Gone but not forgotten - CAGs of the past

Wasn't there a guy named "CIF king"? Cash in face king? He always had awesome grabs in the yard sale thread. I've been on this site for ages, but trade very rarely.

there was a guy who claimed to have gotten some discount from a retailer honored even though it was cancelled.  Then a rep from the retailer came on cag and was like "we did no such thing".  I know the member but I forget who the retailer was.  Anyone remember?

I think the people talking about the good ol' days sometimes are looking through their rose tinted glasses. Not everything was straight out of Leave it to Beaver eight or ten years ago.

I remember specifically the Best Buy bucks. The forum went crazy for a while I believe with those. You could double dip by using the one time use code online and then going into stores and using it there too. So for like 78 cents you could at least get two best buy dollars and maybe more if you were lucky (with one of those five or ten dollar codes). I remember a few people beat the SASE system by sending one big envelope filled with like 100 SASEs inside. That way it was only like 33 cents each.

Second I remember is the Pepsi Points. The good stuff was cleaned out instantly. After about two days there were no more DVDs (wish I could've got the Voltron ones hah) or anything else good. I think the biggest exploit was that there was some Pepsi version of 2nd Life you could play to get points. So people just set up auto clickers to get the codes and save them. I think there were some autoclicker / autoform filler talk when filling out some online form for free ones too.

So really, the MS points thing on facebook is just par for the course. I remember there were definitely a few things similar with iTunes on facebook like 6 or 7 years ago. People were making dozens and dozens of accounts for $5 iTunes codes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember when GameStop's website was glitched and one could stack multiple coupon codes on used games, getting 15% off + 15% off + 25% off + free shipping (+ another 10% off if you had a membership)?

I think that was the turning point for the site. So many folks jumped on that, using special CAG-exclusive codes... abusing the hell out of the system.

Of course, this also reminds me of the old "Morning Update" for EBGames.com - when they'd load all the new used stuff into the system. Those were the glory days. ;)

HAHAHA that was a shitshow. People were getting charged a year later for the memberships. I still have a preorder for Last Guardian on ps3 through Amazon with that discount. Someday I'll get that game

HAHAHA that was a shitshow. People were getting charged a year later for the memberships. I still have a preorder for Last Guardian on ps3 through Amazon with that discount. Someday I'll get that game
You can actually call Amazon up and have them keep adding other games to that order and have them be discounted as well. As long as you still have The Last Guardian on there, the order will stay open. Just select to have them shipped as they become available.

I've been here a while but in the last 3-4 years my posting has taken a dive. CAG seemed to have a lot more traffic back in the mid 2000's. As for old members I remember a few:

The VGM - He started the first fighting game thread. Guy was a troll, always looking for a fight. Annoying as shit, but sometimes entertaining.

punksuq - He popped my internet argument cherry. I pretty much went down in flames.

Markman - Used to post in the FGT all the time. I've seen him on GAF

I think the people talking about the good ol' days sometimes are looking through their rose tinted glasses. Not everything was straight out of Leave it to Beaver eight or ten years ago.

I remember specifically the Best Buy bucks. The forum went crazy for a while I believe with those. You could double dip by using the one time use code online and then going into stores and using it there too. So for like 78 cents you could at least get two best buy dollars and maybe more if you were lucky (with one of those five or ten dollar codes). I remember a few people beat the SASE system by sending one big envelope filled with like 100 SASEs inside. That way it was only like 33 cents each.

Second I remember is the Pepsi Points. The good stuff was cleaned out instantly. After about two days there were no more DVDs (wish I could've got the Voltron ones hah) or anything else good. I think the biggest exploit was that there was some Pepsi version of 2nd Life you could play to get points. So people just set up auto clickers to get the codes and save them. I think there were some autoclicker / autoform filler talk when filling out some online form for free ones too.

So really, the MS points thing on facebook is just par for the course. I remember there were definitely a few things similar with iTunes on facebook like 6 or 7 years ago. People were making dozens and dozens of accounts for $5 iTunes codes.
I remember the Pepsi one. I was able to get the Voltron set. The way it worked was you had to click something and then it asked for an email address. After that I think it gave a code and you just put it in your Amazon account. I was able to get a lot of DVDs from that. The only ones that were worth it that I remember getting was the Voltron set.

I remember this. Didn't they do a 30 day free trial on it? I don't remember paying much and was one of the lucky few that were able to get out without an issue. I don't even remember what I had ordered with the code they gave.

I remember the Pepsi one. I was able to get the Voltron set. The way it worked was you had to click something and then it asked for an email address. After that I think it gave a code and you just put it in your Amazon account. I was able to get a lot of DVDs from that. The only ones that were worth it that I remember getting was the Voltron set.
Now I remember, people were using the auto clicker for the 2nd life thing and then just tons of spoof throwaway emails for the form thing.

Anyone know why Dmaul was banned? Did he have some trading violation?
He was pissed at the direction the site was going in and then asked to be banned. You can find him on neogaf if you want to look him up.

speedracer did the same thing, but I don't think he's on the gaf.

Saucy Jack
I really, really wish that I still had his contact information. He was a genuinely cool guy. He and I exchanged mail a few times. I gave him some wrestling themes, and he gave me a compilation of Jushin Thunder Liger matches. He was a great guy.

I really, really wish that I still had his contact information. He was a genuinely cool guy. He and I exchanged mail a few times. I gave him some wrestling themes, and he gave me a compilation of Jushin Thunder Liger matches. He was a great guy.
There's someone with the same name who posts on the TV Guide News comment section. I'm not sure if it's the same guy, though.

There's someone with the same name who posts on the TV Guide News comment section. I'm not sure if it's the same guy, though.
That's really random, but I doubt it's him. From what I remember, he didn't watch much TV outside of wrestling. He had some personal issues going on for a while then just kind of fell off the grid. I hope he's doing well.

He was pissed at the direction the site was going in and then asked to be banned. You can find him on neogaf if you want to look him up.

speedracer did the same thing, but I don't think he's on the gaf.
I don't know if it was him or speedracer, but I remember some time back someone asking to be banned because of the site. I forgot all about it till you made this post. Glad some of the members are gone even though they made things interesting, but it also sucks some of the ones that are gone left. Seems like the time that most of these members were around CAG was a much smaller community.

Remember when GameStop's website was glitched and one could stack multiple coupon codes on used games, getting 15% off + 15% off + 25% off + free shipping (+ another 10% off if you had a membership)?

I think that was the turning point for the site. So many folks jumped on that, using special CAG-exclusive codes... abusing the hell out of the system.

Of course, this also reminds me of the old "Morning Update" for EBGames.com - when they'd load all the new used stuff into the system. Those were the glory days. ;)
That brings back memories. I would check the ebgames thread before going to work...sometimes shopping at work.

Maybe it's because I got older, or the thrill of getting a deal went away, or the games changed but I quickly lost interest after the PS3/360 came out.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/104552-who-is-inked/

I think the wooden spoon thread got deleted.

edit - Wait. I think this is it. http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/120977-did-i-just-fall-victim-to-this-xbox-live-card-scam/

4xw0qc8.jpg
Wow. Bringing back memories here. :)

We can't seem to keep mods around here.

Punksux, wubb, and guin all come to mind.
The loss of wubb directly contributed to the downfall of CAG. We really lost a true hero.

But really, this thread is just a downer. So much has changed. I agree with the previous posters that it's really mainly due to the general deals landscape having changed. We used to find deals that weren't widely known. Eventually, retailers caught on, and even made accounts on this site. It went from finding deals and taking advantage of them to having deals made to cater directly to us.

I also contribute the focus on the CAGcast to the downfall of the forums. I feel like you saw this coming years ago.

Seeing shrike talk about the downfall of the site... who would've thought. :'[

RE: Saucy Jack, I think he has popped into the OTT from time to time. I know some of us had seen him on Live sometimes, but the reality is that that was probably 2-3 years ago.

Man I remember the EBgames morning updates. That was a good Summer back in 06? Idk much about this site since I stopped regularly following it back in 09. I had some... issues back then.

All this waxing romantics got me thinking back to over 10 years ago when I first found this site. It was different. It was much more niche and personal. I remember the XBlive group for the OG Xbox. Playing Burnout 3 and Halo 2 with Cheapy, Jimmy and all the CAG regulars before this site blew up and some of them became pseudo internet stars. Good times.

It crazy how far we've come since then. I won't lie I miss the smaller tighter community full of good people, as well as assholes.

Personally, I think the deals just aren't as good anymore. When I joined, Amazon(and others) were giving $20 pre-order credits, Buy.com wasn't a creditcard theft magnet, LE's weren't pushing $120, and msrp drops didn't come as quickly. I mean we have 2 week old games dropping to $40 within 2 weeks of release sometimes.
A lot of us warned people this would start once CC went under and we were proven right. There was a reprieve when Josh was running the KMart deals but well KMart corporate incompetence finally overwhelmed him and his team.

A lot of us warned people this would start once CC went under and we were proven right. There was a reprieve when Josh was running the KMart deals but well KMart corporate incompetence finally overwhelmed him and his team.
I loved those Kmart deals. I remember alot of people were angry because it seemed the fazed out the good deals for clearance when they started doing those.

The Kmart deals had me buying more new games than I probably ever had and haven't come close to since. Rolling those $20 coupons from new game to new game

I loved those Kmart deals. I remember alot of people were angry because it seemed the fazed out the good deals for clearance when they started doing those.

The Kmart deals had me buying more new games than I probably ever had and haven't come close to since. Rolling those $20 coupons from new game to new game
No kidding. Between Best Buy, Amazon, and TRU(Kmart was kinda far for me), I was buying new games like crazy. The $20 coupons/credit/giftcards were awesome. There was one girl that worked the games section at TRU that would activate the giftcards on the day of purchase rather than the next for me. I miss that.

I really think part of it is the deals have just went away. It was said that once Circuit City went under the Best Buy deals would never be the same and they haven't.

Also it's odd this being the thread that when I saw your name I thought that's a name I haven't seen in some time. Guess I just haven't seen your posts or haven't noticed they were from you.

One person I didn't see mentioned was lilboo. He had a few hilarious stories of his fabulous gay life that were pretty amazing. Dunno what ever happened to him.

The Speedy1961 vs Circuit City fiasco was gold. I remember CC trying to get Cheapy to reveal his real name and all that. Too funny.

The CAG vs ECA war occurred right as I was trying to finish a massive college paper and seriously distracted me. I assume they've stopped trying to bill me.

In good remembrance

gunivine   sp?
the guy with the crazy land lord post

Somewhat less so

morganwebblover
slidecage

My biggest wins were the

circuit city 5 dollar game sale

and penny guides.  Still got hundred and hundred of these things!

Unfortunately, the community aspect of this site comes in a distant second to the podcast.  That was surely highlighted by the fact that Saints Row 3 and Deadpool were the two most recent game reviews featured on the main page for almost a year after they were released.  :lol:

It's sad because this site started out as a community and not a podcast.  Even sadder that the podcast doesn't even discuss deals from what I've listed to.  The two components seem mostly irrelevant to one another.

Just my observation.

Last edited:
There are lot of users from way back posting in this thread, many of you guys, your posts, your conversations I enjoyed when I was more active here.

A lot of us used to actually play games together, game nights, etc.

Hes mentioned already but bignick is always the first guy that comes to mind when I talk about how much I liked this site back in the day.

On the flip side dragonlordfrodo was a spectacle, man that stuff was hilarious when it was happening.

I think you guys are right about the CC closure, it really hasnt been the same at all since. I check a small handful of threads, but dont venture too much outside those, its a shame, the community was really nice a while back.

You saying game groups reminded me of when all the clans were started.  I think it started around the time of Halo 3?  With the Blur deal that hit with the manufacture's coupon and the Best Buy coupon dropping the game to around 10 bucks from 50-60 it seemed like a lot of people were going after it.  I remember, might even have the clan on live, a clan was started for it.  However I think due to work I could never play.  They seemed to be a big thing for xbox live when we were able to see people on someone else's friends list.  Now I really don't see anything about someone starting a clan.  I did start deleting people from my list that never play and I'm not sure if I deleted the clans or not.  I had some real fun playing with cags in Halo 3.  First time, and I think only time, I ever beat legendary.  All this talk of former CAG members has me thinking we should have a CAG hall of fame ceremony, or at least a list if we don't already.  Some really good game nights and deals in the past that we probably wont see again.

I specifically remember cod4, gears, and the resistance 2 nights tmk setup.

Some of the cags from this thread played in those.

I miss it.

I remember, as others have said, the EB morning update. I should have had a baby back then I woke early so many days. I came to CAG's site a lot more when there were in store deals like "Run to Circuit City! All the games are super cheap!" Now, most of the deals are on Steam or whatever. I also liked how people I never met (and probably never will) felt compelled to tell (me) intimate and semi-lengthy tales of their lives (work, school, dating, cosplay), and others would reply courteously, mostly, even if they said, "Suchandsuch, you're a weird dude, but you make me laugh." An idea, and I have no idea if there are, but maybe the community would be bolstered if there were some light or simple games we could play in-site against each other....to keep the gaming and camaraderie (I had to edit that like 6 times before I spelled it right) going. Anyway, I still like the site. After all, it is a lot more kitten-pic free than Reddit.

bread's done
Back