Grammys - just horrible

Trancendental

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
I was at the workout room in my building last night, and some dude had the grammys up to volume 11 on the TV.

Anyway, the two things I saw were:

Shakira doing her "hips don't lie" song - I'm pretty sure this song is the same song she's been doing since the turn of the millenium, with an occasional change of lyrics.

Then they had the award for best female R&B performer - and every damn song sounded the same.

I don't know why they bother segmenting out the music - it all sounds like the same overproduced, recycled, crassly commercial crap.

Is anyone here a fan of this mainstream music, and if so, maybe you can explain the reasoning behind what looked like an expensively produced awards show.

I didn't even know the Grammys were on last night.

The year where Queens of the Stone Age were nominated, only to lose to Foo Fighters, was a disgusting time.

[quote name='camoor']I was at the workout room in my building last night, and some dude had the grammys up to volume 11 on the TV.

Anyway, the two things I saw were:

Shakira doing her "hips don't lie" song - I'm pretty sure this song is the same song she's been doing since the turn of the millenium, with an occasional change of lyrics.

Then they had the award for best female R&B performer - and every damn song sounded the same.

I don't know why they bother segmenting out the music - it all sounds like the same overproduced, recycled, crassly commercial crap.

Is anyone here a fan of this mainstream music, and if so, maybe you can explain the reasoning behind what looked like an expensively produced awards show.[/quote]

I don't mind some mainstream music. Not all of it sucks, but Shakira doesn't do anything for me and Mary J. Blige's older works are a lot better IMO.

[quote name='PKRipp3r']it always sucks

i stopped watching when Jethro Tull won the best heavy metal award[/quote]

:rofl:

That's awesome - those guys sound like Yanni when they really get going with the pan flutes.

As always for the music industry, the keyword is "out of touch"

My wife was attached to this last night... Shakira has been doing that song far to long. I think at this point I would Rather watch K-Fed up there than her.

Secondly whomever controls the sound sucks. There were many times (esp. w Red Hot Chilli Peppers) that the lyrics were so drowned out you could not make them out over the music or just plain reverb etc (i.e. James blunt).

I used to listen to mainstream music and got sick of it but I still like the late 90's music. I didn't even bother watching the Grammy's this year as I had no interest and can't stand the music.

At work, the employees either listen to a rap/r&B station or #1 hit music station and I don't know how people listen to it all day. I must hear that annoying Beyonce song 6 - 8 times a day (You Must Not Know About Me or whatever the heck it is called), same with some Nelly Furtrardo (don't know if I spelled it wrong) song.

award shows are just a joke all around these days. first off theres too damn many of them s much so they all bleed into each other . and then they choose the lamest peopel to host the shows once in a great while youll get chris rock or george lopez hosting some awards show but stars always get offended when they get singled otu and they cant take a joke. remember sean penns whiny tirade about chris rocks jude law joke?

i was hoping at least from a performance standpoint the grammys would be a worthy watch but damn if only 2 performances staood out as acceptable. its all so dull and watered down and i cant stand the canned commentary as people like fergie struggle to read out loud whats on the monitor in front of them.

i miss the days of the 80s mtv awards when shit happend all the time unscripted and they wanted that nowdays with the fcc acting like ss men people are too scared to let shit happen. and not to knock all the other races and music types that are doing their own awards shows now because i can understand the need to have somethign where you get acknowledged for your contribution to movies or film or tv or music but damn its just too damn much.

i think the only award show id deem worth watching would be the razzies and how long will that last as a wrothwhile watch? and i still dont get why so many stars did covers of other peoples tunes when their own would be so much better and of course its funny how many stars who had stellar hits with their albums got completly overlooked but eh much like the oscars its all about ass kissing and the peopel who deserve to win rarely ever do.

Girlfriend was watching it last night. Not sure why since she doesn't listen to most of that music anyway. I was wondering about the Chili Peppers, I just thought he couldn't hit the notes. Anyway, I'm annoyed with them. Stop signing about California already, we get it, you're from there, move on.

[quote name='YoshiFan1']I used to listen to mainstream music and got sick of it but I still like the late 90's music. I didn't even bother watching the Grammy's this year as I had no interest and can't stand the music.

At work, the employees either listen to a rap/r&B station or #1 hit music station and I don't know how people listen to it all day. I must hear that annoying Beyonce song 6 - 8 times a day (You Must Not Know About Me or whatever the heck it is called), same with some Nelly Furtrardo (don't know if I spelled it wrong) song.[/quote]

Man, I have gotten so sick of music radio. I listen to sports or talk radio 95% of the time now.

I had to suffer through the Grammy's last night with the lady. I still can't believe the Tribute to James Brown was Christina singing It's a Man's World. Just goes to show how much the Academy actually thought of him(only 3 grammys out of all of his music).

At least the guy from Tool got the honor for best packaging design and Slayer got best Metal Performance. Those were pretty on the mark.

[quote name='SithFran']Girlfriend was watching it last night. Not sure why since she doesn't listen to most of that music anyway. I was wondering about the Chili Peppers, I just thought he couldn't hit the notes. Anyway, I'm annoyed with them. Stop signing about California already, we get it, you're from there, move on.[/QUOTE]

Holy crap. These are my exact thoughts and my exact situation.

[quote name='SithFran']Girlfriend was watching it last night. Not sure why since she doesn't listen to most of that music anyway. I was wondering about the Chili Peppers, I just thought he couldn't hit the notes. Anyway, I'm annoyed with them. Stop signing about California already, we get it, you're from there, move on.[/QUOTE]

Chili Peppers are dead to me

they stopped being relevant after Blood Sugar Sex Magic, and even that was only a partial success

r.i.p. Hillel

hillelslovak2.jpg

[quote name='lokizz']award shows are just a joke all around these days. first off theres too damn many of them s much so they all bleed into each other . and then they choose the lamest peopel to host the shows once in a great while youll get chris rock or george lopez hosting some awards show but stars always get offended when they get singled otu and they cant take a joke. remember sean penns whiny tirade about chris rocks jude law joke?

i was hoping at least from a performance standpoint the grammys would be a worthy watch but damn if only 2 performances staood out as acceptable. its all so dull and watered down and i cant stand the canned commentary as people like fergie struggle to read out loud whats on the monitor in front of them.

i miss the days of the 80s mtv awards when shit happend all the time unscripted and they wanted that nowdays with the fcc acting like ss men people are too scared to let shit happen. and not to knock all the other races and music types that are doing their own awards shows now because i can understand the need to have somethign where you get acknowledged for your contribution to movies or film or tv or music but damn its just too damn much.

i think the only award show id deem worth watching would be the razzies and how long will that last as a wrothwhile watch? and i still dont get why so many stars did covers of other peoples tunes when their own would be so much better and of course its funny how many stars who had stellar hits with their albums got completly overlooked but eh much like the oscars its all about ass kissing and the peopel who deserve to win rarely ever do.[/quote]

This is right on the mark.

[quote name='camoor']:rofl:

That's awesome - those guys sound like Yanni when they really get going with the pan flutes.

As always for the music industry, the keyword is "out of touch"[/QUOTE]

Hey, now I like Jethro Tull... But Heavy Metal? Somewhere GWAR is preparing an jazz alblum just to fool us all.

[quote name='CitizenB']I don't ever watch award shows. I don't care if some rich people get an award for being a puppet to someone else's idea.[/quote]

I couldn't agree more.

[quote name='CitizenB']I don't ever watch award shows. I don't care if some rich people get an award for being a puppet to someone else's idea.[/quote]

You do get the occaisional wardrobe malfunction though.

Meh, all award shows are long ego-stroking advertisements for whatever media/celebrities are involved. I did want to see the Police, though. Thank goodness for youtube...

I turned it on for about 30 seconds then asked myself why the hell I wasted half a minute watching the Grammy awards.

[quote name='gunm']I did want to see the Police, though. Thank goodness for youtube...[/QUOTE]

Double goodness for (blank) so I can have a nice DVD ready mpeg. :D

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Man, I have gotten so sick of music radio. I listen to sports or talk radio 95% of the time now.[/QUOTE]

michael savage ftw

[quote name='SithFran']Stop signing about California already, we get it, you're from there, move on.[/QUOTE]

I guess you don't listen to rap, then. Rappers have been mentioning what city/street they are from in every other song since the Fat Boys.

Also, Mary J hasn't been listenable since her first album.

[quote name='iheartmetal']michael savage ftw[/quote]

I either have it dialed to ESPN or Fox Sports, or Neil Boortz, Kim Komando, or Clark Howard. I also listened to Car Talk, Prarie Home Companion, and All Things Considered on NPR but it has been awhile for those.

[quote name='Zing']I guess you don't listen to rap, then. Rappers have been mentioning what city/street they are from in every other song since the Fat Boys.

Also, Mary J hasn't been listenable since her first album.[/quote]

Real Love and What's the 411? are still her best songs IMO.

Grand Puba FTW.

There is Jethro Tull material which is more "metal" than lots of actual metal. When Tull wants to rock hard, they rock very hard, but I'm glad they prefer the more flowery prog rock material.

Anyways, as for mainstream music. I -hate- mainstream music like most people here, but not "fluff" music in general. At one point I was a -huge- Hilary Duff fan [still anxious for her new album, there is good music on the CD's] and I have a strange interest in Disney Channel starlets [seriously, there is somewhat decent pop rock coming out from these young girls, and some of them can actually sing, unlike the chart toppers who think singing is belting for 4 minutes straight]

However, as for mainstream music, it gets worse, and worse, and worse..my main "pet peeves" or whatever you want to call them right now...

Falsettos: Justin Timberlake, Robin Thicke, and Jesse McCartney all stand guilty. Why do people consider guys holding their breath, squeezing their noses, and singing two octaves too high sexy or talented in anyway? It sounds fucking ridiculous.

Hip hop: seriously, what genre isn't influenced by hip hop these days? There's no straight pop, no straight rock, all chart music is "hip hop" in one way or another. From milk white Jojo sounding like a younger Beyonce, to Linkin Park and their wonderful rhymes, hip hop is pervasive in that ALL chart music is somewhat influenced or straight our hip hop or R&B. Look at the dance charts, how much of it is actual dance music? Not much: once in a while you get someone like Cascada but for the most part, it's all Shakira remixes. I'd love to go back in time to the early 90's and tell Shakira [in her days when she was a serious rock/pop soloist] "IN THE FUTURE, YOU WILL FORGET ROCK MUSIC ALTOGETHER AND BECOME A REGGAETON/SPANISH HIP HOP STAR" She'd probably flip me off and say "VIVA EL ROCK AND ROLL!!!"...

I have a problem with rock music, in that none of it is really rock music. It's all more frivolous and mindless than Disney Channel material, the chord progressions, the guitar work, you can hear the same exact riffs in fucking Hannah Montana songs. And there's my problem with the genre, when a manufactured pre teen starlet's band can sound just like your built from the ground up "legit" rock band, you have a problem. You won't catch Hilary Duff's crew ever being even HALF as talented as Led Zeppelin, but I guarantee you that her guitarist can play circles around My Chemical Romance's or Hoobastank's lead.

Popular artists like Christina Aguilera and Mariah Carey have such amazing voices that I really love some of their songs. Mariah's songs have almost no substance compared to when she came out with Vision of Love, but songs like Honey, It's Like That, and Shake It Off are damn catchy.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']You do get the occaisional wardrobe malfunction though.[/quote]

Not really.

I thought I would enjoy some T&A with the Shakira song but it was just lame. All her backup singers looked like E3 booth babe rejects as they stiffly hopped around in this odd plastic half-plate armor covering up any tittilating parts, and Shakira looked dumpy and tired as she did that dance with her hips that is just so played.

The only cool part was this lighting effect in the background, they had a spotlight shining through colorful rotating mandalas, giving this trippy kalidascope effect.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Popular artists like Christina Aguilera and Mariah Carey have such amazing voices that I really love some of their songs. Mariah's songs have almost no substance compared to when she came out with Vision of Love, but songs like Honey, It's Like That, and Shake It Off are damn catchy.[/QUOTE]

i honestly can't tell if you're being serious or not
confused.jpg

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I either have it dialed to ESPN or Fox Sports, or Neil Boortz, Kim Komando, or Clark Howard. I also listened to Car Talk, Prarie Home Companion, and All Things Considered on NPR but it has been awhile for those.[/quote]

yeah savage and boortz are cool and of course the best radio show is coast to coast am. definelty the only shows on the radio worth listening to.

I dont bother with the grammys...they fuct up to the tenth power when jethro tull won the freakin metal award...give me a break...they obviously dont understand the metal genre in general...

[quote name='Bathory']I dont bother with the grammys...they fuct up to the tenth power when jethro tull won the freakin metal award...give me a break...they obviously dont understand the metal genre in general...[/QUOTE]

agreed

until
venom_band01.jpg
win a lifetime achievement award, i won't be watching

I recall a simpsons episode where Homer throws his grammy out the window and they throw the 'garbage" back up at him. That is an OLD episode.

[quote name='PKRipp3r']agreed

until
venom_band01.jpg
win a lifetime achievement award, i won't be watching[/quote]

I think Slipknot or Korn will win that before a band that deserves it would.

Yeah, I remember seeing the ads for The Grammys during the Superbowl, and everyone they mentioned that would be there. I was like, "and this is how they're gonna get me to watch?"

[quote name='PKRipp3r']i honestly can't tell if you're being serious or not
[/quote]

If you don't see a "lol" then I am serious.

Christina Aguilera and Mariah Carey have two of the most amazing voices in popular music by far.

Personally, I'd rather listen to Amel Larrieux than anyone else for singing, but most people have no idea about her awesomeness.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']If you don't see a "lol" then I am serious.

Christina Aguilera and Mariah Carey have two of the most amazing voices in popular music by far.

Personally, I'd rather listen to Amel Larrieux than anyone else for singing, but most people have no idea about her awesomeness.[/QUOTE]

k

i admire your honesty in regard to your musical taste

and i for one didn't count Mariah out when she went all the way cra-zay.

i knew she had another #1 in her

for the record though, i'd rather have all music on earth disappear tomorrow before I listened to Christina or Mariah... but that's just me. :)

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Popular artists like Christina Aguilera and Mariah Carey have such amazing voices that I really love some of their songs. Mariah's songs have almost no substance compared to when she came out with Vision of Love, but songs like Honey, It's Like That, and Shake It Off are damn catchy.[/QUOTE]

Those songs don't do shit for showcasing her voice. fuck, Ciara could sing those songs and there wouldn't be much difference except for the tiny parts where Mariah does actually use her voice.

I agree with Mariah and Christina being two of the best. Whitney Houston is also wonderful but she has obviously gotten out of the music scene for the past few years. Also, these people are obviously not in the business anymore, but I love Chaka Khan's and Aretha's voices. Also, no one knows who she is in the states, but Anastacia is amazing.

EDIT: I also like the song Mary J. Blige won for. Some of the lyrics are kind of awkward, but I can relate to a lot of the lyrics and I love when she does the long note near the end.

bread's done
Back