Grand Theft Auto IV - Gen. Discussion & Info

I hope I like this one. I've never been able to get into a GTA game. The save system sucks, the gameplay was mediocre and the story was well...terrible. The only thing I ever found interesting was the free roaming aspect and thats been copied a million times by other games.

[quote name='whoknows']I hope I like this one. I've never been able to get into a GTA game. The save system sucks, the gameplay was mediocre and the story was well...terrible. The only thing I ever found interesting was the free roaming aspect and thats been copied a million times by other games.[/QUOTE]

to be honest, the story only gets good when you allow yourself to be immersed in the insanity of the atmosphere. Also the crossovers of multiple elements (characters, ads, radio) throughout each game extended life beyond the game itself.

[quote name='Nelo Ice']:applause:trailer was sickkk...and i already pre ordered this..for 42 bucks :cool:[/quote]

:hot: Where from?

I hope I like this one. I've never been able to get into a GTA game. The save system sucks, the gameplay was mediocre and the story was well...terrible. The only thing I ever found interesting was the free roaming aspect and thats been copied a million times by other games.

These types of games are not for everyone. I have a friend who may be interested in getting IV, and he's never really been a GTA fan. I have a feeling that this game is going to win over more than a few new fans.

[quote name='shieryda']
These types of games are not for everyone. I have a friend who may be interested in getting IV, and he's never really been a GTA fan. I have a feeling that this game is going to win over more than a few new fans.[/QUOTE]
The thing is, I liked True Crime: NYC since well...the gameplay was superior to GTA in every way, it had a passable story, and most importantly, THE SAVE SYSTEM.

No longer would I have to drive halfway across the map to save, no. I could pull up the start menu and save. Hell, I could even save and start at the beginning of a mission.

Not to mention when you failed a mission in that game you did not have to go reaccept it. You could just push...omg get this....RETRY!

GTA could learn a few things from that game. If they overhaul the gameplay to make it at least as good as NYC's and fix the save system, then I may bite.

[quote name='whoknows']The thing is, I liked True Crime: NYC since well...the gameplay was superior to GTA in every way, it had a passable story, and most importantly, THE SAVE SYSTEM.

No longer would I have to drive halfway across the map to save, no. I could pull up the start menu and save. Hell, I could even save and start at the beginning of a mission.

Not to mention when you failed a mission in that game you did not have to go reaccept it. You could just push...omg get this....RETRY!

GTA could learn a few things from that game. If they overhaul the gameplay to make it at least as good as NYC's and fix the save system, then I may bite.[/quote]

"Bully" is like that, too. It does suck to have to drive all the way across the map to start the mission over again. I do prefer the games that let you save anywhere, but I've always loved GTA, so I put up with these "shortcomings".

[quote name='Nelo Ice']:applause:trailer was sickkk...and i already pre ordered this..for 42 bucks :cool:[/QUOTE]
Yes it was. I already preordered it from Liongames as well, and I don't even have a 360 yet. I have a feeling I'd better get one soon if I want to play Saints Row and not find it lacking. :lol:

[quote name='Danimal']Yes it was. I already preordered it from Liongames as well, and I don't even have a 360 yet. I have a feeling I'd better get one soon if I want to play Saints Row and not find it lacking. :lol:[/quote]
same though i got a premium 360 a few days ago...though i may have to return it if i can snag an elite at BB....MAYBE :lol:

I like how the guy jumps the same just as all of the other guys in the GTA games. like he's jumping hurdles and shit.

game looks great though. hopefully in-game footage will look just as good?

[quote name='Cyb3-rr']I hate games that allow you to save whenever you wish. That takes out so much of the challenge.[/QUOTE]
Oh yeah...because it takes so much challenge when you're forced to waste 10mins driving across the map to save.

I could see the challenge if you suddenly have to go somewhere but you just beat a mission. OMG gotta drive across the map to save as fast as possible!! That's some challenge right there.

I will give you the benefit of the doubt however and assume you are talking about a game on the PC where you can just hit F6 or whatever and do a quick save.

saving anywhere is like if in real life you could wake up every morning wherever you wanted. I like having places to stay. Then again, I was one of the few that liked Dead Rising's save system and saw that it added to the game.

[quote name='tiredfornow']I like how the guy jumps the same just as all of the other guys in the GTA games. like he's jumping hurdles and shit.

game looks great though. hopefully in-game footage will look just as good?[/quote]
As far as I remember, Rockstar has always used in-game footage for ALL of their GTA trailers (just take a look at the vice city trailers).

Also, I preordered the collector's edition (I actually plan to use the things that come with it) today at gamestop. For some reason you have to put down $10 on collector's editions?

[quote name='tiredfornow']I like how the guy jumps the same just as all of the other guys in the GTA games. like he's jumping hurdles and shit.

game looks great though. hopefully in-game footage will look just as good?[/quote]

You don't think its ingame?

Wow, it isnt that good looking.

I thought the graphics were OK.

[quote name='whoknows']I hope I like this one. I've never been able to get into a GTA game. The save system sucks, the gameplay was mediocre and the story was well...terrible. The only thing I ever found interesting was the free roaming aspect and thats been copied a million times by other games.[/QUOTE]

I'm kinda in the same boat. While I definitely appreciate some of the impact that the series has had on the industry, I have never really had much fun playing the Grand Theft Auto titles. My biggest gripes about the series are the lackluster gameplay (at least the shooting aspect was rectified in San Andreas), and like you mentioned the mundane, almost senseless driving halfway across the city to save/accept a mission.

Did anybody else notice the guy kicking another guy on the basketball court? Just two little background pedestrians beating on each other. I love that stuff in the GTA games.

It's right after the part in the trailer when Nico says "Fine, you guys want my word? You got my word.", then he throws a punch and it goes into a shot of him walking and the background keeps changing behind him. The very first background of that little montage has the basketball court with the guy getting kicked. Don't blink or you'll miss it.

Sorry if this kind of stuff has already been dissected ad nauseam elsewhere; I just missed it last night and got a kick out of spotting it this morning.

[quote name='Danimal']Did anybody else notice the guy kicking another guy on the basketball court? Just two little background pedestrians beating on each other. I love that stuff in the GTA games.

It's right after the part in the trailer when Nico says "Fine, you guys want my word? You got my word.", then he throws a punch and it goes into a shot of him walking and the background keeps changing behind him. The very first background of that little montage has the basketball court with the guy getting kicked. Don't blink or you'll miss it.

Sorry if this kind of stuff has already been dissected ad nauseam elsewhere; I just missed it last night and got a kick out of spotting it this morning.[/quote]

I liked the line "No more killing!" in the trailer, too.

One thing I noticed is a few scenes of Nikko hanging off of vehicles (notably the helicopter and semi trailer); I wonder if this is going to be a new tactic where people will attempt to drive away instead of just stopping and letting you punch them in the face.

Other things I found interesting were:
- The camera on the SWAT scene, it looked a LOT like the camera on Gears (almost bouncy).
- The toll booth let him through, I'm wondering if this will be used in a cut-scene or if this is a mechanic to add depth
- The bullet effect on the windshield looks cool, I'm wondering if there will be location damage on objects instead of just adding a new textures.
- Helicopters and bikes, two of my favorite vehicles are there.
- Lastly, the scene of Nikko sneaking up to the corner where the cop car looks awesome and makes me wonder if there is a new camera system that's being worked on.

There's a good chance that we won't know dick until the game is almost released (like Rockstar has done in the past with the other GTA games), but what I'm seeing makes October 16th seem 15 years away.

[quote name='CrimsonPaw']
There's a good chance that we won't know dick until the game is almost released (like Rockstar has done in the past with the other GTA games), but what I'm seeing makes October 16th seem 15 years away.[/QUOTE]

I agree, I checked out the HD video on my 360 last night. I CANNOT wait. I bought a PS2 just to play Vice City when it was released, and thankfully I don't need to buy a PS3 to play this game. :)

[quote name='shieryda']I liked the line "No more killing!" in the trailer, too.[/quote]

Best part is that while the woman says that, behind her is a sign for an attraction called "The Corpse Ride" :D

[quote name='Danil ACE']Best part is that while the woman says that, behind her is a sign for an attraction called "The Corpse Ride" :D[/quote]

I'm thinking that the woman who says that line may be a love interest of Niko's...(i.e. - "that special someone").

wow.... new info

[quote name='www.thegtaplace.com']
* Times Square is called "Star Junction"

* Few people were on the streets in the demo that Games™ played (this could be attributed to early code)

* Niko can use his cell phone to call for weapons - Games™ say that Niko calls his associate Little Jacob, a Caribbean arms dealer, the conversation ends with Jacob telling Niko to meet him in an alleyway in Rotterdam Hill

* The player can call a taxi cab to go to a destination and view the ride in first-person or use trip-skip to speed the experience along

* On one mission, Niko must retrieve a memory stick with sensitive data on it from a person identified as McReary. The problem is that McReary is standing with a group of people and Niko doesn't know who he is, so he takes out his cell phone and calls McReary. When the now-revealed target pulls out his cell phone, Niko walks up and puts a bullet in his head.

* Missions can supposedly be "interrupted." This suggests that multiple missions can be done at the same time and that some will span several days

* Niko received a call in the demo, which concerned a "shady lawyer" by the name of Goldberg, of Goldberg, Ligner & Shyster. On this mission, Niko must upload his resume to Goldberg, Ligner & Shyster's website, get an interview, and kill Goldberg. In this mission, Niko purchased a $2000 suit from a clothing store called "Perseus," then ventured to the law firm and talked to the secretary over the intercom, before being let in. Niko then went to see Goldberg and promptly killed him. This caused the secretary to trigger the alarm and Niko to receive a 3-star wanted level.

* The "TW@" internet café from GTA3 is present but this time you can surf the web (which is "huge" and "very important," according to Rockstar)

* Any crime committed will give you a wanted level

* The star rating will create a visible search area on the radar, which, if escaped, will dissipate the wanted level

* The police radio returns and you can hear the police talking about where you were last spotted as in previous games, only this time, the police will know exactly where you are at because every street is named

* There is a clothing store called "Perseus" where suits can be purchased

* The draw distance is "unreal"[/quote]

I think the internet thing is going to be huge as it will expand the virtual world of gta... the GTA ads and icons will probably have respective websites much like the older games had real websites except this time it's in-game.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']wow.... new info

I think the internet thing is going to be huge as it will expand the virtual world of gta... the GTA ads and icons will probably have respective websites much like the older games had real websites except this time it's in-game.[/QUOTE]

What are your guys thoughts on Running Red Lights in GTA? Do you think they should leave them as is and basically not really be a crime or do you think they should take the Driver Approach and make them a crime?

[quote name='pimpinc333']What are your guys thoughts on Running Red Lights in GTA? Do you think they should leave them as is and basically not really be a crime or do you think they should take the Driver Approach and make them a crime?[/QUOTE]

I've always thought that basic minor driving offenses should be left out. Especially this late in the GTA stage. I have gotten used to speeding and running red lights and all that good stuff. And for them to change that now would really be a major gameplay change in my book.

I do recall though the scene in the trailer where the cops are tailing him and he is looking in the mirror. So a possibility. But the way cops are all over the place in GTA games it would be hard to follow the basic rules.

The only way I could see this working is if they toned down the amount of cops on patrol. So that way every time you ran a red light you weren't getting busted. And it would be Giving you more of a feeling of what it is like when a cop is driving behind you in real life.

[quote name='mr ryles']I've always thought that basic minor driving offenses should be left out. Especially this late in the GTA stage. I have gotten used to speeding and running red lights and all that good stuff. And for them to change that now would really be a major gameplay change in my book.[/QUOTE]
Totally agree. When you're just screwing around, not doing missions but just driving around listening to the radio, looking for something to do, I think it would really detract from the freedom (and therefore the fun) if you had to obey traffic signals and sit at red lights.

* The "TW@" internet café from GTA3 is present but this time you can surf the web (which is "huge" and "very important," according to Rockstar)

:rofl:

[quote name='mr ryles']I've always thought that basic minor driving offenses should be left out. Especially this late in the GTA stage. I have gotten used to speeding and running red lights and all that good stuff. And for them to change that now would really be a major gameplay change in my book.

I do recall though the scene in the trailer where the cops are tailing him and he is looking in the mirror. So a possibility. But the way cops are all over the place in GTA games it would be hard to follow the basic rules.

The only way I could see this working is if they toned down the amount of cops on patrol. So that way every time you ran a red light you weren't getting busted. And it would be Giving you more of a feeling of what it is like when a cop is driving behind you in real life.[/QUOTE]

Well what about a Speedometer on the cars? Following Speed limits? Also breaking minor laws won't have the police in a frenzy trying to kill you. I think it would be neat for them to pull you over and write up a ticket.

[quote name='Brak']:rofl:[/quote]

Shit. I finally just got that myself.:D

Well what about a Speedometer on the cars? Following Speed limits? Also breaking minor laws won't have the police in a frenzy trying to kill you. I think it would be neat for them to pull you over and write up a ticket.

That would definitely be something I'd be interested to see implemented. Rather than wanted stars, you could just be fined.

Here's more info, some's been heard some has not:

- In GTA IV Time Square will be called in “star Junction”
- You can buy weapons using a cellular phone
- The police radioing for help feature returns
- Each criminal offense drives the Wanted level up. As soon as you reach several stars, The other player can locate you on the radar and deliver some serious fireworks on ya.
- Rockstar is designing GTAIV as a seamless HD Experience
-The driving mode has been altered given the cars addition weight( and a more realistic feel) (PLASTIC CARS UNCONFIRMED)
- The city Skylines are breath taking
-There are no pauses for Loading when entering an interior location
-Nikos facial expressions fits the actions perfectly.
-The use of cover and an overhaul system makes battles very fierce.
-The liberty city waterways plays a significant role in the game
- The atmosphere and noise of firefights is scarily reminiscent of GEARS OF WAR
More details in magazine scans.
- GTA4 has its own internet in the game and its going to be very important, and Niko uploaded his cv using it to someone hes hired to kill so he cud get a interview for a job, then he go’s to the interview and kills his mark.
-Theres this new way of shaking the cops to do with a circle thing, when u get out of the circle u lose em and u can be smart like go down a street when ppl can’t see you and knick another car and drive straight past the cops and they won’t notice you, more realistic stuff, sounds cool, the gun mechanics are apparently a lot like gears of War.
For this and images click here: http://gamers-creed.com/?p=373

[quote name='shieryda']Maybe using the left trigger or a bumper? That would be cool.[/quote]
If they did cover like Rainbow 6: Vegas then this game would be OFF THE HOOK!!!!!

bread's done
Back