Great. Anyone else having PSP problems already? (got dead pixels?)

[quote name='bottlenut'][quote name='slimpip'][quote name='bottlenut'][quote name='Scorch']With the expection of Warrior Within, GT4, Godfather, Advent Children, and Viewtiful Joe 2, that's one weakass lineup.

I'll stick with DS and their upcoming Metroid Prime, Viewtiful Joe, Castlevania, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Nintendogs, FF3, Harvest Moon, Zelda, Katamari Damacy, Sonic, and Kirby's Magic Paintbrush![/quote] :cool:

Good things come to those (DS owners) who wait. PSP yet one more example of overpriced, overhyped hardware. A great gaming machine, but little else. Read Fortune/Wall Street Journal takes if you still doubt.
:twisted:[/quote]

You confuse me with your contradicting statements o_O[/quote]

No contradiction. Great (but pixel-imperfect) gaming machine. But good for little else. All the add-ons (MP3, Movies) but a gimmick cause they're all running off the same little Sony memory stick, which is way, way too small to be of any use. No threat to iPods, and after the "wow" factor of the new portable fades, no one will buy the movies ... not when they can simply watch (and rent them) and view on a 36-inch HDTV.[/quote]

Ah, I see what you meant.

You do know they have 1 gig sticks right :) Great for movies. But, I do agree with you on the mp3s and the UMD movies. There is no way in hell I'm gonna carry the PSP around for mp3's (already tried it with an import, not cool :?). And anyone who buys a UMD movie should be banned from CAG or not allowed, unless you are a superhuge fan of said movie. :)

Bottlenut is a DS fanboy i've gotten into it with him before about this. Yeah good things come to those who wait about 9 months for the good games to come out for the ds. And dont gimme the BS about wario ware, which was a let down, and yoshi's shit on my wallet, which was a huge let down. I guess i got mario 64, but than again i could have just hooked up my 64 for that, but i'm not going to get into that crap here. I also will go enjoy more of my wow factor while i play Twisted metal online. Let me know when nintendo releases a next gen handheld thx... :roll:

[quote name='Maynard']Bottlenut is a DS fanboy i've gotten into it with him before about this. Yeah good things come to those who wait about 9 months for the good games to come out for the ds. And dont gimme the BS about wario ware, which was a let down, and yoshi's shit on my wallet, which was a huge let down. I guess i got mario 64, but than again i could have just hooked up my 64 for that, but i'm not going to get into that crap here. I also will go enjoy more of my wow factor while i play Twisted metal online. Let me know when nintendo releases a next gen handheld thx... :roll:[/quote]

Wrong again, Maynard. And clean up your language. Curious that a "DS Fanboy" would call the PSP a great gaming machine. Read the entire thread next time, and get your facts straight before piping in.

:cool:

I posted this a little earlier, but I returned my first PSP back to Gamestop because there was a dead pixel on the left side of the screen. The one I have now has two specks of dust under the screen. I noticed it when I took it out of the box. I played Lumines on the PSP and it wasn't too noticible, but my eyes kept drifting back to the speck of dust that's close to the middle of the screen.

I was reading a post a few pages back about taking apart the PSP and using a dust cleaner to blow out the dust. Should I do this or return the PSP back to Gamestop? One other thing about this PSP I got is the disc tray for the UMDs. When I close it, the side closer to the L button is sticking out just a little bit. When I look at the system from atop, the side close to the R button is completely closed while the side close to the L button is sticking out a little. Is this a defect? I was thinking of purchasing one from Target and refunding the one from Gamestop. How's the return policy from Target? Do they take them back if they have dead pixels?

[quote name='parking lot pimp']I was thinking of purchasing one from Target and refunding the one from Gamestop.[/quote]

GameStop doesn't give refunds on open systems. Nor does any place of business for that matter.

[quote name='mykevermin']I would love to find out the actual percentage of units with dead pixels.

I'm reluctant to believe some people who claim to have perfect systems, only b/c dead pixels can be difficult to see; I played Metal Gear Acid for 5 days before I noticed any on mine.

myke.
...I haven't opened up my US console yet...I'm gonna go cross my fingers.[/quote]

Make a few JPEGs in one solid color large enough to fill the screen, red blue and green. Any bad pixels should be very easily spotted by viewing all three of these on the PSP.

[quote name='epobirs'][quote name='mykevermin']I would love to find out the actual percentage of units with dead pixels.

I'm reluctant to believe some people who claim to have perfect systems, only b/c dead pixels can be difficult to see; I played Metal Gear Acid for 5 days before I noticed any on mine.

myke.
...I haven't opened up my US console yet...I'm gonna go cross my fingers.[/quote]

Make a few JPEGs in one solid color large enough to fill the screen, red blue and green. Any bad pixels should be very easily spotted by viewing all three of these on the PSP.[/quote]

Well, yes.

Perhaps I might even go do such a thing.

If it weren't for the fact that the PSP I have is so filled with dust (*dozens* of specks, literally speaking) that I'm not even bothered by the prospect of DP/SP. This dude's filthy and going back today.

myke.
...good gawd my brain hurts today.

Love the screen.
Love the UMD format.
Love the ability to watch movies, listen to music and play games all on 1
portable format.

Like the analog "nub".
Like the upcoming games.
Like the possibility of cheaper UMD movies.
Like the possibility of downloading movies, games or demos.

Mildly annoyed by the dead pixels.
Mildly annoyed at the fact that this thing is widely available everywhere, and my pre-order wasn't 100% neccessary.
Mildly annoyed by the PSP-haters/DS fanboys and PSP fanboys/DS haters alike.

Hate the price.
Hate the price.
Hate the price.
Hate the price.

Ok so my first PSP didn't have dead pixels but it was dusty as hell. Switched it for a second one which eventually did have a dead pixel.

So today, at Best Buy, I got my 3rd PSP which had a wavy pattern on the screen and a bright spot. Got that changed for a 4th one and it was finally decent. No dead pixels that I can see(using that zip file of images) but 1 little dust particle.. Eh. I think I can live with it..

[quote name='hyuga']

My friend went through 11 PSPs until he got 2 good ones. I went through 4. They had at least one problem that was visible while playing. Either dead pixels, marks (like dents or bubbles) on the plastic screen cover or dust/hairs below the plastic screen cover.

IWhat is really upsetting is that Sony does not seem to care if the customer is not satisfied. At least the retailer and the employee were very helpful.
[/QUOTE]

2/15 ... just about the same odds that Sony has of convincing those-that-know-better that this is a practical, cost-effective device for playing movies or songs. ... games, yes. Beyond that, forget it. No with that piddly-little memory card and the battery limitations.

If Sony REALLY cared about its customers it would have confined this nifty, little handheld to games and more games, and nothing more.

The add-ons are what forced this to be at this high price point -- features that will ultimately be little used. ... Do I smell PSP2 ... for the "rest" of us??!?

[quote name='bottlenut']2/15 ... just about the same odds that Sony has of convincing those-that-know-better that this is a practical, cost-effective device for playing movies or songs. ... games, yes. Beyond that, forget it. No with that piddly-little memory card and the battery limitations.

If Sony REALLY cared about its customers it would have confined this nifty, little handheld to games and more games, and nothing more.

The add-ons are what forced this to be at this high price point -- features that will ultimately be little used. ... Do I smell PSP2 ... for the "rest" of us??!?[/QUOTE]

That's 3/15 actually, since he said the first guy went through 11 to find 2 good ones. Right now I'm 0/4. My first one had probably 7 or so stuck pixels. Took it back to Best Buy. #2 had lots of dust and a scrape on the lcd itself, #3 had a stuck red pixel right in the middle of the screen. #4 looked alright at the time, but it's got about 5 stuck pixels total, one of which is in the center left of the screen and is really noticable. I'm debating whether to trade this one in or not.

On an unrelated note, I have a 512 MB Pro Duo stick I bought just for the PSP, and it's showing that I only have about 466 MB of free space left. I've got less than 2 MB of game saves on there, and that's it. Even the 32 MB card that came with it, it's showing only 30 MB available, even after reformatting. Can anybody enlighten me as to what's up (or point me to a thread dealing with it)?

I've got 2 dead pixels in the left corner but they don't really bug me. However, the one dust particle in the center of the screen is driving me nuts.

Anybody try taking theirs back to EBGames yet to exchange units? I didn't buy the warranty when I purchased it, but I'm beginning to think I better purchase one now...

The descrepancy in mempry is probably due to the formating itself, I know most MP3 players that claim to be about 10 or 20 gb are usually short by a few mb due to nessecary data that allows it to run correctly.

I went into a GameStop today to take advantage of their DVD sale, and while I was there I asked if they had any PSPs in stock. The guy said he had four still in stock, that are not pre-orders. The odd thing however, is that he said the entire staff has been telling people interested in a PSP to hold off on picking one up until the next production run. I suppose it might just be my area, but he said of the ones that they personally got in stock, as well as all other video game stores and retail stores in the area, since he knows many people that works around here, that the majority of the PSPs had some sort of fault with it. Have it be a high number of dead pixels, more than just a single piece of dust under the screen, or whatever. He ever said that just in his store, about 4-6 of the PSPs were shipped to them without the battery even included in the system/box.

It might just be my area, but every store I've talked to personally have reported problems with the launch, with a great number of returns and exchanges.

Any idea on when the next production run for the PSP will be? I have no clue how that works.

There are a few specks of dust in the upper right corner of my psp, and I initially thought that there were no dead pixels but I soon found 3. Two are in the lower left corner and one is in the lower right corner. It's sad to say this but I consider myself to be one of thee luckier ones since my display defects are only in the corners. If I traded it in I'd probably get a worse unit. :whistle2:/

Mine has a speck of dust in the center, and about two dead pixels, I can only see them if i slant the PSP in an angle, but I did find that my screen has little dents like dust was stuck inside the glass and they couldnt make it smooth enough...not sure If i'm going to exchange yet.

well... mine has a red dead pixel and a white... kinda pissed about it, but genna call my local eb first for replacement and if they give me crap I'm calling sony and genna bitch them out if they don't send me a replacement... I really like my PSP a ton, but if I were sony, I would make this thing top priority if they want to keep customers happy with them...

mine has no dead pixels. although i understand why someone who didn't notice a dead pixel for four days might think i haven't noticed mine yet, please rest assured- i'm ok. hopefully if you didn't notice for four days it isn't an issue for you. i'm all for getting sony to change a no warrenty on lcd screen policy and trying to ensure everyone can return product to retailers when not happy. but those of you who are advising people to return psps over and over again are acting out of spite, and in the long run that practice is going to make it harder for consumers to return product. retailers don't make much selling systems and if you eat into their profit magins it will be like returning dvds or software-- a bigger pain than it should be.

The more I look, the more I realize that I have 5 dead pixels. They aren't really noticeable unless I'm playing video or the back of the screen is black, but it really is annoying when watching a movie or TV show. At first I couldn't even see them. Even when using the pictures. I guess I just didn't look closely enough, or somehow they just appeared. Hopefully, Sony will have an easy process like Nintendo, but if they don't then I guess i'll have to wait a while..

The process sounds to be similar to getting your PS2 repaired if it has DREs. Put it in a box with a cover note and repair code given to you buy sony and ship it UPS for like 20 bucks, get it back a few days later and play.

No dead pixels, but a couple spots with imperfections in the glass. I'll live with it since the imperfections can only be seen on certain angles and I have a screen protector on there now.

look reeeeeeal close at a tv screen or lcd monitor. see the little blocks that make up the colors? now imagine one was dead or stuck as a single color.

That's a dead or stuck pixel

been through 3 PSPs

one with two dark pixels, one with 7 bright pixels, and one with two stuck red pixels....

after returning the last one, just got my money back....i was really looking forward to this but i guess i will just wait awhile and see if sony straightens things out...although i doubt they will change their stance

does anyone know who is making these lcd screens? just wondering because if sony went with the lowest bidder to save $5-10 per PSP, that is just silly...i would gladly pay an extra $25 dollars or more to not have these pixel problems be so widespread....

I didn't relize I had 2 dead pixels until 3 hours into playing.

Everyone who is whining and has less than 5 is making wayyyyy to big a deal out of this.

What pisses me off even more is when people scorn the psp without ever even seeing a pixel. They are so freaking tiny and insignifigent.

[quote name='soonerdoc']...i would gladly pay an extra $25 dollars or more to not have these pixel problems be so widespread....[/QUOTE]

LOLOLOLOL ....no you wouldn't. Nice sentiment though. :D

[quote name='Alpha2']LOLOLOLOL ....no you wouldn't. Nice sentiment though. :D[/QUOTE]

what i meant was i would gladly pay an extra $25 for my PSP (have it be 275 instead of 250) if the chance of getting a perfect screen was better (like 90% instead of the 0% as i have experienced) still realizing that you MAY get a few dead pixels...right now i feel like its an 80% chance there will be SOME dead pixels...

i know the LCD process, but i can tell you i have a 1280*768 50 inch plasma tv and three 1024*768 LCD computer monitors and there isn't a single bad pixel on any of them....

[quote name='soonerdoc']i know the LCD process, but i can tell you i have a 1280*768 50 inch plasma tv and three 1024*768 LCD computer monitors and there isn't a single bad pixel on any of them....[/QUOTE]

I want your job.

Problem is no one else would buy it for 275. Sure you understand the ins and outs of the LCD process but the consumer dosent nor would they care that they had to spend 25 bucks more for a better product, incase you havent seen the boards a lot pf people say they wouldn't have bought the system at 250 even before they knew there might be a DP issue and some have been saying for 250 it should already be perfect.

You can't please everybody.

Got my 5th PSP tonight. First one had 9 stuck, 2nd had a bunch of dust / scrape on LCD, 3rd had a stuck red pixel dead center on the screen, and the 4th, though it looked good in the store and I took it home, had 8 stuck pixels. This new one, #5, only has one stuck pixel. After the luck I've had, I'm just gonna live with it. I love the system otherwise, and I only notice it on loading screens. Plus, I paid for Best Buy's replacement plan (which I didn't have to use up on these initial returns since they're within 30 days of initial purchase), so within the next 2 years I will be swapping it out for another anyway.

My computer monitor is 1920x1200 and I have 0 dead pixels :)

Sony should outsource the LCD screens to the same people that do the Dell LCD Screens perhaps.

Chris

I didnt even notice my psp had any dead pixels till last night and I got it at release lmao :(
Last night i found 1 near the top right. But its only1 so ill consider myself lucky and not even bother exchanging it ^_^

[quote name='abilyk']Got my 5th PSP tonight. First one had 9 stuck, 2nd had a bunch of dust / scrape on LCD, 3rd had a stuck red pixel dead center on the screen, and the 4th, though it looked good in the store and I took it home, had 8 stuck pixels. This new one, #5, only has one stuck pixel. After the luck I've had, I'm just gonna live with it. I love the system otherwise, and I only notice it on loading screens. Plus, I paid for Best Buy's replacement plan (which I didn't have to use up on these initial returns since they're within 30 days of initial purchase), so within the next 2 years I will be swapping it out for another anyway.[/QUOTE]

Hold on a sec, if we get the PSP replaced after the first 30 days, the plan is used up and we have to buy a new plan? We don't get unlimited replacements over the 2 years?

[quote name='doomgaze_86']Hold on a sec, if we get the PSP replaced after the first 30 days, the plan is used up and we have to buy a new plan? We don't get unlimited replacements over the 2 years?[/QUOTE]

No, that's how it is with any warranty. You have to buy a new one when you get the product replaced, regardless of how much time is left on the warranty before it would expire.

I'm genna call sony next thursday since they say people should wait two weeks before calling. Have 2 dead pixels, one makes it hard to read text in metal gear acid and the other confuses me when I play Twisted Metal, since it's bright red, and right over where the radar is in Twisted Metal... :(

20050330l.jpg

:rofl:

ARgh...finally found 3 wonky pixels while playing Metal Gear Acid. This pisses me off. They aren't noticeable, in the other 5 games that I have tho. We shall see.

I'm on my second PSP, and it does have one stuck pixel in the lower left, and something else under the screen on the mid-right that's only noticble on the green menu screens.
My first one had two stuck on the right side, and one stuck pixel smear (3-4 pixels) near the center.

I'm hanging on to this one, as the single stuck pixel is only noticable on black, and it's way down at the bottom.

The Apple PowerBook G4 I'm typing this on has max. res. of 1280 X 854. I owned it for two years before noticing the one stuck pixel in the upper-right center of the screen.
And I still have to look for it.

I don't think I'm pressing too hard, but the analog control "nub" seems to be bending a little at the top edge.

[quote name='bsesb2003']I don't think I'm pressing too hard, but the analog control "nub" seems to be bending a little at the top edge.[/QUOTE]
I think the same thing is happening w/mine.

[quote name='soonerdoc']does anyone know who is making these lcd screens? just wondering because if sony went with the lowest bidder to save $5-10 per PSP, that is just silly...i would gladly pay an extra $25 dollars or more to not have these pixel problems be so widespread....[/QUOTE]
That'd be Sharp. Outside of LCD screens for TV's and portable devices, they're only really known for low-end TV's, VCR's, and such.

Really, though, LCD's are their business. Nintendo's been using them since the beginning with Game & Watch.

bread's done
Back