Grand Theft Auto IV - Gen. Discussion & Info

I guess my main complaint is that you see so many games get panned for "fetch" missions, but this game which got 9's and 10's literally starts off with nothing but fetch missions.

[quote name='schuerm26']I guess my main complaint is that you see so many games get panned for "fetch" missions, but this game which got 9's and 10's literally starts off with nothing but fetch missions.[/QUOTE]

Some people really like the game, but others (like me) regard it as one of the most overrated games in history.

I quit playing after about 4 hrs, then got Saint's Row 2 when that came out and loved that.

GTA really hasn't done it for me since GTA 3 for some reason.

I loved 3, VC was ok, and SA was entirely too much to the point where it turned me away from it.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']I quit playing after about 4 hrs, then got Saint's Row 2 when that came out and loved that.

GTA really hasn't done it for me since GTA 3 for some reason.

I loved 3, VC was ok, and SA was entirely too much to the point where it turned me away from it.[/QUOTE]

Took the words right out of my mouth. Hated GTA4, loved SR2.

[quote name='tcrash247']Took the words right out of my mouth. Hated GTA4, loved SR2.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Saints Row > Grand Theft Auto.

[quote name='schuerm26']I could find an original GTA thread but I decided not to. I probably have been playing for about 2 hours now and I have literally done nothing but drive around and play a couple minigames (Bowling and Pool). Not including the tutorial couple of fights.

When does the actual fighting and shooting start? To top it off I don't even think the driving around is as fun as it used to be during the PS2 years.

Thoughts?

Am I the only one who thinks the start literally sucks a--?[/QUOTE]

I liked it, but not nearly as much as San Andreas or Vice City. Pick up one of those games, or Saint's Row/Saint's Row 2. The story for GTAIV is great, but the mission variety blows.

Have to echo others. I loved GTA3, Vice City, & San Andreas but couldn't get into IV at all. If you're like us give Saint's Row a try. Those two games are hilarious fun.

I liked the game and put over 50 hours in (a rarity for me) still need to finish it up.

This game starts out slow. I'd say you you probably play for 5 hours or so before the world really opens up.

So, I'd say stick with it, at least for 5 hours, and the action definitely ramps up.

So I've been trying to find my last pigeon on this game and I started working my way through a different guide than the one I used in the past. The author mentioned there are 2 different in-game pigeon maps, but I only know of the one you can access in the internet cafe. Does anyone know where the other map is, and is there any chance it only displays the pigeons you have not already murdered?

[quote name='freshzen']So I've been trying to find my last pigeon on this game and I started working my way through a different guide than the one I used in the past. The author mentioned there are 2 different in-game pigeon maps, but I only know of the one you can access in the internet cafe. Does anyone know where the other map is, and is there any chance it only displays the pigeons you have not already murdered?[/QUOTE]

Just use this IGN one, it shows in game pics of the birds, and where they are on the map. So it will be easy to tell if you got each one. :bouncy:

[quote name='The 7th Number']Just use this IGN one, it shows in game pics of the birds, and where they are on the map. So it will be easy to tell if you got each one. :bouncy:[/QUOTE]
I might the IGN guide if I don't find the damn pigeon after I go through 101-200 on this Supercheats guide. I used the Gamesradar one in the past, they're both ok. The reason why I screwed this up in the first place was because I had shot like 10-15 of them randomly just driving by and noticing one...I wasn't sure which ones I had already killed so some of the locations I just skipped because I thought I already had the pigeon.

So are you not allowed to play BOGT/TLAD offline?

I have both games installed on my HDD, but everytime i try to load them it wont load, or wont read my save files.

Major Bump.

Need some music advice from anyone who use to (or still does) play this regularly. I'm trying to find a radio station like Radio Broker on XM/Sirius...does it exist? I've listened to alt nation here and there, but it's a little too mellow for me (Octane FTW).

Just to put it into perspective, this is coming from someone who lives in southwest virginia where the country stations are everywhere...and not much other selection. Feel free to suggest some other records too if they fit the category.

[quote name='xtreme_Zr2']Major Bump.

Need some music advice from anyone who use to (or still does) play this regularly. I'm trying to find a radio station like Radio Broker on XM/Sirius...does it exist? I've listened to alt nation here and there, but it's a little too mellow for me (Octane FTW).

Just to put it into perspective, this is coming from someone who lives in southwest virginia where the country stations are everywhere...and not much other selection. Feel free to suggest some other records too if they fit the category.[/QUOTE]

I'm not really familiar with those bands myself (heavy listener of the boneyard / hair nation with some of the other rock stations here and there to mix things up), but looking at that list, I recall seeing LCD Soundsystem, Black Keys and I think Spinnerette on Sirium XMU, so maybe try there?

[quote name='xtreme_Zr2']
Just to put it into perspective, this is coming from someone who lives in southwest virginia where the country stations are everywhere...and not much other selection. Feel free to suggest some other records too if they fit the category.[/QUOTE]

Oh shit a hokie (or a highlander)!

[quote name='xtreme_Zr2']Major Bump.

Just to put it into perspective, this is coming from someone who lives in southwest virginia where the country stations are everywhere...and not much other selection. Feel free to suggest some other records too if they fit the category.[/QUOTE]Not an FM94 fan, huh?

[quote name='Halo05']Oh shit a hokie (or a highlander)![/QUOTE]Southwestern Virginia just barely starts at Blacksburg. Maybe Roanoke, but I think Roanoke is too civilized to be included in SWVA.

JStryke, I don't know how I missed that station before, I figured alt nation was it..Thanks! I listened to it a little on the way to work today and didn't hear anything spectacular, but it's definitely more in line with the Broker sound.

Halo - (former) Highlander! Although since they refuse to get a football team, also a Hokies fan.

And we don't get FM94 up here, but we do get 94.9 STAR country, which is right on the same track. I'd think Roanoke is included in southwest virginia, I don't know if I'd use 'civilized' for that city. :)

Hokies, FTW. I went to VT (2000 grad) right as they started putting in Ethernet in the dorms and our only modes of entertainment were Roanoke radio stations and the beginnings of mp3s. Plus, no cell phones. It was like a 3rd world country.

Oh, and I'm playing through Episodes from Liberty City, so I'll stay on topic. :)

I saw this yesterday.... Grand Theft Auto IV Complete. Its coming out soon, but i havent heard any news about this, just happened to see it white browsing games soon to be released. I assume its GTA IV + TLAD + TBOGT in one disc, or maybe two? I wonder if this version has the Vice City radio station available for the vanilla storyline. It only seems to be available for Xbox 360.

Hmmm after writing this i saw this post... apparently it is for 360 and PS3.

[quote name='The 7th Number']I saw this yesterday.... Grand Theft Auto IV Complete. Its coming out soon, but i havent heard any news about this, just happened to see it white browsing games soon to be released. I assume its GTA IV + TLAD + TBOGT in one disc, or maybe two? I wonder if this version has the Vice City radio station available for the vanilla storyline. It only seems to be available for Xbox 360.

Hmmm after writing this i saw this post... apparently it is for 360 and PS3.[/QUOTE]It'll be two discs for 360 and one disc for PS3. You can't put all of GTAIV + TLATD + TBOGT onto a single DVD-9 disc. Won't fit.

bread's done
Back