Good/Cheap DVD Shelf?

WatTsu

CAGiversary!
I've run out of room on my DVD shelf (have to hold it together with bungee cords, true story) and have been stacking my new titles on top of it. This can't last much longer. I need a new shelf but I don't want to pay a lot of money. Size isn't really an issue.

Any good prices on shelves out there?

Looks good. Any coupons/etc.? I have to order online, as there's no IKEA (anywhere) near me.

[quote name='WatTsu']Looks good. Any coupons/etc.? I have to order online, as there's no IKEA (anywhere) near me.[/quote]

Same... Shipping seams like a bitch, I think its $15 minimum??? Thats what the site said for Florida...

[quote name='ZerotypeX']Does this shelf have a back?[/QUOTE]

Doesn't look like it. Usually these shelves are uniform in colors... either this doesn't have it or it's got a white back. The latter seems very unlikely.

Have you checked eBay? From time to time, you can snag some great CD/DVD racks there. The shipping might be a lot but the item price can go very low.

I picked up two 150CD/100DVD shelfs with windows for $38 ($8 each plus $22 combined shipping for both) about half a year ago and I just picked up two two more 150CD/50DVD shelfs with art windows for $35 ($4 each with $27).

It's nice having shelfs with doors because they help reduce dust (though you still get some dust).

[quote name='ZerotypeX']Does this shelf have a back?[/QUOTE]

This is what it says under product description:

product description & measurements
Main parts: Particleboard, Foil, Melamine foil
Back: Polypropylene

They make it sound like it has a back, could be wrong though.

[quote name='Vinny']Doesn't look like it. Usually these shelves are uniform in colors... either this doesn't have it or it's got a white back. The latter seems very unlikely.

Have you checked eBay? From time to time, you can snag some great CD/DVD racks there. The shipping might be a lot but the item price can go very low.

I picked up two 150CD/100DVD shelfs with windows for $38 ($8 each plus $22 combined shipping for both) about half a year ago and I just picked up two two more 150CD/50DVD shelfs with art windows for $35 ($4 each with $27).

It's nice having shelfs with doors because they help reduce dust (though you still get some dust).[/quote]

Can you provide me more info on these with a link with how they look. A ebay auction would be great, thanks

These do have a white back. The first 2 I bought were particleboard, the last 3 were corragatued plastic. Here are 3 of mine in action:

I ordered 3 at once to spread the shipping cost out. I think it was like $22 shipping for 3.

MjC

These do have a white back. The first 2 I bought were particleboard, the last 3 were corrugatued plastic. Here are 3 of mine in action:

I ordered 3 at once to spread the shipping cost out. I think it was like $22 shipping for 3.

The first 2 I bought in store, then they had no more. I thought it was discontinued since they removed the displays. So I ordered 3 more online. I've seen them in store again however.

MjC

[quote name='ZerotypeX']Gonna go to my ikea store later today and pick these up, thanks Mcalvert1[/QUOTE]

Hey, glad I could help. FWIW, the fat thumb tack looking things they included with mine to keep the shelves from sliding broke when I tried to use them. So I never put any in, and have never had an issue. Enjoy!

MjC

Went and looked at the shelves yesterday at Ikea. The cd/dvd shelf was smaller than I thought it was. After look at more shelves, I found this, for $5 more you can get a bigger version of the shelf. It is shorter than the Billy at Ikea and the shelves don't look sturdy enough for books, but seems perfect for cds/dvds if you have a big collection.

Gonna look around some more before I make my decision on a shelf

Does anyone know if those short-ish ikea shelves stack well? I'm looking for something that I can make floor-to-ceiling, and if I stack a few of those together I could probably do that. If not, I'll go with one of the extra tall ikea bookshelves - I saw a few last time I was there.

[quote name='alongx']Does anyone know if those short-ish ikea shelves stack well? I'm looking for something that I can make floor-to-ceiling, and if I stack a few of those together I could probably do that. If not, I'll go with one of the extra tall ikea bookshelves - I saw a few last time I was there.[/QUOTE]

It appeared to me that they would. (you might want to screw them together or something) I didn't do it though because my ceiling is pretty low and the 2 on top of each other would touch the ceiling.

MjC

bumping a month old thread , but does anybody have the target cd/dvd shelves? I've looked at the ikea ones and thought that they seem similar to the ones that target typically carries and was wondering if they compare in quality. For me , going down the street to target would be much better than ordering one of these online if there both just as good.

[quote name='MCalvert1']These do have a white back. The first 2 I bought were particleboard, the last 3 were corrugatued plastic. Here are 3 of mine in action:

The first 2 I bought in store, then they had no more. I thought it was discontinued since they removed the displays. So I ordered 3 more online. I've seen them in store again however.

MjC[/quote]

I am jealous of your complete G1 transformers set. I still need Season 2 part 1.

Check Linens N Things... I just got a 270 DVD holder there for $19.99. It's more of a "rack" then a "shelf" but it fulfills the same purpose.

[quote name='unicron129']I am jealous of your complete G1 transformers set. I still need Season 2 part 1.[/QUOTE]

I'm surprised you can make that out, as blurry as the picture is (I have a better camera now). I actually stumbled upon season 3 part 1 at a used DVD store for like $15 once.

MjC

[quote name='Veronica Mars']So,
Which of the Ikea Shelves is better?
I'd rather get the smaller one, but would prefer a good/sturdy quality.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

I'm not familiar with the larger, but the small ones feel pretty sturdy. Keep in mind it's all particleboard, so none of it is going to withstand "massive damage."

MjC

I made my own. Used some cheap 1"x4"x96" pine planks from Lowes (less than $2 each). Cut 5 into 4' lengths for the horizontals (for 4 shelves in my case) and then cut 2 to ~36" for the end verticals. Measure for spacing (about 1/4" clearance for DVD's) drill some pilot holes and screw it together. Slap on a few coats of some decent paint (I used ColorPlace Interior Flat Latex) and you can't even tell you used budget wood.

Now comes the tricky part to getting it to work. Use at least two shelf brackets near the top shelf and make sure the back of the shelf is ~2.5" away from the wall. Once you get your DVD's on it, you can't even see the brackets.

Each shelf holds about 80 dvd cases x 4 shelves = 320 DVD cases for a cost of around $10.

I'll take pics later once my wife gets home with the camera.

UPDATE:

Quick draw-up, not to scale, obviously.
shelf.jpg

[quote name='MCalvert1']I'm not familiar with the larger, but the small ones feel pretty sturdy. Keep in mind it's all particleboard, so none of it is going to withstand "massive damage."

MjC[/quote]

Most of them are particleboard anyways, right?
Unless you wanna pay 30+

[quote name='Veronica Mars']Most of them are particleboard anyways, right?
Unless you wanna pay 30+[/QUOTE]

Absolutely. Probably even more than that.

MjC

[quote name='MCalvert1']I have 5 of these. They're cheap and easy to put together. Shelf size is perfect for DVDs.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90086985[/quote]

I have two of these as well. Very easy to go together and look nice. If you can find a store locally it'd be better. I made an 3 hour drive to the store to pick these up. Going to an Ikea store is worth the drive (huge!!!). Shipping was going to cost me $30 for 2 of em.....

[quote name='GuilewasNK']This is what I got last night at Big Lots.

http://www.sauder.com/furniture/product.asp?p=327http://www.sauder.com/furniture/product.asp?p=514#ARP

Holds 280 DVDs. Big Lots had it for $39.99 and it was really simple to put together IMO.[/QUOTE]

I got the same one like two years ago from Menards for $35. It's a pretty good shelf... I've had most of the shelves fully loaded and they were well beyond the maximum weight limit in the manual but never had any issues other than bending.

Instead of getting more shelf space what about the possibility of getting slimmer DVD cases? I've put all my XBOX, PS2, DVD's, 360 games in slim dvd cases...much like this.

This is not an actual picture of my discs but another from a user on my forum. You can see it saves a ton of space.

I'd suggest that with CompUSA going out of business they have some very high quality thin DVD cases 50 for like $13, clear.

thinpak3.jpg

Does the cover art still fit in nicely?

[quote name='tthome']Instead of getting more shelf space what about the possibility of getting slimmer DVD cases? I've put all my XBOX, PS2, DVD's, 360 games in slim dvd cases...much like this.

This is not an actual picture of my discs but another from a user on my forum. You can see it saves a ton of space.

I'd suggest that with CompUSA going out of business they have some very high quality thin DVD cases 50 for like $13, clear.

thinpak3.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Yes, you will need to trim a little off each long edge, proabably about 1/4" off each side but the spine of the DVD case is clearly visible. Trust me I've done this on over 400+ DVD's, 150+ XBOX games and 50+ PS2 games...it looks good and compact when you do it.

I use a small tabletop trimmer like this one to cut a straight edge. You can pick these up at OfficeMax or Staples for less than $20.

Thanks I've got a a bunch of DVD's and games on two big racks and they are starting to become full. I don't want to waste more floor space with another rack. These slim cases will definatly work out well.

[quote name='tthome']Yes, you will need to trim a little off each long edge, proabably about 1/4" off each side but the spine of the DVD case is clearly visible. Trust me I've done this on over 400+ DVD's, 150+ XBOX games and 50+ PS2 games...it looks good and compact when you do it.

I use a small tabletop trimmer like this one to cut a straight edge. You can pick these up at OfficeMax or Staples for less than $20.[/QUOTE]

The space savings using these slim cases is almost double...I suggest you DON'T get too cheap looking for the cheapest slim cases...trust me I went that route and the clear plastic that was covering the game cover would tear off easy on some of them. Spend the little extra for the higher quality ones. Like I said if you have a CompUSA store near you go buy all the clear ones they have. I've already been buying them 1 box at a time while they're going out of business...so far I have stockpiled 300 empty ones...I might buy 100 more to stash.

man i mean the slim cases are much better for storage and space purposes...but they look AWFUL (IMO)...i would HATE to do that to my dvd case art work :(

It can be viewed this way too...atleast you dont' have green, black, yellow, white, butter colored cases mixed in, they'd all be clear. Believe me when their all clear and all organized by PS2, XBOX, XBOX260 labels on the spine it's easy to read.

bread's done
Back