Grand Theft Auto IV - Gen. Discussion & Info

wtf i think my copy of GTA is messed up. ive had it maybe 8-10 days so far, now today i put it in i get a white box message screen saying please insert 360 disc and then it says attempting to read media...what should i do now? will amazon replace it?

[quote name='The 7th Number']I read in a preview that there was a mission where...
There was bodies in the trunk and it would pop open, thats when you had to get out of the car and shut the trunk before someone saw it and called the cops.

Now this mission is probably the one where
Elizabeta kills manny and his camera man and you have to drive their dead bodies to some guy who wants their body parts. But ive done that mission twice and never has the trunk poped open. Now i was trying to drive carefully because i thought that could be the mission, but im not sure.
... has anyone had that happen to them in this mission?[/QUOTE]

Yeah John. I just did that one this morning and
I had the trunk pop open after I had a collision as the cops chased me. I kept driving in order to get out of the wanted circle, however, and it closed on its own.

[quote name='The 7th Number']I read in a preview that there was a mission where...
There was bodies in the trunk and it would pop open, thats when you had to get out of the car and shut the trunk before someone saw it and called the cops.

Elizabeta kills manny and his camera man and you have to drive their dead bodies to some guy who wants their body parts. But ive done that mission twice and never has the trunk poped open. Now i was trying to drive carefully because i thought that could be the mission, but im not sure.
... has anyone had that happen to them in this mission?[/quote]

Ya it happened to me.

... has anyone had that happen to them in this mission?[/QUOTE]
Yeah, that happened to me, too.
And yes, it is the mission where Elizabeta kills Manny. The trunk popped open on me about halfway to where you need to take them, after a car swerved into me. I probably should have pulled over and closed the trunk again, but I risked it and went the rest of the way with the trunk wide open. Luckily I didn't pass any cops, so I finished the mission on the first try.

I did too.

I got out and shut the trunk. Took me a minute to figure it out, the help thing popped up and said LB to close the trunk, and it worked. I hit a car pretty hard taking a turn.

Just finished the story, wow, that last mission was so awesome. I picked
revenge

My favorite part of the last mission was at the part when I jump onto the heli from my dirtbike

[quote name='ananag112']Sorry if old, but check out this website:

www.scottalexander.tv/welcome.php

Its the real life Brucie![/quote]

That looks like him, and his lifestyle....but his personality isnt there....

Someone on another board i visit said it also could be loosely based on this guy... Maybe both combined = Brucie? Just a thought.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9qXbgrx9rg[/media]

Yeah, I always thought Brucie was based on him.

Finished the game last night, I'm satisfied with the
revenge ending. There's no way I could let Roman die and and then you find out Mallorie is pregnant and stuff... forget about it. Katie was pretty easy to let go since I didn't really take her out on dates too much, I just wasn't very attached to the character like I am with Roman, and hell I wasn't even able to get her to put out. :lol:

[quote name='yukine']Yeah, I always thought Brucie was based on him.

Finished the game last night, I'm satisfied with the
revenge ending. There's no way I could let Roman die and and then you find out Mallorie is pregnant and stuff... forget about it. Katie was pretty easy to let go since I didn't really take her out on dates too much, I just wasn't very attached to the character like I am with Roman, and hell I wasn't even able to get her to put out. :lol:
[/QUOTE]

I agree completely. After reading about the money ending and how not only does Roman die, but you Kate disowns you for making that decision, there really is no bonus for doing it that way. Not to mention after saving Roman's ass at least three times during the story there is no way I'm just going to let him die.

Since beating the story I've been concentrating on dating. I could have sworn there was some preview that said you could date a guy for like cheap auto repairs or something, but I haven't found anything like that in the game.

Ugh, this game is so annoying. You die and have to replay everything, lose a huge chunk of money and lose your ammo.

Damn, they penalize you enough for failing these super ass hard missions?

[quote name='mrchainsaw']Yeah it's really annoying to have to drive to a certain place just do get to the meat of a mission.[/QUOTE]

ever consider using a taxi? saves so much time before, during, and after missions.

[quote name='yukafls']When I die, I just loose some money and get a text about wanting to play the mission again, no big and no loss of ammo.[/quote]

Yea, you don't get the ammo back that you waisted during the mission. Thus equaling a loss.

And you still have to start the whole thing over.

(I'm on the Three Leaf Clover mission).

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']ever consider using a taxi? saves so much time before, during, and after missions.[/quote]
If you have someone else with you on a mission, can you still take a taxi? I've never thought about it, I just assumed I had to drive them to the destination.

[quote name='mrchainsaw']If you have someone else with you on a mission, can you still take a taxi? I've never thought about it, I just assumed I had to drive them to the destination.[/QUOTE]

some missions require a vehicle, but most of the time you can take a taxi.

[quote name='mrchainsaw']If you have someone else with you on a mission, can you still take a taxi? I've never thought about it, I just assumed I had to drive them to the destination.[/quote]

Of' course. If it wasn't like that then that would suck. Sometimes they will get in the taxi fast enough, sometimes they don't. If they don't, then they somehow mysteriously appear at the destination. Same goes with dates.

On a side note, try to have your buddy (or whoever is riding with you) get in the side that has a person in the seat. They will jack the person out of the seat and sit down.

I have had times where i took someone to cluck n bell or somewhere else and i didnt have to drive them home. They just said, see ya later and walked off after the activity.

[quote name='The 7th Number']I have had times where i took someone to cluck n bell or somewhere else and i didnt have to drive them home. They just said, see ya later and walked off after the activity.[/quote]

Happened to me too, except it was at a strip club. Took Bruice and after the show, I wanted to shoot the guard (he was pissing me off too much. Didn't like how he was looking at me). I shot him a couple of times, cops came, he told me he's bouncing and would talk to me later and just left.

MAY CONTIAN SPOILERS IF YOU HAVENT DONE FINAL INTERVIEW (Francis)!!!

I got the email from francis, submitted my resume, got the phone call from the lawyers office, and have a meeting setup with Goldberg the Lawyer at Noon for an interview.

I buy a suit and shoes from Perseus (do I need pants too, IIRC the suit comes with pants) and show up at the building before noon but there is no icon/yellow arrow there, nor is there a place marked on my map. What gives?

I can't get into the building to the interveiw but I know it's the right one because (1) I checked the address in the e-mail (44 Amethyst Street) (2) it says the name of the lawfirm on the door (3) It looks like the same one on IGN's guide.

When you did this mission, was there a yellow arrow so you could get in? Was there an icon on your map? What am I missing? Please help me, it's rather frustrating. Am I not early enough?? I get there by 11:29 am. usually. Is that too late or something? It doesnt make sense that it would be b/c I get a reminder for the meeting on my organizer. Is there anyway I can make it appear so that I could set a waypoint to it?

Basically I'm wondering why the game isn't recognizing the interview with a marker so I can get to the friggin thing.

[quote name='pittpizza']MAY CONTIAN SPOILERS IF YOU HAVENT DONE FINAL INTERVIEW (Francis)!!!

I got the email from francis, submitted my resume, got the phone call from the lawyers office, and have a meeting setup with Goldberg the Lawyer at Noon for an interview.

I buy a suit and shoes from Perseus (do I need pants too, IIRC the suit comes with pants) and show up at the building before noon but there is no icon/yellow arrow there, nor is there a place marked on my map. What gives?

I can't get into the building to the interveiw but I know it's the right one because (1) I checked the address in the e-mail (44 Amethyst Street) (2) it says the name of the lawfirm on the door (3) It looks like the same one on IGN's guide.

When you did this mission, was there a yellow arrow so you could get in? Was there an icon on your map? What am I missing? Please help me, it's rather frustrating. Am I not early enough?? I get there by 11:29 am. usually. Is that too late or something? It doesnt make sense that it would be b/c I get a reminder for the meeting on my organizer. Is there anyway I can make it appear so that I could set a waypoint to it?

Basically I'm wondering why the game isn't recognizing the interview with a marker so I can get to the friggin thing.[/QUOTE]

IIRC the yellow marker marking the entrance was on the side of the building, I had trouble finding the entrance the first time too.

I get shoes, and I don't have any glasses or hats on!!??
I got the call for the interview a while ago. Then at 11 I get a message from francis, and 11:30 (when Im usually outside w/ no hat/glasses but a suit and tie and shoes, i get a reminder on my phone.

I'm thinking "I'm RIGHT OUTSIDE!!"

I still cant get the roll over your car achievement. I went to the airport and used those things in the grass. but i always roll over like 2 times and land on my wheels. I drive top speed.

I finally gave up on this game. It had some fun moments, but it's more frustrating than its worth. I was amazed at how quick my friends all went back to CoD4. Finding public games is more trouble than its worth. I'd spend twice as much time finding a game that people would actually stay in than I would playing. I really like team mafia work, but 95% of the time people either all jump to one team right before the game starts or they all quit before the game ends.

The last straw for me on the single player was the motorcycle stunt jump on the bridge. If you miss it it takes a few minutes to get back to it. It is quickest to kill yourself and take a taxi, but the taxis were a pain in the ass because it took me forever to figure out where I had to put the waypoint because the bridge went over another road that they kept dropping me off on the wrong road even through they weren't anywhere near my waypoint. After wasting over an hour and landing the jump at high speeds multiple times I quit and put the game up on Ebay.

[quote name='The 7th Number']I still cant get the roll over your car achievement. I went to the airport and used those things in the grass. but i always roll over like 2 times and land on my wheels. I drive top speed.[/quote]

keep your finger on right trigger and just hit the next one. the flips stack, so you get 2 on one, 3 on the next one, and you get the cheezmint.

[quote name='jkanownik']I finally gave up on this game. It had some fun moments, but it's more frustrating than its worth. I was amazed at how quick my friends all went back to CoD4. Finding public games is more trouble than its worth. I'd spend twice as much time finding a game that people would actually stay in than I would playing. I really like team mafia work, but 95% of the time people either all jump to one team right before the game starts or they all quit before the game ends.

The last straw for me on the single player was the motorcycle stunt jump on the bridge. If you miss it it takes a few minutes to get back to it. It is quickest to kill yourself and take a taxi, but the taxis were a pain in the ass because it took me forever to figure out where I had to put the waypoint because the bridge went over another road that they kept dropping me off on the wrong road even through they weren't anywhere near my waypoint. After wasting over an hour and landing the jump at high speeds multiple times I quit and put the game up on Ebay.[/quote]That stunt jump is actually the easiest one: all you have to do is slowly take the jump and land in the walkway between the bridge.

I appreciate your help guys.
As far as I know, I don't have a hat or glasses on. They certainly don't appear on my character. WHen I buy the suit, I just get one suit right, no need to get pants correct? Just suit and shoes.

I know it's the right day b/c I'll be standing outside their offices and I'll get a reminder about it from my organizer on the cell. Suit, shoes, no hat or glasses, but no yellow arrow or icon on the map at 11:30 am the day of the interview.

Maybe I'm running into issues in being between certain missions for Packie McCreary? Some sort of "story no-mans-land" where it won't let me get the interview mission done at this time?

I'm out of ideas and spent an hour lasting trying and re-loading. I'd take a cab to the Perseus in South Algonquin on Amethyst street (right next to lawfirm), buy a suit and shoes and get there around 11:20 to no avail.

Will I get a second interview if I miss the first one? Maybe I'll just say "F### it" and retry it later.

[quote name='pittpizza']

Will I get a second interview if I miss the first one? Maybe I'll just say "F### it" and retry it later.[/quote]

Yes, you will.

Are you sure that the interview is at 11:30? IIRC, the ringer sets off at 11:30 but the actual interview is at like 12:00 or something. Try staying there for a while and see if the yellow marker doesnt show up. If id doesn't then just reschedule.

[quote name='help1']Yes, you will.

Are you sure that the interview is at 11:30? IIRC, the ringer sets off at 11:30 but the actual interview is at like 12:00 or something. Try staying there for a while and see if the yellow marker doesnt show up. If id doesn't then just reschedule.[/quote]

Again, thanks for trying to help, help1 (ha ha).

I go there at 11:20am w/ suit and shoes, and a few moments later I'll get a beep reminding me. The interview is at 12:00 Tuesday. On my organizer, it's marked under "Today: 12:00."

Even after 12 passes nothing happens (latest I've re-loaded the save is 12 15-1230 ish). I've even gone back to the intenet Tw@ store to re-check the email and the address. I had to in order to find where the interview was b/c there is no marker or icon on the map for it. SOmethign isn't right.

Do you need to wear the suit/shoes to get the marker to appear, or is it there even before you're properly dressed? I ask b/c I never saw it at all.

It's so fucking wierd and insanely frustrating. I try not to get worked up but it's infuriating. I'm there, I'm dressed, I'm on time, everything I can think of is in order.

Either it's a glitch or I'm missing something. The fucked up thing is that it's probably something stupid I'm missing.

I've scoured the map for an icon or indicator but can't find it. Is there someone I need to call or somethign I need to do on my phone to make the marker/map icon appear?

When I did it, I got the call and a yellow marker appeared on my map. I took a cab there and walked right up to the building. I don't know if there's a marker there or not because it doesn't go to a cutscene, you must walk Niko into the building. Have you tried all possible entrances to the building?

The entrance I try is on the corner of Amethyst and Bismark Ave. I thought there was only one entrance.

Either way, it doesnt seem to be the issue since no marker or map icon ever appears. There is something preventing me from being able to access it, either the time or my dress or something else I/We can't think of.

The date and time is right. I know b/c I get a reminder as I'm standing out side the door. Also the clothing is right. I know b/c I buy a suit and shoes (don't need to buy pants right?).

One suspicion: I'm thinking the problem might be that I've done another "U" mission for the paper in between when I got the call for the interview, maybe this removed the marker and the ability to do the interview mission too????? I did "Dust Off" as I was waiting for the interview time to roll around. Might this be the problem? Must I wait to reschedule another interview, then do nothing while I wait for the time to roll around?

[quote name='pittpizza']The entrance I try is on the corner of Amethyst and Bismark Ave. I thought there was only one entrance.

Either way, it doesnt seem to be the issue since no marker or map icon ever appears. There is something preventing me from being able to access it, either the time or my dress or something else I/We can't think of.

The date and time is right. I know b/c I get a reminder as I'm standing out side the door. Also the clothing is right. I know b/c I buy a suit and shoes (don't need to buy pants right?).

One suspicion: I'm thinking the problem might be that I've done another "U" mission for the paper in between when I got the call for the interview, maybe this removed the marker and the ability to do the interview mission too????? I did "Dust Off" as I was waiting for the interview time to roll around. Might this be the problem? Must I wait to reschedule another interview, then do nothing while I wait for the time to roll around?[/quote]

Don't all the suits come with pants? I don't think that is it. I would just play on, and wait for a reschedule.

About Michelle after Snow Storm

Was her undercover thing supposed to be the worst kept secret in the game? It was painfully obvious to everyone I've talked to from the moment you met her

I didn't see it Lordwow.

And Help1, I think that is what I'll do. I seriously would love to know what the deal is, like maybe the game thinks I have a hat on that doesn't appear on my head or something.

If your clothes are wrong, can you still get into the interview, might that be it?

I thought there were just two preconditions: (1) Time, and (2) Clothes. Maybe there is a third that I can't do any other mission in between the phonecall and the interview? what do you think? I can't think of anythign else.

[quote name='The 7th Number']I still cant get the roll over your car achievement. I went to the airport and used those things in the grass. but i always roll over like 2 times and land on my wheels. I drive top speed.[/quote]

It took me a while to finally get it, but just keep trying the airport and hitting the yellow "jumps" with only one side of the car to make it flip like crazy. I actually started it in an SUV and ended up finishing it in a police car but I'm not sure if the rollovers stacked between cars or not. I flipped them both a shitload of times before the achievement popped up.

It just takes some patience and hitting the jumps over and over again.

[quote name='pittpizza']I didn't see it Lordwow.

And Help1, I think that is what I'll do. I seriously would love to know what the deal is, like maybe the game thinks I have a hat on that doesn't appear on my head or something.

If your clothes are wrong, can you still get into the interview, might that be it?

I thought there were just two preconditions: (1) Time, and (2) Clothes. Maybe there is a third that I can't do any other mission in between the phonecall and the interview? what do you think? I can't think of anythign else.[/quote]

All i remember is pressing LB by the intercom to tell the person to buzz me in. At least i think it went that way. As long as the icon shows up on the map, i dont see why you wouldnt be able to get in.

You ahve to press LB next ot the intercom???

Shouldnt there be a yellow arrow you just have to step into?

I don't think i tried pressign LB next to the intercom.

[quote name='pittpizza']You ahve to press LB next ot the intercom???

Shouldnt there be a yellow arrow you just have to step into?

I don't think i tried pressign LB next to the intercom.[/quote]

I thought so, i could be wrong....maybe the message pops up when you walk near the intercom.

[quote name='pittpizza']Regardless of what you press, there is still an icon on the map and a yellow arrow outside the intercom right?[/quote]

I dunno, turn your system on and tell us if going by the intercom does anything.

Yep, that "WTF" are my sentiments exactly. I re-tried and re-loaded for about an hour last night. There is no reason it shouldnt work.

Really really fuckin infuriating when you play by the rules, are careful to schedule appropriately, and then show up and the game wont let you fuckin do it. Still, maybe I (and the guy in that vid) is missing something simple. Do you think we're too late? How long before the interview do you have ot show up?

bread's done
Back