GOG Deals Thread

My mutator game was Capitalism 2 - wtf. If GOG wanted me to use the mutator more than once, they should have given me something off my wishlist.
My guess is that someones wishlist has nothing to do with this despite this in the promo:

Can your personal wishlist rig the outcome of the experiment? Who knows!
Means, out of our pool of games we can sell for 2$ some of them are bound to be on some buyers wishlist somewhere

These are the supposed mutagen games this round, according to the GOG thread posted earlier:

2009-01-27 In Cold Blood
2012-08-30 Back to the Future:The Game
2013-03-21 Syndicate Wars
2013-04-24 Dyad
2013-04-30 Great Battles Collector's Edition
2013-05-14: Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Laude: Uncut and Uncensored!
2013-06-04 Inherit The Earth
2013-06-11 Jade Empire
2013-07-09 Ring Runner: Flight of the Sages
2013-08-01 Jack Keane
2013-08-28 Shelter
2013-10-03 Smugglers V
2014-03-04 Tower of Guns
2014-03-11 1954 Alcatraz
2014-03-18 Luftrausers
2014-04-08 Beatbuddy: Tale of the Guardians
2014-04-18 Last Federation, The
2014-05-08 F-117A Nighthawk Stealth Fighter 2.0
2014-05-20 Vertical Drop Heroes HD
2014-07-23 Unrest: Special Edition
2014-08-12 Gone Home
2014-09-23 Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition
Nothing I want that I don't already have, so it's an easy pass.

This sale is pretty lame.  I wish they would just quit with these gimmicks.  The only way this mutator stuff would ever work is if they made sure not to include games also released on Steam (but I'm sure their hardcore fanbase would start a riot if they did).  The other day there were a few games I was considering, but I checked the mutators and two were Steam repeats for me so I decided not to buy anything at all.  

I've really liked this promo so far. My mutators have been:

Chains of Satinav - $19.99

In Cold Blood - $5.99

Luftstrausers - $9.99

Tower of Guns - $14.99

Eador - $5.99

King of Dragon Pass - $5.99

Which comes out to around an 81% discount on top of my sale purchases. I think King of Dragon Pass is the only one I won't even end up trying.

If anything, I like their gimmicks more than Steams. Aside from the coal promotion from several years ago, everything has become so dependent on cards and badges the sales are boring. I end up just checking the dailies and not even bothering with the meta games or voting.

In Cold Blood - $5.99

Luftstrausers - $9.99

Tower of Guns - $14.99

Eador - $5.99

Which comes out to around an 81% discount on top of my sale purchases. I think King of Dragon Pass is the only one I won't even end up trying.

If anything, I like their gimmicks more than Steams. Aside from the coal promotion from several years ago, everything has become so dependent on cards and badges the sales are boring. I end up just checking the dailies and not even bothering with the meta games or voting.
I won't deny GOG is still doing better than Steam, my problem with a lot of their promotions is they try to force purchase of a larger quantities of games and the whole mystery business.

I guess I can understand why they want you to buy as much stuff as possible, it just sucks that they do the whole "Buy every game on this list to get 75% off or buy only the ones you want for 60% off." With this promo you have to buy 3 games to participate. Yesterday I found one game I really wanted (URU), one game I was somewhat curious about (Theme Hospital) and then I would have just gotten a third game for the heck of it just to potentially see the mutators.

Then with the mutators I won't assume they have nefarious purpose, I assume they genuinely want to add an element of surprise to their sales, but it really only works for the anti-DRM diehards who only shop on GOG. Otherwise I risk getting a duplicate game from Steam and then in the case of stuff I got from Humble, even the DRM Free copy would be a duplicate since Humble provides those. As great of a deal as $2 might be, it's a complete waste of money in those cases.

For today there's a few mutators on the list I would like, but there aren't three games on sale I'm really interested in.

This sale is pretty lame. I wish they would just quit with these gimmicks. The only way this mutator stuff would ever work is if they made sure not to include games also released on Steam (but I'm sure their hardcore fanbase would start a riot if they did). The other day there were a few games I was considering, but I checked the mutators and two were Steam repeats for me so I decided not to buy anything at all.
BcnMxf3.png

I won't deny GOG is still doing better than Steam, my problem with a lot of their promotions is they try to force purchase of a larger quantities of games and the whole mystery business.

I guess I can understand why they want you to buy as much stuff as possible, it just sucks that they do the whole "Buy every game on this list to get 75% off or buy only the ones you want for 60% off." With this promo you have to buy 3 games to participate. Yesterday I found one game I really wanted (URU), one game I was somewhat curious about (Theme Hospital) and then I would have just gotten a third game for the heck of it just to potentially see the mutators.

Then with the mutators I won't assume they have nefarious purpose, I assume they genuinely want to add an element of surprise to their sales, but it really only works for the anti-DRM diehards who only shop on GOG. Otherwise I risk getting a duplicate game from Steam and then in the case of stuff I got from Humble, even the DRM Free copy would be a duplicate since Humble provides those. As great of a deal as $2 might be, it's a complete waste of money in those cases.

For today there's a few mutators on the list I would like, but there aren't three games on sale I'm really interested in.
I agree with a lot fo your points. Their non-gimmicky sales aren't very good. I also dislike the need to buy a bunch of games to get a good deal.

I also understand your multiple copies issue, but thats something that will happen with any service. I think one of the good things that has come out of this sale is that there are a lot of community suggested features to fix the duplication issue, either by merging accounts or at least allowing users to set games as owned on other services to prevent redundancies caused by these random promos. If you all get a chance, please head over there and vote for them.

In Cold Blood - $5.99

Luftstrausers - $9.99

Tower of Guns - $14.99

Eador - $5.99

King of Dragon Pass is a solid game. I have enjoyed it, while just meddling with it. Try it... it is different then anything else you have ever played.

King of Dragon Pass is a solid game. I have enjoyed it, while just meddling with it. Try it... it is different then anything else you have ever played.
I was actually just going to post something similar to this, but it seems I've been outposted :p

Still, I'll just elaborate on what Simpson said, just so you know how ruddy delightful KoDP is for a game.

Anyway, in my 40 or so years of playing video games, I'd have to say King of Dragon Pass is easily in my top 10 games of all time (maybe even in my top 5, to be quite honest). It's a perfect blend of RPG/strategy-esque with some adventure and interactive novel mechanics. As Simpson said, it's not like any other game I've ever come across, and it really and truly is worth at least one playthrough (which basically is like telling a child they're only allowed to eat *one* Drumstick lolly; you'll want to play it over and over and over and over and over again).

One word of note, however: Even though the PC version of KoDP has most definitely stood the test of time, if you have an iPad/iPhone, I strongly suggest playing the iOS version instead. The developer has actually released a brilliantly updated and enhanced port, however, peculiarly enough, they never made this recent version available for PC (for what reason I do not know).

Nevertheless, my words can't give that game enough praise, as it really is utterly fantastic.

Just know you've been warned, though; it's MASSIVELY addicting... Just make sure when you start, you have several litres of water on hand, a box full of MREs, and a day or two with nothing penciled in on your calendar. :drool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Today's sale is just a recap of all the previous sale games in this promotion.
I didn't pay any attention at all during the first mutator phase, but I know there are some games up for purchase as part of the promo today that weren't part of phase 2. Broken Age, Soulbringer, Total Overdose, not sure what else.

In a way I'm glad I didn't check out the list of potential mutators, as I probably would have completely backed out. As it is, out of nine surprises, there were two I really wanted (In Cold Blood, Tower of Guns) and two I could live without (Great Battles and Sword of the Samurai). Inherit the Earth or Guacamelee would've been nice...

I'm kind of feeling like a gambling man...but I own pretty much everything I would want from gog.com. I'm one of the 200+ games crowd and considering that's on GOG it's quite a lot. I have supported them enough and I'm sure i'll get my missing adventure games and RPG games someday...as well as the few old games they still bring to the service once in a blue moon. 

Direct link to the Blade Of Darkness store page for those in a hurry. As I post this, there's only 41 minutes left to buy.

EDIT: I already own the game, but thanks to Spoder for the heads up.

Stop it, guys.

Next GOG promo is going to be "Remove a game every day for a month" and they will make a fortune from you hoarders paying full price.  

Codemasters? Having a game removed because they're too cheap to keep paying to keep stuff on sale?

Why the hell is anyone surprised? They suck.

On the stream, they said that the free game is not currently available on GOG. So whatever the game ends up being, it should be an easy +1 to any GOG library.

On the stream, they said that the free game is not currently available on GOG. So whatever the game ends up being, it should be an easy +1 to any GOG library.
Hmm, interesting. I went back and skimmed through the GOG thread that spoder linked to, and I noticed one intriguing possibility. Somebody suggested Payday:The Heist. The devs are gonna give away that game on steam on the 16th. Which will overlap the period when the mystery game is going to be given away on GOG. An interesting coincidence.

Personally though, I'm hoping that it's No One Lives Forever.

So it's either a new release or a game that was removed before? If so, I'd like it to be Second Sight, but I doubt that's going to happen

Im more interested in that they said they are doing this to test out the multiplayer aspect of galaxy, so Im hoping that means galaxy will be released tomorrow  (though i assume more likely at the end of the year or early next year if they are strain testing the multiplayer now)

So it's either a new release or a game that was removed before? If so, I'd like it to be Second Sight, but I doubt that's going to happen
When I watched the stream, I didn't get the impression it was something that has been removed. I don't remember exactly how they phrased it, but the way I understood it was that the game would be new to GOG.

Hmm, interesting. I went back and skimmed through the GOG thread that spoder linked to, and I noticed one intriguing possibility. Somebody suggested Payday:The Heist. The devs are gonna give away that game on steam on the 16th. Which will overlap the period when the mystery game is going to be given away on GOG. An interesting coincidence.

People in the thread I linked are saying it has multiplayer.. so Payday seems most likely. Disappointing, but it makes sense that they're trying to show off GOG Galaxy

I'll pull a MysterD and invite you to reminisce with me about the time, many moons ago, when I found the No One Lives Forever Game of the Year Edition big box at Wal-Mart around Christmas for $5.

sSAWwnF.png

The soundtrack is pretty groovy.

I pretty much have every game I want to buy from gog, but if they brought back nolf then I'd be all over that in one of their goofy sales.

I'll pull a MysterD and invite you to reminisce with me about the time, many moons ago, when I found the No One Lives Forever Game of the Year Edition big box at Wal-Mart around Christmas for $5.
I'm pretty sure I spent $15 or $20 on that, myself. On sale at Hastings, as I recall.

Does Goozex still have a decent market of games? I remember getting some excellent ones during the PS2 days, and it being one of my main ways to get games, but saw it recently (within the last 2 years) and it was complete garbage it seemed. 

Does Goozex still have a decent market of games? I remember getting some excellent ones during the PS2 days, and it being one of my main ways to get games, but saw it recently (within the last 2 years) and it was complete garbage it seemed.
... Goozex ceased to exist completely and absolutely on December 31, 2013. Leaving tons of folks with unspent credits.

fuckers.

... Goozex ceased to exist completely and absolutely on December 31, 2013. Leaving tons of folks with unspent credits.

fuckers.
Yep. I used most of my credit I bought during one of their sales on credit (which I should have taken as a sign the service was going to shit) but I was still left with a couple hundred wasted points because for the last year or so of its existence all they had was shitty demo games available on the site.

bread's done
Back