Grand Theft Auto IV - Gen. Discussion & Info (PS3) OUT NOW PS3 review score = 99.6%

Played for 4+ hours last night.
No freezes save for one that lasted 3 seconds and stopped my heart.

20gb updated to 120gb.

I also got an in-game invite from DJ Kuro I believe, but I was just about to turn it off. :(

Anyone else having problems with the social club? It took me a bunch of tries to link my PSN ID to the Social club and it still dosent think I have played GTA4.

I finally got GTA4 in-game to get online and check leaderboards today, finally, but can't get the social club to work. It still says I must play GTA4.

The community integration might take a little bit to get functioning.
It took Rockband a couple of months (or a 1 month) to sort that out.

I'm going to say that there are no differences between any of the 60GB units, and 20GB units.

I need to get my hands on some firearms soon. Knives and bats aren't going to cut it.

[quote name='dallow']I need to get my hands on some firearms soon. Knives and bats aren't going to cut it.[/quote]

Somebody gives you
a pistol in one of the early missions...Little Jacob, I think. And then Dimitri actually takes you shopping for a mini-SMG later on.

The "found weapons" are much more difficult to come by than in previous GTAs. So far I've only stumbled across a baseball bat and some molotovs. I need some free kevlar, goddammit!

Regarding guns ..

Once you really get into the big fights, you'll have more ammo than you can reasonably use.

Kevlar shows up at a number of missions midway, and Little Jakob sells it pretty cheap once you make friends.

When I was playing yesterday my game froze for like 20 seconds. I have an 80. I was pissed because I hadn't saved in a while, but the freeze wasn't permanent.

I had a momentary pause when I played yesterday, but the dialogue continued, so I don't think that can be considered a lock up.

[quote name='aznguyen316']damn freezing![/quote]

Heh yeah... I'm a prisoner in the 1st apartment, soon as I step on the streets it locks up on me.

[quote name='dallow']Apparently there's a
shotgun in the back of the strip club, I didn't see it though
[/quote]

It's actually
in the office of the strip club.

Currently stuck on the No Love Lost mission, where
you've got to chase Faustin's daughter's boyfriend on a motorcycle. I don't seem to be capable of driving and shooting at the same time. ;)

Had the same trouble, bmachine.

If you haven't completed it yet and would like an assist:

Just keep chasing him, don't bother shooting. They'll get to a fighting point ..

[quote name='bmachine']It's actually
in the office of the strip club.

Currently stuck on the No Love Lost mission, where
you've got to chase Faustin's daughter's boyfriend on a motorcycle. I don't seem to be capable of driving and shooting at the same time. ;)
[/quote]

You can actually just
follow the dude on the motorcycle till his friends show up. The biker gang will then all drive inside the park and stop there where you can pick them all off easily.

Had my first bug experience earlier while playing darts with Roman. After finishing my first turn, the game wouldn't advance to Roman's attempt. I wouldn't call it a freeze because the music kept playing and I was able to press start and go to the menu. I tried waiting it out but after five minutes I gave up and loaded up my last saved game.
It sucked balls too because I had to turn off the auto save feature because my brother and I are taking turns playing and having it on is a huge inconvenience in trying to keep two separate save files.

Edit: Ah a little bit late in the post heh.

[quote name='bostonfrontier']I think I'm going to go exchange my unopened PS3 copy and get the 360 copy...... I don't want to risk the game freezing on me.[/quote]

It has already been stated that the freezing is not isolated on the PS3 as it also occurs on the 360 as well.

[quote name='knightsdwn']It has already been stated that the freezing is not isolated on the PS3 as it also occurs on the 360 as well.[/QUOTE]

yeah, but it seems like it is more often on the PS3

I'm really enjoying the story so far.
I just killed Roman's boss. That was a good cutscene.

With all the new social activities, they've turned this game into Shemue, Niko even has the brown jacket to match.

My buddy made it up to the Cabaret Club last night, took Michelle to it, then Roman and soon after he shut off the system for the night.

But, before that, he and I took turns and we played for about 6 hours straight on it.

Sorry for the double post, but QUICK QUESTION for those having freezing problems. WHAT FIRMWARE ARE YOU USING ON YOUR PS3?

I ask because my buddies PS3 had to update from a new firmware that came on the disc (2.30 or something along those lines) before he played GTAIV.

Could the freezing issue be from a firmware corruption on the older systems, you think? Maybe that's another thing to try, since my friends' 40gb PS3 had NO ISSUES with freezing that we saw(although when he wento climb up on something he seemed 'stuck' for about 30 seconds).

Possible fix, you think?

I just got my GTA IV Special Ed. today!

This lockbox is pretty neat, and I love the lining of the duffel bag. :)
I'm going to start playing it in a bit and post impressions later on.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Sorry for the double post, but QUICK QUESTION for those having freezing problems. WHAT FIRMWARE ARE YOU USING ON YOUR PS3?

I ask because my buddies PS3 had to update from a new firmware that came on the disc (2.30 or something along those lines) before he played GTAIV.

Could the freezing issue be from a firmware corruption on the older systems, you think? Maybe that's another thing to try, since my friends' 40gb PS3 had NO ISSUES with freezing that we saw(although when he wento climb up on something he seemed 'stuck' for about 30 seconds).

Possible fix, you think?[/quote]

Don't believe so. It's such a random occurrence and I believe I've read people have taken out their new upgraded hard drives, put in the old 60 and it hasn't worked.

The lockbox is absolutely incredible, isn't it? I was originally thinking 'wtf, where's all of the stuff', since I thought they would've just packed SOME things in the lockbox. But, the package definitely screams QUALITY for $90.

Ahhh ok, H.Cornerstone, I just thought maybe it was an idea as to the possible problem.

But wait, if people put in their OLD HDD and it freezes, which firmware are they on? I still think it could be possible. But then it's also happening to copies on 360 too.

Wow. the freezing issues suck, I saw it almost happen during one of the first cinematics when i started the game, but mine chugged through and everything has been smooth like butter since. This game is great.

During the cellphone tutorial at the start of the game, I'm pretty sure it mentioned a shortcut to displaying your text messages. You're supposed to hit...some button...when the "new message" icon first pops up down by your HUD. Does anyone know what button it is? I can't figure it out and it's making me batty.

[quote name='freakyzeeky']I just got my GTA IV Special Ed. today! [/quote]

Wicked nice! We need to get some multiplayer going!

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']The lockbox is absolutely incredible, isn't it? [/quote]

Yeah, I think it's pretty spiffy. I have a non-gamer friend who was just in absolute awe of the lockbox...she kept saying, "This is REALLY nice!" while looking at it.

[quote name='Jewelz23']sorry to hear about all the freezing problems...

:( game is truly amazing regardless...hopefully it gets resolved soon.[/quote]

Mine hasn't froze or even looked like it was going to. I don't know what it is,but I can't get into gta. The gameplay was nice, and online was smooth. Overall I don't think it is that fun to me it isn't anyway.

Thanks all for the spoiler tags!

Appreciate it.

During the cellphone tutorial at the start of the game, I'm pretty sure it mentioned a shortcut to displaying your text messages. You're supposed to hit...some button...when the "new message" icon first pops up down by your HUD. Does anyone know what button it is? I can't figure it out and it's making me batty.
You just press X. That's what I do, takes you directly to the text.

I'm surprised they type out the whole message, I was expecting, "wer r u?" ect.

[quote name='bostonfrontier']yeah, but it seems like it is more often on the PS3[/quote]

Yeah on the 60GB PS3's. Hopefully a patch of some sort is released in the near future but I'm not holding my breath.

No freezing issues tonight at all.

Multiplayer has been working great for me as well.

What does it mean when you "level up" in multiplayer? What extra options does it give you?

And where the hell is the helicopter!?

I don't know where I was the the helicopter was present right when I spawned... I walked around the building and it was right there.. city is so beautiful at night.

[quote name='Nephlabobo']What does it mean when you "level up" in multiplayer? What extra options does it give you? [/quote]

I'm pretty sure it's connected to the amount of money you pick up/earn in multiplayer games. You get access to more customization options for your character. There's a quick explanation of it in the MP tutorial.

OK, is it just me or does anyone else hate the type they used for stuff like the cell phone and the internet pages?

I ask because even on an HDtv(37 inch size or better) on Tuesday night when my buddy was playing GTAIV, we could hardly read even HALF of the text on the page.

Oh and I did set up my PS3 on my small(20") SDtv and I'm in love. This system is pretty quiet, though the fan WAS on most of the time and the sheer volume of hot/warm air it was pumping out the back of the system was INSANE. It actually made the table I had it on warm to the touch.

I have it on the same fiberboard table I had my PS2 on and very well ventilated(lotsa room all around it), but why is it still pumping out so much warm air?

Ahhh well.....either way, I just love the system, though apparently there's no native wireless signal available anywhere around my house, so if I want to get on the net via it, I'm gonna need to string some cable in my house to get my dsl up to the system. I'd get a router or other device to make the dsl signal wireless, but I'm too cheap to spring for that sort of stuff, the cable seems the cheapest route.

dunno...I haven't gotten to internet stuff yet, but I can read the phone text fine on my 37"

Speaking of display though, I noticed on the back of the box it says it supports 720p up to 1080p, but I checked my tv's info and it says it's running at 720p? I noticed there were quite a bit of jaggies on the railing at the boardwalk when I went bowling for the first time...

Is there something I need to do to get it to run at 1080p? My ps3 is already set at 1080p display for the xmb and stuff...

[quote name='Nephlabobo']

Multiplayer has been working great for me as well.

What does it mean when you "level up" in multiplayer? What extra options does it give you?

[/quote]

If you do one of the online missions, you 'level up' and go up a rank, and when this happens you get new clothes and whatnot. The online missions are pretty neat! :)

I have not had any freezing issues on my 40 gig PS3 and the fan was pretty loud.. the only other time it did that was when I was folding@home. Anyone else have this problem?

[quote name='Sinistar']I have not had any freezing issues on my 40 gig PS3 and the fan was pretty loud.. the only other time it did that was when I was folding@home. Anyone else have this problem?[/quote]

I noticed that the fan was pretty loud when I was playing GTA IV compared with when I was setting the system up. I don't know if it does this on every game, but it was very loud.

the fan gets loud anytime it gets graphically intensive. It does that for all my games. When i'm in the xmb though i barely notice it.

I've played a few hours of gta4 on my close to launch 60gb (jan 2007) with 0 problems.

Well... Rumor has it a patch might be out soon to fix the freezing issues. These were posted by a "noob" on the N4G forums so I am very skeptical. Why hasn't R* mentioned it? Anyway, here are the posts just to share.

Basically he says a patch will be completed by tomorrow at 12:00 GMT, and has no idea when it will be offered on the online networks. This first post, he says, was incorrect and the patch won't be out tomorrow- it will just be done by then if everything goes as planned.

Mike Richards here from R*. Be alert around 12:00 GMT tomorrow for a patch for both the 360 and ps3 versions of GTA IV - we've been working 'round the clock to fix this issue, and seem to have found the problem. For those of you who care, we render the screen in the backbuffer and then flip it onto the front buffer. During those freezes, the code hits a glitch and stops flipping - the reason some of you manage to only have freezes for a few seconds while the sound still runs.

This isn't an official announcement, so the patch time is subject to change. It shouldn't, but if it does don't shoot me!

And I see you guys went through the trouble to create a special GTA IV section on the forums. Very nice.

P.S - Good luck with those last few missions for those of you who get there soon ;)
Indeed indeed. I visit this site on a regular basis to see what gamers think, but I don't have the time to bother with the social aspects of it.

That said, I know that this site is a culmination of news from other sites, and I figured it'd be nice for you guys to get the news first for a change.

I don't fully expect you to believe me now, and I see the validity of your skepticism. You should know tomorrow that my posting is valid.
quote:

ORIGINAL: Satanas
If that's what you say then I shall indeed wait until tomorrow to confirm your posting. I don't like to be too judgmental so I'm not going to make any assumptions right now.
I appreciate your open minded attitude. I've got to delve back in to my work now, so I'll leave it at this. No point trying to convince anybody without any proof, right?

Have fun you guys.
I wasn't planning on coming back up here, but some things have changed.

I'm not with the main group working on the patch. They only needed me to fill in some blanks about the section I helped code. This lead to a misunderstanding on my part.

The patch deadline is 12:00 tomorrow - the date it will be uploaded to the servers is unkown. My supervisor says sometime this week most definitely. It could be tomorrow still, but it's not in our hands any more after we get it finished.

As for the pc version of GTA IV SerratedDrums.....well I've got to get back to work. Can't say on what though
s4.gif

My apologies. I jumped the gun - live and learn, right?

At least you can look forward to the patch soon, as it IS going to be this week - probably in a couple of days.

[quote name='NamPaehc']Well... Rumor has it a patch might be out soon to fix the freezing issues. These were posted by a "noob" on the N4G forums so I am very skeptical. Why hasn't R* mentioned it? Anyway, here are the posts just to share.

Basically he says a patch will be completed by tomorrow at 12:00 GMT, and has no idea when it will be offered on the online networks. This first post, he says, was incorrect and the patch won't be out tomorrow- it will just be done by then if everything goes as planned.[/quote]

hmmm... i want to believe its true, but i highly doubt it is.

Quick question, is there anyway to enable a bluetooth headset once you are in a multiplayer game? A friend and I were playing Resistance and our headsets were working fine, then we quit the game put in GTA 4 and we kept getting a message that we couldn't call each other because our headsets weren't connected. After looking and looking we couldn't find any option we had to quit the game and go enable our headsets from the PS3's main menu. Surely there is a way to do it in game right?

Rockstar Support: Fix for GTA IV Could Be Any Minute or in Days

After waiting two days for a word, any word from Rockstar about the problems plaguing some Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 owners trying to play Grand Theft Auto IV, I returned to the phone this morning to give tech support another call and see how things are on their end.

This time through I talked to a person who walked me through a much longer list of things I should check to make sure it wasn't effecting my gameplay:

Did my harddrive have enough space?
Do I have the latest firmware?
Is my screen saver turned off?
Is vibration turned off?
Are my video settings turned to 720?
Is Autosave off?

If none of those work, I was told, than I need to call back later to tech support to see if they've come up with a solution. The person I spoke with said they haven't heard a thing about a patch coming, but that the problem has been bumped up to their "second level" and a "fix" could arrive in a matter of minutes or three to four days. This elite team is "working around the clock" on a solution, I was told.

"It's like the cure for cancer, people have been working on that for 40 years."

Unlike Rockstar's rapid response to the problems that plagued Bully for the Xbox 360, their reticence to address the issues arising with Grand Theft Auto IV leaves everyone wondering how many people it effects and how serious it is or isn't. Perhaps it's only a small, vocal portion of those who bought the game, perhaps it's much more, but without Rockstar's direct input we have no way of knowing.

[quote name='NamPaehc']Rockstar Support: Fix for GTA IV Could Be Any Minute or in Days
[/QUOTE]

That article is ridiculous, at least the last part.

Unlike Rockstar's rapid response to the problems that plagued Bully for the Xbox 360, their reticence to address the issues arising with Grand Theft Auto IV leaves everyone wondering how many people it effects and how serious it is or isn't. Perhaps it's only a small, vocal portion of those who bought the game, perhaps it's much more, but without Rockstar's direct input we have no way of knowing.

Rapid response? It's only been two days, damn.

Good games yesterday smiggity,freeky,bornrunnin,and everyone else. I liked the part where we all jumped out of the helicopter.Great fun!

bread's done
Back