Grand Theft Auto IV - Gen. Discussion & Info (PS3) OUT NOW PS3 review score = 99.6%

[quote name='CocheseUGA']That article is ridiculous, at least the last part.

Rapid response? It's only been two days, damn.[/quote]

I think he is talking about the lack of any kind of official statement at this point. I think within 4-5 hours of Kotaku's Bully story, R* responded about the issue. Where as this time around, they have said nothing publicly and a lot of people feel left in the lurch.

2 days without any kind of hint of what is going on is a long time for people with broken games.

I am playing a ton of this online.

Please add me ( cdietschrun ) or tell me what I should do to find all you guys. I would like an organized set of games!

[quote name='NamPaehc']I think he is talking about the lack of any kind of official statement at this point. I think within 4-5 hours of Kotaku's Bully story, R* responded about the issue. Where as this time around, they have said nothing publicly and a lot of people feel left in the lurch.

2 days without any kind of hint of what is going on is a long time for people with broken games.[/QUOTE]

It's probably because they aren't sure how to fix it. Two days is nothing. People are too impatient, and want everything 'right now.'

It took a couple of years to make, it's going to take more than a couple of days to fix.

The Bully patch took forever. Was it a month later?
I just hope whatever patch they put out doesn't mess with my perfectly working copy. :knock on wood:

I am playing a ton of this online.

Please add me ( cdietschrun ) or tell me what I should do to find all you guys. I would like an organized set of games!
How is it online? I haven't tried yet.

I'll be honest. I don't play online a lot on many games, but I really like GTA4s online. There are a bunch of different modes that are fun to try and I haven't tried them all. But just playing a team deathmatch is fun.

I would hope that we can all manage to set up game nights because I would absolutely be in them. I never play much online of anything, but this game's online is worth playing.

Cops 'n Crooks is great. Hangman's NOOSE is great. Free Roam is as compelling as your playmates.

It's worthwhile to stick it out for crowded servers.

[quote name='cdietschrun']I am playing a ton of this online.

Please add me ( cdietschrun ) or tell me what I should do to find all you guys. I would like an organized set of games![/quote]

There is an official thread for gta online here. So you can voice your opinion there. Currently we have it setup so that official CAG nights will be Tuesday and Sunday nights. But the OP contains the PSN names of regular online players so you can hook up other times.

Sony says that it is only affecting a limited number of systems. Which again seem seems like damage control to me. Keeps those who are playing out of their hair and hopefully keeps customers from moving to the box. Lucky 1% here we come again!

Then mention a small amount of calls to CS, but maybe everyone is calling R*'s instead.

BTW, as far as I can tell R* hasn't said anything publicly about this issue yet.

The freezing issues with Grand Theft Auto IV is affecting a limited number of Playstation 3s and there has been a low volume of calls to customer service about the issue, Sony Computer Entertainment of America said today in the first public statement about the apparent problem.
Despite the "limited number" of people effected by the freezing, Sony says they are working with Rockstar to isolate the issue and identify a solution.
Yes, we are aware of what the message boards and a few of the industry blogs are saying about a 'freezing' issue with GTA IV on a limited number of PS3s. Although we have seen an extremely low volume of contacts to our customer service department regarding such an issue, we want to ensure that every consumer has a great experience on our console and with GTA IV. All parties involved are working to isolate the problem for those few units and identify a solution.
Let's hope this is something that can be fixed with a quick patch and those few, vocal consumers effected by the problem will be able to get down to the business of playing GTA IV finally.

[quote name='imascrub']dunno...I haven't gotten to internet stuff yet, but I can read the phone text fine on my 37"

Speaking of display though, I noticed on the back of the box it says it supports 720p up to 1080p, but I checked my tv's info and it says it's running at 720p? I noticed there were quite a bit of jaggies on the railing at the boardwalk when I went bowling for the first time...

Is there something I need to do to get it to run at 1080p? My ps3 is already set at 1080p display for the xmb and stuff...[/QUOTE]

Uncheck 720p in the XMB and it'll force 1080p. I hate doing this shit, they really need to make an option so you can prioritize which resolution to use first.

I have a launch 60gb and no problems whatsoever. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the HDD. Are the people with the problem installing and deleting a lot of stuff? Maybe your hard drive is fragmented so its causing the problem. Or maybe using Folding@Home caused the problem. I never used that btw.

[quote name='Thomas96']OMG there are some celebrity cameos in the game.[/quote]

Like who? I know the one cop in the one trailer sounded a hell of a lot like Ray Liotta. So, anyone know? Because I know I checked out the cast list in the instruction manual and didn't find CRAP on the possible cameos.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Like who? I know the one cop in the one trailer sounded a hell of a lot like Ray Liotta. So, anyone know? Because I know I checked out the cast list in the instruction manual and didn't find CRAP on the possible cameos.[/QUOTE]

Katt Williams (Comedian) does a comedy show on TV and I think he does one in the club too

I played today for about 5hrs straight.
Man is this game awesome. I've played all the GTA games, even the ps1 ones. This is a definite upgrade to the series.
For some reason I couldn't connect to the multi-player though.
Weird, I'm signed in on my bro's ps3, but it keeps saying its not working. Maybe the servers r down or something?

there's a guy in there that reminds me of Biff from Back to the Future. Dunno if it's him though lol...just reminds me a lot like him

Ricky Gervais (From the UK version of 'The Office') is in this game, I think he's on one of the television channels... and Iggy Pop is a radio DJ for a rock station. :)

[quote name='freakyzeeky']
Ricky Gervais (From the UK version of 'The Office') is in this game, I think he's on one of the television channels... and Iggy Pop is a radio DJ for a rock station. :)
[/quote]
Yeah I saw his name on a poster in-game

[quote name='Thomas96']
Katt Williams (Comedian) does a comedy show on TV and I think he does one in the club too
[/quote]

Oh ok. I kind of knew about him doing the comedy thing on here. Although, I admit I kind of fast forwarded through the first Cabaret show that I went to with Michelle, with disastrous results(she said she was 'just getting into the show').

Although, I figured that just like any cutscene you could hit X to get by it with no consequences, since I had already seen that routine when my buddy was playing my game on his families PS3.

Oh and for anyone wanting weapons earlier in the game than when you get the pistol, try checking underneath that covered set of benches by the bowling alley down by the park. There's a bunch of molotov cocktails under there, they're glowing bright red so ya can't miss them.

Dwayne or Playboy mission man oh man. I can't believe i killed
Dwayne, i liked dwayne i was even going to kill playboy first but i died trying to get him and went for dwayne the second time. I felt there would be too much heat if i took out playboy x. Anyone kill playboy and know what happened?
I love the story mode this is the first gta i want to play missions and want to beat.

I finally started to play this tonight.

The new control setup takes getting used to. I'm still sporadically pressing 'square' to reverse.

It's pretty good so far. The story's nice and thick.

I also tried a little multiplayer, and it turns out I'm better at it than I thought. I played on 16-man deathmatch game and took second place, by a somewhat close margin.

That more than made up for the absolute thrashing I took in the MGO Beta CAG matches this evening. But, hey, first time playing that, too.

[quote name='mykevermin']I'm still sporadically pressing 'square' to reverse.[/quote]

The number of times I've tried to back out of a police confrontation only to shine my brights in their faces ..

I wonder if it further enrages them.

[quote name='mykevermin']I finally started to play this tonight.

The new control setup takes getting used to. I'm still sporadically pressing 'square' to reverse.

It's pretty good so far. The story's nice and thick.

I also tried a little multiplayer, and it turns out I'm better at it than I thought. I played on 16-man deathmatch game and took second place, by a somewhat close margin.

That more than made up for the absolute thrashing I took in the MGO Beta CAG matches this evening. But, hey, first time playing that, too.[/quote]

I had the Xbox versions of GTAIII, VC and SA and the controls were pretty similar on those, but I absolutely hated them over the PS2 versions.

As for me, I'm trying to figure out how I can cheaply wire up my house to run an ethernet cable up to my PS3, so I can get in on the online fun too.

Oh and Myke, since you're a longtime PS3 owner, can ya tell me exactly how warm the PS3 may get after an hour or two? Is it warm enough that the bottom of the PS3 itself begins to heat up? I have my system laying horizontally.

Thanks for the quick answer, Myke. For now, I'm only playing the PS3 on an SDtv, but GTA IV STILL looks amazing to me. I noticed that Rockstar did away with the 'claw hands' appearance of the characters hands/fingers, which was prevalent in the prior GTA games.

I'm debating getting a copy of Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom for something to go through after I finally get done with GTA IV(which shouldn't be for MONTHS). In the meantime, I'm going to try and get online with it, so don't be surprised if you don't see me on there sooner or later.

No problem - on an aside, I have full faith in the reliability of the console (at least in a relative sense compared to the 360). That said, it does run quite hot, so I rarely leave it on if I'm not using it the way some folks will leave it on to "fold." It's a nice idea, but it runs too hot for me to want to leave it on due to energy costs and the heat it produces warming my living room.

Be sure to throw up your PSN username here once you set it up.

Amusingly, noise was one of my factors when I was debating between the PS3 and 360 versions, but GTA makes my PS3 pretty damned loud around about an hour of play.

I noticed that too, zengonzo. The system starts out quiet as can be, then gets increasingly louder as I play. Either way, I'm stilling loving this system thus far, minus all of the shiny black plastic surfaces that show even the most minute bits of dust.

Oh and I'll definitely add my PSN username, whenever I do get it set up, Myke.

ugh my copy just froze. it just sits at the loading screen all day. ill be pissed if i have to start over =(

Crap, it will not load my save file now... I don't want to start over again. I already played 3-4 hours on Xbox 360 at my friends, then started over on PS3. My PS3 is the 80 GB version, so I thought I might have been safe. I guess not.

Three freezes in ten minutes. This game can fuck right off until it gets patched.

Hello, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Street Fighter Alpha Anthology, and Echochrome!

EDIT For the record, I have a launch 60GB, but I installed a 160GB drive, so it isn't the stock HDD I'm using.

wtf suddenly now my game won't load. looks like there's some issue because it's suddenly happening to everyone, time to pull out my ethernet cable

Hmm.. Mine just locked up twice! I got to about 12% complete since launch day. No sort of lockup up until tonight. Tonight was also the first time that I played it online? Coincidence? Also; I tried reinstalling the game file after the first lock up but it didn't help. Now I am going to try deleting my autosave and turning autosave off. I had two almost identical saves with one being auto and one being manual. I doubt it, but maybe they are conflicting... Anyway; this is definately bullshit and, Zoglog, you could be right. It might have something to do with being connected to the internet. I only say that because I didn't have problems until after I went online with it. Who the fuck knows?!?!

Take2 offered this 12 step "fix". Didn't work for me, it made things worse for others, but for SOME it did help them. So I'll share but it is... well just look at it:

Reports of Grand Theft Auto IV freezing up have been circulating message boards since the game's launch Tuesday, but Rockstar Games has been tight-lipped as to the reason or the remedy, passing off requests for public comment onto Sony. While the majority of complaints appear to be coming from PlayStation 3 users, Xbox 360 owners with glitch-ridden game experiences have also voiced their frustrations online.
Take-Two representatives may not have been willing to go on the record about the issue, but the publisher's tech support team does not have the same luxury when it comes to customer complaints. An inquiry into the Take-Two tech support site yielded the following array of suggestions on how to fix the problem. The 12-part response follows below:
Please run through the following, go through in order.
1) Delete the game's install data. This is done via the PS3 options. Scroll along the cross media bar until you reach the 'Game' tab, now scroll up / down the list until you reach the 'Game Data Utility' Enter this and locate the GTA IV option. Highlight this and press triangle once, from the menu select Delete. This will delete the game's install information.
2) Delete the game's save files. To delete any save files you will need to do the following. Scroll along the cross media bar until you reach the 'Game' tab, now scroll up / down the list until you reach the 'Save Data Utility' Enter this and locate the GTA IV option. Highlight this and press triangle once, and from the context menu select Delete.
3) Disable your Internet connectivity for the PS3. To do this scroll along the cross media bar until you reach the 'Settings' tab, now scroll up / down the list until you reach the 'Network Settings'. Now scroll down to the Internet connection option and press x, now select the disable option. Once this has been done unplug the ethernet cable if you are connecting to the Internet if using this.
4) Disable the console's information board. To do this scroll along the cross media bar until you reach the 'Network' tab, now scroll up / down the list until you reach the 'Information Board', highlight this and press triangle. From the menu select 'Do not display' Press X to confirm this.
5) Disable Media Server functionality. Scroll to Settings, now scroll up / down to 'Network Settings' select Media Server connection. Once this has been done press triangle and change the option Disabled.
6) Delete all of the system's Internet cache. To do this scroll along the cross media bar until you reach the 'Network' tab, now scroll up / down the list until you reach the 'Internet Browser', highlight this and press X. Once you browser opens press the triangle button once, from the new menu highlight the 'Tools' option and press X. Scroll down the menu until you reach 'Delete Cookies' and press X. Confirm the files deletion. Repeat this for 'Delete Cache'.
7 ) Turn off the PS3 screen saver. Use the cross media bar to scroll to 'Settings', select 'Display Settings'. Now highlight 'Screensaver' and set this to 'Do not use'.
8 ) Once this has been done, manually restart you PS3 by holding down the power button for 5 seconds it will beep once and then shut down. Release the power button and re-press it and hold for about 5 seconds. The system will then boot and reset all display settings. You will be prompted to reset your display settings to how you require them.
9) Once restarted please try the game again, you will be prompted to reinstall.
Once the game has started please turn off the following features:
1) The game's auto-save. Press Start, Game, and locate the Auto-save option. Turn this off.
2) Turn off the game's flicker filter. Press Start, Display and locate the Flicker Filter option. Turn this off.
3) Turn off the controller vibration feature. Press Start, Controls and locate the vibration option. Turn this off.
If that doesn't solve the problem, Take-Two allows tech support users to reopen their cases within seven days.
As for Sony, earlier today, a representative with the company confirmed a 'freezing' issue with GTAIV on "a limited number of PS3s." He added that Sony has received "an extremely low volume" of complaint calls to its customer service line, and that it is working with all concerned parties to pin down and fix the issue.
Microsoft has not yet responded to GameSpot's inquiries on problems with the Xbox 360 edition of the game. GameSpot editors have yet to receive a response to a Take-Two tech support ticket filed for that version of the game.

[quote name='NamPaehc']Take2 offered this 12 step "fix". Didn't work for me, it made things worse for others, but for SOME it did help them. So I'll share but it is... well just look at it:[/QUOTE]

Man, they can take that 12 step fix and stuff it....you can consolidate all 12 down to "turn off system, take out game, wait for patch"

[quote name='bostonfrontier']Man, they can take that 12 step fix and stuff it....you can consolidate all 12 down to "turn off system, take out game, wait for patch"[/QUOTE]

/ open.translation Take wonderful dual shock 3 controller you purchased, turn it sideways. stick up ass. waste of money. / close.translation

I read the 360 GTZ IV thread and no one seems to be having problems with their copies......... ah, another reason to move over to the 360 version.... guess I'll be going to Best Buy tomorrow and exchanging my PS3 copy.

wow I just noticed the game defaults to 720 P even if you have 1080P set. You have to deactivate 720P & 1080i in order for it to display @ 1080p.
people say it looks sharper.

[quote name='bostonfrontier']I read the 360 GTZ IV thread and no one seems to be having problems with their copies......... ah, another reason to move over to the 360 version.... guess I'll be going to Best Buy tomorrow and exchanging my PS3 copy.[/quote]

The 360 is having issues too, just I guess not as many people are being effected. I know there are people from Neogaf who are getting 360 freezing. I wouldn't blame anyone for swapping over though. You'll get the 1st DLC there and hopefully less problems.

[quote name='bostonfrontier']I read the 360 GTZ IV thread and no one seems to be having problems with their copies......... ah, another reason to move over to the 360 version.... guess I'll be going to Best Buy tomorrow and exchanging my PS3 copy.[/quote]

Don't know about the thread on this board, but I know that 360 has been having freezing issues as well. I know when I bought my copy there was a guy coming in to return his 360 copy because it wouldn't work. So I would give it a little time.

Well, I told myself I wouldn't but I picked it up anyway (after renting it for like 45 minutes)
I haven't had any freezing issues either, just the PSN issues.

Has anyone experienced any artifacting/graphical errors in the Cabaret Club? I took Michelle there, but there were some weird textures/patterns on that Southern singer and Kleinman.. Anyone else experience that? It only seems to show up in the Cabaret Club...

I don't really mean to derail the thread, but I figured someone would be interested here.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Two huge posters, I forgot to take the measurements.

http://img100.imageshack.us/my.php?i...sc02717wi4.jpg
http://img205.imageshack.us/my.php?i...sc02718qo6.jpg

They are double-sided. Niko's poster has a small tear at the bottom right corner. Otherwise, they are in great condition.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I posted that in my tradelist, I also have some other GTA items there that someone might find of interest.

bread's done
Back