Gone but not forgotten - CAGs of the past

Well I'm mostly gone but certainly forgotten. I never posted much here to begin with so I'm sure if you haven't been in the beer thread you don't recognize me. I'm old and have two kids and not near the time for gaming these days. I only come here every so often to post in the beer thread haha. Speaking of which - what happened with dmaul? He'd post in the beer thread frequently too and now I see he is banned?

Well I'm mostly gone but certainly forgotten. I never posted much here to begin with so I'm sure if you haven't been in the beer thread you don't recognize me. I'm old and have two kids and not near the time for gaming these days. I only come here every so often to post in the beer thread haha. Speaking of which - what happened with dmaul? He'd post in the beer thread frequently too and now I see he is banned?
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/332448-gone-but-not-forgotten-cags-of-the-past/?p=11986605

Cool - thanks for that quick response dohdough - obviously I hadn't read the whole thread or I'd seen that duh!

That's it. I'm bumping the beer thread.

dmaul will be missed. He knew his beers for sure.

Anyone remember Brian Moy? I did many transactions with him back when I was a highly active trader. By far my favorite CAG to do business with. Nicest guy in the world, super artistic and classy. He'd always sweeten the deal and give me extra goodies. Nothing major, just little trinkets, stickers and such. He started up a website called Specialty Gamer. The site hasn't seen any traffic for years but I used to frequent it. Even wrote a couple reviews on it.

He lost his taste for gaming a couple years back and I believe he got rid of most his collection. He seems happy and I remain friends with him on FB. Miss you Brian.

I remember the Tony Soprano guy... Cornfedwb and Reality's Fringe, who in my mind was Strell's brother/companion due to their avatars.

DenisDFat was awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't get the podcast either. I can't go more than 10 minutes without nodding off. And as far as Clans that was massive for Halo 2

I remember Apossum back in the day.  Bro helped me out with a Nightwarriors anime DVD. He mailed it to me after he happened to see it in a store where he lived after I sent him paypal.  Really cool dude.

Guinavere was a really nice person.

DuelLadyS recommended the anime Tsukikage Ran to me years ago.  I probably would have not bought it if it wasn't for her recommendation.  One of my all time faves.

I remember quite a few of you that have posted in here. 

Anyway,  I called out the podcast as being a problem years ago.  When the focus went to that it was downhill from there.

Also,  Jimmiemac being allowed to bully whoever he wanted for years without repercussion.  I don't know if he was actually on Cheapy's D or not, but that was ridiculous.

Getting rid of the private groups sealed it for me.  I'll pop in from time to time to check on anime deals, but that is about it now.

when i first joined, some long time cag got banned for altering a gamestop coupon because he had a beef with his local GS manager or something.  Mods deleted it and he posted it again.  So right around middle of 2008.  Anyone remember that?  Been driving me nuts who that was.

I don't remember that, but wasn't the guitar hero best buy scam from someone on here?  I remember someone posting trying to get sympathy for being let go because they found that the system let people get 2 GH add on's and a 60 dollar game for 10 bucks and gamestop was taking them add on's for 7 each.  Best Buy management found out and he got let go.  Only coupon I remember was one that people questioned because it was intended for one person.  They just posted it and it worked online with the code and others were able to get it to work in store and I think at one point people were able to get it to work online and in store.  It was to only be a one time use.  However I could be thinking of another site that this all happened on.

when i first joined, some long time cag got banned for altering a gamestop coupon because he had a beef with his local GS manager or something. Mods deleted it and he posted it again. So right around middle of 2008. Anyone remember that? Been driving me nuts who that was.
djkunai

I don't remember that, but wasn't the guitar hero best buy scam from someone on here? I remember someone posting trying to get sympathy for being let go because they found that the system let people get 2 GH add on's and a 60 dollar game for 10 bucks and gamestop was taking them add on's for 7 each. Best Buy management found out and he got let go. Only coupon I remember was one that people questioned because it was intended for one person. They just posted it and it worked online with the code and others were able to get it to work in store and I think at one point people were able to get it to work online and in store. It was to only be a one time use. However I could be thinking of another site that this all happened on.
That coupon... The GameStop birthday coupon? It gets posted all the time. Cheapy is one step away from pinning it himself.

I don't know why, but I was thinking the coupon was Best Buy not GameStop.  I think it was around the time of the Blur deal that dropped 40 to 50 bucks off the cost of the game.

Every black friday, I remember of a thread of someone bitching about how he couldn't use a coupon on a 3ds or something similar. He named each chapter for each event and makes me lol everytime I think of the thread.

That billg stuff is both funny and sad at the same time. Long rant that amounts to "oh look I'll be an complete jerk on Black Friday then demand for justice while trying to use a coupon that excludes game systems (and coming after the fire sale on the DS ended) and want an Alzheimer thumb drive substituted for the one that was on sale." The ownage that IAmTheCheapestGamer gave him in the thread is priceless. And there's one CAG that I do miss around here even if I did at times disagree with him. But billg did have some valid issues with CC tossing him around between the store and the Corp level "The Cool" line. Some of the other stuff is pretty invalid gripes but that's just me.

There's so much I can say about CC speaking of which but... I think I'll let that ride off in the sunset.

When I first saw this thread I was thinking it was about CAGs that have passed away.  Glad that its not.  I do seem to remember there was a thread many many years ago about such a subject.

I used to be quiet active on here years ago myself.  Surprised at some of the names of former CAGs that are no longer active.  To be quite honest, I stopped bothering with this place because of TFN.  It got to the point he was stalking my posts in totally unrelated threads and doing nothing but insulting and bullying.  A few times creating OTT names directly bullying me (fine example something along the lines of if you love bears don't post in this OTT, referencing my PSN name).  I brought it up to the mods to do something, but they just sat on their hands.  I saw that hes now banned, and has been so for a while now.  I am very curious as to what he did that finally got him banned.

Occasionally I'll pop in this sub forum and look around, but as all of you guys have said this place is a ghost town.  Other than that, I'll check the deal threads a couple times a week, but thats about it

I used to post here so much. Was great, and can remember several of the member mentioned here (coming from the start/old days). SneakyPenguin (don't know if posts much anymore), moxio, morbid angel, deadzone, punksux, etc. There were great posters here. Now I can't stand most of the people that do post. plus, I just don't have the time I once had and my life has been in such a downward spiral/tizzy the past few years from debt/money woes, job woes, health/family/death that it's just been crazy.

When I first saw this thread I was thinking it was about CAGs that have passed away. Glad that its not. I do seem to remember there was a thread many many years ago about such a subject.
The only one I think of is mousin. I remember being really sad when I read that thread. RIP man.

I've been lurking since 2003, and joined in 2004, but I remember thinking there were some jerks on the site even back then. That's one of the reasons I joined vgtalk and gamerscartel after vgtalk died. Once gamerscartel died, I started posting here again and thought it was better than when I first started here. I think most of it depends on where you hang out too. I've found a lot of good people on the threads I frequent, which are mostly non-deal threads.

The only one I think of is mousin. I remember being really sad when I read that thread. RIP man.

I've been lurking since 2003, and joined in 2004, but I remember thinking there were some jerks on the site even back then. That's one of the reasons I joined vgtalk and gamerscartel after vgtalk died. Once gamerscartel died, I started posting here again and thought it was better than when I first started here. I think most of it depends on where you hang out too. I've found a lot of good people on the threads I frequent, which are mostly non-deal threads.
What are you doing posting here, go back to the LEGO thread....

lol@mask, he's immortalized in this thread being banned.

[quote name="skiizim" post="12176536" timestamp="1413957690"]What are you doing posting here, go back to the LEGO thread....

lol@mask, he's immortalized in this thread being banned.[/quote]
Lol, I do sneak out of there from time to time.

Another couple of CAGs I remember are Schultzed and Dom and Liz. They used to frequent the yard sale threads. I remember being amazed and jealous of their finds. I don't remember Dom and Liz's handles but I still use their website to plan my yard sale routes.

Lol, I do sneak out of there from time to time. Another couple of CAGs I remember are Schultzed and Dom and Liz. They used to frequent the yard sale threads. I remember being amazed and jealous of their finds. I don't remember Dom and Liz's handles but I still use their website to plan my yard sale routes.
moiety and evilmax. They haven't updated their yard sale finds on that site in years. To be honest, some of the stuff they found seemed too good to be true. I've yardsaled for years now and I've had excellent finds once in a while, but they were getting ridiculous scores multiple times per week.

[quote name="pitfallharry219" post="12184558" timestamp="1414288324"]moiety and evilmax. They haven't updated their yard sale finds on that site in years. To be honest, some of the stuff they found seemed too good to be true. I've yardsaled for years now and I've had excellent finds once in a while, but they were getting ridiculous scores multiple times per week.[/quote]
Oh that's right. I think they were from MA. Yeah the last post was a while ago but the planner is still good.

Anyone remember the user who pretended to be a chick, then eventually created a thread with an alt account to out himself for lying about his gender lol? Can't think of the name but I remember that whole saga being pretty damn funny. Pretty sure he was a prominent member on the boards at the time.

The days of the Halo 2 clan were great, I remember a bunch of names listed in this thread that used to make playing that game so awesome. Good times.

Anyone remember the user who pretended to be a chick, then eventually created a thread with an alt account to out himself for lying about his gender lol? Can't think of the name but I remember that whole saga being pretty damn funny. Pretty sure he was a prominent member on the boards at the time.

The days of the Halo 2 clan were great, I remember a bunch of names listed in this thread that used to make playing that game so awesome. Good times.
Look at post #51 in this thread, bra.

LOL YES, I must have overlooked that, I'm surprised it didn't get more love in this thread
I'm still surprised I am the only person that had any StrongPimpHand stories. That guys guide to meeting bar whores and then hooking up with their non-whore Facebook friends was priceless.

I really think part of it is the deals have just went away. It was said that once Circuit City went under the Best Buy deals would never be the same and they haven't.

Also it's odd this being the thread that when I saw your name I thought that's a name I haven't seen in some time. Guess I just haven't seen your posts or haven't noticed they were from you.
I'm the one Ragtag CAG still around. Post mainly in deals, STL thread, wrestling thread, & a dash of the GGT. I have a PS4 & Wii U so I don't post in the XBox threads anymore except for the Bioware game threads.

I used to mostly lurk all the time back in college, circa 2004-2007.  I'd listen to the podcast every week, prowl the forums almost daily, and even began posting a bit.  Once blogs were added, there were a few really poignant, brutally honest, and self-disclosing ones that I used to follow; The Mana Knight comes to mind, as well as someone else who chronicled how he changed his life.  

This thread makes me nostalgic because it reminds me of long-forgotten laughs that I had on this site.  I also learned a lot about living a thrifty life, and I connected with a lot of the diverse ways that people were living at a time when I was kind of isolated in my personal life.  Reading about everybody else's lives and troubles made me feel a bit more human.  I was uplifted by some of the genuinely good folks in the community, too, who frequently went out of their way to help their fellow CAGs.  As an example, one gal who worked at Gamestop sent me some free controller decals that were a pre-order bonus for Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 2, which I had in fact preordered but which didn't arrive with my Gamestop order.  I think I first met thelonepig over at VGTalk, and he sold me the rare (at the time) Skies of Arcadia Legends on GC for like $20--that was how I first learned of web communities like this.  

Life got busy after about 2008, and over the years my time for gaming and browsing has declined to nearly nil, but I still stop by CAG about once a year to help myself prepare for Black Friday.  It really does feel like a different place these days, and whereas I was once a daily familiar, now I feel like a total stranger.  

Edit: I forgot to mention that I'd name some specific user names, but  a lot of them have either already been named or escape me.  I mostly remember the users in context of some of their legendary threads or because they had awesome avatars, schitcks, or sig lines.  Subliminal Criminal (forgot how he used to style/spell that) used to have a great pic of a mullet--"Business in front, party in back!" 

I used to mostly lurk all the time back in college, circa 2004-2007. I'd listen to the podcast every week, prowl the forums almost daily, and even began posting a bit. Once blogs were added, there were a few really poignant, brutally honest, and self-disclosing ones that I used to follow; The Mana Knight comes to mind, as well as someone else who chronicled how he changed his life.

This thread makes me nostalgic because it reminds me of long-forgotten laughs that I had on this site. I also learned a lot about living a thrifty life, and I connected with a lot of the diverse ways that people were living at a time when I was kind of isolated in my personal life. Reading about everybody else's lives and troubles made me feel a bit more human. I was uplifted by some of the genuinely good folks in the community, too, who frequently went out of their way to help their fellow CAGs. As an example, one gal who worked at Gamestop sent me some free controller decals that were a pre-order bonus for Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 2, which I had in fact preordered but which didn't arrive with my Gamestop order. I think I first met thelonepig over at VGTalk, and he sold me the rare (at the time) Skies of Arcadia Legends on GC for like $20--that was how I first learned of web communities like this.

Life got busy after about 2008, and over the years my time for gaming and browsing has declined to nearly nil, but I still stop by CAG about once a year to help myself prepare for Black Friday. It really does feel like a different place these days, and whereas I was once a daily familiar, now I feel like a total stranger.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I'd name some specific user names, but a lot of them have either already been named or escape me. I mostly remember the users in context of some of their legendary threads or because they had awesome avatars, schitcks, or sig lines. Subliminal Criminal (forgot how he used to style/spell that) used to have a great pic of a mullet--"Business in front, party in back!"
What was your handle on vgtalk? There were a bunch of good people over there too, but I don't know if they transferred over to here. The only ones I really remember are zoltek, Michae2414, pepsiman, and some others I only remember the avatars for. I didn't realize thelonepig was there too.

I think Sub is still around. I know I've seen that mullet pic recently.

What was your handle on vgtalk? There were a bunch of good people over there too, but I don't know if they transferred over to here. The only ones I really remember are zoltek, Michae2414, pepsiman, and some others I only remember the avatars for. I didn't realize thelonepig was there too.

I think Sub is still around. I know I've seen that mullet pic recently.
I think I was SprinterGlory or something like that? Been a long, long time, and I wasn't as active on VGTalk as I eventually became here. I remember there was some bad blood between there and CAG, and at first I didn't like the idea of migrating, but when CAG just started rampantly outclassing the deals at VGTalk, I didn't have much of a choice. I too remember Zoltek and Pepsiman. It's kind of surreal being able to reminisce about this stuff.

bread's done
Back