Grand Theft Auto IV - Gen. Discussion & Info

i was so engrossed in the mission elements of this game i totally forgot you can just fuck around, pile up cars and blow them all up for no reason, ugh it's awesssome

[quote name='MisterHand']I love how everybody who's pissed off about the spoiler keeps quoting it back.[/quote]My thoughts exactly. Now if a mod were to remove the original quote, he would have to clean up the other quotes. :applause:

For the 30 missions in under 30 hours achievement, does that mean under 30 hours GTAIV time or real time?

I have 20 missions completed with only 4 hours played, just seems too easy, I'm wondering if I overlooked it or something.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']For the 30 missions in under 30 hours achievement, does that mean under 30 hours GTAIV time or real time?

I have 20 missions completed with only 4 hours played, just seems too easy, I'm wondering if I overlooked it or something.[/QUOTE]

You have to beat the game in under 30 hours, not just 30 missions.

[quote name='Danil ACE']Cut scenes don't count towards playtime so why would the credits?[/QUOTE]Actually, I believe cut scenes do count towards your play time.

I heard there are two endings....are these endings depend on if you pick
to take cash and work with dimitri or revenge on him
....or does all the other past "you choose" situations effect the ending too? I dont want to know the other ending. Just curious if i will get the other one if i choose the other choice which i put in spoilers.

It's directly tied to what you mentioned. You should just leave a save right before you make the choice so you can go back and play it, it's worth it from what I've read.

[quote name='Superstar']You have to beat the game in under 30 hours, not just 30 missions.[/quote]

Oh crap, I misread it. No wonder it seemed too easy. I'm like at 15% with 4hours of play time...got a long way to go still.

[quote name='The 7th Number']I heard there are two endings....are these endings depend on if you pick
to take cash and work with dimitri or revenge on him
....or does all the other past "you choose" situations effect the ending too? I dont want to know the other ending. Just curious if i will get the other one if i choose the other choice which i put in spoilers.[/quote]

Is there one option which is better than the other?

[quote name='Mojimbo']It's directly tied to what you mentioned. You should just leave a save right before you make the choice so you can go back and play it, it's worth it from what I've read.[/quote]

Thanks, i was just worried that doing the opposite on other people might haunt me in the end. Because i wanted to do the opposite of everything i did before. Maybe ill make a new save right before each time there is a choice.

The other "choices" the game gives you often impact the random stranger encounters you have later on(the blue guys that show up on your HUD.) Almost everyone you let go comes back for those missions. If you kill them it doesn't negatively impact your chance at 100% though.

i have yet to even get anything over 2 stars.. been mostly just doing story and not focusing on causing chaos..

i think i am at about 15% as well

[quote name='Mojimbo']The other "choices" the game gives you often impact the random stranger encounters you have later on(the blue guys that show up on your HUD.) Almost everyone you let go comes back for those missions. If you kill them it doesn't negatively impact your chance at 100% though.[/quote]

Well there are also 3 big decisions to make during the game. Talking about...
Playboy X vs Dwayne, The Mcreary Bros, and Darko
I figure they are just alternate endings to their story only and wont have any effect on the ending?

[quote name='kromekoran']if you go to the options menu on your phone and scroll all the way down you can put the phone in sleep mode. however, I think once you hit the mission marker and start a mission your phone gets turned back on, no big deal since no one will bother you in a mission, just remember to put it back to sleep after the mission if you still don't want to be bothered.[/quote]
Thanks for the tip! I was losing points with everybody while driving around the city killing pigeons.
[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I've got two at a few of mine. I'm sometime going to test and see if I can can get two and a motorcycle on there.[/quote]
I was able to keep two cars and a motorcycle in the parking space at the first hideout for several hours of gameplay. However, I accidentally moved the bike a little in the parking spot (I bumped it with another car) and it disappeared shortly thereafter. I think you have to park it just right in order to save 3 vehicles in one spot. I haven't been able to do it since. :cry:

[quote name='gareman']undress to kill mission is a bitch![/quote]
My useless tips:
Just spray the back room (where one of the managers are) with an smg or rifle and camp there for a bit as you mow down the guards that try to get to you. Slowly creep out while taking out the other guards out. The guards blend in a lot with the walls so go :whee: with the auto aiming so you target everyone around you.

AFAIK the other managers will run out the building and get to a vehicle, but won't actually drive off until you get outside the club. I took my sweet-ass time in the club, and when I went out the two remaining managers were already in a vehicle and tried to run me over. Didn't work. :p

Heres a question guys, I have not liked any other GTA games due to the repetitive game play and shitty graphics. This one however has grabbed my interest. Is this game strong enough to convert a GTA hater ?

[quote name='jakehoss']Heres a question guys, I have not liked any other GTA games due to the repetitive game play and shitty graphics. This one however has grabbed my interest. Is this game strong enough to convert a GTA hater ?[/quote]

To be honest with you, no. It's a fantastic game, don't get me wrong (actually bought both the 360/PS3 LE versions cause I love GTA) but it is still a lot more of the same. There's plenty of new stuff, while some old stuff taken out (customization of your character/ride, etc.). The graphics are pretty good, better than the previous GTAs but not as good (imo) as COD4/Halo3/GoW. But then again, GTA was never about graphics, rather the gameplay. It's one of those games where you pick it up and have fun with it, going around shooting people and doing some random missions.

Forgot to mention, that it is more of a realistic GTA than the previous GTAs. Meaning, you can't go around corners at 120+ mph and think that you can make it. Your gonna end up in a pole, rolled over, or even Niko might go through the windshield and die.

[quote name='chex20']To be honest with you, no. It's a fantastic game, don't get me wrong (actually bought both the 360/PS3 LE versions cause I love GTA) but it is still a lot more of the same. There's plenty of new stuff, while some old stuff taken out (customization of your character/ride, etc.). The graphics are pretty good, better than the previous GTAs but not as good (imo) as COD4/Halo3/GoW. But then again, GTA was never about graphics, rather the gameplay. It's one of those games where you pick it up and have fun with it, going around shooting people and doing some random missions.

Forgot to mention, that it is more of a realistic GTA than the previous GTAs. Meaning, you can't go around corners at 120+ mph and think that you can make it. Your gonna end up in a pole, rolled over, or even Niko might go through the windshield and die.[/quote]
Well thanks for being honest. I'll probably buy it anyway because im a compulsive spender and a degenerate.

If you get into the air with wanted stars, it's almost impossible to shake...at least for me. I was out over the Atlantic and had the 'cop radar' on a little circle over the ocean. No other helis or anything, almost like a little black raincloud.

It sorta makes sense though. How do you lose sight of a guy in helicopter over an ocean? The only thing you could do to make yourself more obvious is to light yourself on fire and pump out the Ride of the Valkyries on stereo.

Anyone have any tips getting the Finish Him achievement? Every time I start a fight with a pedestrian, I get around 2 counters in before they're dead and the police are on my ass.

[quote name='jakehoss']Heres a question guys, I have not liked any other GTA games due to the repetitive game play and shitty graphics. This one however has grabbed my interest. Is this game strong enough to convert a GTA hater ?[/quote]

No. It is a GTA game throughout. Shitty graphics are still there, and "chase this guy" is still the majority.

[quote name='menikmati']Anyone have any tips getting the Finish Him achievement? Every time I start a fight with a pedestrian, I get around 2 counters in before they're dead and the police are on my ass.[/quote]

You have 4min to do all 10 so as soon as your first ped dies, go on to the next one and so on, until the achievement unlocks.

If you are interested in the game but have doubts, why not rent it?

You're a far better judge of what you enjoy than most other people.

I've been playing the single player as much as my girlfriend will let me... but any talks of a CAG gaming group yet? I don't play online enough to start something like that, but I'd like to give the multiplayer a shot with CAGs.

Yes, I think we should start a CAG group. I'm tired of playing with immature dolts who can't understand clear instructions. Plus not a lot of my rl friends are playing this online.

[quote name='Dro']Anyone know where to find a abandoned helicopter? Or get one without cheats.[/QUOTE]

Just go steal one of the Heli-Tours ones.

[quote name='AshesofWake']is there a tank in this game? it would be ridiculous if there wasn't. but i haven't heard any talk of it....[/QUOTE]

I don't think so...

[quote name='gareman']undress to kill mission is a bitch![/quote]
i just shot the dude in the back getting a lapdance 1st then ran around to the front and killed the other two before they could get into the car :lol:

I just saw this over at another forum I go to...

nikostop.png

[quote name='shnizzle66']I don;t get it...?[/quote]
It's not that funny to be honest. I'm pretty sure it means Niko's GF keeps on calling him and a few days later runs her over.

[quote name='mrelusive']Kind of sad how the 6-star achievement is probably the easiest one in the game...[/QUOTE]

No my friend, "Off the Boat" is the easiest because you get it just for starting the game.

[quote name='Dro']Anyone know where to find a abandoned helicopter? Or get one without cheats.[/quote]
Anyone?

Im really frustrated at the moment. Near the end i did two things that i wish i could change.
Kill Darko and Take the money instead of getting revenge.
Those two things really went against everything i did up until then too, so i dunno why i chose to do those things. but now that ive beaten the game, its not the same playing it through a 2nd time. Its just not the same and i wish i could go back and change what ive done. So i could
bring roman back most of all. not sure if that will happen if i had picked revenge....please dont tell me
Does anyone else feel this way? Its just not the same playing it a 2nd time. Its feels like because of my choices, ive ruined my one and only "first experience" with the game.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Im really frustrated at the moment. Near the end i did two things that i wish i could change.
Kill Darko and Take the money instead of getting revenge.
Those two things really went against everything i did up until then too, so i dunno why i chose to do those things. but now that ive beaten the game, its not the same playing it through a 2nd time. Its just not the same and i wish i could go back and change what ive done. So i could
bring roman back most of all. not sure if that will happen if i had picked revenge....please dont tell me
Does anyone else feel this way? Its just not the same playing it a 2nd time. Its feels like because of my choices, ive ruined my one and only "first experience" with the game.[/quote]

Play through it again and make different choices to get a different outcome. That should more than make up for your first experience, and if anything, make the game better in the long-run.

bread's done
Back