Grand Theft Auto IV - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='Kaijufan']$50 million to Microsoft's game division that has lost money nearly every quarter since the first Xbox came out is a lot of money. [/QUOTE]

$50 million to Microsoft, the company who's 2007's third quarter net income was $4.93 billion and has a rumored 40 billion dollar war chest.

[quote name='Kaijufan']$50 million to Microsoft's game division that has lost money nearly every quarter since the first Xbox came out is a lot of money.
Honestly I would have thought that $50 million would be enough to get Rockstar to make GTA4 exclusive to the 360, not just the DLC. However, I'm getting the feeling that since they are spending so much money that these expansions are going to be big, most likely PC style expansion packs instead of the small content packs we usually see on the XBL Marketplace.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, for that kind of coin, the DLC could be spectacular. It could be literally a whole extra game, sort of like the PSP Liberty City Stories was a new game using the already existing city.

[quote name='Sporadic']$50 million to Microsoft, the company who's 2007's third quarter net income was $4.93 billion and has a rumored 40 billion dollar war chest.[/quote]
Microsoft's game division doesn't have access to all that money.
In fact, if you read the book called the Xbox 360 Uncloaked you'll know that. To get an exclusive deal with Epic they had to throw out a deal with Valve because they didn't have enough money for both.

[quote name='Kaijufan']
In fact, if you read the book called the Xbox 360 Uncloaked you'll know that. To get an exclusive deal with Epic they had to throw out a deal with Valve because they didn't have enough money for both.[/QUOTE]

That's not the whole story. One of the main reasons Fries didn't go ahead with Valve is because Newell felt Microsoft should pony up the cost for the title, but only settle for a small amount of the return and allow Valve to retain all rights over said title as per the standard deals with Valve.

Back to the topic on the GTA content. The author pulled this $50 million price point out of thin air (Or more specifically, another GTA fansite). I'd imagine Microsoft isn't paying one red cent directly for this content. I'm sure there was some crazy deal cooked up when Microsoft agreed to help release Table Tennis.

Confirmation of the exclusive content only on X360 and L.A. Noire's possible launch on both PS3 and X360.

A Take-Two spokesperson has confirmed to GamesIndustry.biz that the episodic content planned for Grand Theft Auto IV will be exclusively released for the Xbox 360.
Talk of an exclusive deal began following the release of Take-Two's Q2 financial report on Tuesday. The report stated that the episodic content would be released on 360 during the 2008 fiscal year - with no mention of PlayStation 3.
Now a company representative has told GI.biz, "The Grand Theft Auto IV episodic content is exclusive to Xbox 360."
The financial report also stated that fellow Take-Two title LA Noire is due out in fiscal 2008. The spokesperson suggested that both Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 releases are likely, stating, "LA Noire is being developed for next-generation systems."
GTA IV will launch on both consoles on October 19.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=25852

Take-Two has officially confirmed that the additional episode content for Grand Theft Auto IV will be an XBOX360 exclusive. Sorry PS3 owners, but it seems Sony and Rockstar could not come to terms. The exclusivity deal was hinted at in a recent financial report, and it was confirmed to GI within the last 24 hours. MS scores another one, Sony really dropped the ball on this one.
http://gamersreports.com/news/5873/gta-iv-episodic-content-exclusive-to-360-take-two-confirms/

Well hopefully they didn't pay 50 mil for a couple of bits of DLC, considering that you could probably fund 2 maybe 3 AAA games for that price. It's not entirely inconceivable but I smell some BS.

For M$ it's probably not about the money, it's about a new giant to slay. After Apple, IBM, Sun etc, Sony's the next goliath.

[quote name='fathamburger']Well hopefully they didn't pay 50 mil for a couple of bits of DLC, considering that you could probably fund 2 maybe 3 AAA games for that price.
[/QUOTE]

Maybe, but would those 2-3 AAA titles guarantee console sales? Live subscription sales? DLC sales which leads to other marketplace sales? It's easy to just look at the exclusive content sales and ignore the rest, but when you factor in the other three angles, it appears MS made the right move.

$50 mil sounds like a lot, but in the scope of the console war it is a drop in the bucket. They will make this back no problem.

Put in perspective, Sony only needs to sell 500,000 PS3s to lose $50 million, assuming a (conservative, really) loss of $100 per console sold.

While I personally won't be getting it, this special edition set seems a far better value than the halo one. Call it gimmicky, but it's a cool tie in to add themed, branded items to the special edition. OSTs normally run around 20 bucks or more, so the price really doesn't seem too inflated for fans that are into these kind of things.

Eh. GTA is a great game and all, but with such a big year in games coming up, im staying away from these "legendary" editions of games.

they'll make some money on them, and get free press from having a "story-worthy" limited edition that stands out from the pack in terms of how games are usually packaged.

Special Deposit Box (Collectors Edition) revealed

MSRP: $90

So who's all getting it? I got about $80 in credit at GS, might have to put it towards it, I'm a sucker for useless CE stuff.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Special Deposit Box (Collectors Edition) revealed

MSRP: $90

So who's all getting it? I got about $80 in credit at GS, might have to put it towards it, I'm a sucker for useless CE stuff.
[/QUOTE]

I need a new gym bag. I will definitely be getting this.

[quote name='mykevermin']Ditto. If you're buying the 360 version, save your ducats to put towards that DLC.

Halo 2, IMO, killed the idea of Limited Editions.

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/38830[/quote]

I'm not planning on purchasing any dlc for this game. Maybe I'll change my mind next year, but we'll see.

"Let's put it this way: There are approximately twice as many Scoop The Pelican Beanie Babies on the planet Earth than there are actual pelicans. And they're worth more, too." :D

The weighing the future costs of the 360 DLC is a good point. One I'm going to consider.

In the meantime, has anyone else tried to preorder the 360 SE of this game from Amazon? It's just not there at all, even if all three other versions of this game are. Did they already 'sell out' what they've been promised for at least their initial shipment of this particular SKU? I probably would've preordered it by now, what with no tax and having Prime, but the longer I have to wait for that opportunity, the more likely I'll just go with the standard edition at retail.

The soundtrack CD alone adds arguably $10-$15 of value, in my opinion, but then again, I have to assume that they'll have a much more comprehensive box set, a la the previous two games. The San Andreas CD box set for $50 was a very good deal, although that was the early '90s, a time when rock still, you know, rocked, "emo" meant My Bloody Valentine, and hip-hop actually tried to say something.

The nice thing about this SE is that at least a couple of the items (duffel bag, CD) have 'real world' applications, and the lock box can even be used for storing...whatever. I would've happily traded a couple of the items in for a decent-looking GTA IV (XL presumably, i.e. The Closest We Can Get To 'One Size Fits All') t-shirt. I don't think it's particularly dorky to don this gaming logo in public.

Any rumors/predictions on what the dlc will be? New autos, new weapons, new outifts? I'm not sure how much bigger they want to go, world-wise, so I'm betting against new "maps". Maybe new missions.

Not as bad as I thought it would be, in fact seems pretty cool. If the gameplay gets the overhaul it needs and the save system is fixed I may buy...maybe.

[quote name='shieryda']Any rumors/predictions on what the dlc will be? New autos, new weapons, new outifts? I'm not sure how much bigger they want to go, world-wise, so I'm betting against new "maps". Maybe new missions.[/quote]

Episodic = Episodes so I'm assuming new missions...what other goodies they'll include is a guess at this point.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Episodic = Episodes so I'm assuming new missions...what other goodies they'll include is a guess at this point.[/quote]

They should have an unlockable Burger King costume.:D

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Episodic = Episodes so I'm assuming new missions...what other goodies they'll include is a guess at this point.[/QUOTE]

I could see new missions - something close to the scope of a LCS/VCS, but without that many new characters, vehicles, or music.

Anything less than a new "chapter" (for lack of a better phrase) of the game would infuriate me if I were (a) Microsoft or (b) a gamer who bought the 360 version strictly for the expectation of amazing DLC.

This new character, Niko, is Russian, right? Maybe the new content will have him fly a jet back to his home country and take out some crime bosses there.

Nevermind. I just realized that there will be "no planes" in this game...

[quote name='shieryda']This new character, Niko, is Russian, right? Maybe the new content will have him fly a jet back to his home country and take out some crime bosses there.

Nevermind. I just realized that there will be "no planes" in this game...[/quote]

It could still happen, have the flying as a cutscene with him in the jet and then have us kicking ass in his home country.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']It could still happen, have the flying as a cutscene with him in the jet and then have us kicking ass in his home country.[/quote]

That might be kinda cool. He could be screaming and cursing at the baddies in his native language, with subtitles at the bottom of the screen. Car chase scenes around the Kremlin would be cool, too.

[quote name='shieryda']That might be kinda cool. He could be screaming and cursing at the baddies in his native language, with subtitles at the bottom of the screen. Car chase scenes around the Kremlin would be cool, too.[/QUOTE]
They'd probably save that for another GTA. It would be too good to be true for them to do that...not to mention the stuff you'd have to download would probably take forever.

Second GTA IV Trailer Coming

On Thursday, June 28 at 10 A.M Pacific Time, download Rockstar Games' new Grand Theft Auto IV trailer, "Looking For That Special Someone," on Xbox.com and in high definition on Xbox LIVE® Marketplace and, of course, rockstargames.com/IV.
This is the second trailer for the highly anticipated title slated to release on October 16 in North America and October 19 in Europe on Xbox 360™. The first trailer, released in March, whetted the appetites of millions of gamers worldwide with the first peek at the epic title from Rockstar Games. The Grand Theft Auto IV trailer was one of the most downloaded trailers to date on Xbox LIVE Marketplace.
To celebrate the release of the second trailer, you can also download exclusive Grand Theft Auto IV theme and gamer pics from Marketplace.
Grand Theft Auto IV is the next chapter of the award winning Grand Theft Auto franchise from Rockstar Games, and will feature episodic content through Xbox LIVE exclusive to Xbox 360.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/community/news/2007/0627-gta4trailer.htm

Is it me or is the way this is worded indicate that we get free pics and themes?

From the title of the trailer, my guess is that it will cover multiplayer aspects of the game or at least community aspects built into the game. "That special someone" could also just mean what it means.

Very nice. I like free. :D

Now on a side note. How long until some waste of oxygen goes on a killing spree and is found with that duffle bag?

Here's the pics for those of you who can't access your X360 at the moment like me:
gta4_pack6.jpg

Taken from Teamxbox.com

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Here's the pics for those of you who can't access your X360 at the moment like me:
gta4_pack6.jpg

Taken from Teamxbox.com[/quote]

The theme was free, but are the pic packs free?

[quote name='shieryda']The theme was free, but are the pic packs free?[/QUOTE]

Yes. Both are free. Atleast this morning when I downloaded them.

bread's done
Back