Grand Theft Auto IV - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='lordwow']Also, may have been answered in here, but I missed it (probably should be spoiled)

Which island do you start on?[/quote]

Hove Beach section of Broker. (Coney Island, Brooklyn).

Both places are majority Russian neighborhoods.

This may have been answered all ready, but i just read the last 3 pages and how the fuck do so many all ready got this??

Anyways, I work at blockbuster and pre-ordered it from there and hope i will be able to take it home with me after work on monday!!

[quote name='elsnow77']This may have been answered all ready, but i just read the last 3 pages and how the fuck do so many all ready got this??

Anyways, I work at blockbuster and pre-ordered it from there and hope i will be able to take it home with me after work on monday!![/quote]

My friend runs a game store. The special edition versions came in on Thursday. :D

I bought the new GTA IV theme 2 (100 points), took pics for those who dont know what it looks like. Personally i think it looks better than the free one. The blade looks like the normal xbox 360 blade.

Live

Games

Media

System

[quote name='elsnow77']This may have been answered all ready, but i just read the last 3 pages and how the fuck do so many all ready got this??

Anyways, I work at blockbuster and pre-ordered it from there and hope i will be able to take it home with me after work on monday!![/quote]

FYE & Kmart thus far have broken street date.

[quote name='Bezerker']FYE & Kmart thus far have broken street date.[/quote]

nationwide? Im definetly going to kmart after state cup qualifiers are done tomorow.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Can anyone confirm this? If so im going to kmart right now.[/quote]

Local f.y.e. and K-Mart just caught an attitude with me. So mine aren't selling them.

[quote name='shnizzle66']nationwide? Im definetly going to kmart after state cup qualifiers are done tomorow.[/quote]

[quote name='The 7th Number']Can anyone confirm this? If so im going to kmart right now.[/quote]

He forgot to add the word some in there...anywhere breaking street date is extremely YMMV.

I picked up a PS3 version from K-Mart yesterday.. not a local one, 'bout 30 miles out, was the last one.. been playing a combined total of about six hours now. A friend had a downloaded 360 version, watched it for a minute.. PS3 version definitely looks better, but I will have it on both systems. Normal version on PS3, LE on 360.

[quote name='hec204']Is it going to be impossible to find a copy of this game without a pre order?[/quote]No, it will be around just like Halo 3. They know the demand. I would say their is probably like 5 Million copies around the U.S and Canada around launch.

[quote name='hec204']Is it going to be impossible to find a copy of this game without a pre order?[/quote]

It may be pretty tough to get day one, but not impossible, no

[quote name='Bazz']No, it will be around just like Halo 3. They know the demand. I would say their is probably like 5 Million copies around the U.S and Canada around launch.[/QUOTE]

They estimated to sell 6.5 million copies so I'm sure there will be at least 7-8 million out there.

[quote name='pimpinc333']They estimated to sell 6.5 million copies so I'm sure there will be at least 7-8 million out there.[/quote]I was thinking for 360 alone. I believe that # is for ps3 and 360 combined.

[quote name='evanft']The fact that the PS3 version is supposed to be better makes my penis unhappy.[/quote]

It's just a bit sharper and plays a bit smoother than the 360 one..

[quote name='DarkRider23']I'm pretty sure you can install it on the HD.[/QUOTE]

I'm reading a thread over at IGN, and everyone is saying TEH NOES to that. They could (are) be talking out of their ass, though.

[quote name='Antic']How do people have this game already?[/quote]

YARRRR! Matey! Thar be PIRATES!!

liberty_bay.jpg

[quote name='SynGamer']Wait...so no optional install for the 360 version? I was actually looking forward to that...[/quote]

only ps3's do that... there's no 360 game that does that

[quote name='bmachine']Did anyone else who pre-ordered the GTA IV guide the other day get this email from Amazon?

I am unthrilled.
[/quote]

I did not receive this.

Pirates? That was true of people playing days ago, but copies got delivered to stores on Thursday. I'm no pirate and I've been playing since then. I have no idea how to even go about modding my 360.

Also, I can confirm that there is no optional hdd install for the 360 version. There is some popin when moving from outdoor to indoor scenes. Whenever I run into my hideout to save, I watch the bed magically appear in front of me. But I havent seen any popin outdoors, it's only when transitioning to an indoor scene.

[quote name='joe2187']YARRRR! Matey! Thar be PIRATES!!

liberty_bay.jpg
[/quote]

[quote name='RiCeBo1']Do I want a smoother better looking game or DLC? Decisons...decisions...[/quote]

Personally i will believe ps3 looks and runs better when i see it. Before the IGN article it was always the 360 version that looks and plays better, now IGN says PS3 looks better? Thats odd. Generally 360 games look better, more colorful, better textures, good framerates. Sure it has pop ins but what 360 game dont? its not that big a deal. Some reason i think IGN are blowing it out their ass.

[quote name='SynGamer']Wait...so no optional install for the 360 version? I was actually looking forward to that...[/quote]

There's no reason to install on 360 from what I heard.
The DVD of the 360 actually reads faster than the blu ray of the PS3 so the streaming was good enough I guess.

So far I noticed the PS3 has slightly brighter color than the 360, and slightly less jaggies. The draw distance is just a bit further as well, but the 360 is using a fade effect. You can hardly tell the difference. BOTH though still suffer from a bit of lag with heavy action, and you get the odd occasional item appearing from nowhere.

But it's nothing like the past games.

I got my call from EB Games today for th emidnight launch monday. PSYCHED. :bouncy:

[quote name='CosmosTheMouse']There's no reason to install on 360 from what I heard.
The DVD of the 360 actually reads faster than the blu ray of the PS3 so the streaming was good enough I guess.

So far I noticed the PS3 has slightly brighter color than the 360, and slightly less jaggies. The draw distance is just a bit further as well, but the 360 is using a fade effect. You can hardly tell the difference. BOTH though still suffer from a bit of lag with heavy action, and you get the odd occasional item appearing from nowhere.

But it's nothing like the past games.

I got my call from EB Games today for th emidnight launch monday. PSYCHED. :bouncy:[/quote]
Oh i understand, was just hoping the optional install would help, but either way, no big deal. My copy was shipped today according to Best Buy. What i'm really anxious for is the first patch. I know that may sound strange, but this is Next-Gen gaming right? Unlike last generation (PS2/Xbox/Cube), developers can patch their games now to fix bugs and from the sound of things, there are a few things that could use some cleaning up in GTAIV (floating cars...).

So yeah, can't wait. I assume they can fix some of the slowdown now that the game is out and they have time to work on bugs and such.

[quote name='SynGamer']Oh i understand, was just hoping the optional install would help, but either way, no big deal. My copy was shipped today according to Best Buy. What i'm really anxious for is the first patch. I know that may sound strange, but this is Next-Gen gaming right? Unlike last generation (PS2/Xbox/Cube), developers can patch their games now to fix bugs and from the sound of things, there are a few things that could use some cleaning up in GTAIV (floating cars...).

So yeah, can't wait. I assume they can fix some of the slowdown now that the game is out and they have time to work on bugs and such.[/quote]

You know, I never really think of that at all.
Seeing that every console can update via online, that's highly possible.

I've been so used to the past few generations of consoles I hardly remember that until I turn on a game and it says "update available".

[quote name='CosmosTheMouse']You know, I never really think of that at all.
Seeing that every console can update via online, that's highly possible.

I've been so used to the past few generations of consoles I hardly remember that until I turn on a game and it says "update available".[/quote]

This is the first game where i've actually been looking forward to the patches...odd, i know. It's just nice to know that a game that has been getting perfect scores could potentially get even better with time ;)

[quote name='SynGamer']Oh i understand, was just hoping the optional install would help, but either way, no big deal. My copy was shipped today according to Best Buy. What i'm really anxious for is the first patch. I know that may sound strange, but this is Next-Gen gaming right? Unlike last generation (PS2/Xbox/Cube), developers can patch their games now to fix bugs and from the sound of things, there are a few things that could use some cleaning up in GTAIV (floating cars...).

So yeah, can't wait. I assume they can fix some of the slowdown now that the game is out and they have time to work on bugs and such.[/quote]

There is no slowdown in the 360 version that I have seen. Like I said before, there is some popin, but only when transitioning to indoor scenes. Also, there isnt much loading. When you first load up the game, it loads for about 30-45 seconds, and when you reload a save, theres about 20-30 seconds of load, but other than that there is no ingame loading or pausing of any kind. I've driven 150 mph from Broker to Bohan and theres no loading or popin of any kind.

One of the ways the game saves memory is that things that are far away are kind of blurry. Like when your on the waterfront of Broker, you can see Manhattan, but it's blurry, so the game doesnt have to load the textures for everything all at once.

I dont know about PS3 vs. 360, since I only have the 360 version, but I can tell you that not having a hdd install doesnt seem to hurt the game at all.

To those who have played the PS3 version, are the controls the same as the PS2 games? I like steering with the digital pad.

[quote name='Dezuria']To those who have played the PS3 version, are the controls the same as the PS2 games? I like steering with the digital pad.[/quote]

Ive read how the gas is right trigger on ps3, like xbox 360 controls. I found that odd personally, i thought they would have the sony styled controls, but it seems as though they have the 360 layout.

I like how everything has been given a pseudo name, like Rotterdam hill (I was born in Rotterdam) so that's pretty cool. If you are wondering if they mention the Twin Towers and stuff:
There's a mission where one of your buddies gets mad at this real estate guy who wants to turn the area where the towers used to be into a memorial for people who were in "accidents". Instead he wants there to be residences build so he can make money....

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but if you are listening to the radio and want to know the name of the song you can call ZiT and Lazlo answers and he'll listen to the song and text you the name of the song and who it is by. Pretty cool feature.

There's also a lot of choices you can make that will impact the game. I think just because of that it'll be worth playing through several times.

[quote name='performula']Define popin please.[/quote]

When buildings/mountains/etc. appear in the distance do they gradually come in to view or do they "pop in" to the environment?

bread's done
Back