're not alone, the sale was effectively over for me after that first day of all the specials. I bought everything I wanted then and that was it.

I thought they'd finally managed to add some excitement to their usual boring end of year sale (where everything is just discounted at the start of the sale and that's it) but then they went and ruined it.

Ever since I've just been waiting for this sale to end so we could actually have some new offers.

At least it was (briefly) an improvement on their previous sales though, which is more than you can say about the steam sale this year!

GOG upped the ante this year, even though the deep discounts were seen in bundles. Plus, the free expansions were very cool (Hell yea, Alien Crossfire!) as was a free Duke Nukem 3D.
The only thing I ended up purchasing was the Back to the Future game, though.

It was a good deal considering GOG prices. But I do wish more bundles were like the Scandanavian bundle where you could pick what you wanted.

Or at least decent tiered ones that don't suck.

I bought like 4 or 5 games I think

Don't get me wrong. I still ended up with 8 games via bundles plus free Duke - at the first day of all the specials. The rest of the days were useless.

[quote name='sleeping_lights_on']Would have bought a ton of games, if I could have gotten bundle prices without the bundle. But then I didn't buy anything.[/QUOTE]

This, although more like a few than a ton.

The weekend deal is Digital Game Factory titles at 60% off:

Commandos: Ammo Pack $2.39
Commandos 2+3 Pack $3.99
Praetorians $2.39
Mob Rule $2.39
Constructor $2.39
Imperial Glory $2.39
Creatures: The Albion Years $2.39
Creatures: Village $2.39
Creatures: Exodus $2.39

The Commandos games were cheaper (75% off) in a package deal over christmas, I think the rest of the games are as cheap as they've ever been on GOG.

Hmm... Missed the Creatures games last time they were on sale. Might have to grab them this time around.

And I can confirm that the last time these were on sale, they were 60% off.

Since Commandos is on sale, this is a good time to ask.

Anyone have good Steam Grid view icons for them? The Steam defaults for all but #3 are horrible.

I wish Constructor had an in-game tutorial. Lot of my friends wax rhapsodic about it, but I haven't a damn idea how to play it or what to do.

[quote name='hamberger']I wish Constructor had an in-game tutorial. Lot of my friends wax rhapsodic about it, but I haven't a damn idea how to play it or what to do.[/QUOTE]
It has a manual........

[quote name='u.v.bunny']The weekend deal is Digital Game Factory titles at 60% off:

Commandos: Ammo Pack $2.39
Commandos 2+3 Pack $3.99
Praetorians $2.39
Mob Rule $2.39
Constructor $2.39
Imperial Glory $2.39
Creatures: The Albion Years $2.39
Creatures: Village $2.39
Creatures: Exodus $2.39

The Commandos games were cheaper (75% off) in a package deal over christmas, I think the rest of the games are as cheap as they've ever been on GOG.[/QUOTE]
Praetorians and Imperial Glory are actually pretty good, but I got them off Indie Gala...

Guilty Gear games on sale! Updated the OP.

For $2 each, that's a steal. For anyone who's new to the series, X2 #Reload is the staple one to grab, while Isuka is kind of an odd Double Dragon/Guilty Gear fusion.

Grabbing them both, myself. No idea about the other games on sale.

[quote name='Idiotekque']Guilty Gear games on sale! Updated the OP.

For $2 each, that's a steal. For anyone who's new to the series, X2 #Reload is the staple one to grab, while Isuka is kind of an odd Double Dragon/Guilty Gear fusion.

Grabbing them both, myself. No idea about the other games on sale.[/QUOTE]

Quite a few of these are looking pretty interesting.

As a side note: I was interested in grabbing Normality. I've never played it, but I'm a huge adventure game fan. One of the reviews for it states that the version GOG has is (from my understanding) a British version. Apparently the North American version had Corey Feldman as the main character, and this is something of a nostalgic thing for many gamers.

So it might not make a difference if you never played it before and don't put much stock on whose voice is in the game, but it's enough to make me think I'd rather take my chance waiting for GOG to get the "original" and/or securing a second hand copy.

[quote name='Idiotekque']Guilty Gear games on sale! Updated the OP.

Grabbing them both, myself. No idea about the other games on sale.[/QUOTE]

I picked up GG X2 Reload a couple years ago and enjoyed it (didn't play it for more than a few hours, I confess). For under $2.50, I just might pick up GG Isuka, I mean sure it's only 3 GOG-star but a non-indie fighting game on PC for that price... (I wonder how many GOG-stars Bad Rats would get...)

I'm also a bit tempted by Slipstream 5000. I remember playing it a little bit back in day (never owned it myself). I'd love to see this class of game get some modern entries.

To be honest, I think Isuka has bad ratings because those are coming from hardcore fans (and GG veterans are pretty "hardcore"). It's a totally different game, and they wanted it to be just like the rest of the series.

[quote name='Idiotekque']To be honest, I think Isuka has bad ratings because those are coming from hardcore fans (and GG veterans are pretty "hardcore"). It's a totally different game, and they wanted it to be just like the rest of the series.[/QUOTE]

Hmm, in contrast GG Isuka has 4.2 stars (217 votes) on GG. Oddly GG lists it as 630 MB while GOG lists it as 394 MB. I decided that I'll somehow mange being 2.39$ poorer.

[quote name='asheskitty']Hmm, in contrast GG Isuka has 4.2 stars (217 votes) on GG. Oddly GG lists it as 630 MB while GOG lists it as 394 MB. I decided that I'll somehow mange being 2.39$ poorer.[/QUOTE]
You ain't sleeping on my couch when you're out of money and living on the streets.

[quote name='asheskitty']I picked up GG X2 Reload a couple years ago and enjoyed it (didn't play it for more than a few hours, I confess). For under $2.50, I just might pick up GG Isuka, I mean sure it's only 3 GOG-star but a non-indie fighting game on PC for that price... (I wonder how many GOG-stars Bad Rats would get...)

I'm also a bit tempted by Slipstream 5000. I remember playing it a little bit back in day (never owned it myself). I'd love to see this class of game get some modern entries.[/QUOTE]

Isuka it's really, really bad. The new system is broken and painful to play.

[quote name='Idiotekque']You ain't sleeping on my couch when you're out of money and living on the streets.[/QUOTE]

I would think it's because of the mange?

[quote name='stupidproz1']Someone convince me to buy the guilty gear games, I'm having trouble pulling the trigger =P[/QUOTE]
They're the most legit hardcore Japanese fighting games out there. Your fingers will bleed.

I still could never beat Dizzy. A.B.A. was my character though, so she may or may not be hard to use or not very good.

Or I suck, or all of the above.

[quote name='Idiotekque']To be honest, I think Isuka has bad ratings because those are coming from hardcore fans (and GG veterans are pretty "hardcore"). It's a totally different game, and they wanted it to be just like the rest of the series.[/QUOTE]
While we certainly are pretty "hardcore", the bigger problem stems from the fact that Isuka's implementation of 4 player fighting isn't so well done. First off, having a button dedicated to changing your facing (facing left vs right) feels very clumsy in a series renowned for it's tight controls. Second, the levels are divided into a fore and back ground: two planes that players will alternate between. (Fore can't interact with background, and vice versa, though you can swap between them)

All in all, they were trying to make a for fun party game and the controls/execution just happened to end up pretty clumsy as a result. I'd still say it's worth the $2.XX though. Co-op play (be it in Boost mode or Arcade) is a hell of a lot of fun, A.B.A.'s introduction to the series was a great move, and it has what I'd easily consider one of the best Guilty Gear soundtracks to date. :D

That was all in regards to Isuka specifically. As for #Reload? Buy that shit now if you don't own it. Easily one of the best fighting games ever made, let alone on PC. :D

[quote name='whitereflection']I'm trying to order Guilty Gear and it won't let me checkout with PayPal as payment. Anyone else have this issue?[/QUOTE]

I bought GG Isuka via paypal fine a few hours ago. I've never had payment problems with GOG.

Eh, that's really irritating. I try to use the Xbox 360 controller as I read it has controller support (Guilty Gear X2), and sure, it works fine until I try to map actions to the triggers, which just won't pick up in the game.

Anyone know a way around this? I'd really rather not have to deal with JoyToKey, I abhor that program and I'm not going to spend money on XPadder.

I'm not about to beat my keyboard to hell playing a game like this, and there just aren't enough buttons on the 360 controller to cover the game's actions without the triggers.

EDIT: Eh, and that's the beginning of the problems. It seems like you can only use certain keys to map attacks. Basically you've got U, I, O and a couple others, and if you map those to something else, they still link to the controller's counterparts to those buttons, so you can't say "I want P K S or Dust mapped to the spacebar while the rest of my actions are controller buttons", because it simply won't let you.

I have NO idea how even JoyToKey is going to fix this. If you have a 360 controller, you're just given counterpart buttons on your controller that go to the keyboard buttons. That kind of kills the ability to use JoyToKey at all here.

I'm thoroughly frustrated and confused. There doesn't seem to be anything about this online, I don't get it.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Idiotekque']Eh, that's really irritating. I try to use the Xbox 360 controller as I read it has controller support (Guilty Gear X2), and sure, it works fine until I try to map actions to the triggers, which just won't pick up in the game.

Anyone know a way around this? I'd really rather not have to deal with JoyToKey, I abhor that program and I'm not going to spend money on XPadder.

I'm not about to beat my keyboard to hell playing a game like this, and there just aren't enough buttons on the 360 controller to cover the game's actions without the triggers.

EDIT: Eh, and that's the beginning of the problems. It seems like you can only use certain keys to map attacks. Basically you've got U, I, O and a couple others, and if you map those to something else, they still link to the controller's counterparts to those buttons, so you can't say "I want P K S or Dust mapped to the spacebar while the rest of my actions are controller buttons", because it simply won't let you.

I have NO idea how even JoyToKey is going to fix this. If you have a 360 controller, you're just given counterpart buttons on your controller that go to the keyboard buttons. That kind of kills the ability to use JoyToKey at all here.

I'm thoroughly frustrated and confused. There doesn't seem to be anything about this online, I don't get it.[/QUOTE]

http://www.gog.com/forum/guilty_gear_series/mapping_l2r2_to_a_xbox_360_controller

Edit: I confirmed this works. Launch the config app (not config from inside the game), go to the joystick tab, check the Z-axis box. Hit apply. Then go through the mappings for all the buttons. L2 should be 1ZMIN and R2 should be 1ZMAX. Xinput (360) maps the triggers to the positive and negative halves of the Z-axis.

Also if you have a DirectInput controller (RumblePad 2, F310, F710, etc) that'll probably work just fine -- I can check this.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='elessar123']Bridget's hawt.[/QUOTE]
True, but you know he's a boy, right?

[quote name='asheskitty']http://www.gog.com/forum/guilty_gear_series/mapping_l2r2_to_a_xbox_360_controller

Also if you have a DirectInput controller (RumblePad 2, F310, F710, etc) that'll probably work just fine -- I can check this.[/QUOTE]
Been searching like crazy, and "Guilty Gear X2 #Reload GOG Xbox 360 Controller" was my first Google search and that didn't come up for me. Hopefully that works, thanks.

@Idiot

Launch the config app (not config from inside the game), go to the joystick tab, check the Z-axis box. Hit apply. Then go through the mappings for all the buttons. L2 should be 1ZMIN and R2 should be 1ZMAX. Xinput (360) maps the triggers to the positive and negative halves of the Z-axis.

[quote name='elessar123']Lies! She's no trap! How can a boy be called Bridget?[/QUOTE]
It's okay, straight dudes are allowed to be into traps. :)

(Don't quote me on that.)

[quote name='asheskitty']@Idiot

Launch the config app (not config from inside the game), go to the joystick tab, check the Z-axis box. Hit apply. Then go through the mappings for all the buttons. L2 should be 1ZMIN and R2 should be 1ZMAX. Xinput (360) maps the triggers to the positive and negative halves of the Z-axis.[/QUOTE]
Yup, figured it out a bit ago and didn't post. Got two controllers working for split-screen co-op and the game runs great!

Takes a little effort to get it set up, but that was $2 very well spent. The game is a hell of a lot of fun playing against people who suck just as badly as you. :D

The weekend deal is: ~20 Awesome Games 60% off
Apache vs. Havoc $2.39
Comanche vs. Hokum $2.39
Combat Chess $2.39
Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord $3.99
Darkstar One $3.99
Disciples: Sacred Lands: Gold $2.39
Disciples 2: Gold $3.99
Flatout $2.39
Ghost Master $2.39
Jagged Alliance $2.39
Jagged Alliance: Deadly Games $2.39