Great. Anyone else having PSP problems already? (got dead pixels?)

Despite my constant dissing of the PSP, I was thinking about heading out to get one (Hastings is putting out 20 this morning with no preorders whatsoever). At $250, it's something to think about. Then I looked at the game list.. the only thing out right now that i'd even consider getting is probably Metal Gear Acid.. maybe Darkstalkers.. but Wipeout, Ridge Racer, Twisted Metal, THUG2.. its all been done before.. ooh, maybe NFSRivals.. but even then, in the "coming soon" section, you get Fifa Soccer, Dynasty Warriors, Midnight Club 3, NBA Street Showdown, GTA.. all games we've seen before (aside from MC3, but its also coming out on other systems).

Where's the heavy hitters? Where are the games that make me want a PSP.. like Kingdom Hearts, Devil May Cry, any other RPG's? Timesplitters? Tekken? Burnout? Tenchu? Fight Night? ANYTHING besides what I can already find in the bargain bin at EB?

Have they announced any of those games for PSP!? Kingdom Hearts 2 PSP would RULE. That would DEFIANTELY make me go get a PSP. I guess I'll grab a DS with Mario, Warioware and Yoshi Touch and Go instead..

[quote name='Scorch']Despite my constant dissing of the PSP, I was thinking about heading out to get one (Hastings is putting out 20 this morning with no preorders whatsoever). At $250, it's something to think about. Then I looked at the game list.. the only thing out right now that i'd even consider getting is probably Metal Gear Acid.. maybe Darkstalkers.. but Wipeout, Ridge Racer, Twisted Metal, THUG2.. its all been done before.. ooh, maybe NFSRivals.. but even then, in the "coming soon" section, you get Fifa Soccer, Dynasty Warriors, Midnight Club 3, NBA Street Showdown, GTA.. all games we've seen before (aside from MC3, but its also coming out on other systems).

Where's the heavy hitters? Where are the games that make me want a PSP.. like Kingdom Hearts, Devil May Cry, any other RPG's? Timesplitters? Tekken? Burnout? Tenchu? Fight Night? ANYTHING besides what I can already find in the bargain bin at EB?

Have they announced any of those games for PSP!? Kingdom Hearts 2 PSP would RULE. That would DEFIANTELY make me go get a PSP. I guess I'll grab a DS with Mario, Warioware and Yoshi Touch and Go instead..[/quote]

Devil May Cry and Viewtiful Joe have been announced by Capcom

[quote name='A Happy Panda'][quote name='Scorch']Despite my constant dissing of the PSP, I was thinking about heading out to get one (Hastings is putting out 20 this morning with no preorders whatsoever). At $250, it's something to think about. Then I looked at the game list.. the only thing out right now that i'd even consider getting is probably Metal Gear Acid.. maybe Darkstalkers.. but Wipeout, Ridge Racer, Twisted Metal, THUG2.. its all been done before.. ooh, maybe NFSRivals.. but even then, in the "coming soon" section, you get Fifa Soccer, Dynasty Warriors, Midnight Club 3, NBA Street Showdown, GTA.. all games we've seen before (aside from MC3, but its also coming out on other systems).

Have they announced any of those games for PSP!? Kingdom Hearts 2 PSP would RULE. That would DEFIANTELY make me go get a PSP. I guess I'll grab a DS with Mario, Warioware and Yoshi Touch and Go instead..[/quote]

Devil May Cry and Viewtiful Joe have been announced by Capcom[/quote]

For PSP? They coming out anytime soon? If not, i'll just put the PSP on the Christmas list. I could DEFINATELY go for some Devil May Cry PSP.

[quote name='mykevermin']This is making me consider not getting a PSP this morning, and grabbing some games with my credit instead.

Oh boy...

Sigh.[/quote]

System? Got an idea of what you want?

//Scorch - not eager to help PSP lose a sell. Nope. Not me!

my walmart had shelves and shelves full....but im not buying one until the price comes down to at least $150...which could take a few years....yeah, sure, ill buy a few games here and there in the mean time if their are incredible sales going on, but other than that...im waiting

[quote name='Scorch'][quote name='mykevermin']This is making me consider not getting a PSP this morning, and grabbing some games with my credit instead.

Oh boy...

Sigh.[/quote]

System? Got an idea of what you want?

//Scorch - not eager to help PSP lose a sell. Nope. Not me![/quote]

I have every system at the moment; if EB's warranty covers dead pixels, I'll buy the system and warranty. If it doesn't, no dice.

myke.
...I don't have any pressing games on my want list at the moment.

[quote name='The Successful Dropout']my walmart had shelves and shelves full....but im not buying one until the price comes down to at least $150...which could take a few years....yeah, sure, ill buy a few games here and there in the mean time if their are incredible sales going on, but other than that...im waiting[/quote]

Yeah im going that route also.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Two questions perhaps someone could answer...

Is there gonna be a 1-2 month shortage like the DS? Or does anyone think I'll be able to get my hands on a PSP before the end of April. I say the end of April because I'll be going down to Anaheim and would like something to do in the airport, airplane, hotel, etc.

Also, is it even reasonable to think that these problems will be resolved by then?[/quote]

Anyone wanna answer my questions? Can anyone answer my questions?

well, none of us can really tell the future. There really shouldnt be a shortage, but it depends on how well they handle this mass dead pixel issue.

[quote name='hyuga']I went with a friend and got 2 units. Dead pixels on both! There is also dust under the screen. Needless to say we will exchange them. I expected more quality from a Sony product.[/quote]

I'm so pissed that mine had dead pixels and dust and a dead rat under the screen! I will bring it backl when the stores open in the morning and start kicking magazine racks over until I get RESPEC!

:cool:

With the expection of Warrior Within, GT4, Godfather, Advent Children, and Viewtiful Joe 2, that's one weakass lineup.

I'll stick with DS and their upcoming Metroid Prime, Viewtiful Joe, Castlevania, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Nintendogs, FF3, Harvest Moon, Zelda, Katamari Damacy, Sonic, and Kirby's Magic Paintbrush!

[quote name='Scorch']With the expection of Warrior Within, GT4, Godfather, Advent Children, and Viewtiful Joe 2, that's one weakass lineup.

I'll stick with DS and their upcoming Metroid Prime, Viewtiful Joe, Castlevania, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Nintendogs, FF3, Harvest Moon, Zelda, Katamari Damacy, Sonic, and Kirby's Magic Paintbrush![/quote]

I didn't think we were looking at the next 2 years worth of DS releases in one post... :D

[quote name='someone']For those of you who havent picked yours up yet.

Buy a warranty, and proceed to open and test each one in store, and have them switch it out right there and then. Make it a game, lets see who can get the highest dead pixel streak. If enough people do it, imagine the consequences.
[/quote]

Blued for Truf

Hmmm, will we see a rash of OPEN BOX PSP's at stores ;) hahaha

Glad I don't play handheld games.

I'm sure a LOT of people will have to suffer with Dead Pixels or wait for the store to get another shipment in also. I'm sure they don't have a lot of extra stock.

It's sad in a sense. Because people will tolerate dead pixels and other defects, sony will not move to want to make better products. Everytime something launches from them it is problem ridden. The fact that the Japanese systems had this problem along with the later released US systems is a slap in the face of all buyers. Many will go back and get another, many will tolerate it and be happy that they actually got one due to the supposed "shortages" of the systems. Meanwhile Sony will tally up all sales including returns and resales and hype these HUGE launch sale numbers for the system and act like nothing ever happened. At least Nintendo stepped up to the plate and handled business right away. Sony should have known better. I can't wait to see how Many PS3 systems get returned during that launch too.

[quote name='A Happy Panda'][quote name='A Happy Panda']Two questions perhaps someone could answer...

Is there gonna be a 1-2 month shortage like the DS? Or does anyone think I'll be able to get my hands on a PSP before the end of April. I say the end of April because I'll be going down to Anaheim and would like something to do in the airport, airplane, hotel, etc.

Also, is it even reasonable to think that these problems will be resolved by then?[/quote]

Anyone wanna answer my questions? Can anyone answer my questions?[/quote]

Probably not, because unless there is consumer outrage, Sony doesn't see it as a problem.

[quote name='Scorch']With the expection of Warrior Within, GT4, Godfather, Advent Children, and Viewtiful Joe 2, that's one weakass lineup.

I'll stick with DS and their upcoming Metroid Prime, Viewtiful Joe, Castlevania, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Nintendogs, FF3, Harvest Moon, Zelda, Katamari Damacy, Sonic, and Kirby's Magic Paintbrush![/quote]

I don't get why people put Advent Children in the PSP lineup, that Movie is coming out on DVD too. And the DVD is going to have a lot more features then the UMD version, Plus you can watch the DVD on a nice Big screen TV.

Anyway I'm with you, I'm sticking with my DS untill the PSP gets a better much lineup. There is just nothing coming out on the PSP that I want to play that I can't play all ready on one of my other home consoles. Plus I just don't trust Sony to buy 1st or 2nd rev systems. (US is 2nd rev)

[quote name='help1']Now this will prob make this Robber sad.[/quote]

I was talking to a Gamestop manager the other day, and he was saying how this one guy was trying to preorder 20 PSPs. Obviously he's not going to play all of those himself, but I just imagine on all the fun he's going to have dealing with any pixel issues that come up...

Anyways, I figure by the time the next (read actually decent, non-EA) NBA game comes out for PSP, most the hardware issues will have been dealt with so that's when I'll buy one.

[quote name='hyuga']I went with a friend and got 2 units. Dead pixels on both! There is also dust under the screen. Needless to say we will exchange them. I expected more quality from a Sony product.[/quote]

Is this a joke or are you new to gaming with sony products?

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Sounds like its a very widespread issue. You might have to trade it in a whole bunch.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesnt Sony's Manual state that Dead Pixels are Normal?

Edit: HAHA, there will be a shortage created because each person will have to go through 2 or 3 to find one that doesnt have dead pixels![/quote]

Shortage?

No each return will still count as a sale and therefore the user base will be million immediately. Dont you understand its inflating their sell through numbers?

Wow, I'm very happy I didn't pick mine up yet. I had one preordered at Gamestop and FYE and I'm going to find out which one has the best warranty and taking that one. I was going to pick up a 2nd for whatever reason but I think I'll cancel the preorder and use the credit on something else. Still pumped to get mine though.

On a side note there seems to be zero buzz about the PSP. Here's a summary of my long drive to work this morning.

6:45 checked out the BB close to my home...no cars, not too surprising I guess.
7:30 drove past the BB by my work and there were about 3 people waiting. (pretty sad considering the following...)
7:35 went into the Walmart across the street and they had about 25 PSP's sitting there waiting for buyers, saw one guy walking out with one.

Who will get all the psp's with the dead pixels, i don't think sony will refurbish any of these since that will mean that they have to refurbish more than half of their total units, will they lower the price on these units ?, i say they will go the easy way and not allow any returns on dead pixels !

[quote name='Samurai X']Who will get all the psp's with the dead pixels, i don't think sony will refurbish any of these since that will mean that they have to refurbish more than half of their total units, will they lower the price on these units ?, i say they will go the easy way and not allow any returns on dead pixels ![/quote]

Most likely the retailers will eat the costs of any allowed returns.

And a big one will be Walmart since they are so lax on returns.

This is kind of funny that history is repeating itself and Sony has assumed Nintendos hard headed and arrogant position.

Well crap. I was actually planning on going to the midnight release last night and decided I'd take a nap around 8:30 and get up around 11:30.

Well, 11:30 turned into 2:30 a.m.

So I get up and log onto CAG and see this thread. Now, I just don't know what to do.

I still want the PSP, but if there's this much problems with the units, I really don't want to bother with it.

On one end, I'm thinking about getting my money back and putting it towards my Wombat. On the other, I'm thinking about taking the money and buying a PSTwo and a preorder on God of War.

I have about three hours before I planned to go down to Gamestop and pick up the PSP, and now I'm really undecided as to what to do.

I think I'm gonna get my $320 back, buy a PSTwo and God of War, a few PS2 games and save the rest to put it towards my car.

I want to see what Sony plans to do about this problem. I'm not going to be one of those people who will run back and forth to Gamestop exchanging systems until I get one that works the way it was suppose to.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']Well crap. I was actually planning on going to the midnight release last night and decided I'd take a nap around 8:30 and get up around 11:30.

Well, 11:30 turned into 2:30 a.m.

So I get up and log onto CAG and see this thread. Now, I just don't know what to do.

I still want the PSP, but if there's this much problems with the units, I really don't want to bother with it.

On one end, I'm thinking about getting my money back and putting it towards my Wombat. On the other, I'm thinking about taking the money and buying a PSTwo and a preorder on God of War.

I have about three hours before I planned to go down to Gamestop and pick up the PSP, and now I'm really undecided as to what to do.

I think I'm gonna get my $320 back, buy a PSTwo and God of War, a few PS2 games and save the rest to put it towards my car.

I want to see what Sony plans to do about this problem. I'm not going to be one of those people who will run back and forth to Gamestop exchanging systems until I get one that works the way it was suppose to.[/quote]

Grave dont tell me your getting a new PS2 just for one game? Preowned?

Preorder? God of War is out now! ;)

pspwned.jpg

[quote name='JSweeney'][quote name='A Happy Panda'][quote name='A Happy Panda']Two questions perhaps someone could answer...

Anyone wanna answer my questions? Can anyone answer my questions?[/quote]

Probably not, because unless there is consumer outrage, Sony doesn't see it as a problem.[/quote]

you know.. one thing you can do.. is bring your PSone for the airport/hotel because it only needs to plug in the wall and you already know its going to work.. thats my suggestion though.. that or just the GBA at least it works.. has decent battery life and you can get great games for it.

but if you really really want that PSP..i don't think there will be this "shortage"..i'm not plopping down 250 for the PSP right now.. hell no.. i gotta save for xbox 2

well, I'll add my name in to the hat as a very happy PSP owner! I picked mine up this morning, and there are no dead pixels, no dust, nothing...it's perfect! I've been rockin' Wipeout all morning, and it is awesome.

I hate to hear of all you fellas having problems; this is a sweet little device if you get one with no defects. Hopefully you guys can all get it straightened out!

PS. To anyone still sitting on the fence - GET THE SERVICE PLAN! It cost $25 for a year at EB, and even though my PSP is fine now, I'm glad I paid the extra $$ just in case...

The PSP will also have to solve some technical challenges, most notably concerns about battery life. Sony estimates that a fully charged PSP battery will be good for four to six hours of game playing.

But Sony Computer Entertainment president Ken Kutaragi acknowledged in a Japanese press interview last month that those estimates were for playing a simple puzzle or card game with the screen dimmed, speakers turned off, and wireless connectivity disabled. Turn on all the bells and whistles and load up a graphically complex racing game, and the battery will drain faster. Nintendo's market-leading Game Boy Advance SP, by contrast, runs for more than 10 hours between charges."

it can play solitaire for only 4 hours with no sound and a dimmed screen

this means a full 3d game with sound, bright screen, and wireless won't last long at all. that's unacceptable.

[quote name='evilmax17']The sudden switch from rabid-excitement/hype to buyers-remorse/bitterness is delicious.[/quote]

I was actually thinking about going through with my preorder but not now.

I cant wait to see the pissed off customers on ebay leaving negativ feedback due to the sellers selling dead pixeled machines.

And I garuntee that Sony counts all of the shipped PSP's as sales.

i'm going to BB today to check it out...

i can't believe people are thinking about getting one in spite of this widespread problem. if i paid $250 for anything, it better come out of the box shiny and new and in 100% working order. i don't care if just half the pixel is dead, its going back if its not what i expected. it just sucks that each return is a positive on Sony's books.

how can stores refuse returns on defective products out of the box (referring to the GR post above)?

I think I'm going to hold off for now after hearing all of these problems. I was on the fence but leaning towards waiting... now I definitely will even though I play my GBASP fr at least 2 hours every day on the commute to and from work. I thought the PSP would be perfect for me but like someone above said, if I pay $250 for something it better freaking work like it is supposed to.

People need to realize that Sony won't change their horrible policies/quality control until buyers stop flocking to purchase consoles with known defects.

You know the PSP is poorly manufactured, why do you spend $250 on it?

According to an email allegedly sent out by the online retailer, Video Games Plus, Sony will not replace dead pixels in the PSP’s LCD screen. The malfunction is not under warranty.

The following email was reproduced in this forum:

“To all customers that have preordered a PSP unit,

There have been significant issues regarding the PSP unit and software which have arisen in the past 24hrs that we must update you on. We have already started to receive inventory and begun processing and getting orders ready to ship. The issues are as follow.

DEAD PIXEL WARRANTY AND TESTING…

We have just been infomned by Sony that they will not be warranting any dead pixel units. They are only warranting hardware defects ie broken buttons, malfuction with drive and so on. Dead Pixels are not considered a defect by Sony of America and will not be warrantied. With this new developement, Video games Plus will no longer be testing PSP units for dead pixels before shipping.

...Videogamesplus.ca sincerely apologizes for any inconveince this has caused any of our customers. Unfortunately with the late Sony announcements and decisions we have been left in a position to do our best to serve you under these unforseen circumstances. As always we appreciate your business and look forward to continuing to serve you in the outmost professional and courteous way.

Sincerely,
Steve Fiocco
President
www.videogamesplus.ca”

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Maybe within a few weeks, given the uproar in the community and the media, Sony will probably have no choice but to reverse their decision to not give a damn about dead pixels.[/quote]

Not likely...it's been out in Japan for how long, and these problems are still prevalent? Sony's just sent a big fuck you to the gaming community, and told them they're going to take it and pay for it and like it.

bread's done
Back