Grand Theft Auto IV - Gen. Discussion & Info

Hey guys, what exactly are "side missions" and how do you differentiate them from the core story ones? Are the side missions just the missions you get through your cell phone?

hmmm... I'm actually damn impressed by how much alot of people online suck at driving. wow. sit down and learn when to use the brakes or e-brakes.

people too easily crash into inanimate objects...

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']hmmm... I'm actually damn impressed by how much alot of people online suck at driving. wow. sit down and learn when to use the brakes or e-brakes.

people too easily crash into inanimate objects...[/quote]

haha, so true. But man, I hate when I'm driving and I crash into a fuckin tree, pisses me off. I can crash into a pole and go through it, but not a damn tree. But then again, its true in real life. Just sucks.

[quote name='chex20']haha, so true. But man, I hate when I'm driving and I crash into a fuckin tree, pisses me off. I can crash into a pole and go through it, but not a damn tree. But then again, its true in real life. Just sucks.[/quote]

Im pretty sure if you crash into a pole in real life, It's not going anywhere either...hope you're aware of that before you start aiming for light poles and stop signs in real life.:lol:

So I take Michelle out to the nice fancy star restaurant on the main island as it just opened up for me and I'm driving her back home. I'm on a bike and driving through the main bridge and all of a sudden a car changes lanes and slams on the brakes. I slap on my brakes but go sliding into the car and Michelle goes over my head and lands on the road. Then a cut scene occurs and she's back on the bike and then gets off calling me a freak since I scared her while driving. WTF
[quote name='yukine']GTA is so realistic! :lol:[/quote]

Yea it is realistic plus a whole hot dog refreshes me and makes me feel like new! Lol maybe if the hot dog was related to the physics system the hot dog would be more realistic. I kinda want to eat a hot dog now, Rockstar get promo money from OscarMyer?!:lol:

[quote name='help1']Hey guys, what exactly are "side missions" and how do you differentiate them from the core story ones? Are the side missions just the missions you get through your cell phone?[/QUOTE]

That is one set then you can roll up on people that you have met like Badman in between the main story missions (They appear as a blue person Icon on your map when you get near them). Remember that they are real small on the map so you have to pay close attention to see them.

I'm pretty GTA4'ed out, right now. I dig it, but need a break before this turns into another San Andreas fiasco (see: me quiting the game and forgetting to finish it).

[quote name='evanft']Little Jacob is at the % where I should be benefiting....but I can't. WTF?[/quote]

Same here. I am way past the point where we can be friends and I am 73% like and 81% respect but I didn't get the call yet for his benefit... Why? (Is it more than 73? I heard it was 70)

[quote name='ep2011']Same here. I am way past the point where we can be friends and I am 73% like and 81% respect but I didn't get the call yet for his benefit... Why? (Is it more than 73? I heard it was 70)[/quote]
I have the strategy guide and i believe it said 75%...

I pissed Michelle off after the second date by driving her home drunk, and she refuses to go out with me. Roman keeps bugging me via email to ask her out, yet she turns me down every time even though I've played through another 10% of the game since our date.

What's the deal? My friend shot her and she still takes his calls.

I just got the one man army achievement by total accident. I stole a heli in the second part of the city, and went the wrong way towards the 3rd part of the city which got me 6 stars, then just landed on the top of a building and hung out for a bit.

[quote name='blueboy']I pissed Michelle off after the second date by driving her home drunk, and she refuses to go out with me. Roman keeps bugging me via email to ask her out, yet she turns me down every time even though I've played through another 10% of the game since our date.

What's the deal? My friend shot her and she still takes his calls.[/quote]

Don't waste your time with Michelle. That's all I'm gonna tell you, just don't. Not worth the trouble.

I really hope Rockstar makes another GTA game set in London. It's obvious they put in a lot of touches in IV with English-esque design roots (Burgershot, typography for the manual, interface, bus signs, etc.).

That and I'm starting to get tired of the American Dream/Gangsta Shit vibe from the last few games.

If anyone is short of the green, do the side missions for Stevie (the You Got the Message achievement). For the higher end cars I'm getting $33-36k per car.

20080502.jpg

Just got the Assassin's Greed achievement, did the 10 Most Wanted missions for the middle island and I'm currently trying to do at least 10 unique stunt jumps before calling it a night. Hopefully I'll be near or at 70% or so by then.

Question for you guys going towards 100% completion:
When you get those chances to either kill someone or let them live, does killing any of them prevent you from getting 100%? I accidentally was button mashing when I encountered Ivan and let him die. If this prevents me from getting 100%, then I'm just going to get all the other achievements and keep a separate 100% save later on.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']If anyone is short of the green, do the side missions for Stevie (the You Got the Message achievement). For the higher end cars I'm getting $33-36k per car.[/quote]

Awesome, I'm at $428k and I haven't done any of his missions yet. Just need to get that Half Million achievement then I'm splurging on RPGs.

[quote name='menikmati']Just got the Assassin's Greed achievement, did the 10 Most Wanted missions for the middle island and I'm currently trying to do at least 10 unique stunt jumps before calling it a night. Hopefully I'll be near or at 70% or so by then.

Question for you guys going towards 100% completion:
When you get those chances to either kill someone or let them live, does killing any of them prevent you from getting 100%? I accidentally was button mashing when I encountered Ivan and let him die. If this prevents me from getting 100%, then I'm just going to get all the other achievements and keep a separate 100% save later on.
[/quote]

The one's that give you a choice, don't count towards the 100% whether they live or die according to the strategy guide.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']If anyone is short of the green, do the side missions for Stevie (the You Got the Message achievement). For the higher end cars I'm getting $33-36k per car.[/quote]

wow, I had no idea you get that much for them. I haven't even done one of those missions yet, I'll have to hit that up. thanks.

Don't know if this was mentioned already, but I found it very neat that if you go drinking with a friend and then enter your car drunk with a cop nearby, they will actually try and stop you.

[quote name='scrub0bk']Anyone been doin the assasin missions? theyve always been a favorite of mine.

also how many of them do i need for 100%?[/quote]

There's 9 of them in total (you get the Assassin's Greed achievement), but I don't know if you have to do all 9 for 100%, I'm assuming yes though.

I just finished Three Leaf Clover. After completing the level I got a few things i wanted to say. First being how great this level is. There is definitely a need for checkpoints in missions. I did get through it in 3 attempts but it was annoying have to start at the very beginning
do i really need to get a car and drive to the bank every time, at least the game is smart and it gives u 2 different dialogs for the trip to the bank and on the third time they just say " i wanna listen to the radio" so you don't have to hear the same shit over.

The first time through the mission the first few cut scenes were epic. The problem is when
one of your crew gets shot and the vault blows up.
The game does a few more cut scenes
like you packing your bag & before you walk down to the vault.
They run these cut scenes and fades to black, back to you. This happens ~4times for these stupid little cutscenes which ended up taking me out of the game. dunno what they could have done differently, maybe make it not a cutscene or somehow make them less obtrusive.

they almost had me totally into that mission.

After beating the game, and thinking about it, I feel that this game is the first game to
successfully portray choice in a game and truly show you its' consequences and benefits to the end. Throughout the games you have choices that extend benefits and hurt you along the way. For that, GTA is truly unique.

[quote name='KingBroly']After beating the game, and thinking about it, I feel that this game is the first game to
successfully portray choice in a game and truly show you its' consequences and benefits to the end. Throughout the games you have choices that extend benefits and hurt you along the way. For that, GTA is truly unique.
[/quote]
See: Mass Effect

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']
See: Mass Effect
[/quote]

See:
My Gamer Card

This one's better.
In the sense that I actually had to ponder what I was going to do

[quote name='KingBroly']See:
My Gamer Card

This one's better.
In the sense that I actually had to ponder what I was going to do
[/quote]
While I will agree that GTA IV does indeed do a good job of showing consequences of your actions of the main story (i.e. greed/revenge ruining the one good thing you had in America - Roman, humility/forgiveness costing you a certain future with Kate) and with side stories (i.e. saving Clarence after hearing him beg for his life in the Holland Nights mission for Francis, only to have him attack me in a random person/stranger mission after that), I'd hesitate to say it's beaten Mass Effect just yet - for the simple fact that the actions in that game will lead into Mass Effect 2 and beyond, we just haven't seen the consequences yet and it definitely will affect thousands/millions of people and other species. Basically, the scope of GTA IV's decision/consequence system is limited compared to that of Mass Effect. All that, and, Mass Effect came first - so it's the first game to really tack on some weight to decisions ;).

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']
While I will agree that GTA IV does indeed do a good job of showing consequences of your actions of the main story (i.e. greed/revenge ruining the one good thing you had in America - Roman, humility/forgiveness costing you a certain future with Kate) and with side stories (i.e. saving Clarence after hearing him beg for his life in the Holland Nights mission for Francis, only to have him attack me in a random person/stranger mission after that), I'd hesitate to say it's beaten Mass Effect just yet - for the simple fact that the actions in that game will lead into Mass Effect 2 and beyond, we just haven't seen the consequences yet and it definitely will affect thousands/millions of people and other species. Basically, the scope of GTA IV's decision/consequence system is limited compared to that of Mass Effect. All that, and, Mass Effect came first - so it's the first game to really tack on some weight to decisions ;).
[/quote]

The thing about Mass Effect is that I felt that I didn't get anywhere because it led into something else. It's not done yet. You can't judge anything that high without seeing the final page of the book. Also in Mass Effect, I kinda felt like no matter what I did, it would always end the same way. This one I didn't.

[quote name='KingBroly']
The thing about Mass Effect is that I felt that I didn't get anywhere because it led into something else. It's not done yet. You can't judge anything that high without seeing the final page of the book. Also in Mass Effect, I kinda felt like no matter what I did, it would always end the same way. This one I didn't.
[/quote]
Right. I'm aiming more in the direction of:

Mass Effect(s) - the decisions you made in the game open the door for two or more completely different paths which resemble more of a good/evil or lightside/darkside atmosphere. The two endings alone show how different the two paths you will be able to walk will be and, since it's a series, it will have a lot more length/weight to the consequences.

GTA IV - the decisions you make lead to a couple differing cutscenes, two different end missions, the choice between family or love (even though, you don't get Kate either way you go - my main gripe about the "bad ending" - so basically, either have Roman or not), and a few side missions afterwards. It feels more like a movie compared to Mass Effect (which feels like a novel).

Final word (if you were to compare the two in the same thought): GTA IV shows what life is like on either side of the coin for you and a handful of other people, while I think the Mass Effect series would show that plus what would happen to rival families/groups, the local government, and the entire city in general as a result of your actions.

[quote name='redfusion']I just got the one man army achievement by total accident. I stole a heli in the second part of the city, and went the wrong way towards the 3rd part of the city which got me 6 stars, then just landed on the top of a building and hung out for a bit.[/quote]

I got mine by accident too
- I went across a bridge on foot and found a handgun (I haven't unlocked any islands yet). After I picked it up I got 6 stars so I turned around and hung out in the stairwell for 5 minutes. As soon as I popped out I got blown away but at least I got the achievement.

Last night I also
killed Vlad (and got the "sleeping with the fishes" achievement or something). Talk about a brutal scene! It was awesome. The narrative in this game is just amazing.

For anyone who wasn't around Friday night, save the $150 from the helicopter tours, and let Wombat pick you up in his very own helicopter! He lets you in on such great knowledge, such as where his old apartment is, and then he ends the trip by crashing you into the top of the Empire State Building! :D

Can anyone help me? Starting "Russian Revolution"

After the mission "The Master and the Malotov" Dimitri never called me to start "Russian Revolution". I've been driving around and calling everyone but nothing triggers it. Any suggestions?

I'm afraid to click on any spoilers in this thread now since I am probably hours and hours behind you guys. You may want to put the mission name before the spoiler tag unless the mission name itself could be considered a spoiler.

One stupid question, do you HAVE to go to the safehouse to save your game after each mission or does the AutoSave work for that? It appears to save the game after each successful mission, I just don't want to go back to a safehouse everytime....thanks!

Also, why does Niko speak English to everyone, even his cousin? weird.

[quote name='doubledown']One stupid question, do you HAVE to go to the safehouse to save your game after each mission or does the AutoSave work for that? It appears to save the game after each successful mission, I just don't want to go back to a safehouse everytime....thanks!

Also, why does Niko speak English to everyone, even his cousin? weird.[/quote]

As stated, autosave works fine, but be careful if you go into a multiplayer match after starting the game back up from an autosave. I did that, and when I went back to the game, I swear it loaded from my last "regular" save. I had to quit the game and come back in and then it loaded from my autosave.

Has anyone else seen that happen or am I just nuts?

[quote name='doubledown']Also, why does Niko speak English to everyone, even his cousin? weird.[/QUOTE]This is actually somewhat explained in an email Niko's mother sends him.

[quote name='MisterHand']This is actually somewhat explained in an email Niko's mother sends him.[/QUOTE]

Ok, I must have not seen that yet...only played for a few hours. I was like Rockstar seems to be making this game more "realistic", yet I never see people that speak their same native language ever speak English to each other. I'm surprised RockStar touched on this...nice....

Thanks for the Autosave tip....that saves me some time ;)

[quote name='Persona7']Whoa, thats a nice turn of events. (Im talking about the michelle-karen thing)[/QUOTE]

This should of had a spoiler tag on it. Thanks bro :roll:

Got the One Man Army achievement last night...kinda cheated though...I was headed to the bridge where the cops have a barricade, then as soon as I cross and get the maximum stars I jumped underneath to the subway and hid in the tracks for 5 min. They did find a way to shoot me here or there but I kept moving and I scored it :D

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Got the One Man Army achievement last night...kinda cheated though...I was headed to the bridge where the cops have a barricade, then as soon as I cross and get the maximum stars I jumped underneath to the subway and hid in the tracks for 5 min. They did find a way to shoot me here or there but I kept moving and I scored it :D[/QUOTE]

I did the same thing, haha. It was fun.

Way for those who've completed the story to get the One Man Army achievement
Go to one of the safehouses in Algonquin (PBX works better), get in the alley behind it, shoot, grenades, and do whatever it takes to get to 5 stars, then go inside the building where the SH is, and continue shooting anyone who comes through the door, once you hit 6 stars, step on the elevator and go up to your room. Wait 5 minutes and achievement unlocked. It might take a few tries and definately requires you to have full armor and health before trying it, but it does work.

bread's done
Back