Grand Theft Auto IV - Gen. Discussion & Info (PS3) OUT NOW PS3 review score = 99.6%

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I will admit, I'm not GTA fan, but the review is kind of making me want it, but we'll see. Pretty cool to see the game get a 10/10.[/QUOTE]

I'm a semi-fan and wasn't sure I'd get it, but the online gameplay I think sold me, plus the reviews are good thus far.

[quote name='seen']Have there been any video comparisons vs. 360 version? I've pre-ordered both, but if the Ps3 version is any less I'd just stick with the 360 version.

Help is appreciated![/QUOTE]

If you read the reviews of IGN. IGN prefers the ps3 version because

- Far Less Pop In
- Faster Load Times
- Less Texture Pop in
- Better Anti-Aliasing

I know the Pop-In is REALLY REALLY bad in some parts of the game. I have witnessed it myself. Its not so bad in the early parts of the game but later when the map opens up.

I'm trying to avoid reading reviews for this one. I usually don't mind, but I'm just too excited. The only thing I did was skip ahead in ign's to see if they mentioned more about MP.

It's so close I can taste it . . .

I just watched the "Ladies of Liberty City" video on IGN. That shit was funny! I know some idiot parent that buys this for their kid is going to shit a brick:hot: when the see some of that..

I should have preordered this game.... anyone know if it's still possible? Do you need to have it preordered to pick it up at a midnight release?

if GTA VCS had custom soundtracks, it should be a given that the PS3 version has a custom soundtrack as well. (Although we know its not really a given)

PS3 is supposed to get some sort of DLC I heard, so hopefully, if the game doesn't have custom sountracks that perhaps we can get it in the future.

[quote name='shnizzle66']Come on guys, we get the better version and there's only 3 pages? Where's the love?[/quote]

I preordered the game and but I'm trying not to give my self blue balls until I have a copy in my hands. :drool:

Any word on how this game will run on the PSN? I'm scared of choosing online multiplayer games on the PS3 over the 360 now after what happened with R6V2

Not to sound like sour grapes because I really don't care but it is kind of interesting how all the early PS3 games that had frame rate issues/pop in issues were penalized on IGN because of that but this game gets a 10 on both consoles.

I dont care about video game review scores.
Just the same with movie reviews.

But it does make me feel better if a game i am already planning on purchasing gets good scores from mulitple sites. So i know its not going to be another Lair failure.

IMO "10s" should be used more often then they are. If you have ascalel of 1-10.. then USE THE WHOLE SCALE.

That means more 1s for crappy games and more 10s for great games.

[quote name='bstan21']Not to sound like sour grapes because I really don't care but it is kind of interesting how all the early PS3 games that had frame rate issues/pop in issues were penalized on IGN because of that but this game gets a 10 on both consoles.[/QUOTE]

The game is just that good that MINOR framerate issues don't matter.

In the end all reviews are subjective, no need to get bothered by any of them.

Key here is that this game's getting some consistently high ratings, but I'm not surprised, those Houser guys have always been on the ball and this is a true sequel to III unlike vice city and san andreas that were more of expansions.

Ok, it's official...I'm getting the PS3 version. Everyone with the PS3 version here send me a friend invite. Also, this was the deciding factor: IGN's Insider video.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDPHW8nJfrc[/media]

[quote name='dallow']My order just shipped. Thanks Amazon.[/quote]
Mine too, thank God! I was going to go crazy if I didn't have it soon. :D

[quote name='dallow']My order just shipped. Thanks Amazon.[/quote]

[quote name='freakyzeeky']Mine too, thank God! I was going to go crazy if I didn't have it soon. :D[/quote]

When did you place your orders?

No tax on a $90 purchase is what made me go this route.
Plus you get an exclusive license plate. Not sure what I'll do with these bonus items, but I'm a sucker for them.

[quote name='RiCeBo1']Ok, it's official...I'm getting the PS3 version. Everyone with the PS3 version here send me a friend invite. Also, this was the deciding factor: IGN's Insider video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDPHW8nJfrc[/quote]

That was a pretty good video.. until the last 45 seconds. What a crock.

Cliff notes: PS3 version is clearly better with several noted advantages, but the verdict is, "Get what your friends are playing."

[quote name='dallow']No tax on a $90 purchase is what made me go this route.
Plus you get an exclusive license plate. Not sure what I'll do with these bonus items, but I'm a sucker for them.[/quote]

My exact thought process on order from Amazon...with the added bonus of not having to go to the mall at midnight.

[quote name='dallow']No tax on a $90 purchase is what made me go this route.
Plus you get an exclusive license plate. Not sure what I'll do with these bonus items, but I'm a sucker for them.[/quote]

Same exact reason as well... I wanted that license plate. ;)

[quote name='bmachine']When did you place your orders?[/quote]

I placed my order last week... it's arriving on or around May 3rd :)

I've heard reports that neither version has integrated user soundtracks. On the 360 you can play your own music in the blade, of course, but it plays over cellphone calls and such.

There's still the chance that you can 'upgrade' your phone in the game, perhaps. Or some other unlockable.

Anyhow, I'll be disappointed, but fuck it.

[quote name='RiCeBo1']Ok, it's official...I'm getting the PS3 version. Everyone with the PS3 version here send me a friend invite. Also, this was the deciding factor: IGN's Insider video.

[/quote]

I watched the video.. quality wasn't great but I couldn't really tell a difference. Can you tell my what/where/why? haha I'll be getting a PS3 either way b/c I sold my 360 for one.. but still would like to know.. couldn't tell.

Spawn Cognoscenti (Mafia Car): "Call CAR-555-0142"
Spawn Sanchez (Dirt Bike): "Call MBK-555-0150"
Spawn FBI Buffalo: Call "CAR-555-000"
Spawn Turismo: Call "CAR-555-0147"
Spawn NRG900: Call "MBK-555-0100"
Spawn Comet: Call "CAR-555-0175"
Spawn SuperGT: Call "CAR-555-0168"
Spawn Police Chopper: Call "FLY-555-0100"
Spawn Jetmax(Boat): Call "WET-555-0100"

Health And Weapons: Call "GTA-555-0100"
Weapons: Call "GUN-555-0150"
Advanced Weapons: Call "GUN-555-0100"
Health: Call "DOC-555-0100"
Wanted Level Down: Call "COP-555-0100"
Wanted Level Up: Call "COP-555-0150"
Climate Change: Call "HOT-555-0100"

Note #1: They are all tested by me, and they work.
Note #2: Each of these blocks one or more achievements.
Note #3: After you enter a cheat, a Cheat Menu shows up in your mobile, where the cheats you've already entered are.

Anyone who placed overnight orders with Amazon get their "shipping" email yet?

They charged my credit card yesterday but I haven't gotten the email yet. Blargh!

[quote name='bmachine']Anyone who placed overnight orders with Amazon get their "shipping" email yet?

They charged my credit card yesterday but I haven't gotten the email yet. Blargh![/quote]

I work for an online retailer and it is standard policy (maybe even a legal requirement) to not charge until something has actually been shipped. On the other hand I usually receive Amazon ship confirms in the evening hours, 4pm+ EST, so you might just have to wait until later for the confirm.

edit: Just noticed the thing about them charging you yesterday. They probably boxed it up, marked it as shipped in there system, and were just waiting to have UPS pick it up today.

[quote name='QiG']

Cliff notes: PS3 version is clearly better with several noted advantages, but the verdict is, "Get what your friends are playing."[/QUOTE]

That's not what he said at all.

[quote name='bmachine']Anyone who placed overnight orders with Amazon get their "shipping" email yet?

They charged my credit card yesterday but I haven't gotten the email yet. Blargh![/quote]

Got it and playing it :p

[quote name='CocheseUGA']That's not what he said at all.[/quote]

Of course he didn't, which is why I didn't agree with the conclusion. :roll: Every head to head comparison they based the video on came out with the PS3 having the edge except for when he mentioned the autoaiming; which is based on holding a trigger button half-way down, and he only said he was more comfortable doing that on the 360 controller but it didn't take long at all to adjust to the PS3 controller.

[quote name='QiG']Of course he didn't, which is why I didn't agree with the conclusion. :roll: Every head to head comparison they based the video on came out with the PS3 having the edge except for when he mentioned the autoaiming; which is based on holding a trigger button half-way down, and he only said he was more comfortable doing that on the 360 controller but it didn't take long at all to adjust to the PS3 controller.[/QUOTE]

All the advantages he was talking about were slight. Nothing back-breaking, nothing to indicate you should get one version over the other.

FWIW, the PS3 is running at 630p, and the 360 is running at 720p.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']FWIW, the PS3 is running at 630p, and the 360 is running at 720p.[/quote]Not worth a thing.

[quote name='dallow']Not worth a thing.[/QUOTE]

Those are the facts, though. It's up to the individual, and it's worth letting them know before they go buy it.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Those are the facts, though. It's up to the individual, and it's worth letting them know before they go buy it.[/quote]
Yes, and the game looks better as a result of it.
360 version should have done the same ala Halo 3 to up performance.

[quote name='dallow']Yes, and the game looks better as a result of it.
360 version should have done the same ala Halo 3 to up performance.[/QUOTE]

Honestly, I watched the head-to-head video and I couldn't decide which one looked better. Different, yes, but not better. Everyone is saying the performance is probably within 5% or closer, if you could rate it like that.

I was tempted to get the PS3 version, but DLC and cheezmints won me over. Plus, I think the 360 triggers are infinitely better.

But honestly, there is no wrong or better version.

Got the email! Should be here tomorrow. Woo!

[quote name='dallow']Please don't tell me you used the youtube quality video to judge.

I'll agree though, both versions rock.[/QUOTE]

Is there any other way? If there is, then please show me.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Is there any other way? If there is, then please show me.[/quote]
You can't at the moment, you can only go by what 99% of the media is saying.
No one can tell a difference from the dumb streaming videos online.

You can tomorrow though. With two copies of the game, on the same TV, with the same settings.

bread's done
Back