Gran Turismo 5 - 1000+ Cars! - 1/6: GT5 XL Edition w/DLC & Spec 2.0 - 1/17 - $39.99

[quote name='panzerfaust']

So putting GT5's campaign aside, it's also disappointing to hear that the online portion doesn't have all the bells and whistles. But it works and does what it needs to do -- and I can only assume this game hosts the best driving mechanics on the market, which is the biggest selling point.[/QUOTE]Any game that comes from Japan will not have a massive online. I learned that long ago. GT5P already told me that GT5 would not have a massive online in the end.

Regardless, still excited for the game. :D

Has anyone been able to join the game lobby for multiplayer? I get the server connection error like many people have today as expected, but am able to see the GT TV stuff suggesting I am actually online.

FFFFF---------------KKKKKKKK ordered 23 days a go n now amazon e-mails me with delay shipment, but it still says arriving today... we'll see how good release day shipping is or no more amazon pre-orders!

[quote name='Chuplayer']Did anybody else's GameStop pre-order code only give them one car? The Joey Logano #20 NASCAR? I redeemed my code, and it didn't give me the McLaren Stealth car.[/QUOTE]

amazon didnt even send me my code. im wondering if anyone on here got theirs? though i see some people didnt even get their game on time so probably not.

[quote name='j-cart']My code gave me both cars (stealth nascar and stealth mclaren) from gamestop.com[/QUOTE]

Grrrrrrr......

Online NASCAR at Daytona is a riot. Sometimes you get people who bring sedans or exotic sports cars to the race, and it always ends hilariously. Somebody said over the voice chat, "A Lamborghini? It's going to be hard to bump draft with that, but all right." In the first turn, before everybody even got up to speed, the Lamborghini got its shit rocked. It went flying. Totally taken out of the race :lol: Then I went on to win \\:D/

I think there is a way to restrict it to only NASCAR cars, but you have to enable each car one by one. I think. I inherited hosting duties, and I saw an option that seemed like it would do that, but I didn't want to go poking around at that moment.

Fortunately, and unfortunately, the only way to really get the NASCAR feel is to turn off the penalties function. Otherwise you get cars that go transparent and get their power cut. Sometimes there's no penalty, and the car only goes transparent. That might throw you off if you're trying to set up to do a bump draft or something. But then that allows idiots to drive the wrong way without penalty, I think. They should have an option for wrong way penalties only.

[quote name='Chuplayer']Grrrrrrr......

Online NASCAR at Daytona is a riot. Sometimes you get people who bring sedans or exotic sports cars to the race, and it always ends hilariously. Somebody said over the voice chat, "A Lamborghini? It's going to be hard to bump draft with that, but all right." In the first turn, before everybody even got up to speed, the Lamborghini got its shit rocked. It went flying. Totally taken out of the race :lol: Then I went on to win \\:D/
[/QUOTE]
That's pretty awesome. I'm pretty excited to play this tonight, but I'm torn because I'm playing Sly Collection and I don't want to ignore that.

Too many games to play :bomb:

I took a nape and GT5 shows up woo. Popped it in and install the first update.... 1455 minutes left lol. I guess there's a lot of people hitting their network this evening for some odd reason.

[quote name='iwannadie']I took a nape and GT5 shows up woo. Popped it in and install the first update.... 1455 minutes left lol. I guess there's a lot of people hitting their network this evening for some odd reason.[/QUOTE]

Hopefully it doesn't take that long. I'm sure it's just because it's release day.

[quote name='Dr. Strangepork']Can anyone confirm if the My Home features are included:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010...s-legacy-tracks-weather-effects-x1-prototype/

If so great (although I can see no indication on the gt site).If not, maybe a major update is in the near future . . .[/QUOTE]
The Community features? It's under the Community tab in GT Mode. GT Life is the main part of GT Mode with the A-Spec and B-Spec races, special events, license tests, dealerships, and all that.

[quote name='iwannadie']I took a nape and GT5 shows up woo. Popped it in and install the first update.... 1455 minutes left lol. I guess there's a lot of people hitting their network this evening for some odd reason.[/QUOTE]

i had trouble connecting for the update, but once i did it went pretty fast. Now i am installing, 3 minutes left........3 minutes left.............3 minutes left for about 15 minutes now, must be that sony math.

I kept getting disconnected trying the update, I thought maybe go do the install but it's going to make me do the update first.

Can someone with the collector's edition comment whether the book about cars and racing techniques is any good. Internet sites have same 2-3 pages scanned which aren't in English

[quote name='vic_x51']FFFFF---------------KKKKKKKK ordered 23 days a go n now amazon e-mails me with delay shipment, but it still says arriving today... we'll see how good release day shipping is or no more amazon pre-orders![/QUOTE]

I have had the game ordered since this Summer and Amazon failed to get it to me today..... a paying Prime member. To that I give Amazon a big fuck you.

[quote name='nightmare452']I don't agree that Sim is gameplay. Simulation is a part of the gameplay element of a game, not the gameplay itself. Great simulation does not equal fun or even good.

I'm thinking the same. Why do most of you care and defend it so much, seems most of ya don't even have it yet. If you enjoy it, enjoy it, forget what reviews say, let alone dissect said reviews and say you don't mind the reviews scores in the first place.[/QUOTE]

The game is a simulation "racing" game. Simulation does not equal fun or even good is your own opinion.. in this game's case - Simulation of racing is what the game is all about. How well does this game reproduce real life driving. How does rain / snow impair your vision, and how does the game recreate the difficultly in driving in these conditions. If simulation isn't gameplay.. then what is that you consider as gameplay? [in this case]

Why can't they have resumable downloads for the updates omg. I got to 96% and then it hung and eventually said I was disconnected. Had to start back at 0 again.

I downloaded the update with no problem, although I went for the straight up install and it hung at "4 seconds left" for about 5 minutes.

Other than that, I am enjoying the game profusely. I typically play arcade style racing games, so this is a nice change of pace. Hell, I haven't played a simulation racing game since, well, GT3. Still, I am loving the simulation features, which is probably my favorite part. The community features seem pretty cool as well, though I have yet to explore them aside from the mandatory start up sequences.

Oh yeah. Having the epic music play when you get a car is especially hilarious when you get a guy coming out of the shadows in a go kart. I didn't think it would be possible to look like a bad ass in a go kart, but they certainly achieved it. Classic.

What have people picked for their first car so far? I'm leaning towards getting the 97 Civic at the Dealership new rather than pick up a used one with 20 less horsies and only 10 less kilos of weight.

[quote name='Mad39er']What have people picked for their first car so far? I'm leaning towards getting the 97 Civic at the Dealership new rather than pick up a used one with 20 less horsies and only 10 less kilos of weight.[/QUOTE]

Mazda something something. It's dominated everyone in the level 0 and level 1 races so far, which earned me enough credits to buy something better.

Get something with a lot of horsepower. I found that the AI likes to smoke you on the straightaways in the early stages, at least in my experience.

How's the rally racing in this? I know I'll get it eentually, but the quality and quantity of rally may entice me sooner, especially since WRC still isn't stateside. How many tracks, cars are there and is it done well?

doing the install... most installs I've done the time remaining is usually wrong but usually takes less time than it shows...

this has taken way longer than it says... had 13 minutes left almost 30 minutes ago...

[quote name='Afflicted']doing the install... most installs I've done the time remaining is usually wrong but usually takes less time than it shows...

this has taken way longer than it says... had 13 minutes left almost 30 minutes ago...[/QUOTE]

20 minutes my ass. More like 40.

I started the installation, waited around a little bit, picked up Chinese takeout, arrived home and it still wasn't finished.

[quote name='DrMunkee']20 minutes my ass. More like 40.

I started the installation, waited around a little bit, picked up Chinese takeout, arrived home and it still wasn't finished.[/QUOTE]

ok... it's been 45 seconds left for the last 5 minutes...

[quote name='Afflicted']ok... it's been 45 seconds left for the last 5 minutes...[/QUOTE]

Don't tough anything. Mine was at 40 seconds for about 5 minutes, then updated to 3 seconds...where it stayed for like 3 minutes before finishing the install.

[quote name='Afflicted']ok... it's been 45 seconds left for the last 5 minutes...[/QUOTE]

well as soon as I posted that it dropped to 3 seconds remaining... been there ever since...

so 5 minutes at 3 seconds left

last edit... done 1 minute later.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Mad39er']What have people picked for their first car so far? I'm leaning towards getting the 97 Civic at the Dealership new rather than pick up a used one with 20 less horsies and only 10 less kilos of weight.[/QUOTE]

I got one of the Civics. I had the choice of a white one. I don't know if that's randomly generated for each person, but that's what I had available. I worked on a classmate's Civic in high school in auto shop class. Good times.

More updates on the online:

Again, I've only played NASCAR Daytona races.

The more players you have, the more likely the starts are to totally glitch out. Cars completely spinning out as soon as the screen goes from black to track and cars. It's weird, and it needs to be fixed.

Occasionally the black screen before the race takes an unusually long time to go away, but I've found it always went away.

People can't keep their shit together when in packs. If there are 12 or so players, there is going to be a big one.

You can kick players. I had to kick some moron who was only out to cause mayhem. That was a relief.

You can't change the time of day for Daytona to twilight or night or whatever. That's a bit of a bummer because you can see the lightposts lining the track. I wanted to recreate the end of the Daytona 500 earlier this year.

I didn't see any options for cautions. That's a bit of a disappointment in the WE ARE SUPER SIM scheme of things.

You don't gain experience or cash while playing online :(

But, hell, the game's a whole lot of fun to play. I haven't enjoyed online gaming this much in almost 10 years.

There was an Evo that I could afford, but could not purchase because you had to be level 3.

So, I just settled for an FTO.

Is there a bugatti veyron in the game? if so how to unlock it? It really have over 1000 cars? but it seems that they only have around 250 cars i guess....

[quote name='Thomas96']can the save from prolougue be used with this game?[/QUOTE]

Yes but it only unlocks cars for Arcade Mode.

Anyone interest in being in a league? Say 8-10 people, do like 5 races one night a week, keep score over a month and crown monthly champions?

If your interested, and your not a dick who would simply drive flat out into the side of everyone in the first turn. Send me a PM.

I really suck at B-spec mode.

All I do is bark orders until my driver gets angry and starts slamming into the backs of cars.

It's pretty funny, but no matter what I do, he gets more and more in the red.

All I can think of while watching is "Give me the freaking wheel".

I think I'll stick to A-spec mode until I read a few tips for B-spec :)

[quote name='MisterBee']If your interested, and your not a dick who would simply drive flat out into the side of everyone in the first turn. Send me a PM.[/QUOTE]
It may be a little too early for me to be serious about competitive driving but I laugh a lot if I can cause the AI to wipe out or if I can cause a spectacular amount of stupidity to happen while getting away with it. I'd say let people get settled into the game first before you start batting away disruptive gamers since I haven't really had a bad CAG gaming experience yet. So far we're pretty reasonably unreasonable bastards. :bouncy:

Edit: I just got a free go kart for reaching level 1, awesomeawesomeawesome love this game.

I'm really enjoying this game especially with G27 race wheel the paddle shifts are nice. The special events are really fun enjoyed the Kart racing and NASCAR (were you feel some nice resistance with the wheel) and tried the Samba VW bus which are painfully slow. I picked up the CE edition and the Apex book is amazing. My certificate of authenticity is 56828.

Has anybody gotten the head tracking stuff to work? I messed with the settings and moved my seat up closer to the TV/camera, but I'm not getting any response.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Has anybody gotten the head tracking stuff to work? I messed with the settings and moved my seat up closer to the TV/camera, but I'm not getting any response.[/QUOTE]
It only works in arcade mode. Seriously. It's especially painful because it's actually really cool.

That's a weird restriction if that's the case.

I like the Museum cards idea where you get a few cards every day that you get on and are online since they have some neat images/factoids in there. It's down at the moment due to the server maintenance that's going on right now to combat the huge server load from the launch.

[quote name='drbutchevil']I did the full install, but am still seeing popups for installing down in corner, anyone else having this?[/QUOTE]

It's normal.

Also my driver is a fucking dumbass in this game. Seriously I gave him a car that can kick ass (I mean I can win the race by like 5-10 seconds), and he can't even come in 2nd.

been tinkering with 3d on my Sony NX810, but can't seem to get good settings. Anyone with a 3D tv, what convergence and parallax settings did you use?

I agree with most people that Forza 3 is still a better "game" but I can't use my G25 wheel with Forza so that makes it a moot point. My money goes to GT5 and the incessant loading screens -_-

[quote name='kobeisgod']Can someone with the collector's edition comment whether the book about cars and racing techniques is any good. Internet sites have same 2-3 pages scanned which aren't in English[/QUOTE]

The book, Apex, is totally awesome. I fully intend to read it thoroughly.

I picked the civic. Had no trouble winning my first three races.

[quote name='Zoglog']

I agree with most people that Forza 3 is still a better "game" but I can't use my G25 wheel with Forza so that makes it a moot point. My money goes to GT5 and the incessant loading screens -_-[/QUOTE]

Forza is an arcade racer that wants to be a sim. GT is a sim that wants to be real. :)

On another note, I'm extremely disappointed with the game's dependence on external servers. You mean to tell me that I have to disable my Internet settings in order to play GT5? Fail.

bread's done
Back