Good Westerns...

manberries

CAGiversary!
To my fellow CAGs
I just finished watching Appaloosa, which I thought was a great movie, and was just wondering what other westerns, new or old, you guys would recommend I watch. I never really watched any except for 3:10 To Yuma which I also liked, so any input you guys can give would be great. :D

- The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

- A Fistful of Dollars

- For a Few Dollars More

- Once Upon a Time in the West

- Duck, You Sucker!

- Unforgiven

- They Call Me Trinity

- My Name Is Nobody

- The Outlaw Josey Wales

- The Magnificent Seven

- High Noon

- The Wild Bunch

- Rio Bravo

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']Clint Eastwood Circa 1960's > Kurt Russel[/quote]
If we're gonna start naming old timers, John Wayne > Clint Eastwood.

I like Kurt Russell, and all, but Val Kilmer's scenes(plural)-stealing performance is the real reason to watch Tombstone.

Granted, Russell portrayed a more stoic character, but Kilmer was just on fire.

And I forgot to mention:

- Dances with Wolves

- The Treasure of the Sierra Madre

- The Ox-Bow Incident

- Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

- The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

- The Searchers

- Once Upon A Time in the West
- The Searchers
- The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
- Unforgiven
- Tombstone
- The Wild Bunch
- The Proposition

If you want to see a great, unlikely modern spaghetti western, then you'd do yourself some good by checking out the 2004 version of The Punisher.

The director adapted the comic book series into a modern, revenge-laced spaghetti western; a lot like a Leone film, there are lots of contrasts (slow-cooked scenes in between the fast, ultra-violent action scenes), and a great Morricone-esque film score.

Damn, Brak pretty much nailed this one. :applause:

To be honest, I prefer spaghetti westerns to the John Wayne-style classic westerns, but if it's a good movie, it's a good movie.

Once Upon A Time in the West
is one of my absolute favorites. And any person who likes movies and has any amount of self respect should have this:
5159BlywIWL._AA240_.jpg

A Fistful of Dollars; For A Few Dollars More; The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly; Duck, You Sucker. It is straight $$$.

A couple people forgot:
There Will Be Blood
Pale Rider

My Favorites:
Once Upon A Time in the West
Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Open Range
Unforgiven

You MUST watch Deadwood complete series. After that, watch:

Tombstone
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
Young Guns 1
Young Guns 2
3:10 to Yuma
The Missing

How has nobody mentioned "High Plains Drifter" yet?

Any movie where the hero kills three men and rapes a woman in the first ten minutes has to be good.

What do you guys think about the newer westerns such as 3:10 to Yuma, Assassination of Jesse James, Appaloosa, etc vs. the older westerns that you guys have listed? How do they stand up? Are they as good as the "old classics"?

[quote name='manberries']What do you guys think about the newer westerns such as 3:10 to Yuma, Assassination of Jesse James, Appaloosa, etc vs. the older westerns that you guys have listed? How do they stand up? Are they as good as the "old classics"?[/quote]

Having only seen 3:10 to Yuma out of what you listed, I can only say that it does not stack up all that well to the classics, particularly those of Leone. It's a decent movie, don't get me wrong, but no one will ever mistake it for The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly.

[quote name='Brak']I like Kurt Russell, and all, but Val Kilmer's scenes(plural)-stealing performance is the real reason to watch Tombstone.

Granted, Russell portrayed a more stoic character, but Kilmer was just on fire.

And I forgot to mention:

- Dances with Wolves

- The Treasure of the Sierra Madre

- The Ox-Bow Incident

- The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

- The Searchers[/QUOTE]

Ox-Bow was an excellent movie.

The list begins and ends with Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. Not because it's the only western worth watching, but because you should watch it twice. ;) Other good westerns include Unforgiven, Tombstone, and, of course, the Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

[quote name='manberries']To my fellow CAGs
I just finished watching Appaloosa, which I thought was a great movie, and was just wondering what other westerns, new or old, you guys would recommend I watch. I never really watched any except for 3:10 To Yuma which I also liked, so any input you guys can give would be great. :D[/quote]
Yes Indeed.

[quote name='manberries']What do you guys think about the newer westerns such as 3:10 to Yuma, Assassination of Jesse James, Appaloosa, etc vs. the older westerns that you guys have listed? How do they stand up? Are they as good as the "old classics"?[/quote]

Assassination of Jesse James is my favorite western ever. It's completely different from any other western I have ever seen and the acting is amazing.

I have not seen Appaloosa, and 3:10 to Yuma pretty much sucked.

The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly is like the Godfather of westerns.

As far as modern ones, I really liked the 3:10 To Yuma remake. The music is phenomenal. But the most surprisingly good modern western I've seen is definitely The Assassination Of Jesse James. The soundtrack to that one is even better (has an almost Fable quality to it, very odd musical styles that make the movie seem almost mystical). I got goosebumps during that scene where the guy is on the train tracks in the beginning awaiting the hijacking. The cinematography is fucking awesome. It's a damn shame that movie slid through the cracks.

Deadwood is by far the best TV western. I'd say it's the best western, period, but it was never given a true finale so it loses a lot of points for that. But it's still something western fans should almost be mandated to watch.

x2 on everything crunchberry said

The Assassination of Jesse James is one of the most beautiful (aestethically) movies I've ever seen. And yes, I got goose bumps too when I saw the scene with his silhouette in the dark and the train was stopping at his will.

And allow me to reiterate that Deadwood is the best western genre entertainment you'll ever see. There's no ending proper but it didn't really need one. You can just view the series as a slice of life of that time.

[quote name='Maklershed']
And allow me to reiterate that Deadwood is the best western genre entertainment you'll ever see. There's no ending proper but it didn't really need one. You can just view the series as a slice of life of that time.[/quote]

That's a good way of putting it, I recant what I said and declare Deadwood the pinnacle of western film entertainment. How Robin Weigert never won an Emmy I'll never understand.

Now this will bring about a few responses
Appaloosa is a terrible western, I'd rather watch Hanna Montana for two hours then re-watch this, or just give me the eye bleach now. Renee Zellweger ruins every movie she's in.

My recommendations
Fistful of Dollars
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
The outlaw Josie Wales
Tombstone
At least Young Guns 1 maybe 2
3:10 to Yuma was much better then a lot of the recent western movies
The Assassination of Jesse James (too slow and I'm not a big fan of Brad Pitt, but you might like it)

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back