Grand Theft Auto IV - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='Immortal fWd']Seriously? I ordered mine on 4/23 with the free super saver shipping.[/quote]

I've got to assume that they're throttling the overnights to insure that no one gets it before release day. It'll probably go out today.

[quote name='bmachine']I wonder if
it would change the story if you made a point to always drive the same vehicle on dates?
[/quote]

I'm currently testing that out. She also comments on your clothes. I wear the same thing every time.. I should probably change.

[quote name='Mahoney07']Spawn Cognoscenti (Mafia Car): "Call CAR-555-0142"
Spawn Sanchez (Dirt Bike): "Call MBK-555-0150"
Spawn FBI Buffalo: Call "CAR-555-000"
Spawn Turismo: Call "CAR-555-0147"
Spawn NRG900: Call "MBK-555-0100"
Spawn Comet: Call "CAR-555-0175"
Spawn SuperGT: Call "CAR-555-0168"
Spawn Police Chopper: Call "FLY-555-0100"
Spawn Jetmax(Boat): Call "WET-555-0100"

Health And Weapons: Call "GTA-555-0100"
Weapons: Call "GUN-555-0150"
Advanced Weapons: Call "GUN-555-0100"
Health: Call "DOC-555-0100"
Wanted Level Down: Call "COP-555-0100"
Wanted Level Up: Call "COP-555-0150"
Climate Change: Call "HOT-555-0100"

Note #1: They are all tested by me, and they work.
Note #2: Each of these blocks one or more achievements.
Note #3: After you enter a cheat, a Cheat Menu shows up in your mobile, where the cheats you've already entered are.[/QUOTE]
what achievements do they block?

[quote name='joe2187']Get dat shit outta here.[/quote]
I must admit to cheating (sort of) in the previous games. After every mission, I'd punch in the cheats for full health and armor, save my game, then tackle the next one. Saved me the tedium of searching for health and armor pickups after the tougher missions.

I can't wait until tonight. For the past two weeks, I've been saying "Only (#) of days to go. Only (#) of days to go." I woke up at 1pm, so it feels like the game is coming out today. I just need to get through three hours of work, then I'm getting in line.

I'm so excited. It's like Christmas morning.

[quote name='bmachine']I've got to assume that they're throttling the overnights to insure that no one gets it before release day. It'll probably go out today.[/quote]

I hope to god.

This better be on my door tommrow.

I can't remember being this excited for a game in a long while (AND paying full price for it), I'll be picking this up first thing in the morning tomorrow at CC.

Any groups of CAGs going to be jumping online on release day? If so, drop me a PM or an FR.

my status on Amazon says "shipping soon" which usually means it'll go out today...hope it gets home before I get home from work tomorrow so that I don't have to wait any longer.

[quote name='Allnatural']I must admit to cheating (sort of) in the previous games. After every mission, I'd punch in the cheats for full health and armor, save my game, then tackle the next one. Saved me the tedium of searching for health and armor pickups after the tougher missions.[/QUOTE]Did that cause you to be unable to finish the games? If I remember correctly, using a cheat code in Vice City (and saving) only made it impossible to get 100% completion, like there were one or two hidden packages you wouldn't be able to find. I'm pretty sure that in San Andreas, you couldn't finish the game if you saved with cheat codes. There's a mission where you have to park a vehicle under a guy jumping off a roof to save his life. I had a buddy that couldn't get there in time before he jumped, no matter what he tried. We assumed it was because he had used cheat codes. That was in the Vegas part of the game, and it kept him from being able to get any further in the game without starting over.

Him: :bomb:
Me: :rofl:

I'm really amazed at the level of hype for this sucker, reading all these posts of people salivating for it.

I'm excited for the game, and will love playing it. But for some reason I'm far more excited about other games, like Age of Conan and Gears 2. I have not wasted so much time at work looking up stuff about a game in years, compared to Age of Conan.

I only used cheats when I wanted to go freestyle rampage on the previous GTAs, and I imagine I'll be doing the same here. I think the cheat codes make this a true sandbox game, it's just whether or not you use them in missions that make it ok or not in my book. I never use cheat codes in the storyline stuff and never save after using them either, unless i have a special save just for cheats.

[quote name='Danimal']Did that cause you to be unable to finish the games? If I remember correctly, using a cheat code in Vice City (and saving) only made it impossible to get 100% completion, like there were one or two hidden packages you wouldn't be able to find. I'm pretty sure that in San Andreas, you couldn't finish the game if you saved with cheat codes. There's a mission where you have to park a vehicle under a guy jumping off a roof to save his life. I had a buddy that couldn't get there in time before he jumped, no matter what he tried. We assumed it was because he had used cheat codes. That was in the Vegas part of the game, and it kept him from being able to get any further in the game without starting over.

Me: :rofl:[/QUOTE]

Never had a problem with that stage after using cheat codes. I've never had any problems with 3, VC or SA after using cheat codes (but then again, some of the extra stuff I never did)

I'm renting this from gamefly. Will they allow me to keep it for $49.99, because that's the "keep it" price, or do I have to wait for the "buy it now" icon to become available? I'm wondering whether I should get this from them or from yf360g.com..

[quote name='xeno']who going to get their copy at a midnight launch today? i might[/quote]

Not only will I be there, I plan on documenting the whole event at my 1-up blog later. This is a night nerds everywhere will never forget.

:drool:

For anyone wondering, I ordered the regular 360 version from Amazon about 3 weeks ago, one-day shipping with Prime and I just got a shipping notice a few minutes ago, est. arrival is tomorrow.

[quote name='xeno']who going to get their copy at a midnight launch today? i might[/quote] You couldn't pay me. I'm not equipped with enough patience or tolerance to be able to deal with something like that.

How heavy is the special edition? Newegg shipped my package out yesterday and it says that it is 10.2 pounds. I ordered the regular version, so possible it could be the special one? :D

[quote name='thrustbucket']I'm really amazed at the level of hype for this sucker, reading all these posts of people salivating for it.

I'm excited for the game, and will love playing it. But for some reason I'm far more excited about other games, like Age of Conan and Gears 2. I have not wasted so much time at work looking up stuff about a game in years, compared to Age of Conan.[/quote]

The reason for the hype, at least my own personal hype, is that the 3-d GTA's have always raised their own bars. The level of quality and detail in each successive game has been unreal, and unmatched by any other gaming series, especially on such a grand scale.

And of course they have to release the damn game a couple of weeks before finals.

[quote name='Immortal fWd']I ordered via Amazon with their free shipping, got the email yesterday they it had shipped. When I tracked it, it has left Phoenix Sunday night, there's a good chance I may get this delivered today. I hope so.[/QUOTE]

Go Amazon free shipping! Mine showed up today!

[quote name='TehMuff1nM4n']How heavy is the special edition? Newegg shipped my package out yesterday and it says that it is 10.2 pounds. I ordered the regular version, so possible it could be the special one? :D[/quote]

That would rock! Of course, this doesn't help me anyway, but I love seeing someone win out in situations like these.

[quote name='Dandeschain']Yea, I'm gonna try and hold off until my finals are done next monday. Pray for me.[/quote]

Haha, Im with you on that. I've got my last final on Thursday night, so I'll probably miss a nights sleep when I pop GTA in. Although, I am picking it up either tonight or tomorrow so I can stare and caress my black lockbox and dufflebag.:lol:

[quote name='Danimal']Did that cause you to be unable to finish the games? If I remember correctly, using a cheat code in Vice City (and saving) only made it impossible to get 100% completion, like there were one or two hidden packages you wouldn't be able to find. I'm pretty sure that in San Andreas, you couldn't finish the game if you saved with cheat codes. There's a mission where you have to park a vehicle under a guy jumping off a roof to save his life. I had a buddy that couldn't get there in time before he jumped, no matter what he tried. We assumed it was because he had used cheat codes. That was in the Vegas part of the game, and it kept him from being able to get any further in the game without starting over.

Me: :rofl:[/quote]

I believe the rapper would jump off the roof if you used too many codes.

Like, if you used the weapons cheat a bunch of times, it would fuck up and you wouldn't be able to beat it. I remember I saved at the beginning of the game after using the Tier 2 weapon cheat three or four times, and that lasted me for pretty much all of the game.

[quote name='xtreme_Zr2']Haha, Im with you on that. I've got my last final on Thursday night, so I'll probably miss a nights sleep when I pop GTA in. Although, I am picking it up either tonight or tomorrow so I can stare and caress my black lockbox and dufflebag.:lol:[/QUOTE]

:lol: No worries for me there. Got my last grade in today, and I made a 3.53. Party!

I'll be at the Game Crazy on Lombard in Portland, Oregon tonight. They're one of the 10 with the "special" mid-night launch party. I got a call over the weekend and was informed that there was going to be a NFL 2k8 tournament (?!) and free pizza.

I'm a sucker for pizza. Hopefully they'll have the faceplates as well.

I just called to see if my GameStop had a lot of pre-orders and what a good time to show up would be..

Was told that as long as I had one, I'd get it tonight cause they weren't closing at all ("unfortunately.")
Small store too, sounds kind of dangerous for them to stay open all night.

I will be picking it up tonight at Meijer...

Also for those of you Midwesterners that have a Meijer, they are giving a $10 off coupon for any future video game purchase when you buy GTA IV. Just a heads up.

There is no effing way I would put up with a midnight launch.

I'm getting my sleep in and picking up a copy at 8:00 a.m. on Tuesday morning at Target.

[quote name='Immortal fWd']Go Amazon free shipping! Mine showed up today![/quote]

You are shitting me...with free shipping from Amazon...what the fuck?

[quote name='Razzuel']You are shitting me...with free shipping from Amazon...what the fuck?[/quote]

My order was placed in January and its been at "shipping soon" status since this morning...ordered with Amazon Prime overnight...I'm starting to worry that it won't ship today. It does suck that users who go with the free shipping got lucky and got it earlier.

[quote name='evanft']My yourfree360games.com order has shipped. Should get it Wednesday.[/quote]

YF360G shipping emails don't really mean the game has shipped. I'd say you're lucky if you get it by Friday.

I'm in the same boat you are.

Man, I just called Toys R Us to see if they might have mistakenly put it out on the shelf early, but the guy sounded like it wasn't even in stock yet. He said the delivery trucks usually come in on Tuesday, so it should be there "sometime."

I'm hoping he's just some random guy they put back in the videogames section that knows nothing.

I am growing a wee bit impatient.

*taps foot*

*a minute later*

*foot is four feet in the ground*

Ah! i huz ben eatn by teh tremorz :hot:

[quote name='LinkinPrime']My order was placed in January and its been at "shipping soon" status since this morning...ordered with Amazon Prime overnight...I'm starting to worry that it won't ship today. It does suck that users who go with the free shipping got lucky and got it earlier.[/quote]

It should be shipped tonight... I ordered mine last weekend with prime overnight and it showed "shipping soon" yesterday and today it shipped.

[quote name='ep2011']It should be shipped tonight... I ordered mine last weekend with prime overnight and it showed "shipping soon" yesterday and today it shipped.[/quote]

Here's hoping...

bread's done
Back