Green Lantern Film - Box Office Flops (Director Leaves; Reviews=Bad; WB puts Embargo)

I wish they had included Gardner, that could have made the movie. I see Clancy Brown is the voice of Parralax, thinking the voice actors have more talent than the actors actually appearing in the movie.

[quote name='sotc1988']God dammit, I was looking forward to this. I like Captain America, but that movie isn't getting me very excited. Green Lantern was supposed to be THE superhero epic I could really get behind this summer. I'm still tempted to see it, but I hate sitting through a long, bad movie.[/QUOTE]

X-Men First Class?!

[quote name='Anexanhume']X-Men First Class?![/QUOTE]

Yes, I saw that movie. I liked a lot of it, but a majority of the final act wasn't too good.

[quote name='Stonecoldfreak1']I just got back from watching this and I'm not exactly sure if I liked it or not.[/QUOTE]
If you're feeling that way, it's most likely because you didn't like the movie more than the parts you did.

[quote name='elessar123']I will probably watch this when it's on tv, like Dare Devil.[/QUOTE]
Seemed people actually liked Daredevil more than Green Lantern.

Daredevil RT = 45%

Green Lantern RT = 23%

[quote name='shrike4242']I guess next time, they should be pulling from story lines like these:

http://io9.com/5811647/totally-demented-green-lantern-storylines-that-wont-be-in-the-movie

xlarge_arisia6.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Green Lantern the pedophile child molester...

Nice one DC, nice one.

Can't wait for him to rescue my kids... no wonder critics are saying it's a "Kid's Movie" :lol:

/facepalm.

Regarding the news about Warner Bros placing an Embargo for movie reviews for Green Lantern...

Well, apparently not only is it because the reviews were bad... but also because WB is already in the middle of development for the Green Lantern sequel.

In other words, they could stand to lose MORE than the $300 million they put into the 1st movie if it doesn't do well, coz that will basically halt any chance of the sequel already in development, and lose more $$$ on the cost on the already on-going production.

That's Hollywood for you, but apparently WB counted their chickens before the eggs even hatched.

Warner Bros. was already in development for a Green Lantern sequel

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1665719/green-lantern-sequel-ryan-reynolds.jhtml

Ryan Reynolds was still busy in a blue-screen studio bringing the starry magic of "Green Lantern" to life when Warner Bros. started moving ahead with plans for a sequel.

But with the first flick not hitting theaters until this Friday, the actor isn't going to spill all the details.

"I'm not throwing that out there at all," he said.

He did, nonetheless, toss us a few clues — most tantalizingly about what's in store for Jordan and Sinestro, an ally who eventually becomes one of Jordan's greatest enemies. "There's such a rich history with this character, so you get really excited about the possibility," Reynolds explained. "The inevitable war between Hal and Sinestro is something that will have to be dealt with in the second movie for sure, but there's always subplots and a lot of other interesting things going on that are setting up a possible third film."​
Ooh and a 3rd film too!

Speaking of premature sequels...

Geek sites have given this film a bad review too: IGN, Superhero Hype, Crave Online, and AICN... only Bleedingcool had the only semi-positive review (although reiterated "Green Lantern is a kids movie"). So far that's only 1 out of 5 gave a semi-positive review.

These are the sites, that we as fanboys ourselves, want to see stick up for the movie... but even they can't do it. Even the geek sites are not sure if there will be HOPE for a sequel (or at least a good sequel).

"Crave Online" gave a disastrous review; saying it's not a good start for a franchise.

http://www.craveonline.com/film/reviews/169451-review-the-green-lantern

Green Lantern is not the start of a blockbuster franchise

There are two kinds of people I pity this weekend: the people who are already Green Lantern fans and the people who aren’t. People who love the comics are going to be mighty disappointed by this movie’s mish-mash of disparate plot points, clunky action sequences and rushed storytelling. People who wouldn’t know a Green Lantern from a beige flashlight probably won’t know what the Sam Hell is going on.

Green Lantern doesn’t tell a story. It gives you the gist of it. What’s more, it changes just enough elements of the original story that worked that it makes you lose interest in learning more. It flies along at quick enough pace to keep you distracted for a couple hours but it doesn’t do its job. This is not the start of a great new blockbuster franchise. It may have already put an end to it.
"IGN" review says this movie gave no hope of seeing "The Flash" or "Justice League" movies come true:

http://movies.ign.com/articles/117/1175316p1.html

DC's latest superhero is a Cosmic Fail

Last summer gave us the DC bomb that was Jonah Hex and this summer offers the colossal disappointment that is Green Lantern. The epitome of spectacle over substance, Green Lantern is a cosmic mess and a huge letdown given the source material it had to draw from. Indeed, X-Men: The Last Stand and Wolverine are better than Green Lantern. This was DC and Warner Bros.' best bet yet at establishing a deeper bullpen of big screen superheroes beyond Batman and Superman, but the film is bad enough to possibly kill any hope for ever seeing The Flash or Justice League.

I can't stress enough what a setback the creative failure of Green Lantern is for DC and Warners' plans for a broader DC cinematic universe akin to Marvel's. Even if the movie makes money (I'm sure it will open strongly and probably do well overseas), it's not a film that DC or Warners can honestly say they're happy with. If DC and Warners had hoped this would be their Star Wars (a comparison the filmmakers have been all too happy to make for months now) then Green Lantern only offers fans the wonder of the creature-filled cantina scene, but none of the thrill of the Death Star run or the emotional resonance of any of its iconic characters. No, this isn't DC's Star Wars. It's not even their Last Starfighter; it's their Flash Gordon, but without the cool tunes or self-aware cheesiness. It's a frustrating, deeply flawed film rife with missed story opportunities and squandered potential. Green Lantern deserved better.
"Ain't it Cool News" another great comic book movie site was disappointed in the film too and possible sequels:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/50046

A lifeless superhero film

There are moments when GREEN LANTERN comes to life - the first 20 minutes and the last 20 minutes the film rouses itself enough for the audience to begin to care what they are seeing - but there's so much fat, so much wasted time that it doesn't earn those moments at the end that want to be triumphant. It shouldn't have been this way.

GREEN LANTERN needed to embrace the wacky, weird, silly nature of the comic, and not waste so much time getting to the point. You could feel the audience wanting the film to take them to those places, but it refuses, insisting on going the cliched superhero origin route. Martin Campbell never really lets the film go where it and the audience want it to go, except in brief moments. The film strains to be let free to soar, but the terrible script, the direction, and the editing keep this bird grounded. It's a real wasted opportunity. If a sequel does happen, Warner Brothers needs to find a way to let the movie go as big as it wants, and as silly as it wants. Otherwise, it's just another bland, lifeless superhero film.
"Bleedingcool" has a semi-positive review but reiterates this as a "Kids Movie":

http://www.bleedingcool.com/forums/s...-Green-Lantern

Green Lantern is a kid's movie, fanboys can enjoy

What are we doing for the original comic book audience? My 8-year-old wouldn’t enjoy a Nolanverse movie, even if I let her watch one. Green Lantern is crafted from the ground up as a daft, entertaining romp that’s a hell of a lot closer to Rise of the Silver Surfer than The Dark Knight Rises. You can get a sense of the demographic the studio might be after when the first trailer before Green Lantern is Happy Feet 2.

Green Lantern is a kid's movie. It's a kids movie that fanboys can enjoy. If they can just lighten up a little.
"Superhero Hype" called it a big disappointment for the summer.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/ar...-green-lantern

Green Lantern one of the bigger disappointments of the summer

As a life-long comic book fanboy and a more recent Martin Campbell apologist, there was a strong chance my expectations and hope "Green Lantern" would do for DC Entertainment what Marvel Studios has done for Marvel Comics characters could very well have superseded my critical judgment.

Unfortunately, the idea that Geoff Johns' "Secret Origins" would be used as a template are dashed fairly early in favor of a blueprint that comes from previous comic book hits "Iron Man" and "Spider-Man."

There's sure to be someone out there in the cosmos who enjoys this take on Green Lantern -- small children and those without overly-critical tastes in entertainment -- but it just fails on so many levels, both as a movie and as a comics adaptation, that it's easily one of the bigger disappointments of the summer.
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/green_lantern/

Even "Rotten Tomatoes" (owned by Warner Bros) can't hide the fact the movie is off on the wrong foot from both the media and fanboys reviews, and it's looking to bomb.

Speaking of premature sequels...

Not even the "Geek Sites" aka comic book fanboys can save the movie, even for a potential sequel.

"Superhero Hype"

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/167577-review-green-lantern

Green Lantern one of the bigger disappointments of the summer

As a life-long comic book fanboy and a more recent Martin Campbell apologist, there was a strong chance my expectations and hope "Green Lantern" would do for DC Entertainment what Marvel Studios has done for Marvel Comics characters could very well have superseded my critical judgment.

Unfortunately, the idea that Geoff Johns' "Secret Origins" would be used as a template are dashed fairly early in favor of a blueprint that comes from previous comic book hits "Iron Man" and "Spider-Man."

There's sure to be someone out there in the cosmos who enjoys this take on Green Lantern -- small children and those without overly-critical tastes in entertainment -- but it just fails on so many levels, both as a movie and as a comics adaptation, that it's easily one of the bigger disappointments of the summer.
"Comic Vine"

http://www.comicvine.com/news/movie-review-green-lantern-fails-to-shine-brightly/143225/

Green Lantern Fails to Shine Brightly

If you're looking for the big summer blockbuster movie, sadly, it will not be Green Lantern. There's no question that everyone should be aware of this movie. You can't walk the city streets without seeing bus posters, billboards or ads on the sides of busses for the movie. Commercials have flooded television with images of what Warner Bros. hopes is their next big movie franchise.

I won't say it was a horrible movie. There were moments I did enjoy. Unfortunately they were overshadowed by the bad parts. I think the movie is worth watching for comic fans, as long as you can watch without getting angry.
"IGN"

http://movies.ign.com/articles/117/1175316p1.html

DC's latest superhero is a Cosmic Fail

Last summer gave us the DC bomb that was Jonah Hex and this summer offers the colossal disappointment that is Green Lantern. The epitome of spectacle over substance, Green Lantern is a cosmic mess and a huge letdown given the source material it had to draw from. Indeed, X-Men: The Last Stand and Wolverine are better than Green Lantern. This was DC and Warner Bros.' best bet yet at establishing a deeper bullpen of big screen superheroes beyond Batman and Superman, but the film is bad enough to possibly kill any hope for ever seeing The Flash or Justice League.

I can't stress enough what a setback the creative failure of Green Lantern is for DC and Warners' plans for a broader DC cinematic universe akin to Marvel's. Even if the movie makes money (I'm sure it will open strongly and probably do well overseas), it's not a film that DC or Warners can honestly say they're happy with. If DC and Warners had hoped this would be their Star Wars (a comparison the filmmakers have been all too happy to make for months now) then Green Lantern only offers fans the wonder of the creature-filled cantina scene, but none of the thrill of the Death Star run or the emotional resonance of any of its iconic characters. No, this isn't DC's Star Wars. It's not even their Last Starfighter; it's their Flash Gordon, but without the cool tunes or self-aware cheesiness. It's a frustrating, deeply flawed film rife with missed story opportunities and squandered potential. Green Lantern deserved better.
"Bleeding Cool"

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/06/15/review-green-lantern/

Green Lantern is a kid's movie, fanboys can enjoy

What are we doing for the original comic book audience? My 8-year-old wouldn’t enjoy a Nolanverse movie, even if I let her watch one. Green Lantern is crafted from the ground up as a daft, entertaining romp that’s a hell of a lot closer to Rise of the Silver Surfer than The Dark Knight Rises. You can get a sense of the demographic the studio might be after when the first trailer before Green Lantern is Happy Feet 2.

Green Lantern is a kid's movie. It's a kids movie that fanboys can enjoy. If they can just lighten up a little.
"Ain't it Cool News"

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/50046

A lifeless superhero film

There are moments when GREEN LANTERN comes to life - the first 20 minutes and the last 20 minutes the film rouses itself enough for the audience to begin to care what they are seeing - but there's so much fat, so much wasted time that it doesn't earn those moments at the end that want to be triumphant. It shouldn't have been this way.

GREEN LANTERN needed to embrace the wacky, weird, silly nature of the comic, and not waste so much time getting to the point. You could feel the audience wanting the film to take them to those places, but it refuses, insisting on going the cliched superhero origin route. Martin Campbell never really lets the film go where it and the audience want it to go, except in brief moments. The film strains to be let free to soar, but the terrible script, the direction, and the editing keep this bird grounded. It's a real wasted opportunity. If a sequel does happen, Warner Brothers needs to find a way to let the movie go as big as it wants, and as silly as it wants. Otherwise, it's just another bland, lifeless superhero film.
"Crave Online"

http://www.craveonline.com/film/reviews/169451-review-the-green-lantern

Green Lantern is not the start of a blockbuster franchise

There are two kinds of people I pity this weekend: the people who are already Green Lantern fans and the people who aren’t. People who love the comics are going to be mighty disappointed by this movie’s mish-mash of disparate plot points, clunky action sequences and rushed storytelling. People who wouldn’t know a Green Lantern from a beige flashlight probably won’t know what the Sam Hell is going on.

Green Lantern doesn’t tell a story. It gives you the gist of it. What’s more, it changes just enough elements of the original story that worked that it makes you lose interest in learning more. It flies along at quick enough pace to keep you distracted for a couple hours but it doesn’t do its job. This is not the start of a great new blockbuster franchise. It may have already put an end to it.

wow they have big fucking balls to try and make a sequel right after the first one before knowing if people would like it or not fucking arrogance. now maybe they will take a chance on green arrow or some other franchise or stick with the animated movies alot of those have been damn good.

See WB/DC doesn't get it..........They've wasted too much time f'ing around and now Marvel is working on their biggest/baddest movie for next year...it's too late to make the justice league movie.

[quote name='ITDEFX']See WB/DC doesn't get it..........They've wasted too much time f'ing around and now Marvel is working on their biggest/baddest movie for next year...it's too late to make the justice league movie.[/QUOTE]

if they cant pull off gl i dont see them being able to make a good enough jl film. they should really stick with solo character movies id like to see a future batman flick with red hood as the main villan that way you could have tim drake as robin and dick can be nightwing.

Batman vs Predator movie would probably be better than a Justice League movie at this point. I mean, no one wanted to pick up Wonder Woman either. GL had a much better shot than the Flash or Green Arrow.

Well luckily working in a comic book store we often get free tickets from local theater. So I went to tongiht for free, since Id not paid to see this.

And whole fucking shit is this a god awful mess. Its noisy, its every cliche you can imagine, the acting isnt even suitable for a summer action flick, its boring and practically everything that could be wrong, is wrong.

I was fucking laughing during the credits, the god damn movie had 7 writers. 7. Jesus 2 writers is enough to ruin 99% of the movies out there but 7? Then you toss in a shit director whos films include legend of zorro, no escape and vertical limit and a main actor who only has the fixed expression of "hey im ryan reynolds. These are my muscles" constantly on his face and you have a recipe for a shit fest film. It doesnt even deserve the 24% rotten tomatoes has it at.

And like I said, the CG helped kill it in a big way because it was way over used and cheap. If I want to see a CG based movie thats good Ill watch a pixar film.

If anyone here wants to save money dont go see this is you have half a brain cell left. Granted they werent masterpieces but go see xmen first class or thor instead if you want a super hero flick.

Honestly I didn't think it was as bad as everyone has said. It wasn't great, Paralax was wasted and Hammond was just ridiculous, but it could have been worse. The Guardians
forging a yellow ring and Sinestro wanting to use it was a nice little hint at the future.

I saw this last night and didn't really have a huge problem with it. I didn't enjoy Thor all that much, but it was entertaining enough. I felt that Green Lantern was on par with Thor considering the sheer suspension of belief required for both movies, although, First Class was a superior film, though not by much. In all honesty, I enjoyed Green Hornet much more.

[quote name='Clak']Honestly I didn't think it was as bad as everyone has said. It wasn't great, Paralax was wasted and Hammond was just ridiculous, but it could have been worse. The Guardians
forging a yellow ring and Sinestro wanting to use it was a nice little hint at the future.
[/QUOTE]
In that case
I hope you stayed a couple minutes into the end credits because you see him put the ring on.

I liked it. It was no Dark Knight but it was good. The only thing that seemed to be lacking was action. The fight scene with Hammond was a little cheesy, and the lack of a fight scene with paralax was a bit dissapointing but other than that I thought it was pretty good.

[quote name='dohdough']I saw this last night and didn't really have a huge problem with it. I didn't enjoy Thor all that much, but it was entertaining enough. I felt that Green Lantern was on par with Thor considering the sheer suspension of belief required for both movies, although, First Class was a superior film, though not by much. In all honesty, I enjoyed Green Hornet much more.[/QUOTE]
Curiously had to see it just because I had $8 in movie cash.

What I really HATED was the final battle.
Near beginning, you had Sinestro gathering the 3,000 Lantern Corps to prepare to battle the Parallax as the galaxy's greatest threat who has already killed 5-6 Green Lanterns including Abin Sur.

Fast forward 50 minutes later, you have a Rookie Hal Jordan defeat Parallax all by himself in less than 5 minutes movie time by constucting a boxing glove and punching Phallanx into the sun!

That's it. Where the hell were the other 3,000 Green Lanterns!!?

LAME.

Stupid build up for the lamest final battle ever.

Thank God I didn't waste a whole $12 to see this CRAP.

Last edited by a moderator:

Near beginning, you had Sinestro gathering the 3,000 Lantern Corps to prepare to battle the Parallax as the galaxy's greatest threat who has already killed 5-6 Green Lanterns including Abin Sur.

Fast forward 50 minutes later, you have a Rookie Hal Jordan defeat Parallax all by himself in less than 5 minutes movie time by constucting a boxing glove and punching Phallanx into the sun!

[/spolier]
LAME.

-

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']maybe you should use spoiler tags.[/QUOTE]

Trust me, I'm saving you your $12 to watch something else.

[quote name='Jcaugustine']-

Trust me, I'm saving you your $12 to watch something else.[/QUOTE]

Some people plan to see it regardless of what you say (shocking, I know) so don't be a douche and use spoiler tags.

I'm planning to see it tonight, but of course now I'll know how it ends, so thanks.

Spoiler Quote
[quote name='Jcaugustine']Curiously had to see it just because I had $8 in movie cash.

LAME.

[/QUOTE]

LMAO!

Damn, I totally forgot about that!

What a totally wasted scene with Sinestro. And I already thought the last battle was short and dumb, but I totally forgot about the other GL Corps members not even being there, which makes the whole scene even worse!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

[quote name='dohdough']In that case
I hope you stayed a couple minutes into the end credits because you see him put the ring on.
[/QUOTE]
No i didn't, but I knew he did.

[quote name='Jcaugustine']Curiously had to see it just because I had $8 in movie cash.

LAME.

[/QUOTE]Remember,
he specifically asked Sinestro to let him try, because at that point the Guardians thought it was a losing battle anyway. Losing one more GL was better than thousands. I guess that they never thought of using the sun, which is probably the dumbest part, that he'd think of that and no one else would.

[quote name='Clak']Remember,
he specifically asked Sinestro to let him try, because at that point the Guardians thought it was a losing battle anyway. Losing one more GL was better than thousands. I guess that they never thought of using the sun, which is probably the dumbest part, that he'd think of that and no one else would.
[/QUOTE]
Did you also notice that the training Hal had with Toma-Re, Kilowog, and Sinestro only lasted about 4-5 minutes in real time? Not movie running time, but acutal real time? The training scene never had a break meaning it was 4-5 minutes of real time training.

That was pretty lame too for a rookie to do what 3,000 other GL's and thousand of year old Guardians couldnt.[/spolier]

Even for a guy like me, who knew a lot about GL going in, this movie was confusing. I think that if you just HAVE to see this movie, then see it. I set my expectations SUPER low after the torrent of bad reviews and I managed to enjoy some of it.

What really pissed me off was that the theater was projecting a 2D movie through the 3D lens which made the movie insanely dark and hard to see. Here's a pretty informative article on how to avoid this problem: http://collider.com/movie-theaters-dim-2d-projection/92418/ I would have asked for a refund but my group just wanted to watch the movie.

[quote name='Clak']Honestly I didn't think it was as bad as everyone has said. It wasn't great, Paralax was wasted and Hammond was just ridiculous, but it could have been worse. The Guardians
[/QUOTE]

Same. The movie was definitely not among the best of comic movies but I enjoyed it more than say X3 or Origins Wolverine.

Box Office: Green Lantern Bombs

http://www.deadline.com/2011/06/green-lantern-makes-3-35m-midnights/

Warner Bros' 3D Green Lantern ($21.6M Friday, dropping -21% for $17.1M Saturday, and only a $53M weekend) underperforms, unable to meet even the studio's lowered expectation for North America despite the higher 3D ticket prices.

Green Lantern had well-known actor Ryan Reynolds playing the superhero, yet won't come near that other non-sequel Thor's recent $65.7M opening weekend for Marvel yet starring a complete unknown. Even though for weeks now, Green Lantern had been tracking better than Thor, which also was tasked with introducing a superhero to moviegoers.

Warner Bros and DC Entertainment began freaking out Friday about the continuing negative buzz around Green Lantern especially the bad reviews.

The movie went $50 million over budget, and cost Warner Bros over $200 million to produce with an overall $300 million total after marketing.

I almost wish they made just enough money to warrant a sequel, and then really try and make a good movie with that one. Not just something that barely qualifies as an okay movie.

[quote name='sotc1988']I almost wish they made just enough money to warrant a sequel, and then really try and make a good movie with that one. Not just something that barely qualifies as an okay movie.[/QUOTE]

Same. The first one was kind of blah but a sequel with
Sinestro and Yellow Corps War like we saw in the comics
could have been really awesome. If this movie severely under performs though it's likely we'll never see that scene in the credits come to fruition.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Same. The first one was kind of blah but a sequel with Sinestro and Yellow could have been really awesome. If this movie severely under performs though it's likely we'll never see that scene in the credits come to fruition.[/QUOTE]
There's always Direct to DVD.... cartoons.

I saw it yesterday. It was not nearly as bad as certain people in this thread would try to make you believe. I'd say it's a 7/10 movie. Better than Thor, but not nearly as good as First Class.

Saw it last night and thought it was great. Don't see how it was too kid-friendly and too cliche?. I mean its a damn comic book movie and a origins story at that. How can it not be cliche? I did set my standards extra low this time because of the reviews but was not disappointed at all and can't wait to watch it again when it hits netflix.

[quote name='whoknows']I saw it yesterday. It was not nearly as bad as certain people in this thread would try to make you believe. I'd say it's a 7/10 movie. Better than Thor, but not nearly as good as First Class.[/QUOTE]

I thought Thor was pretty good for what it was. Are you a Green Lantern fan, because the fans seem to rate this movie a bit higher.

[quote name='docvinh']I thought Thor was pretty good for what it was. Are you a Green Lantern fan, because the fans seem to rate this movie a bit higher.[/QUOTE]

I like Green Lantern but I'm not a huge fan.

And Thor was good (way better than I was expecting honestly), I just liked Green Lantern better.

bread's done
Back