Grammy nominated King Diamond screams "Metal Heads Unite!!"

anybody wanna recommend me some thrash metal to listen to. I'm pretty open, totally willing to listen and give most bands a shot, but don't know that many except the few big ones.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']Demolition Hammer. Their album Epidemic of Violence is a beast.[/QUOTE]

3 songs in and I'm in love O_O

thanks. MOAR! hahaa

For me, they're a Greatest Hits type of band. Some bands, I love all their stuff. For Alice in Chains, I like most of their popular songs, but most of their deeper album cuts do nothing for me.

interesting, I've always been annoyed by their really popular songs and on a random shopping spree back in the day I bought Dirt for 10 bucks and loved everything else but the singles basically. Though, I really don't like any other grunge bands for some reason. Not a fan of Nirvana or others at all. Or at least stuff i've heard.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']Demolition Hammer. Their album Epidemic of Violence is a beast.[/QUOTE]
This is exactly the album I was ready to recommend.

Flotsam and Jetsam? Bay Area sound, first album is classic.

Morbid Saint? They sound a lot like Kreator, but more pissed off. They're lone LP is very good.

[YOUTUBE]v2Kj1IBLcgQ&hd=1[/YOUTUBE]

Rosetta live in Russia. I've heard they are definitely great to see live, and I hope to catch em one day. I still remember the first time listening to The Galilean Satellites...

[quote name='Canadian_Man']This is exactly the album I was ready to recommend.

Flotsam and Jetsam? Bay Area sound, first album is classic.

Morbid Saint? They sound a lot like Kreator, but more pissed off. They're lone LP is very good.[/QUOTE]

i shall check those out, thanks!

Demolition Hammer and Morbid Saint are two excellent choices for violent thrash. Heathen is one of the better acts around for melodic thrash. New Vader album kicks. I think it'd be better with Doc, but that goes without saying.

[quote name='Canadian_Man']I just discovered Electric Wizard are playing MDF next year /orgasm Autopsy are playing again too.[/QUOTE]

Holy shit I can't believe it! Maybe this means EW will actually tour the states again? :bouncy:

[quote name='evildeadjedi']Holy shit I can't believe it! Maybe this means EW will actually tour the states again? :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

I hope they do. I will definitely go to that show and I don't go to shows that often.

I doubt they will tour, they would have made an announcement around the time they put out Black Masses. I haven't heard of them doing much touring aside from festival appearances.

For all you dicks in or near Chicago and L.A., Gridlink, Phobia, and Maruta are playing free shows in each city today and tomorrow respectively. FREE. Jon Chang. Phobia. Maruta. Damn you all :(

Hmm...
Vreid with Kampfar and Necronomicon 8/31/11 at a club in St. Paul for $10.
That would be such a treat since we rarely get to see that kind of lineup in the US. But Wednesday night? Damn... Really on the fence about this one. I saw 1349 with Cannibal Corpse there about a year ago and it was great, but it was also a Saturday.

[quote name='AshesofWake']anybody wanna recommend me some thrash metal to listen to. I'm pretty open, totally willing to listen and give most bands a shot, but don't know that many except the few big ones.[/QUOTE]

Lazarus A.D. is decent for not being too huge.

[quote name='AshesofWake']anybody wanna recommend me some thrash metal to listen to. I'm pretty open, totally willing to listen and give most bands a shot, but don't know that many except the few big ones.[/QUOTE]

Dawnbringer - Is kind of there latest Nucleus is a bad ass album.

Corrosion of Conformity - The early two albums are some bad ass thrash.

Exhorder - This is a newer one I heard is pretty good I believe they are Swedish.

Bolt Thrower - Bad ass if you have not heard them before.

Kreator - I'm sure you have probably heard these guys before.

Nuclear Assault - *head banging*

Voivod - File under Kreator.

Vio-lence - Hell yes!

Cro-Mags - Gritty!

Blood Tsunami - For Sodom and Destruction fans.

Carnivore - Peter Steele's (RIP) old band.

Heathen - Old band but they came out with another album last year.

Violator - Viva Brazil!

Ramming Speed - Newer never heard them but heard things about them.

Mantic Ritual - See above

Toxic Holocaust - If like hardcore/punk elements in your thrash.

Skeletonwitch - My boys from Ohio check em out if you haven't already!

Havok - Check this out!

Torment - German!

I second all of that except Carnivore. They're terrible, IMO. Give 'em a listen if you like, though. Just my opinion.

Cro-Mags were a far better hardcore band than a thrash band:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S17l-pbwT9w

Like DRI.

I found out last Thursday that Toxic Holocaust played a venue that's literally 4 blocks from my house just the day prior. Live and learn. Ugh.

Skeletonwitch is someone I'd recommend as well, though since I lived in the small, small OH town they're from (Athens) for 2 years before moving last year, I'm partial to them as well. OH represent. Except Cleveland. fuck that place.

;)

[quote name='evildeadjedi']
Bolt Thrower
Kreator
Nuclear Assault
Vio-lence
Heathen
Mantic Ritual[/QUOTE]
These are bands I would second. Bolt Thrower are old school death metal btw.

Yeah, I second Vio-lence, Skeletonwitch, and Havok(there new album is so good). Gamma Bomb is another band I really dig. Thrash metal with silly ass lyrics.

[quote name='Canadian_Man']These are bands I would second. Bolt Thrower are old school death metal btw.[/QUOTE]

Ahhh yes good point and they seem a bit more thrash/grind than most old school death metal too.

[quote name='mykevermin']I second all of that except Carnivore. They're terrible, IMO. Give 'em a listen if you like, though. Just my opinion.

Cro-Mags were a far better hardcore band than a thrash band:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S17l-pbwT9w

Like DRI.

I found out last Thursday that Toxic Holocaust played a venue that's literally 4 blocks from my house just the day prior. Live and learn. Ugh.

Skeletonwitch is someone I'd recommend as well, though since I lived in the small, small OH town they're from (Athens) for 2 years before moving last year, I'm partial to them as well. OH represent. Except Cleveland. fuck that place.

;)[/QUOTE]

I just tossed Carnivore on the list since I was trying to think of thrash bands off the top of my head. I'm not a big fan of them myself, type o negative was much better.

Very true most cross over bands were better as hardcore and/or punk bands. Oh man that sucks I've heard they put on a good show! Hell yea Skeltonwitch is one of the few bad ass Ohio metal bands. Another one being Struck by Lightning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Carnivore should be one of the first bands on that list you listen to. Yeah, Type O was better but there are songs here and there where you can see the Type O seeds being planted (ie "Male Supremacy" & "Armageddon"). Some of their stuff seems a bit sloppy (not sure if that's the term I'm after, hard to explain) but they're not inept by any means, and themeatically they're really entertaining. They're different from pretty much every band on that list. Check 'em out, two albums and they have different enough sounds to them where you may actually like one if you didn't like the other.

Never get tired of Bolt Thrower. Will vouch for Skeletonwitch and Toxic Holocaust as well. TH is a great live band too - have seen them twice, both playing on pretty large bills and both times they were a strong highlight. The singer wore a fucking denim jacket with a large patch on the back that said "SPEED METAL" for christsake.

[quote name='nasum']that's not a very nice thing you did there.[/QUOTE]

Yeah..Youre right. It is funny though even if it was in bad taste.

Personally I experienced that song(?) on hi-fidelity speakers on my stereo system and its worse than hearing it on my computer speakers.

---------------
By they way, I saw High on Fire/Black Cobra/Embers this past weekend. Embers was okay. Nothing special. Black Cobra was surprisingly energetic. I enjoyed their set but I'm not sure how the music translates on record. High on Fire was awesome but Matt Pike gained a lot of weight. He's going end up like the dude from Monster Magnet if he's not too careful.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']Embers was only okay? Their latest album is a fucking beast of black metal.[/QUOTE]

I didn't hate them. I just didn't think much of their live show. I haven't heard their record though.

I've decided that I will go see Vreid and Kampfar tonight. I mean shit, $12 is like what I lose in the couch on a weekly basis so it won't kill me. Just a bitch to get to St. Paul from the opposite side of Minneapolis for a show right after work.

Embers:
It just needs to sound a lot better. Their production is terrible and they need some better gear (especially the drummer), but aside from that the songwriting shows a lot of promise. What I really see is an almost CoF level of ability but with much more subtle keys.
I'm on shadows now and hit the break at 2:45 or so. It's clever and good and gets resolved, but god damn kid, the rather bland sounding tone is stifiling the whole thing.

I try to not be anal about production quality but if something sounds bad it doesn't matter how good the playing is...

Kampfar is one hell of a band live. I always think it's funny how "evil" these people try to be but they act like total goofball rockstars on stage. Anyhow, they were fantastic.
Vreid must have been tired or something because they lacked energy and I ended up leaving about 30 minutes into their set.
Necronomicon was a bit of a surprise. I've heard some of their stuff before but they were much better in person, even if the bass player has the tiniest arms I've ever seen.

All in all I'm really glad that I went. Though I feel pretty crappy this morning.

indeed.
Maybe I'm thinking of another band that came about near the same time that CoF did? Early Hecate Enthroned perhaps?

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']Weekday concerts are the worst for that.[/QUOTE]

I have to be up at 5AM on Tuesday mornings. In a few weeks I'm going to try to go to see Despise You and Magrudergrind, then walk a few blocks up the street for Secret Chiefs 3 on a Monday night.

I'm already dreading every bit of it.

[quote name='nasum']indeed.
Maybe I'm thinking of another band that came about near the same time that CoF did? Early Hecate Enthroned perhaps?[/QUOTE]

Dunno, I haven't listened to symphonic shit in a while. Recently my BM has been all nature influenced crust guys playing old Darkthrone/Drudkh worship stuff. All the gr1mmer than thov satanist shit got kind of old.

[quote name='mykevermin']I have to be up at 5AM on Tuesday mornings. In a few weeks I'm going to try to go to see Despise You and Magrudergrind, then walk a few blocks up the street for Secret Chiefs 3 on a Monday night.

I'm already dreading every bit of it.[/QUOTE]

Hell, I'd stay up all night to see Despise You and Magrudergrind.

anybody listen to the new Opeth yet? what the hell o_O I mean....it's not bad, but I wish it was the least bit metal...haha. Morningrise and Orchid will always have my heart though.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']Saw Jucifer over the weekend. fuck me that was loud. My friend that was outside smoking said he could feel it.[/QUOTE]

Jucifer is playing this Thursday in Oakland. I saw them before and I agree. They are loud as fuck. I thought it was the venue being so small. I like to see them again but I took my car in for repairs and I kinda don't want to spend more $$ right now.

By the way, did you see the lineup for next years Maryland Deathfest?????

fuck! I wish I didn't live in California. We don't get shit like that here.

[quote name='AshesofWake']anybody listen to the new Opeth yet? what the hell o_O I mean....it's not bad, but I wish it was the least bit metal...haha. Morningrise and Orchid will always have my heart though.[/QUOTE]
I like it. It has a old Sabbath meets Deep Purple feel to it. I mean sure it's no Blackwater Park but I think it's very good. I haven't heard the whole album yet, just a few tracks. Waiting for my copy to come in.

New Opeth is ok after a single listen. I quite liked all of the tasty guitar licks.

Last week I saw Grave, then WITTR + Thou + Ensorcelor. The latter was at a small, run down, local church called Death Church. Show was awesome as fvck.

I've been pretty bored with metal lately, glad to see some new releases this month.

[quote name='Xevious']By the way, did you see the lineup for next years Maryland Deathfest????[/QUOTE]

fuck yeah I did, and I hope that I'll be in the area next May. I live just north in Philly, but I may be at a wedding in the midwest on Memorial Day weekend 2012.

The lineup is astonishing, and I could gush about so many bands...but I'll just gush about Nausea instead. If I'm around, I will go out of my way to see that set. I'll break my fucking back to get there.

Ghoul has a new album coming out? I hope it's better than Splatterthrash, because that was a terrible record.

EDIT: Oh, it's not the 1990's Nausea from NY, it's some dudes from LA. Womp womp. Lineup still incredible.

bread's done
Back